Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Romeo and Juliet (Blu-ray)
$21.50
9 hrs ago
12 Angry Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
21 hrs ago
The Fisher King 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
18 hrs ago
Triangle of Sadness 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.54

Secret Admirer (Blu-ray)
$17.99
9 hrs ago
Jet Li Double Feature: The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
The Seventh Seal 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Westworld: Season Four 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

House of the Dragon: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.50
1 day ago
Red Eye 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Doctor Who: William Hartnell - Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$49.69

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 04-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #1

Dec 2007
Default Blu-ray PC forum Purpose

The purpose of this part of the forum:

From the title this part of the forum was made exclusively for:

Blu-ray PC's, their drives, recordable media, and software (pertaining to the operation of blu-ray on a PC and or Mac platforms).

This does not include :

Blu-ray's themselves (movies) - we have another section for that all together
The PS3 system - it has its own forum - and you are more than likely to find more PS3 experts in that part of the BD forum than in the PC part.
Firmware for standalone players. Standalone players also have their own forum (Thanks Dadkins I knew there was something else )

Please do not be offended when I move such topics to other forums - I'm actually trying to put it a place that a member can get expert help quickly.

Prerich

Last edited by prerich; 04-09-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

... or firmware for stand-alone players.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #3

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadkins View Post
... or firmware for stand-alone players.
Thanks Dadkins!!!
Old 09-14-2009, 03:09 AM   #4
Banned

Sep 2009

Nice work--thank you for sharing-
Thanks so much for this. I appreciate the effort. It really helps a lot.
Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
Banned

Nov 2009
Default Firmware

Yes this would be a good place for info about firmware for stand-alone players.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #6

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFanta View Post
Yes this would be a good place for info about firmware for stand-alone players.
No, I think you are misunderstanding - this is not a good place for firmware - that's covered in the Blu-ray standalone forum. PC players generally do not need firmware updates - they are software players and have updates on the software player. If you need information on firmware updates please visit the Standalone forum
Old 12-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #7

Dec 2009
Default use BD-live to stream from network

Hi,

I have the LG HB354BS (similar to Pioneer BCS-FS500) player/cinema set.

I wonder if it would be possible to create my own BD-Live Blu-ray disc that would allow me to download/stream content from the network.

My player does have network connection (it allow you to watch youtube video's) but it doesn't have any smb/dlna network streaming features.

The "allow unsigned bd-live internet access" setting made me wonder if it would be possible to burn my own BR (or DVD?) disc that has a little BD-live menu that allows me to watch media on my own network storage (using HTTP and mp4 for example).

Just one link like http://192.168.1.1/movie.mp4 would be fine, something like http://server/list_of_movies.html/xml would be fantastic.

Would this be possible or are these trailer features all very limited? What would be the best authoring software for this.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #8

Jan 2010
Default Sony VAIO WINDVD BD will not work even with new update to OEM posted 1/8/2010

I purchased a Sony VAIO VGN-FW245J that came preloaded with WINDVD BD V.8 and VISTA Home Premium 64-bit. When I upgraded to Windows 7 all Sony programs were deleted and had to be re-installed as Sony posted them. They have posted 2 updates to the OEM WINDVD BD but neither work. I am contemplating buying CinePlayer BD but can find no reviews as to whether it will work on my Sony VAIO? I use toast on my Mac and have owned Mac for years and loved Roxio products. I needed a PC due to work. Anyone using CinePlayer BD on Windows 7 64-bit system? Since I only want to play Blu-Ray movies on the Sony why pay $100 for Arcsoft or PowerDVD? BTW: I am done with Sony thanks to the service on the VAIO.

Roxio CinePlayer® BD Price: $49.99
http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/ci.../overview.html
Old 04-30-2010, 04:37 AM   #9

Apr 2010
Default Sony vaio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyoung11 View Post
I purchased a Sony VAIO VGN-FW245J that came preloaded with WINDVD BD V.8 and VISTA Home Premium 64-bit. When I upgraded to Windows 7 all Sony programs were deleted and had to be re-installed as Sony posted them. They have posted 2 updates to the OEM WINDVD BD but neither work. I am contemplating buying CinePlayer BD but can find no reviews as to whether it will work on my Sony VAIO? I use toast on my Mac and have owned Mac for years and loved Roxio products. I needed a PC due to work. Anyone using CinePlayer BD on Windows 7 64-bit system? Since I only want to play Blu-Ray movies on the Sony why pay $100 for Arcsoft or PowerDVD? BTW: I am done with Sony thanks to the service on the VAIO.

Roxio CinePlayer® BD Price: $49.99
http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/ci.../overview.html
I am bit dissapointed with SONY ! I just bought a SONY VAIO Laptop with Blu Ray disc player and it does not work. After 2 months usage, i get all sorts of problem with SONY laptop ! I heard the HP Blue Ray laptop is be best
Old 02-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #10
Banned

Feb 2011
Default fly

wangfly, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. As a new member you do not yet have the privilege to create new threads, but you are welcome to participate in other discussions.
2. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #11

Feb 2011
Default surface measurement using blu-ray laser pick up...

For my final year project I propose to use the Blu-ray laser unit from a disk drive (something like a KEM-410ACA, without all the problems of using a sony part) to measure surface roughness. I will relate the proportional analog signal from the voice coil motor that focuses the laser dot on the surface of a disk to the a profile of the micro peaks and valleys on the surface. Or possibly the focus error signal. .

I will need a stand alone power up sequence for the product and will have to control the motor and get the laser into auto focusing mode.

Do you have any suggestions on a unit I can buy that I will be able to get some non-standard technical support with. Also I will need to have easy access to full schematics including pinout configurations.

Sorry for just adding this post here but i'm a new member and cannot start a thread.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #12

Feb 2012
Default HELP! Mouse not able to be used for BD menu

Unable to play BD on PC. Brand new PC, BD drive installed. Now the menu comes up, but unable to use mouse at all for the menu. Is there anything that can be done to allow me to use the mouse for the menu? Or anything else that can be done to get the BD to play outside of the startup? A keyboard, software, anything? Please, I am desperate for some help on getting the disks to play. Only issue is being the mouse. Tells me that mouse clicking is not supported.

Thanks!
RA
Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #13

May 2009
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlatchley83 View Post
Unable to play BD on PC. Brand new PC, BD drive installed. Now the menu comes up, but unable to use mouse at all for the menu. Is there anything that can be done to allow me to use the mouse for the menu? Or anything else that can be done to get the BD to play outside of the startup? A keyboard, software, anything? Please, I am desperate for some help on getting the disks to play. Only issue is being the mouse. Tells me that mouse clicking is not supported.

Thanks!
RA
Yeah some blu-rays actually disable mouse use, usually those particular titles tell you that, well, atleast they do in PowerDVD, when you load the disc.

PowerDVD can enable mouse support, not sure how it does it, but the option comes up for me when i have that issue.

Don't you have keyboard? just buy a cheap USB one from a tech store..
Old 02-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
Yeah some blu-rays actually disable mouse use, usually those particular titles tell you that, well, atleast they do in PowerDVD, when you load the disc.

PowerDVD can enable mouse support, not sure how it does it, but the option comes up for me when i have that issue.

Don't you have keyboard? just buy a cheap USB one from a tech store..
PowerDVD and Arcsoft both allow for an on-screen remote that allows you to use your mouse to control. I'm not near my Sony running PowerDVD at the moment, but it's an icon down near the playback buttons that allows me to bring the remote up.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #15

Mar 2012

Hi

I have just bought a Dell PC with a blu ray player, it has Windows 7 and uses cyberlink power dvd to play the blu ray. I am using a HDMI cable and it is plugged into the tv as the monitor.

When I try to play a blu ray disc I just get a black screen.

Any ideas?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #16

Oct 2012
Default Help!

Hello everyone....nice to make your acquaintance

I'm wondering if you might help me out? I'm a Mac/OSX user (Mountain Lion) and wanted to play blu-ray's on my iMac. Now then, I purchased a Panasonic UJ260 and MacBluRayPlayer and.........it all worked beautifully I can play discs, copy them and everything was great. Then it fell over

Yesterday I received a shiny, new, pre-order of Prometheus. On putting it on, I started getting digital clutter on the screen. I can only describe it like if you have satellite and all the crap you get on screen when it is bad weather.

I've written to MacGo who said get the latest version of the software (had it already anyway) and they have not responded. Trying to find if the drive needs a firmware update is like pulling teeth! Just as a little more background, I took Prometheus round to my grandson and it played beautifully on his PS3. However, at the beginning of the disc, it did say that that this disc uses the very latest technology and the player might need an update. Don't know if this is a red herring though.

Any help, thoughts or ideas would be welcome. Please be gentle though as I'm a complete novice in this area.

Many thanks.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodders1952 View Post
Hello everyone....nice to make your acquaintance

I'm wondering if you might help me out? I'm a Mac/OSX user (Mountain Lion) and wanted to play blu-ray's on my iMac. Now then, I purchased a Panasonic UJ260 and MacBluRayPlayer and.........it all worked beautifully I can play discs, copy them and everything was great. Then it fell over

Yesterday I received a shiny, new, pre-order of Prometheus. On putting it on, I started getting digital clutter on the screen. I can only describe it like if you have satellite and all the crap you get on screen when it is bad weather.

I've written to MacGo who said get the latest version of the software (had it already anyway) and they have not responded. Trying to find if the drive needs a firmware update is like pulling teeth! Just as a little more background, I took Prometheus round to my grandson and it played beautifully on his PS3. However, at the beginning of the disc, it did say that that this disc uses the very latest technology and the player might need an update. Don't know if this is a red herring though.

Any help, thoughts or ideas would be welcome. Please be gentle though as I'm a complete novice in this area.

Many thanks.
I have a MacBook Air (2012 model) and I tried playing blu-rays with the Mac blu-ray player software. It's really bad and it can't even display the menu properly. I suggest you install windows 7 on your Mac using Bootcamp. That's what I did. I use Mountain Lion for everything but boot to windows to play blu-rays with PowerDVD 11 software.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #18

Aug 2013
Question I have a Emachine with Dvd-Rom its not a blu ray

I want to know if it would make more sense to upgrade the DVD rom to a blu ray drive instead.And if so where would be the best place to purchase one for a reasonable price.

I have a 20" monitor that I use for basic facebook games and such but my 32" HDMI TV that I use for DVDS.I currently do not own a DVD player I only use my PC.SO I was thinking of upgrading to Blu ray ether a player for the tv or for the PC.And since I use my PC for everything I was considering purchasing a Blu Ray Drive.

I was just wondering if it was worth it or not with replacing my PC drive and only having a 32" tv in my room.

I may even upgrade my TV during Black Friday still not shore though.

So any advice would be great thank you.And god bless.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #19

Aug 2013

Hi all,

I bought a new Dell XP8700 desktop was blu ray drive and it comes preinstalled with powerDVD 10. I was looking to buy blu rays from the amazon uk store and was just wondering if the software would be able to play "uk 50i" blu rays? Please help or suggest a player that will play the format.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Leo
Old 08-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #20

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnrenee88 View Post
I want to know if it would make more sense to upgrade the DVD rom to a blu ray drive instead.And if so where would be the best place to purchase one for a reasonable price.

I have a 20" monitor that I use for basic facebook games and such but my 32" HDMI TV that I use for DVDS.I currently do not own a DVD player I only use my PC.SO I was thinking of upgrading to Blu ray ether a player for the tv or for the PC.And since I use my PC for everything I was considering purchasing a Blu Ray Drive.

I was just wondering if it was worth it or not with replacing my PC drive and only having a 32" tv in my room.

I may even upgrade my TV during Black Friday still not shore though.

So any advice would be great thank you.And god bless.
Upgrade, buy a drive from Newegg, and there are several players out there ...Arcsoft Total Media Theatre, PowerDVD13, and WinDVD 11 Pro are the most popular. I've also tested Leawo Bluray Player and it works pretty good too.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software