Best Wii Game Deals


Best Wii Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
EA Sports Active 2 (Wii)
$39.99
 
Phantom Brave We Meet Again (Wii)
$28.00
 
Astro Boy: The Video Game (Wii)
$17.43
 
Beyblade Metal Fusion: Battle Fortress (Wii)
$29.99
 
Horse Life Adventures (Wii)
$29.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Monkey Monkey is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
31
Default Virtual Console question, multiple Wii's? Also recommendations

Hi, So I'm been given a Wii to borrow for probably quite a long time. I plan on buying some Virtual Console classics. If the friend eventually wants the system back will I be able to buy another Wii and re-download the games?

Also, do I need to buy anything for the Wii or is their space on the console for these games already?

Thinking of classics like:

Super Metroid
Blazing Lazers
Castlevania III IV
Contra III: Alien War
Kid Icarus
Zelda
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
NeoCortex NeoCortex is offline
Active Member
 
Dec 2008
23
Default

There's some space already on the Wii. Depending on how much stuff you buy, you can use an SD card as well.

As far as I know, anything you buy for Virtual Console is tied to the system. It's not a user-account like PS3 or XBox. So the content goes with the Wii. I'm pretty sure you can't transfer it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #3
Solidus911A Solidus911A is offline
Senior Member
 
Solidus911A's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Salt Lake City
5
68
607
26
Default

Unfortunately no you can only have save game data on the SD card. The purchased game is tied to the Wii Itself
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Monkey Monkey is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCortex View Post
There's some space already on the Wii. Depending on how much stuff you buy, you can use an SD card as well.

As far as I know, anything you buy for Virtual Console is tied to the system. It's not a user-account like PS3 or XBox. So the content goes with the Wii. I'm pretty sure you can't transfer it.
Ok, thanks for the info. Very helpful. I wouldn't mind buying it and not getting the games back on a future Wii purchase considering they are being generous letting me borrow.

edit: thank you both.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
Solidus911A Solidus911A is offline
Senior Member
 
Solidus911A's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Salt Lake City
5
68
607
26
Default

You know I am more in favor of the PS3 that is what I prefer. But when my wife and I bought the Wii we fell in love more with the virtual console than the wii games itself. It is definitely well worth it I just wish they would update the store more often and keep adding games. But for games like Super Metroid, Contra III, Mario games it was well worth it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
Monkey Monkey is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
31
Default

Indeed. I've downloaded four games allready.. I've only fired up Mario Galaxy for the disc based games.

I'm tempted to buy the New Super Mario Brothers as it looks really good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
kefrank kefrank is offline
Special Member
 
Jul 2008
60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
I'm tempted to buy the New Super Mario Brothers as it looks really good.
It's awesome. Personally, I enjoyed it even more than Super Mario Galaxy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
Monkey Monkey is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
It's awesome. Personally, I enjoyed it even more than Super Mario Galaxy.
Thanks. I hope my 4.5 year old is able to play as well. He has trouble with platformers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #9
Monkey Monkey is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
It's awesome. Personally, I enjoyed it even more than Super Mario Galaxy.
You were dead on.. I'm loving it, pure genius so far I love the art style too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
kefrank kefrank is offline
Special Member
 
Jul 2008
60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
You were dead on.. I'm loving it, pure genius so far I love the art style too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #11
Monkey Monkey is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post


I can't believe IGN only gave it a 7.5 in the graphics department.. Maybe it isn't a ten but coming from mostly playing PS3 games. I've only played through a few dessert levels but I find them to be impressive, lots of subtle details on clouds, sand, wind, water, etc. The animations are great

7.5 Graphics
Very modest visuals: 3D characters, 2D backgrounds, with the occasional lighting effect.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
kefrank kefrank is offline
Special Member
 
Jul 2008
60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post

I can't believe IGN only gave it a 7.5 in the graphics department.. Maybe it isn't a ten but coming from mostly playing PS3 games. I've only played through a few dessert levels but I find them to be impressive, lots of subtle details on clouds, sand, wind, water, etc. The animations are great

7.5 Graphics
Very modest visuals: 3D characters, 2D backgrounds, with the occasional lighting effect.
Agreed. I would score it a 9 in the graphics department. It looks nearly as good as any 2D title on the Wii could look, if you ask me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
Cradle Of Fish Cradle Of Fish is offline
Member
 
Cradle Of Fish's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Euless, Texas
61
1002
623
1
Default

Wait (I don't have a WII yet so I am not sure) a minute, if you can only download the virtual games to the system won't you run out of room eventually? What if I wanted to keep the games? Would I have to rebuy/re download them, to play them in the future?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #14
OG Pooh OG Pooh is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
1
132
Default

Everything is basically tied to the console with Wii, since there are no actual users. There's just the Miis that you can make & use. But they're really there for anyone to use as (again) there are no actual user accounts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #15
NeoCortex NeoCortex is offline
Active Member
 
Dec 2008
23
Default

Once purchased, games can be redownloaded. They can also be backed up to an SD card.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:17 AM   #16
kefrank kefrank is offline
Special Member
 
Jul 2008
60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle Of Fish View Post
Wait (I don't have a WII yet so I am not sure) a minute, if you can only download the virtual games to the system won't you run out of room eventually? What if I wanted to keep the games? Would I have to rebuy/re download them, to play them in the future?
Most VC games are tiny. If you have an SD card, it's very unlikely that you'd ever run out of space.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:02 AM   #17
Suntory_Times Suntory_Times is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Suntory_Times's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
The Grid
16
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Thanks. I hope my 4.5 year old is able to play as well. He has trouble with platformers.
The ne Super Bros gets quite hard, so he probably wont be able to play everything.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:51 AM.