Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Seven Worlds, One Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
£23.99

The Vengeance Trilogy (Blu-ray)
£23.98

Fellini Four Films Box Set (Blu-ray)
£26.19

Good Omens (Blu-ray)
£17.90

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
£22.07

Gemini Man 4K (Blu-ray)
£23.08

Beauty and the Beast (Blu-ray)
£4.55
43 min ago
The Void (Blu-ray)
£2.99
19 hrs ago
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
£3.99
5 hrs ago
Godzilla: King of the Monsters (Blu-ray)
£10.83

Peaky Blinders: Series 5 (Blu-ray)
£13.79

Good Omens (Blu-ray)
£13.79

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 01-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #21
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
From the IMDb:

"The original UK cinema version had the sight of one of the hijackers unbuttoning the blouse of a female captive removed for an 'A' rating (the same as today's 'PG' rating). All subsequent video and DVD releases have been uncut and rated '15'."
When it was still called Esther, Ruth and Jennifer the film was originally intended to have a harder rating (as per Roge and Andrew V. McLaglen's The Wild Geese they were aiming for a double A) but some entire (apparently brief and inconsequential) scenes were removed in post production because the shifts in tone were apparently too jarring and they felt it played better and was more commercial without them. According to McLaglen nothing important was lost, though it was reported at the time (in Starburst magazine IIRC) that the shower scene was originally a bit more explicit and the poisoning more graphic. The 8 seconds of blouse footage was removed from the UK pre-cut 1987 VHS - which still got a 15 - but is on the 2002 DVD and will presumably be on the Blu.

Last edited by Aclea; 01-24-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:25 PM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
When it was still called Esther, Ruth and Jennifer the film was originally intended to have a harder rating (as per Roge and Andrew V. McLaglen's The Wild Geese they were aiming for a double A) but some entire (apparently brief and inconsequential) scenes were removed in post production because the shifts in tone were apparently too jarring and they felt it played better and was more commercial without them. According to McLaglen nothing important was lost, though it was reported at the time (in Starburst magazine IIRC) that the shower scene was originally a bit more explicit and the poisoning more graphic. The 8 seconds of blouse footage was removed from the UK pre-cut 1987 VHS - which still got a 15 - but is on the 2002 DVD and will presumably be on the Blu.
Interesting info, thanks.

That pre-cut footage is of the sort we'll sadly never get to see.

Seems odd that such a tame scene as the blouse unbuttoning would elevate this to a '15'. As I recall there's no strong language and the violence is no worse than most PG rated Bond movies of the era.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:06 PM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Well, that's James Ferman and his idiosyncracies for you. A lot of films had their certificates raised on video - even with the cut this still got a 15 on VHS in 1987 while Valley of Gwangi went from an A to a 12 and Clash of the Titans went from an A to a 15 because he thought they were more 'disturbing' viewed by children in a home context. Universal resubmitted the uncut version for DVD in 2004 (I got the year wrong in my previous post) and were probably expecting a lower rating - Gwangi was reduced to a U when resubmitted post-Ferman in 2003, though Titans was only slightly lowered to a 12 - but my guess is that time it was the poisoning scene that got it the 15 under the 'imitable behaviour' guidelines.

Last edited by Aclea; 01-24-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:34 AM   #24

Nov 2013
Tampa, FL

If the on screen title for the 88 Films blu ray release is in fact North Sea Hijack, how is it the same transfer as the Kino edition? The Kino opens with the title "ffolkes". Wouldn't these be two different transfers?
Old 01-29-2020, 08:11 PM   #25

May 2018
UK

I'm definitely buying this. I'd never heard of it until a few years ago when I went to a 12 hour film marathon courtesy of the Bristol Bad Film Club. The lineup was;

Bloodsport (hahaha)
River of Death (meh)
Megaforce (argh my eyes)
North Sea Hijack (a king among films)
Action Jackson (Carl Weathers rules, I have spoken)
Hired to Kill (wtf?)
Showdown in Little Tokyo (cool)

The only title I still can't bring myself to buy is Megaforce.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #26
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Megaforce is so bad it's great!

I have the JP blu, it's a decent transfer.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:39 PM   #27
Special Member

Oct 2010
Portsmouth, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambleweeny57 View Post
I'm definitely buying this. I'd never heard of it until a few years ago when I went to a 12 hour film marathon courtesy of the Bristol Bad Film Club. The lineup was;

Bloodsport (hahaha)
River of Death (meh)
Megaforce (argh my eyes)
North Sea Hijack (a king among films)
Action Jackson (Carl Weathers rules, I have spoken)
Hired to Kill (wtf?)
Showdown in Little Tokyo (cool)

The only title I still can't bring myself to buy is Megaforce.
How dare you disrespect the Bostwick! I bet you wish your name was Ace Hunter.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:51 PM   #28
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modman View Post
How dare you disrespect the Bostwick! I bet you wish your name was Ace Hunter.
The very picture of manliness:

Erm......
Thanks given by:
Modman (01-29-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland