Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$41.99
8 hrs ago
Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$72.99
5 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Dallas Connection (Blu-ray)
$11.99
8 hrs ago
Husbands (Blu-ray)
$29.49
5 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Enemy Gold (Blu-ray)
$11.99
8 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$36.64
13 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

First Reformed (Blu-ray)
$9.99
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 01-22-2020, 10:00 PM   #381
Power Member

Jan 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
The extra wood shelves are only $6-8 ea so not too expensive. Changing to a lot of glass shelves definitely adds a bit.

Can't help on the color. There used to be quite a few pictures Billy's with discs through the thread, but I think many of them have been dropped since Photobucket went paid only.

If can upload one more -- not the best with some of the reflections, but to get an idea
Attachment 234650
Those are Billys? The discs are too far out to be all the way back. Do you have something pushing them forward behind the discs?
Old 01-22-2020, 10:22 PM   #382

Aug 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcx4610 View Post
Has anyone tried cube storage or the Ikea Kallax for their movies? One thing that is appealing to me is that they are stackable/expandable so I can go floor to ceiling if needed.

I also like that the depth and height aren't as wasteful as something like the Billy or other bookshelves.

The downside is the backing. They are open. Does anyone know if you can buy backing board anywhere? Preferably black?

I'm still trying to decide the direction I want to go but I saw a recent video game collection video and they had everything in cube storage and it looked really nice.

I have cube storage from Target from floor to ceiling flanking both sides of my TV in my theater room. Not ideal but it's cheap and works reasonably well for me. They are the 11 inch cubes, and I stack two rows of discs in every cube. I crafted little shelves out of black foamboard that elevate the back row of discs above the front ones. Doubles up my space. I have a YouTube video about it. Not sexy but it works.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:33 AM   #383

Jun 2012

Now I'm leaning towards Billys after taking some measurements. I'm guessing two would do the trick as long as I get the extra shelves.

This is what I have currently. The bottom shelf is useless because it's too small to fit any movies so I just use it for random items.

https://www.amazon.com/Prepac-Triple-Width-Storage-Cabinet/dp/B001KW0BGU

Does everyone think that getting 2 of these side by side with 10 extra shelves would be a worthy upgrade and give me a decent upgrade in storage?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-b...rown-40263848/

The issue is the cost. Probably around $350 for everything shipped. The alternative is 6 of these stacked to the ceiling for under $200:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...Black/47724781
Old 01-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #384
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

Quote:
For anyone with a Billy, how many movies can you roughly fit with a full shelf?
Here's a picture of the one holding my 4Ks. For reference, it's ~370 individual cases and I still have a shelf and a quarter left. It's roughly ~50 cases per shelf. If you don't have slipcovers, I'm sure it could fit a few more. Also, it only comes with five shelves so I had to buy two more.

Last edited by RustinCohle; 01-23-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Thanks given by:
idlebrain (01-23-2020), SleazyForWeasley (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 05:17 PM   #385

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
Here's a picture of the one holding my 4Ks. For reference, it's ~370 individual cases and I still have a shelf and a quarter left. It's roughly ~50 cases per shelf. If you don't have slipcovers, I'm sure it could fit a few more. Also, it only comes with five shelves so I had to buy two more.

Thanks a lot. Is this the 79" height one? It looks like you have some room left. I wonder if you could fit another 2 shelves?

It looks like I'm probably going to go Billy. With extra shelves, you can probably get 600+ per bookcase and I plan on getting two.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #386
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Is this the 79" height one? It looks like you have some room left. I wonder if you could fit another 2 shelves?

It looks like I'm probably going to go Billy. With extra shelves, you can probably get 600+ per bookcase and I plan on getting two.
That does look like the 79in item with the 2 extra wood shelves to make a total of 8 levels. I think you even do it with the predrilled shelf support holes. I know to do the glass shelf with 10 levels I had to add some extra drill holes to get the exact hts I needed.

Note the middle/4th shelf is fixed so you do have to work around that. The wood shelves are 3/4 inch thick (glass is approx 1/4in) and the internal empty space dimensions of that Billy are approx 75x30 (37x30 above and below the fixed shelf) if you want to make more detailed calculations. It depends on how how high you want each level to be -- with 8 total levels (2 extra shelves) you could have 8 roughly 8.5in openings if you want to have each shelf level exactly the same if you want to accommodate DVDs and some of the taller BD boxsets.

It would be impossible to make 10 levels with the wood shelves since that would make each level about 6.6 in tall and even a basic bluray case is 6.75in. With my 8 ft ceilings, I would love to add the extension unit to the top and try to get 2 more high shelves, but the official extension unit isn't quite tall enough with only 13 inch vertical internal space

How close are you to an IKEA. I know their shipping is pretty expensive and if you're doing 2 Billy's and 4 extra shelves that's got to be pretty extreme. You mentioned 10 shelves earlier -- was that a typo or did I misunderstand what you were planning?

Last edited by hariseldon; 01-23-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #387
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

Quote:

Yep, that's the one. You can't fit anymore shelves though, at least for fitting blu-rays (keeping in mind I have already added two in that picture). The center shelf is stationary, so you have to adjust around that. The spacing is also uneven. So like the space between the top of the case and the shelf for the first three spaces is about 2.5". However, between the top of the case and shelf for the fourth and fifth is only about 1".
Old 01-23-2020, 07:25 PM   #388

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
That does look like the 79in item with the 2 extra wood shelves to make a total of 8 levels. I think you even do it with the predrilled shelf support holes. I know to do the glass shelf with 10 levels I had to add some extra drill holes to get the exact hts I needed.

Note the middle/4th shelf is fixed so you do have to work around that. The wood shelves are 3/4 inch thick (glass is approx 1/4in) and the internal empty space dimensions of that Billy are approx 75x30 (37x30 above and below the fixed shelf) if you want to make more detailed calculations. It depends on how how high you want each level to be -- with 8 total levels (2 extra shelves) you could have 8 roughly 8.5in openings if you want to have each shelf level exactly the same if you want to accommodate DVDs and some of the taller BD boxsets.

It would be impossible to make 10 levels with the wood shelves since that would make each level about 6.6 in tall and even a basic bluray case is 6.75in. With my 8 ft ceilings, I would love to add the extension unit to the top and try to get 2 more high shelves, but the official extension unit isn't quite tall enough with only 13 inch vertical internal space

How close are you to an IKEA. I know their shipping is pretty expensive and if you're doing 2 Billy's and 4 extra shelves that's got to be pretty extreme. You mentioned 10 shelves earlier -- was that a typo or did I misunderstand what you were planning?
Yeah. I miscalculated the shelves. I didn't realize they came with 5. I'm one state away from an Ikea. Their shipping isn't too bad. I've purchased quite a bit from them. I'd be looking at $250-300.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:27 PM   #389

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
Yep, that's the one. You can't fit anymore shelves though, at least for fitting blu-rays (keeping in mind I have already added two in that picture). The center shelf is stationary, so you have to adjust around that. The spacing is also uneven. So like the space between the top of the case and the shelf for the first three spaces is about 2.5". However, between the top of the case and shelf for the fourth and fifth is only about 1".
Now I'm questioning everything again. I can't believe how difficult this is. I really want to future proof my collection this time around. The inconsistent spacing would bother me and makes me lean towards cube storage again.

It's less space but the shelves are consistent and I could stack them up. Also, much cheaper. Decisions....

Whatever I decided, I'll post a pic when I'm done.
Thanks given by:
SleazyForWeasley (01-23-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 06:55 AM   #390
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2008
San Jose, Ca USAwesome!

Quote:
Now I'm questioning everything again. I can't believe how difficult this is. I really want to future proof my collection this time around. The inconsistent spacing would bother me and makes me lean towards cube storage again.

It's less space but the shelves are consistent and I could stack them up. Also, much cheaper. Decisions....

Whatever I decided, I'll post a pic when I'm done.
I've probably been in this thread before but just clicked on the last page so not sure what all is being discussed. I like consistent spacing too but you could always use the shelf with more space to house your movies/shows with taller packaging. I'm guessing the set that Rustin has is an IKEA Billy. Saw your other post, and see that it is. I love IKEA and I had a couple of their Hemnes sets which are more expensive but I really liked them. I believe they can be fitted with doors as well.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #391
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Dagobah

I am really happy with my current shelves:
It's double sided to maximize capacity.
_MG_4845 copysm.jpg

_MG_4914sm.jpg
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (02-11-2020), cemetaryrider89 (02-17-2020), JEDGAR1000 (02-18-2020), MazeRunner (02-10-2020), SlayersCouncil (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 02:11 PM   #392
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2011
On my sofa

Ah, I see....you have a little cubby on the reverse side...
Thanks given by:
Bluyoda (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:17 AM   #393
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Lemmy View Post
Ah, I see....you have a little cubby on the reverse side...
Yes, it's a lovely nook, perfectly suited for shelving.
Thanks given by:
Blu Lemmy (02-12-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #394
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluyoda View Post
I am really happy with my current shelves:
It's double sided to maximize capacity.
That is a nice set up and the nook comes in handy. The only thing is that those shelves don't appear to be adjustable, leaving large gaps of wasted space that would allow for more movies to be stored if they were adjustable.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #395
Power Member

Jan 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
That is a nice set up and the nook comes in handy. The only thing is that those shelves don't appear to be adjustable, leaving large gaps of wasted space that would allow for more movies to be stored if they were adjustable.
Yeah, I thought it was weird he is prioritizing maxing capacity when he clearly is not for the reason you stated.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction