Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.47

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.06

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Captain America: The First Avenger 3D (Blu-ray)
$43.45
2 hrs ago
Prototype 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.26

The Smurfs 2 in 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.40
28 min ago
Poppea / Poppea 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
2 hrs ago
The LEGO Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.37
7 hrs ago
IMAX: National Parks Adventure 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.54

Dino King 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players

Old 08-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #81
Expert Member

Dec 2013
Canada

Do these settings work for 2016 LG LCD panels? I have an OPPO 203 and 75UH8500.

Also, it seems a little counter-intuitive to me that LG 3D settings set in manual mode still take effect when switched back to Auto.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #82

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Do these settings work for 2016 LG LCD panels? I have an OPPO 203 and 75UH8500.

Also, it seems a little counter-intuitive to me that LG 3D settings set in manual mode still take effect when switched back to Auto.
The Oppo is the biggest factor here and will make any display look more impressive in 3D mode.

There is some debate on the 3D tweak for the LG based on the reasons you describe. Doesn't hurt to change it though, if you're right auto negates the manual settings anyway. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #83

Apr 2018

Can anyone with an Oppo 103 or 203 in here confirm for me if it will play back BD-R movies? I've heard mixed things online. I have maybe two titles that are Region B locked that I used to play using PowerDVD, but my Oppo makes the thought of watching 3D on anything else traumatic, and I don't want to pay $50 for a fiddly region unlock mod for maybe two movies when I can just strip the region code and burn to BD-R.

Any experience with that in this thread?
Old 08-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #84
Expert Member

Dec 2013
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangestick View Post
The Oppo is the biggest factor here and will make any display look more impressive in 3D mode.

There is some debate on the 3D tweak for the LG based on the reasons you describe. Doesn't hurt to change it though, if you're right auto negates the manual settings anyway. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
The 3D definitely looks better after the adjustments. Even the partial ghosting/cross-talk visible on the top-left corner on my particular TV, while it's still present, doesn't look quite as apparent or distracting to the overall image.

Last edited by tezster; 08-24-2018 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-27-2018, 03:21 AM   #85
Power Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

I checked out Ready Player One last night using the Tweak 2.0. Fantastic, especially during the Oasis sequences. I saw this in IMAX Laser and this OLED setup beats the IMAX experience hands down. Too bad it took WB a whole month to finally ship out my pre-order.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (08-27-2018), wildbill722 (08-28-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 05:02 AM   #86

Apr 2018

A region free mod is $40, the cheapest pack of BD-Rs I can find (to make region free versions of my two Region B 3d blus) is $15... anyone feel like chiming in on if the Oppo will play a BD-R so I don't waste my money?

Cheers.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:51 AM   #87
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangestick View Post
A region free mod is $40, the cheapest pack of BD-Rs I can find (to make region free versions of my two Region B 3d blus) is $15... anyone feel like chiming in on if the Oppo will play a BD-R so I don't waste my money?

Cheers.
I'd just about bet money that it will play a properly burned BD-R since it plays just about every other disc.

I'd ask JohnAV over in the OPPO threads of the BD/UHD Hardware section.
The manual I have for my 93 says it will play them.

Manual for the 93 -- I'll assume the 100 and 200 units would be similar or more compatible
Compatible Disc Formats
BD-Video, Bluray 3D, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, AVCHDm SACD, CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, CD-R/RW, DVD+/-R/RW, DVD+/-R DL BD-R/RE

Front of manual says
BD-ROM and BD-RE/BD-R discs in BDMV and BDAV mode including 8 inch (SL) and DL discs
Thanks given by:
thestrangestick (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 08:28 PM   #88

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
I'd just about bet money that it will play a properly burned BD-R since it plays just about every other disc.

I'd ask JohnAV over in the OPPO threads of the BD/UHD Hardware section.
The manual I have for my 93 says it will play them.

Manual for the 93 -- I'll assume the 100 and 200 units would be similar or more compatible
Compatible Disc Formats
BD-Video, Bluray 3D, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, AVCHDm SACD, CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, CD-R/RW, DVD+/-R/RW, DVD+/-R DL BD-R/RE

Front of manual says
BD-ROM and BD-RE/BD-R discs in BDMV and BDAV mode including 8 inch (SL) and DL discs
Thanks for the info. Think I'll take a gamble on a small pack of BD-Rs. I could always find another use for them anyway.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #89
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Reposting the Oppo 203 and LG 3D OLED Component Combination 3D Tweak for the benefit of those who have lost the latest data and asked for it.

LG OLED E6P Tweak 2.0 (Must be set while display is in native-3D Mode.)
3D SETTINGS
3D MODE = choose (Manual) Value controls appear.
3D Depth = (20)
3D Viewpoint = (-10)
3D Mode = choose (*Auto) before exiting. Value controls vanish.
Exit Settings.

*Why select Auto Mode before exiting?
"Auto Mode” defaults “3D Depth” and “3D Viewpoint”, normalizing z-plane point structure placement.
Visual depth-cue quality will remain maximized as long as the (20) & (-10), set in "Manual Mode" are not changed when "Auto Mode" is selected before exiting the settings menu.

Oppo 203 SETUP MENU:
3D Setting:
3D Output = (Forced)
2D- > 3D Depth = (16).
Thanks given by:
bud_brigman (01-24-2020), rarhead (01-02-2019)
Old 01-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #90
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Until now, I never experienced the surprising major 3D difference when changing the Oppo Setup - 3D TV Size from my LG Display 65 inch screen to the maximum size range of 999.

This produces a greatly satisfying 3D experience for me.
IMAX 3D quality. This really pronounces the 3D in a weak 3D feature, such as I experience with LAIKA's "Box Trolls" 3D.

It will also affect every 3D display or HMD that an Oppo connects via the HDMI output.

I'm leaving this display size setting to 999 from now on.

Oppo Setup - 3D TV Size @ 999.jpg
Thanks given by:
bud_brigman (01-24-2020), evoll (01-22-2020), rarhead (01-22-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 04:41 PM   #91
Special Member

Aug 2015

What does the player do differently based on your tv size? I never really undertsood why it needed that. I've always just set it to my actual tv size, never tried something different.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:23 PM   #92
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
What does the player do differently based on your tv size? I never really undertsood why it needed that. I've always just set it to my actual tv size, never tried something different.
I always set my Oppo's to the actual tv size too, thinking that accuracy would be best.
I have been playing The Polar Express 3D repeatedly lately, studying a reported conversion issue from the TPE3D thread.
My 3D memory being fresh, was amazed at the sudden expansion of the Z-plane when maximizing the 3D TV Size to 999, and also finding that this didn't change 1 pixel of the 2 dimensional area (height or width); only the visible placement structure of the 3D.

Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 3D disc shows the 3D positive and negative-plane point structure values are placed in perfect symmetry via 999.
This was never the case when 3D TV Size was set to 65 inches. Always thought the distant irregularity of a couple points were because of the limitations of the LG 3D display.
Now I find this not to be the case.
The 3D TV Size set to 999 makes use of the complete 3D z-plane landscape.

It now makes sense giving me a reason why I always thought the 3D looked stronger when my 3D Blu-ray discs were played on my Samsung unit. The Samsung 3D player doesn't have a 3D TV Size setting.

Oppo owners short-changed themselves all these years?

Last edited by Paul H; 01-24-2020 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Spelling correction: hight to height
Thanks given by:
bud_brigman (01-24-2020), emailking (01-23-2020), rarhead (01-25-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #93
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2014
Southeast U.S.

I always enjoy your technical posts. Changing this on my Oppo now.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (01-24-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 04:28 PM   #94
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Finding the 3D expansion very apparent viewing the early Disney Pixar Toy Story 3D.
Thanks given by:
evoll (01-28-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #95
Special Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Until now, I never experienced the surprising major 3D difference when changing the Oppo Setup - 3D TV Size from my LG Display 65 inch screen to the maximum size range of 999.

This produces a greatly satisfying 3D experience for me.
IMAX 3D quality. This really pronounces the 3D in a weak 3D feature, such as I experience with LAIKA's "Box Trolls" 3D.

It will also affect every 3D display or HMD that an Oppo connects via the HDMI output.

I'm leaving this display size setting to 999 from now on.

Attachment 234648
Paul, every time you do one of these additions I think you are a psychology major and are playing a placebo trick on us. I started with XXX: The Return of Xander Cage which is a 4.5/5 for a 3D presentation. Not perfect, but very strong! OMG your little 999 addition makes me think I am watching a 3D film from the 80's. To be honest I am not a fan of weak 3D. If you are going to do 3D due it and do not half ass it! I have seen more than a few features where the 3D is so weak you forget you are watching a 3D film. XXX now just pops with insane depth. The depth into the screen is crazy! Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3D has never looked so good. Alita: Battle Angel which I thought was a really disappointing 3d feature being that it was so new and 3D as of late has been so stellar. Alita: Battle Angel now actually looks 3D for the run time of the film. Go to the Motorball Race Fight sequence. Now this scene just pops with insane depth and looks so much better.

What I haven't tried yet are older 3D films like House of Wax, Dial M for Murder, Comin at Ya, Jaws 3D, Kiss Me Kate, etc. where the 3D was extremely strong to begin with. 3D films made since the resurgence after Avatar and the 3DTV push of 2010 show 3D Blu-rays are much milder than films from the past.

Overall you find these little tweaks that breathes new life into these films and the OLED Displays that show them. Part of the reason I still collect 3D Blu-rays. A word to the wise Amazon UK is your friend! I get most of my 3D titles from there as they are far cheaper than the US. Many titles can be had for $5 lbs. and I have purchased most Disney titles for $12 lbs. or less. Marvel as a whole probably has the most exceptional 3D titles.
https://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?sortb...egory=3dbluray

Last edited by PRO-630HD; 01-30-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (01-30-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 02:51 PM   #96
Special Member

Oct 2009

Now off to look at some of those older films and Iron Man 3 and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. 2 films with very weak 3D. I will report back later with the improvements.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #97
Special Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
I always set my Oppo's to the actual tv size too, thinking that accuracy would be best.
I have been playing The Polar Express 3D repeatedly lately, studying a reported conversion issue from the TPE3D thread.
My 3D memory being fresh, was amazed at the sudden expansion of the Z-plane when maximizing the 3D TV Size to 999, and also finding that this didn't change 1 pixel of the 2 dimensional area (height or width); only the visible placement structure of the 3D.

Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 3D disc shows the 3D positive and negative-plane point structure values are placed in perfect symmetry via 999.
This was never the case when 3D TV Size was set to 65 inches. Always thought the distant irregularity of a couple points were because of the limitations of the LG 3D display.
Now I find this not to be the case.
The 3D TV Size set to 999 makes use of the complete 3D z-plane landscape.

It now makes sense giving me a reason why I always thought the 3D looked stronger when my 3D Blu-ray discs were played on my Samsung unit. The Samsung 3D player doesn't have a 3D TV Size setting.

Oppo owners short-changed themselves all these years?
Just out of curiosity were the + and - point structures in line when the TV was set to +20 and -5 when set back to auto? This was 2 tweaks back I believe.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:50 PM   #98
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post
Just out of curiosity were the + and - point structures in line when the TV was set to +20 and -5 when set back to auto? This was 2 tweaks back I believe.
No. The noticeability in the "Depth Steps Negative" patterns, had no change in distance from Stereoptic Depth (-0.7%) and Depth (-0.9%) levels and slight effect in Depth(-1.5%) and Depth (-1.6%) levels.

999 affects noticeable visual change in both of these negative Depth Step quadrants with the TV set to default or when +20 and -5 and set back to auto.

Last edited by Paul H; 01-30-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:58 PM   #99
Special Member

Aug 2015

I don't see how a tweak of -5 can do anything beneficial when all that does is shift the perspective horizontally. Maybe if you're sitting off center?

On my old TV I had a lot of cross talk and thought for a while I had fixed it with a left shit, only to realize later it was confirmation bias. It fixed some cross talk but made other cross talk worse.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #100
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
I don't see how a tweak of -5 can do anything beneficial when all that does is shift the perspective horizontally. Maybe if you're sitting off center?

On my old TV I had a lot of cross talk and thought for a while I had fixed it with a left shit, only to realize later it was confirmation bias. It fixed some cross talk but made other cross talk worse.
I don't have an answer. Parallax changes will affect fusion for visual area solidity and digital algorithmic calculations, which I know nothing about, must have a lot to do with it.
Thanks given by:
emailking (01-30-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players