Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$39.95

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Prototype 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.48
22 hrs ago
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dino King 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.49

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.92

Poppea / Poppea 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.49
12 hrs ago
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.36

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 04-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #541
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Round Rock, TX

I hope PSVR2 will be of high enough resolution that watching 3D BDs will be in the equivalent of 1080p.
Thanks given by:
presidentevil3d (04-08-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:58 PM   #542
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Surrey, BC
Question Your bluray 3D player not detected compatible 3D display

Hi,

I've had my PSVR for just over a year now, but decided to check out the 3D capability recently using my Dredd 3D blu ray.

The problem I have is I get the message stating that my bluray player hasnt detected a compatible 3D tv.

Does anyone know what I've goofed on in order to play the 3D thru my PSVR?

I have HDMI from my PS4 going into my Receiver and then to my TV. My receiver is most likely NOT 3D compatible, but not sure if that's required or not as the posts I've read haven't been clear.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:05 AM   #543
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
I hope PSVR2 will be of high enough resolution that watching 3D BDs will be in the equivalent of 1080p.
a quick google search:

ďJapan Display (JDI), a LCD manufacturer co-run by Sony, recently unveiled its 3.2-inch, 1,001 pixels-per-inch (ppi) displays with 2160 x 2432 resolution.Ē

It could be a sign of things to come. We will have to wait and see.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #544
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear28 View Post
Hi,

I've had my PSVR for just over a year now, but decided to check out the 3D capability recently using my Dredd 3D blu ray.

The problem I have is I get the message stating that my bluray player hasnt detected a compatible 3D tv.

Does anyone know what I've goofed on in order to play the 3D thru my PSVR?

I have HDMI from my PS4 going into my Receiver and then to my TV. My receiver is most likely NOT 3D compatible, but not sure if that's required or not as the posts I've read haven't been clear.

Thanks for your help in advance.
I just didnít use my audio equipment and used my headphones (you can use your TVs audio/sound bar also.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #545
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Surrey, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I just didnít use my audio equipment and used my headphones (you can use your TVs audio/sound bar also.
Thanks for the reply.

So are you saying I disconnect from my receiver? Iím slightly confuzzled.

I am able to get audio fine but not the movie in 3D. I thought for sure that the psvr didnít really care what amp things were connected to since the display is self contained.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #546
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear28 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

So are you saying I disconnect from my receiver? Iím slightly confuzzled.

I am able to get audio fine but not the movie in 3D. I thought for sure that the psvr didnít really care what amp things were connected to since the display is self contained.

Thanks
Yeah, I did. I couldnít be bothered to work out a solution. I just disconnected and used my headset with the PS4 without any connections to my home cinema equipment.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:10 AM   #547
Expert Member

Jul 2014
Egypt

Quote:
Yeah, I did. I couldnít be bothered to work out a solution. I just disconnected and used my headset with the PS4 without any connections to my home cinema equipment.
I just found a solution in another forum for this stupid problem.

I connected PSVR today to my sound system for the first time to watch some 3D movies with good sound but instead, I found out that audio only comes from the stupid tiny wired earphones that come with the PSVR.

I have a Sony STR-DN 1080 and in the remote, there is HDMI OUT button. I clicked on it until it said: HDMI Off and then audio came out from the AVR just fine!
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-06-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 12:18 PM   #548
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by r9800pro View Post
I just found a solution in another forum for this stupid problem.

I connected PSVR today to my sound system for the first time to watch some 3D movies with good sound but instead, I found out that audio only comes from the stupid tiny wired earphones that come with the PSVR.

I have a Sony STR-DN 1080 and in the remote, there is HDMI OUT button. I clicked on it until it said: HDMI Off and then audio came out from the AVR just fine!
Interesting. I was using the headset more as a experiment with the old fashioned cardboard 3D glasses lately. On the biggest setting, it looks great. I use Sony PlayStation Gold headset but I may give things a try now that you have found a solution. To be honest though, I am starting to enjoy the headphone and VR thing.
Don’t get me wrong, with my regular films and proper 3D, it’s the surrounds all day long. However, watching old style 3D with the glasses trapped in place under the headset and headphones feels like some kind of experimental movement that hasn’t found its movement! Probably just me that does this!

Of course with VR games, you get the 3D surround effect with good stereo headphones and it works great.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:36 AM   #549

Jun 2017

So with the shopping season about to be in full effect I was considering buying a PSVR and I am mainly to watch 3D Blu Rays and I thought I'd check here what should I know or be aware of when buying one? Also do 3D Blu Rays really look good? I don't have a 3D TV so this would be the first and only way to watch the 3D Blu Rays I have.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #550
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverfan98 View Post
So with the shopping season about to be in full effect I was considering buying a PSVR and I am mainly to watch 3D Blu Rays and I thought I'd check here what should I know or be aware of when buying one? Also do 3D Blu Rays really look good? I don't have a 3D TV so this would be the first and only way to watch the 3D Blu Rays I have.
The 3D blurays will look better on a tv or projector. Watched through a VR headset, the picture quality will be grainier and the colours will be less vibrant. It still looks HD quality, just not Blu-ray quality. This is not a issue that will persist as next generation headsets will have a much better resolution. 3D titles watched through next gen headsets should look just the same as on tvs and projectors.

However, as you probably know, 3D is hanging on by a thread, so of course future support is not guaranteed on ANY device bar the current PSVR headset.

If you are going this route, may I suggest the two options as I see them?

1. You could buy a PSVR now and keep hold of your PS4 even if you upgrade to PS5. That way, it guarantees you have 3D playback for at least the next few years.

2. Or you could risk it and wait to see if the PS5 supports 3D playback. If it does, it may offer improved visuals for 3D (although it would still be restricted to the headset’s resolution)

If the lesser visual quality of the PSVR is a acceptable trade off for enjoying your 3D Blurays, obviously option one is for you.

Now, on to the plus points for 3D through the headset.

The depth is very impressive.

The pop outs are astounding due to the screens being so close to your eyes.

You can adjust the screen size to get the equivalent of a 80 inch screen or on the biggest setting, 200 inch screen (rough equivalents)

I find the middle (80) inch screen the best compromise.

Also, there may be a app in the near future that will allow you to watch stuff in a simulated cinema, with all the seats, little details etc.. and different environments to suit your mood. This app is rumoured for 2020 but nothing confirmed.

So to summarise.

3D Blurays will look much sharper and vibrant on a OLED/LED tv or a projector

PSVR 3D Blu-ray quality is a little fuzzier, with grain and less vibrant colours. Obviously, part of this is because the image you are looking at is magnified. The other reason being the lower resolution of the headset.

Like I said, the 3D quality still looks HD (at least to me) and the 3D quality is excellent.
Thanks given by:
BossTweed (02-03-2020), StryperJedi (02-01-2020), Unblinking Stare (02-02-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 01:19 AM   #551
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Donít you just hate it when someone asks a question and you go to the trouble of writing a considered reply only for that person to not post again.
Thanks given by:
Unblinking Stare (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #552

Nov 2012
Bay Area

Quote:
Donít you just hate it when someone asks a question and you go to the trouble of writing a considered reply only for that person to not post again.
I enjoyed your thoughtful reply, Steedeel.

I just recently ripped my first 3D Blu-ray and converted it to watch on the Oculus Go via Skybox. The conversion process isn't complicated, but the initial setup (installing the software on my Mac and PC) was, as there is no one central place to get all the information and links to software you need.

Now I need to compare the quality with the PSVR. I think the PSVR quality would be a little better, but I have not researched the specs yet.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #553
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unblinking Stare View Post

I just recently ripped my first 3D Blu-ray and converted it to watch on the Oculus Go via Skybox. The conversion process isn't complicated, but the initial setup (installing the software on my Mac and PC) was, as there is no one central place to get all the information and links to software you need.

Now I need to compare the quality with the PSVR. I think the PSVR quality would be a little better, but I have not researched the specs yet.
Speaking of replies, I replied to your looking glass post!

I jest, just tongue in cheek.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #554
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:

I just recently ripped my first 3D Blu-ray and converted it to watch on the Oculus Go via Skybox. The conversion process isn't complicated, but the initial setup (installing the software on my Mac and PC) was
Can you rip a Blu-ray 3D on a Mac?

I've tried and failed on my Sony VAIO 3D laptop with Widows 7, getting software hints from an AVS thread:
How To: Rip 3D Blu-ray full resolution for LG 4K 3D for native Plex playback

From two discs I own, I want to rip the Chinese 3D version of the movie "Tales of the Night", remuxing it with the English track that is on the Blu-ray 2D U.S. release I also own.

Right now I can only enjoy the 3D with English when I play two Blu-ray players at the same time.
Thanks given by:
Unblinking Stare (02-02-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 08:17 PM   #555

Mar 2010

To be honest i was really disappointed with 3D blu ray playback on the PSVR headset. To those who haven't experienced it has a weird mesh effect that i personally, find really distracting when watching a 3D film. As others have said the resolution is a lot lower and doesn't compare to watching a film on a normal 3D tv.
Another obstacle is just setting the system up i find it has to be be done in a set order for everything to work as intended. It's clear that others in the thread have problems depending on what they want to do. 3D blu ray playback is clearly a bonus and not the main selling point of the PSVR headset.
That said you can watch the film on three screen sizes which does give the effect of being in a cinema which is great.
I do hope that the next iteration eliminates the mesh effect and has better resolution and it then would be a viable alternative to a 3D tv as long as the cost is reasonably similar to the current headset.
I'd definitely try before you buy if buying solely for playing 3D blu rays but vr games fair much better.
Thanks given by:
Old 02-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #556

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonbeast View Post
To be honest i was really disappointed with 3D blu ray playback on the PSVR headset. To those who haven't experienced it has a weird mesh effect that i personally, find really distracting when watching a 3D film. As others have said the resolution is a lot lower and doesn't compare to watching a film on a normal 3D tv.
Another obstacle is just setting the system up i find it has to be be done in a set order for everything to work as intended. It's clear that others in the thread have problems depending on what they want to do. 3D blu ray playback is clearly a bonus and not the main selling point of the PSVR headset.
That said you can watch the film on three screen sizes which does give the effect of being in a cinema which is great.
I do hope that the next iteration eliminates the mesh effect and has better resolution and it then would be a viable alternative to a 3D tv as long as the cost is reasonably similar to the current headset.
I'd definitely try before you buy if buying solely for playing 3D blu rays but vr games fair much better.
The mesh effect is called 'the screen door 'effect. That is annoying on some of the 3D Blu-rays or even watching 2D blu-rays with the PSVR. I only wish 3D video files SBS, TB, could be viewed on it.
Thanks given by:
Old 02-02-2020, 07:24 PM   #557

Nov 2012
Bay Area

Quote:
Speaking of replies, I replied to your looking glass post!
Thank you for the replyómuch appreciated. Don't worry, a review is coming!
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-03-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #558

Nov 2012
Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Can you rip a Blu-ray 3D on a Mac?

I've tried and failed on my Sony VAIO 3D laptop with Widows 7, getting software hints from an AVS thread:
How To: Rip 3D Blu-ray full resolution for LG 4K 3D for native Plex playback

From two discs I own, I want to rip the Chinese 3D version of the movie "Tales of the Night", remuxing it with the English track that is on the Blu-ray 2D U.S. release I also own.

Right now I can only enjoy the 3D with English when I play two Blu-ray players at the same time.
I used MakeMKV to rip the 3D Blu-rays. There's a version for Mac and a version for Windows. Since I spend 99% of my time on a Mac, that's always the preferable way for me to go.

BUT the next step after ripping (in order to create a 3D movie file that can be used on the Oculus) required a Windows application called BD3D2MK3D.

(I've tried and purchased a few Mac applications that advertise their ability to do this, like EaseFab and Tipard but they're alll scams.)

So I transferred the resulting ripped 3D Blu-ray .mkv file to the PC and ran it through BD3D2MK3D following the instructions from this YouTube video:

Then brought the resulting file back to my Mac, ran Skybox, and watched it on the Oculus Go. That video was pretty helpful. Of course, if you do everything on a Windows machine it's much more straightforward. I saw the process as a technical challenge; the quality on Oculus Go is not very good. But it works. Just another option for viewing. The theater setting is kind of cool.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (02-02-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #559
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Thank you for the replyómuch appreciated. Don't worry, a review is coming!
Look forward to it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology