Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dino King 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.91

The Smurfs 2 in 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.64
1 hr ago
Prototype 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Wreck-It Ralph 3D (Blu-ray)
$36.49
10 hrs ago
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Rampage 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.03

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.49

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.92

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 07-27-2011, 04:51 AM   #41

Feb 2011
Prescott, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
But that's only because your Integra is 3D capable. My Integra DTC-9.8 is not 3D capable so I have to run one HDMI cable from my Oppo BDP-93 straight to the 3DTV for video and one HDMI cable from my Oppo to the Integra for audio.
Actually my 40.2 isn't 3D capable. The new 40.3 is though. But even though I now have a 3D player and capable TV I want nothing to do with 3D due to the wife and I having equalibrium problems.

Jeff
Old 07-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #42

Jul 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoorSaloon View Post
I read that it is illegal or something like that for manufactures to advertise their cable as 1.4 spec....so how do I know which cable I need for my new 3d setup? will any hdmi cable work? because their seems to be controversy over the subject. Either way i want the 1.4 cable but how do I know if it is if they cant list it?
This is a common misconception. There is NO such thing as a 1.4 HDMI cable, but there are plenty of manufacturers selling "1.4 HDMI cables". Why they don't take the time to educate people is probably because it's easier to sell than explain. The truth is that there are standard (Category 1) HDMI cables and hi-speed (Category 2) HDMI cables. These cables support the various standards. From an engineering perspective (yes, I'm an engineer), these cables are tested for various characteristics (skew, crosstalk, etc.) and meet or exceed various standards. Some category 1 cables will work on the 1.4 standard, but category 2 cables have been tested to work on it.

It is the job of an engineer to make sure that even if you get something which barely passes and use it with another component which barely passes (and so on ad nauseam), that everything will still work. "Pads" are therefore built in. This is why some category 1 cables will perform adequately on any current, applicable standard (or they could have been tested prior to establishing the 1.4 standard and were just one of the "good ones").

I'm not going to give a detailed (and boring) lecture about resistance, capacitance, etc., but gauge and the twist of the wires are key elements when it comes to sending hi speed signals over (generally) copper cabling. Suffice to say that at higher speeds a signal becomes more and more difficult transmit without becoming distorted. Look at a category 5, 5e, or 6 cable sometime. Cut a chunk out and you will see 4 pairs of cabling (generally blue, green, orange, and brown). If you look closely, you will see that each pair has a very precise and differing number of twists. Because of the way electormagnetic fields appear to work, these twists allow hi speed signals to go end to end with an acceptable amount of loss and signal distortion.

So, if you find a 1.4 cable, keep it because it's the only one in existence and, as such, is probably quite valuable.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #43

Jul 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricshoe View Post
There is no such thing as a v1.4 cable. HDMI version applies to the transmitter/receiver chip in the devices only, NOT the cables. You may be referring to a cable with ethernet, but it's either going to be a CAT1 or CAT2, and technically most CAT1 cables will handle 3D just fine in short runs.
Maybe this will help clarify matters just in case someone REALLY still doesn't get it. If, after this, someone asks where they can get a 1.3 or 1.4 HDMI cable, I suggest telling them that the 1.4 cables are no longer in use and that they should really be trying to get the new 1.5 cable as it supports the new higher definition industry wide 3D standard which will be issued later this year. :-)

(From another post I made)

This is a common misconception. There is NO such thing as a 1.4 HDMI cable, but there are plenty of manufacturers selling "1.4 HDMI cables". Why they don't take the time to educate people is probably because it's easier to sell than explain. The truth is that there are standard (Category 1) HDMI cables and hi-speed (Category 2) HDMI cables. These cables support the various standards. From an engineering perspective (yes, I'm an engineer), these cables are tested for various characteristics (skew, crosstalk, etc.) and meet or exceed various specifications. Some category 1 cables will work on the 1.4 standard, but category 2 cables have been tested to work on it.

It is the job of an engineer to make sure that even if you get something which barely passes and use it with another component which barely passes (and so on ad nauseam), that everything will still work. "Pads" are therefore built in. This is why some category 1 cables will perform adequately on any current, applicable standard (or they could have been tested prior to establishing the 1.4 standard and were just one of the "good ones").

I'm not going to give a detailed (and boring) lecture about resistance, capacitance, etc., but gauge and the twist of the wires are key elements when it comes to sending hi speed signals over (generally) copper cabling. Suffice to say that at higher speeds a signal becomes more and more difficult transmit without becoming distorted. Look at a category 5, 5e, or 6 cable sometime. Cut a chunk out and you will see 4 pairs of cabling (generally blue, green, orange, and brown). If you look closely, you will see that each pair has a very precise and differing number of twists. Because of the way electormagnetic fields appear to work, these twists allow hi speed signals to go end to end with an acceptable amount of loss and signal distortion.

So, if you find a 1.4 cable, keep it because it's the only one in existence and, as such, is probably quite valuable.

Last edited by crackinhedz; 07-29-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:50 AM   #44

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post
Look at a category 5, 5e, or 6 cable sometime
Just to clarify, these Category 5/Category 5e/Category 6 Cables have absolutely no relation of sequential order to Category 1 and Category 2 HDMI Cables.

Being an Engineer, I am confident you know this but just thought I'd clear it up in case it brought about confusion.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #45

Jul 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinrai View Post
Just to clarify, these Category 5/Category 5e/Category 6 Cables have absolutely no relation of sequential order to Category 1 and Category 2 HDMI Cables.

Being an Engineer, I am confident you know this but just thought I'd clear it up in case it brought about confusion.
Right.....I was trying to explain what can be done to get higher data speeds to work on (virtually) any cable and mixed apples and oranges (HDMI and Ethernet). I hope I didn't confuse anyone with that......Category 5, 5e, and 6 are the cables generally terminated with those little RJ45 (to be technical......."fat" looking phone) connectors which fit so nicely into your computer and allow you to buy all this fun stuff from Amazon (unless you use wireless).
Old 08-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #46

Aug 2011

I am right in saying there are only two types of HDMI cable, ones with network capability and ones without? the numbers like 1.3 etc are just to designate the features/revisions of the HDMI hardware found in a device.

I presume just because some revisions have the capability of having say, "true color" it doesn't mean they have it.

I am just trying to get this clear in my mind :P
Old 08-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #47
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdoa View Post
I am right in saying there are only two types of HDMI cable, ones with network capability and ones without?
The two types of cable are "Category 1" (standard) and "Category 2" (high speed).

These may or may not contain an ethernet channel.

The HDMI version number has to do with the HDMI Transmit/receiver chip inside the actual device.

Sticky: HDMI Cables
Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #48

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
The two types of cable are "Category 1" (standard) and "Category 2" (high speed).

These may or may not contain an ethernet channel.

The HDMI version number has to do with the HDMI Transmit/receiver chip inside the actual device.

Sticky: HDMI Cables
doh!, ok got it now. Although to be fair I only got confused because of the sellers saying stuff was 1.3a etc :P
Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #49

Aug 2011

Is there any way to look at a HMDI cable to determine if it is Standard or High Speed? I see no indication on the cable, so I guess it was poor planning on HDMI's part they didn't enforce some sort of labeling on cables. I presume the only way is to plug it in and test it.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:13 AM   #50
Banned

Feb 2011
Deep in the Valley

I just bought a 3d blu ray player and the tv is next. I also ordered a 3 ft high speed hdmi from monoprice...should work just fine I assume
Old 08-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #51

Aug 2011

I just ordered a high speed HDMI from John Lewis today. It has an ethernet, suitable for SMART TV's so I've been told.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #52
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdoa View Post
Is there any way to look at a HMDI cable to determine if it is Standard or High Speed? I see no indication on the cable, so I guess it was poor planning on HDMI's part they didn't enforce some sort of labeling on cables. I presume the only way is to plug it in and test it.
The ones I ordered from MonoPrice are labeled as "HIGH SPEED" on the cables themselves. They offer a standard speed option as well, which are significantly cheaper (about a third to half the price as the high speed alternative, same lengths).
Old 09-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #53

Sep 2011
Default PS3 3D works for 15 sec, replugging HDMI gives me another 15. Do I need a new HDMI?

I'm seeing a similar issye. HDMI.org has me convince that my 3 year old cable is fine. Here's what I'm seeing...

I have a PS3 with a Panasonic ST30. I have been able to watch one 3D BluRay with no problems (Tahiti 3D was great!). For Tron 3D, after 15 seconds of great 3D picture the screen says the standard "No signal. Make sure external device is turned on" when nothing is plugged in. I have played around with a lot of the TV and PS3 settings, but the only thing that seems to matter is unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable. I then get another 15 seconds of image, and it seems like the PS3 has been sending the signal the whole time, but it's just not reaching the TV.

Any ideas?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 AM   #54
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Bpburns, buying a new HDMI cable is a very cheap trouble shoot...it would not hurt to try.

Also, have you tried different HDMI ports on the TV itself?

check out monoprice.com for a new cable, even amazon but make sure the seller is reputable.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #55
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
Bpburns, buying a new HDMI cable is a very cheap trouble shoot...it would not hurt to try.

Also, have you tried different HDMI ports on the TV itself?

check out monoprice.com for a new cable, even amazon but make sure the seller is reputable.
I've purchased a bunch of these Blue Rigger cables from Amazon lately, as the Monoprice cables I had were pretty bulky and did not fit well into the sideways slots on my new GT30. So far, they have performed flawlessly (and they also look cool with the blue plugs and braided cable cover). Since I have Prime, they are actually cheaper (shipped) than Monoprice.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #56

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
There is no such thing as HDMI 1.4 cables, only HDMI 1.4 ports.
your wrong !... there is 1.3 standard hdmi and then there is 1.4 hdmi cable for 3d bluray movies

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHMQ8wIwAw
Old 09-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #57

Jul 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpburns View Post
I'm seeing a similar issye. HDMI.org has me convince that my 3 year old cable is fine. Here's what I'm seeing...

I have a PS3 with a Panasonic ST30. I have been able to watch one 3D BluRay with no problems (Tahiti 3D was great!). For Tron 3D, after 15 seconds of great 3D picture the screen says the standard "No signal. Make sure external device is turned on" when nothing is plugged in. I have played around with a lot of the TV and PS3 settings, but the only thing that seems to matter is unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable. I then get another 15 seconds of image, and it seems like the PS3 has been sending the signal the whole time, but it's just not reaching the TV.

Any ideas?
I'm not an expert on the HDMI standards and would like to hear whether or not you resolved this problem. I troubleshoot for a living and find it interesting that one DVD would work and another wouldn't. If I were engineering anything, any DVD would (or wouldn't) work using the same hardware. As has been suggested, it's probably a good, cheap idea to buy a new HDMI cable. If that fixes the problem, it raises a lot of questions. Dots should be dots and dashes should be dashes....the DVD is just the media and shouldn't be the issue.

Does Tron work on a different system?? Troubleshooting is changing variables and using the resulting information to isolate the problem (well, that's sort of simplistic, but basically true), but you have to assume that the parts you replace all conform to a particular engineering standard.

If something doesn't work and something else does, put the thing that doesn't on something else that does.....

What's the saying??? There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

May your dreams be in 3D.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #58

Jul 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Ricshoe sez...

Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband.

InCali sez...

I had no idea you were married to my wife.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #59
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCali View Post
Ricshoe sez...

Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband.

InCali sez...

I had no idea you were married to my wife.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #60
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEXFILES View Post
your wrong !... there is 1.3 standard hdmi and then there is 1.4 hdmi cable for 3d bluray movies
you obviously did not read any of this thread or the HDMI Cable thread...

to catch you up to speed...hdmi cables are either "standard" or "high speed" (and may also contain an ethernet channel, but not necessary in most cases).

The cable itself has nothing to do with version numbers...websites and manufacturers use the version number to entice its customers. The average joe who sees "v1.4" next to the cable thinks it magically does something...when in fact all high speed cables will pass 3d, lossless audio, 12Gbps, audio return channel etc. (ethernet channel is for system connectivity and entirely optional)

please read post #1.

It will help you to further understand why your post is incorrect.

Last edited by crackinhedz; 09-30-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology