Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Scorsese Shorts (Blu-ray)
$29.49
32 min ago
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Danger: Diabolik (Blu-ray)
$24.96
14 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
10 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 01-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #741
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Do you still have the Italian discs or know the UPC. If so, maybe retry in the Sony to see if it still acts like a C locked disc. I guess oddball things might have happened in 2008-2009.

I actually know of at least one Region B locked disc released in India (Ratatouille/Rat 3D). It was originally listed as Region Free, but turned out to be a B only disc since apparently the Indian company just used the UK files without correcting the lock
I believe I still do , but would have to dig them out. I'll post what I find when I try them out on the Sony player.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:43 PM   #742

Oct 2016
Pittsville Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozay View Post
Few days late here, but I've had this exact player from Bombay since November 2018. It's been great. And zero issues after firmware updates.
Thank you! So far I love it. Very simple to use.
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (01-24-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 09:35 PM   #743

Nov 2011
United States

Seems like there's something wrong with my Seiki SR4KP1. I keep getting the "Unknown Disc" error. I've tried all of the obvious things...turning it off and on, opening and closing the tray repeatedly, and sticking a q-tip inside to try cleaning the lens / removing any junk. All it does is make a sound like it's trying to read a disc, but will then just give me the error with no playback.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:06 PM   #744
Special Member

Aug 2009

ThisIsJonny this is what happens when you buy cheap ass crap
Old 02-07-2020, 03:22 PM   #745

Oct 2012
Kansas City

Help me out, friends. If I buy a region free blu-ray/dvd player from Bombay or 220, do I have to mod it to play other region stuff?
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 03:26 PM   #746
Special Member

Aug 2009

coalesce99 No because that is why you are paying extra. I believe that to change region it is simply pressing one of three buttons on the in the box remote. As on 220 which player are you looking at?
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 07:54 PM   #747
Banned

Oct 2019
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratford View Post
coalesce99 No because that is why you are paying extra. I believe that to change region it is simply pressing one of three buttons on the in the box remote. As on 220 which player are you looking at?
I've bought two Sony Blu-ray players from 220 Electronics. One has a wireless modem, one doesn't. They both play all three regions. Here's what you do:

- press the Eject button
- while the tray is open, point the remote at the player and press the Yellow button for Region A, the Blue button for Region B, or the Red button for Region C.
- put the disc in the tray and press Play.

That's it. For DVDs,you just put the disc in the tray and press Play (no other steps are required).

I've had both players for about a year and a half. No issues whatsoever. Both came with a one year warranty but didn't need it.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #748
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Just confirming. It sounds like the Sony BDP-S1700 is a pretty reliable machine. So, if I buy the Sony BDP-S1700 from Amazon (or is it better to buy from Bombay or 220?), it comes ready to play Region A, B, and C Blu-rays without any adjustments necessary. The only thing that is needed is to select the region you want to play before inserting the disc?

Also, is it recommended to just go with the 1700 Smart/Region Free model for $149 or get the 3700 Wi-Fi, Smart/Region Free for $159?

Last edited by dommie; 02-07-2020 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:42 PM   #749
Banned

Oct 2019
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by dommie View Post
Just confirming. It sounds like the Sony BDP-S1700 is a pretty reliable machine. So, if I buy the Sony BDP-S1700 from Amazon (or is it better to buy from Bombay or 220?), it comes ready to play Region A, B, and C Blu-rays without any adjustments necessary. The only thing that is needed is to select the region you want to play before inserting the disc?

Also, is it recommended to just go with the 1700 Smart/Region Free model for $149 or get the 3700 Wi-Fi, Smart/Region Free for $159?
This model is in my office. The router is in this room so it didn't need to be wireless. I love this player.

If you buy from Amazon, make sure it is region-free. You can buy this model without the region-free modification, so double-check.

I bought mine from 220 Electronics via ebay. $99. Reliable and easy to switch regions with the remote. 1 year warranty included and it arrived in 2 days. It was listed as "refurbished" but it was in perfect shape.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:29 AM   #750
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H. View Post
This model is in my office. The router is in this room so it didn't need to be wireless. I love this player.

If you buy from Amazon, make sure it is region-free. You can buy this model without the region-free modification, so double-check.

I bought mine from 220 Electronics via ebay. $99. Reliable and easy to switch regions with the remote. 1 year warranty included and it arrived in 2 days. It was listed as "refurbished" but it was in perfect shape.
Thanks. Amazon does list it as region free but, just in case, I looked on the 220 website and they have the player listed there so I might just buy directly from them.
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 02:29 AM   #751
Banned

Oct 2019
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote:
Thanks. Amazon does list it as region free but, just in case, I looked on the 220 website and they have the player listed there so I might just buy directly from them.
First thing my wife and I said after we hooked ours up: "Why did we wait so long?". You'll probably say the same thing. (She's German and a relative sent her a Region B Blu-ray. That's what started it.)

While we don't have a large amount of Region B discs, we are very happy for the ones we own. A couple were never released in Region A, some are OOP in Region A, some are just cheaper in Region B. It's nice to have these options.
Thanks given by:
StarDestroyer52 (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 04:42 AM   #752
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
First thing my wife and I said after we hooked ours up: "Why did we wait so long?". You'll probably say the same thing. (She's German and a relative sent her a Region B Blu-ray. That's what started it.)

While we don't have a large amount of Region B discs, we are very happy for the ones we own. A couple were never released in Region A, some are OOP in Region A, some are just cheaper in Region B. It's nice to have these options.
Thanks for the input. While my wife and I were both born here, our parents immigrated from Europe and much of our families reside mainly in France and Switzerland, so once I let them know that I have a region free player, I am sure they will be suggesting titles for things that are not in print here in the U.S.A. I don't expect to buy a ton of Region B titles either but it has been frustrating waiting for studios to release some of their catalog titles here after years of them being available overseas.
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 10:43 PM   #753
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Los Angeles, CA

I just realized something. If I buy the Sony BDP-S1700, I will have a remote conflict issue with my Sony 4K player since I believe they use the same remote signal and that will be a pain. Does anyone have any experience with the LG BP-175 region free player. It gets a pretty good rating on Amazon and shows as "Amazon's Choice (whatever that means)? 220 Electronics has it as well.
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 11:45 PM   #754
Banned

Oct 2019
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote:
I just realized something. If I buy the Sony BDP-S1700, I will have a remote conflict issue with my Sony 4K player since I believe they use the same remote signal and that will be a pain. Does anyone have any experience with the LG BP-175 region free player. It gets a pretty good rating on Amazon and shows as "Amazon's Choice (whatever that means)? 220 Electronics has it as well.
The only thing I can tell you about the LG players is they are made from VERY lightweight plastic (you might want to Velcro it to your shelf. Light as a feather) and some of them don't output 1080p/24 fps. I'm not sure about the BP-175; I would research it before buying.

I used an LG player briefly a few years ago. It worked okay but I disliked the cheap plastic and the 1080i output.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:36 AM   #755
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
The only thing I can tell you about the LG players is they are made from VERY lightweight plastic (you might want to Velcro it to your shelf. Light as a feather) and some of them don't output 1080p/24 fps. I'm not sure about the BP-175; I would research it before buying.

I used an LG player briefly a few years ago. It worked okay but I disliked the cheap plastic and the 1080i output.
The choices are limited as it looks like Sony and LG have control of the under $200 market. I don't trust the other brands as they seem limited so I'd have to go into an expensive option in order to avoid Sony or LG. Looks like I'll have to look for another solution to the remote issue. Maybe Panasonic has one.
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 12:52 AM   #756
Banned

Oct 2019
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote:
The choices are limited as it looks like Sony and LG have control of the under $200 market. I don't trust the other brands as they seem limited so I'd have to go into an expensive option in order to avoid Sony or LG. Looks like I'll have to look for another solution to the remote issue. Maybe Panasonic has one.
If you type in "region-free blu-ray" on ebay, you will find Panasonic and Samsung players for about the same price as Sony and LG. Hope this helps!
Thanks given by:
dommie (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #757
Special Member

Aug 2009

**Dommie** ref the remote conflict that you mention. As much as I'm not a sony man, some brands have an option to use remote 1 or remote 2 via possibly a menu option on the player and a slideing switch in the remote's battery compartment
Thanks given by:
dommie (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #758
Expert Member

Dec 2017
Mausoleum

Quote:
I have two identical Sony players hooked up on my TV and have them plugged in separate grounded outlets with an on/off switch (with easy access) so I just keep one of them turned on...that way I can use a single remote.
Thanks given by:
dommie (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 05:48 PM   #759
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks to all for the input. I do prefer Sony to LG as well so I am going to go ahead with the Sony and checkout the alternate remote option and the on/off switch option. I do have two separate on/off options for each player so that is something that I can do. Going to buy from Amazon and it will be here tomorrow with Prime.

Last edited by dommie; 02-09-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Thanks given by:
barsalou (02-09-2020), Jay H. (02-09-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 03:12 AM   #760

Nov 2018
NY state

Quote:
Thanks to all for the input. I do prefer Sony to LG as well so I am going to go ahead with the Sony and checkout the alternate remote option and the on/off switch option. I do have two separate on/off options for each player so that is something that I can do. Going to buy from Amazon and it will be here tomorrow with Prime.
I've been looking at the same Sony players you've mentioned. I'm curious, did you go with the 1700 Smart/Region Free model for $149 or the 3700 Wi-Fi, Smart/Region Free for $159?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders