Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Switch)
$39.99

Cooking Mama: Cookstar (Switch)
$39.99

SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated (Switch)
$24.88

Team Sonic Racing (Switch)
$25.60

Jump Force (Switch)
$41.88

BioShock: The Collection (Switch)
$29.99

Catherine: Full Body (Switch)
$38.99

Monster Jam Steel Titans (Switch)
$27.99

Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions (Switch)
$49.94

Death Mark (Switch)
$59.49

Super Neptunia RPG (Switch)
$25.97

Fate/Extella Link (Switch)
$49.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 08-08-2020, 10:55 PM   #9581
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

History of Nintendo hardware shipments from FY1983-2020.

Nearly 770 million units of Nintendo console hardware has been shipped to date.

Peak year was FY2008/09 when over 57m units of Wii / DS hardware was shipped.

Shift to hybrid strategy is working well for Nintendo, it is performing well but not necessarily growing the market like Wii and DS did.

Dedicated handheld gaming devices have died out, replaced by dedicated hybrid devices and smartphone gaming (to be boosted by cloud too).

Nintendo Switch is driving a rebound in the handheld space due to its hybrid nature.

This is what the chart above looks like with Switch included.

Switch is indeed replacing both Nintendo's living room console and its portable console.

But not (yet) achieving greater (i.e. combined) hardware unit sales - or greater reach/penetration - as a result.

https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/stat...26930167734272
Old 08-08-2020, 11:14 PM   #9582
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

Comparing sales of the Switch to the combined sales of Wii and DS at their peak is incredibly foolish and looking for interpretations out of data that is simply not there. In those years they hit on two simultaneous phenomenons, expecting anything to match that or even get close is ludicrous.

In less than 3.5 years the system has outpaced all other Nintendo home consoles except the Wii. Regardless of our current software complaints as gamers, they have also moved a mountain of software as well. The system has been a smash financial success for the company. That’s the objective truth.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:32 AM   #9583
Expert Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Comparing sales of the Switch to the combined sales of Wii and DS at their peak is incredibly foolish and looking for interpretations out of data that is simply not there.
Yes, I believe that is one of the slightly less-well known classic blunders.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #9584
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
People wonder why Nintendo has no games due out but why would they need any when they are literally rolling in money from the little they have released.

Nintendo is unique though in the fact circa 80% of its games are 1st party compared to Xbox/PS who's library is made up of around 80% 3rd party games.

I wish Nintendo would work with some more 3rd parties to get a better work flow going and get some more releases and new IPs out.
Not sure what you mean, but the vast, vast majority of Switch games are third party. Even with just retail releases so ignoring the tons of digital only indies which release every week, you maybe average one first party game a month (probably less this year due to COVID issues) and frequently get 10+ third party games in a month.

But true that the best selling Switch games tend to be first party, different from GTA and Call of Duty dominating PlayStation and Xbox sales.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:03 PM   #9585
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Nintendo is unique though in the fact circa 80% of its games are 1st party compared to Xbox/PS who's library is made up of around 80% 3rd party games.
That was true for the Wii U, but not the Switch. The majority of games are 3rd party. Nintendo has made very few 1st party games for it compared to the vast library from 3rd parties. Switch is getting a ton of 3rd party support.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #9586
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2011
Clarksburg, WV
Send a message via Skype™ to Gold Ranger

When they combined Stationary and Portable studios, we all thought the output would be equal to what was before, turns out, it is far less!
WtF happened?
Old 08-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #9587
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

Ring Fit back in stock at Best Buy for anyone still looking.
Thanks given by:
heyadol (08-10-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 07:36 PM   #9588
Power Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Ranger View Post
When they combined Stationary and Portable studios, we all thought the output would be equal to what was before, turns out, it is far less!
WtF happened?
Portable studios were small teams who were making 240p 3DS games. They were never going to pump out HD games that needed to look good on a TV and in portable mode unless Nintendo shelled out to expand their staffs with HD game development experts.

Remember, Nintendo flat out said that part of why the Wii U had so many droughts was that they found HD game development more challenging than they had expected.

Add in reports that all their game development, putting out Directs etc. was majorly delayed by Covid-19 and them being very ill suited to shifting to people working from home, and we are where we are.

Just is what it is with an old fashioned company ran by a bunch of out of touch old farts. Sony ate their lunch starting with the PS1 by realizing that the key market was teens and young adults and that North America and Europe are the key areas. They hired younger executives and gave their North American and European wings a lot of power and autonomy, while Nintendo remained an old fashioned, Japanese centric company stuck in their ways, including the tradition of older employees who had done their time being hired as CEO etc. Iwata was one exception and that's when we saw them think outside the box with the Wii and DS and achieve record success. Though of course he was still around for the Wii U debacle....

As I've said at the rate of being a broken record, people just have to accept that Nintendo are what they are and if you aren't person who loves nearly every game they do, they'll never be your main or sole platform. Their fine as a second (or third+) platform to play a few games a year on, but that's it outside their diehard fans or casuals that only play a few games a year.
Thanks given by:
Diesel (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 07:52 PM   #9589
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2011
Clarksburg, WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Portable studios were small teams who were making 240p 3DS games. They were never going to pump out HD games that needed to look good on a TV and in portable mode unless Nintendo shelled out to expand their staffs with HD game development experts.

Remember, Nintendo flat out said that part of why the Wii U had so many droughts was that they found HD game development more challenging than they had expected.

Add in reports that all their game development, putting out Directs etc. was majorly delayed by Covid-19 and them being very ill suited to shifting to people working from home, and we are where we are.

Just is what it is with an old fashioned company ran by a bunch of out of touch old farts. Sony ate their lunch starting with the PS1 by realizing that the key market was teens and young adults and that North America and Europe are the key areas. They hired younger executives and gave their North American and European wings a lot of power and autonomy, while Nintendo remained an old fashioned, Japanese centric company stuck in their ways, including the tradition of older employees who had done their time being hired as CEO etc. Iwata was one exception and that's when we saw them think outside the box with the Wii and DS and achieve record success. Though of course he was still around for the Wii U debacle....

As I've said at the rate of being a broken record, people just have to accept that Nintendo are what they are and if you aren't person who loves nearly every game they do, they'll never be your main or sole platform. Their fine as a second (or third+) platform to play a few games a year on, but that's it outside their diehard fans or casuals that only play a few games a year.
No need to bring corona into this when they've had droughts since it released 3 years ago.
And some of those 240p developers came from higher quality projects, they know how to do HD games.
Nintendo needs/ed to start learning years ago, when the PS3/60 was out.
They partially did, but not enough. They should know by now though.
And even still, you have two divisions now merged. Why are stories, plots, music, ideas not being utilised by Nintendo's 1st & 2nd party developers?
Where is Platinum?
Where is Monolith?
Where is Tantalus?
Where is Grezzo?
Where is Retro?
Where is 1-Up?
Where is EPD? Zelda, obviously...
Where is Game Freak? This is the only one that seems to be always working on something.
Where is HAL? Smash is pretty much already done, if not fully complete, and Nintendo are just releasing the updates in intervals. Still doesn't explain why they aren't releasing stuff.
Where is Intelligent? They did Fire Emblem, but they have a ton of other IPs they can do something with.
Where is Sora? See HAL...
Old 08-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #9590
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2011
Clarksburg, WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post

I've been playing Nintendo games since the N.E.S. first came out.
I have been a die hard Ninty fan for as long as they and I have been around.
The Switch, for me, is their first real mis-step. It's a great idea of a system, but everything about it has been executed from okay to terrible.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #9591
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

Platinum released two games within the last year and has multiple other projects being worked on.

Monolith released a game two months ago and has multiple other projects being worked on.

Intelligent Systems released two games within the last year, one within the last three weeks.

Grezzo released a game less than a year ago.

Game Freak released two games and DLC in the last year with multiple projects currently being worked on.

Sakurai’s team is still working on 4 or 5 more DLC characters and updates for Smash.

Games take time to make. Nintendo as a whole needs to spread its projects better and optimize its development process absolutely but acting like there is nothing out there already from their major teams is laughable.
Thanks given by:
Batman1980 (08-09-2020), gundamcero (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #9592

Jul 2014

I was in Target today and was surprised to find a Switch in their game case. I almost bought it.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:16 PM   #9593
Power Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
The Switch, for me, is their first real mis-step. It's a great idea of a system, but everything about it has been executed from okay to terrible.
I started with the NES as well. Nintendo lost their ability to be my main or sole platform with the N64. Iíll never stop playing Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc., but they went to the back burner once the cinematic, story-driven stuff on PlayStation, PC and Xbox overtime pulled me in that direction as my tastes changed.

That said, Switch has been my favorite Nintendo console since probably the SNES as Iíve dumped a lot of hours into the games Iíve enjoyed on it. To be fair, Iíve always played Nintendo handhelds a ton. Their games are great on a small screen and leave my TV gaming time for the more powerful consoles and PC games that take advantage of it with their power and not being so locked into cartoony graphics. Nintendo games are great for me for playing on a handheld while half paying attention to the game and half to sports or whatever on the TV. They make very few games anymore that are worth my full attention as my tastes shifted away from pure gameplay focused stuff. I need top-end graphics and strong stories for games to do that. Otherwise Iíd rather be watching a show or movie.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:44 PM   #9594
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Platinum released two games within the last year and has multiple other projects being worked on.

Monolith released a game two months ago and has multiple other projects being worked on.

Intelligent Systems released two games within the last year, one within the last three weeks.

Grezzo released a game less than a year ago.

Game Freak released two games and DLC in the last year with multiple projects currently being worked on.

Sakurai’s team is still working on 4 or 5 more DLC characters and updates for Smash.

Games take time to make. Nintendo as a whole needs to spread its projects better and optimize its development process absolutely but acting like there is nothing out there already from their major teams is laughable.
Yeah seriously. The entitlement and ignorance of some people is hilarious. Especially during these tough times.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:21 PM   #9595
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
They're going to need to do something. The current Switch hardware is going to continue to lose 3rd party support as devs move on to next gen hardware. I'd say at the very least, a Switch 2 will need to be somewhere on the level of the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X in terms of performance just to keep up at 1080p. But still, how will they deal with games that are designed to take advantage of the next gen SSD drives? I know Switch already uses cartridges but I don't think the read speed on those is enough to keep up. Not sure about it's internal memory read speed.
Sorry about the delayed reply. Been suspended. Yeah, itís hard to see where Nintendo will go. Maybe mixed reality is ripe for some new gaming angle? Nintendo donít do normal, so I guess it needs something fresh.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:46 PM   #9596
Expert Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Sorry about the delayed reply. Been suspended. Yeah, itís hard to see where Nintendo will go. Maybe mixed reality is ripe for some new gaming angle? Nintendo donít do normal, so I guess it needs something fresh.
Nintendo had functional AR on 3DS (and Sony on PSV), but it didn't get utilized much. I kind of don't see Nintendo going MR even though that would sort of align w/ their Blue Ocean strategy, the hardware cost is too high. With the evolution of AR on tablets (and smartphones, but who cares) it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see them add some cameras to their next device and try to bring something new to the table.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 11:39 PM   #9597
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyadol View Post
Nintendo had functional AR on 3DS (and Sony on PSV), but it didn't get utilized much. I kind of don't see Nintendo going MR even though that would sort of align w/ their Blue Ocean strategy, the hardware cost is too high. With the evolution of AR on tablets (and smartphones, but who cares) it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see them add some cameras to their next device and try to bring something new to the table.
Yeah, I just donít see where they could innovate next. Maybe, the future for Nintendo is as a service. They have some big draws after all.
Thanks given by:
heyadol (08-12-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 03:39 PM   #9598
Special Member

Jan 2012
Montana

Quote:
Virtual Boy, N64, Wii U, arguably the Gamecube...
Old 08-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #9599
Special Member

Jan 2012
Montana

I owned a SNES, Game Boy, N64, Game Boy Advance, Gamecube, DS, and 3DS. I skipped out on Wii and Wii U because I found the software/hardcore extremely underwhelming for the both of them.

With Switch on the other hand, I have been unable to keep up with releases because of the huge size of the library. I still need to buy Catherine, Bioshock, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest XI, Trails of Cold Steel, Paper Mario, Deadly Premonition 2... Hell, I still need Astral Chain and Luigi's Mansion 3.

Of course I also find handheld gaming extremely alluring with my busy lifestyle, so my experience doesn't reflect everyone's.

Last edited by jthefrank; 08-11-2020 at 05:17 PM.
Thanks given by:
Diesel (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 05:45 PM   #9600
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Sorry about the delayed reply. Been suspended. Yeah, it’s hard to see where Nintendo will go. Maybe mixed reality is ripe for some new gaming angle? Nintendo don’t do normal, so I guess it needs something fresh.
I posted this in another thread but I do wonder where Nintendo will go from here. Yes, the Switch is a success. However in the back of my mind I cannot help but feel it's long-term sustainability is very limited. The problem with Nintendo's "blue ocean" approach is it puts a lot of pressure on them because they can no longer iterate. It sort of forces them to HAVE to come up with the next big sensation every generation because I'm not so sure that simply iterating on the current Switch will be good enough, just like iterating on the Wii with the Wii U wasn't enough. Eventually the novelty of the Switch is GOING to wear off. Then what will Nintendo do? Just make a more powerful Switch? What good will that do them? It won't likely be enough of a leap to get 3rd parties to port their next gen games over and history has proven that 1st party alone cannot sustain a Nintendo console. So it forces them to have to come up with the next great big blue ocean idea and that is not always a foregone conclusion.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (08-11-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Tags
nintendo, switchô