Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Hellboy (Blu-ray)
$5.00
3 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Scorsese Shorts (Blu-ray)
$29.49
21 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Danger: Diabolik (Blu-ray)
$24.96

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #221
Power Member

Aug 2014

Can anyone confirm if this intact on the new Blu-ray?
Quote:
On season 5, episode 3 ("Holy Mackerel"), during the church scene, there's a part where Carrie and Doug discuss an "escape plan" to get out of church early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebery2 View Post
So my Set arrived this morning and it does indeed work on my Region B player so Im glad about that. I put a few disks in to check the quality and pretty much after season 1 it is good. Season 1 however is pretty poor...I have the German set and it is miles better that season 1 of this set. I also noticed from the 8 or 9 disks I tried that some Cold Opens are missing...again they are available on the German Release. I only got this set because of some Ghosting episodes in the German set and this fills in those couple of problem episodes. Just letting you all know.
Thankyou for this post! And sorry for all the questions!

Your comments about Season 1 intrigue me - could you comment on what it is that is different quality wise? Has the grain been wiped away, does it look like a compression issue? Season 1 on this set is spread over 3 discs, so I was really hopeful that it could even be better than the German set, and it is quite puzzling that compression could be an issue with that many discs. Any chance you could post a screenshot of the quality of Season 1?

Any chance you could confirm what episodes were effected by ghosting on the German set? Also if you could make a list of the missing cold opens that you've noticed, that would be very helpful

Last edited by DawnShadow; 01-06-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #222
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Pretty good review of the set and comparison against the old DVD set.
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (01-21-2020), Cards_Fan_15 (01-15-2020), Willie3371 (01-31-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 08:20 PM   #223

Jun 2012
Upstate, NY

nice review of the set, thanks for posting
Old 01-15-2020, 10:00 PM   #224
Power Member

Aug 2014

Quite ridiculous that so many are upscaled. Definitely re-buying the Season 1 German Blu-ray.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:37 PM   #225

Nov 2013

My wife is the King of Queens fan in our house, I wouldn't notice cut scenes but she probably would having watched through the series multiple times. I was hoping this release could replace our DVDs but maybe we won't get this after all. PQ sounds about like what I was expecting, but missing content over the DVDs is really frustrating.

Regarding the aspect ratio of the early seasons, they actually filmed those with 1.78:1 in mind then?
Old 01-24-2020, 11:21 PM   #226
Special Member

Aug 2010
BodÝ, Norway

I don't know. The first few DVDs was in 4:3 format
Old 02-06-2020, 02:42 AM   #227

Feb 2017
USA

Just dropped to $80 on Amazon...
Old 02-06-2020, 02:19 PM   #228
Special Member

Aug 2010
BodÝ, Norway

Looks good in widescreen
Old 02-06-2020, 11:32 PM   #229

Jun 2013

I watched the pilot and it’s definitely edited. I rewatch this show on DVD frequently so I know it like the back of my hand and there’s entire scenes missing. I’m going to assume that the rest of the episodes have scenes missing as well. I’m disappointed.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:52 AM   #230
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009
Germany

For example?
Old 02-07-2020, 02:42 PM   #231
Expert Member

Nov 2014
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastielMerteuil View Post
I watched the pilot and itís definitely edited. I rewatch this show on DVD frequently so I know it like the back of my hand and thereís entire scenes missing. Iím going to assume that the rest of the episodes have scenes missing as well. Iím disappointed.
I have the DVD set too, and I'm mostly satisfied w/ it. Is it best just to keep it and pass on upgrading to the Blu-ray?
Old 02-07-2020, 04:32 PM   #232
Special Member

Aug 2010
BodÝ, Norway

The season 1 episodes last 21-22 minutes. How long are the uncut episodes?
Old 02-08-2020, 02:02 AM   #233

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards_Fan_15 View Post
I have the DVD set too, and I'm mostly satisfied w/ it. Is it best just to keep it and pass on upgrading to the Blu-ray?
Well I watched most of the season so far and the only episode that has scenes missing is the pilot. The scene of Doug in the basement with his friends is supposed to be longer but in the Blu-ray it ends after Spence says his mother doesnít drive. Thereís also a scene missing of Carrie and Sarah in the kitchen of Arthurís house. Which is a pretty important scene of the episode because thatís when Carrie decides that Arthur and Sarah should live with her and Doug. Itís ironic that scene is missing considering itís one of the screenshots in the back of the first Blu-ray case. I also noticed the pilot on the Blu-ray also has the new theme song that premiered in season 2 and some of the commercial breaks are a little off. So maybe a syndicated version of the pilot was added to the Blu-ray.

No other episodes in season 1 have any missing scenes as far as I know. I think the upgrade to Blu-ray is worth it. Some of the episodes of the first seasons look like upscales but others look amazing. Iím satisfied with my purchase. Still kinda disappointed about the pilot though.
Thanks given by:
Cards_Fan_15 (02-09-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 02:29 AM   #234
Power Member

Aug 2014

The German Season 1 Blu-Ray is relatively cheap if you’re all-region, could swap the discs out, every episode is uncut, the correct speed and none are upscaled.

Would be the perfect solution if Seasons 2-9 didn’t apparently have some issues too.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:13 PM   #235
Expert Member

Nov 2014
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastielMerteuil View Post
Well I watched most of the season so far and the only episode that has scenes missing is the pilot. The scene of Doug in the basement with his friends is supposed to be longer but in the Blu-ray it ends after Spence says his mother doesnít drive. Thereís also a scene missing of Carrie and Sarah in the kitchen of Arthurís house. Which is a pretty important scene of the episode because thatís when Carrie decides that Arthur and Sarah should live with her and Doug. Itís ironic that scene is missing considering itís one of the screenshots in the back of the first Blu-ray case. I also noticed the pilot on the Blu-ray also has the new theme song that premiered in season 2 and some of the commercial breaks are a little off. So maybe a syndicated version of the pilot was added to the Blu-ray.

No other episodes in season 1 have any missing scenes as far as I know. I think the upgrade to Blu-ray is worth it. Some of the episodes of the first seasons look like upscales but others look amazing. Iím satisfied with my purchase. Still kinda disappointed about the pilot though.
Thanks for the good insight. I think Iíll wait to find a good deal on the Blu-ray. Funny enough I recently watched the whole series on my DVD set right before this Blu-ray was announced so there isnít the urgency to run out and get it soon.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:34 AM   #236

Feb 2013

I noticed the issues with the pilot as well. I'm currently trying to match run-times between the DVD sets and Blu-ray set. I think the only issue was the pilot in S1.

Season Two seems to be in tact.
Season Three - Let's face it, Season 3 is all edited versions. They all run about 60-90 seconds short of the DVD runtimes.
Episode 1 - the opening scene where Doug is trying to open a shrink-wrapped Bon Jovi CD is gone.
Episode 2 - the opening scene looking for the keys in the rain is missing.
Episode 3 - the opening scene is missing with Doug taking a vitamin is missing.
Episode 7 - is missing the end of the scene after Doug enters Deacon's room. "Just set it and forget it!" Then just before Kelly tells Deacon
he's all set, there's a brief cut where Doug and Arthur tell each other to shut up and Carrie finishes it.
Episode 17 has already been mentioned previously. Also, the final two episodes of the season were not split on the original DVD set, it was one 44 minute long episode.

Season Four - the runtimes seem to be on par with Season Two, so that's a start. I plan to do more digging when I can.

I will continue to update this post with findings. I was hoping there would only be the issue with the pilot but unfortunately not.

Last edited by corrsfan99; 02-13-2020 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Adding additional information
Thanks given by:
goodstuff (02-16-2020), HR Pufnstuf (02-13-2020), keke (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 03:47 AM   #237

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrsfan99 View Post
I noticed the issues with the pilot as well. I'm currently trying to match run-times between the DVD sets and Blu-ray set. I think the only issue was the pilot in S1.

Season Two seems to be in tact.
Season Three - Let's face it, Season 3 is all edited versions. They all run about 60-90 seconds short of the DVD runtimes.
Episode 1 - the opening scene where Doug is trying to open a shrink-wrapped Bon Jovi CD is gone.
Episode 2 - the opening scene looking for the keys in the rain is missing.
Episode 3 - the opening scene is missing with Doug taking a vitamin is missing.
Episode 7 - is missing the end of the scene after Doug enters Deacon's room. "Just set it and forget it!" Then just before Kelly tells Deacon
he's all set, there's a brief cut where Doug and Arthur tell each other to shut up and Carrie finishes it.
Episode 17 has already been mentioned previously. Also, the final two episodes of the season were not split on the original DVD set, it was one 44 minute long episode.

Season Four - the runtimes seem to be on par with Season Two, so that's a start. I plan to do more digging when I can.

I will continue to update this post with findings. I was hoping there would only be the issue with the pilot but unfortunately not.
I just started season 3 and these episodes are butchered. I was hoping that it would be in tact like season 2 was but unfortunately not. ☹️
Thanks given by:
goodstuff (02-16-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 03:49 AM   #238
Power Member

Aug 2014

I'm at least somewhat glad that the issues are limited to those two seasons (so far).

Solution is grab the German sets of Seasons 1 and 3 and swap out the discs. I wish there weren't any problems to solve, but at least this solution exists.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America