Best PS Vita Game Deals

Best PS Vita Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Shinobido 2: Revenge Of Zen (PS Vita)
$29.99

Shiren The Wanderer: The Tower Of Fortune And The Dice Of Fate (PS Vita)
$19.01

Akiba's Beat (PS Vita)
$19.99

Muv-Luv Alternative (PS Vita)
$39.99

Punch Line (PS Vita)
$39.65

Death Mark (PS Vita)
$34.84

Bad Apple Wars (PS Vita)
$23.97

Lost Child (PS Vita)
$25.20

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PlayStation Vita and PlayStation Portable

Old 01-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #21

Feb 2010
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
I'm hoping for ~$300 for the wifi. Does that mean SKU without 3G were confirmed?

Right. I guess I was focused too much on PSN and less on the translations. What sort of BC with PSP was confirmed?
Yes there will be two SKU's.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
$299? I don't mean the 8GB, and it will compared to the iPod Touch 5th Gen, not the 4th gen.
Why not the 8GB? 3DS comes with less. Won't the 5th Gen iPod touch's probably cost the same and maybe increase the capacity at each pricepoint?
Old 01-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #23
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

More about the 3g and why there will be no voice capabilities(phone):

Quote:
Eurogamer: How will 3G work? Obviously that's a major and very interesting new feature for a handheld console. But you have to have network partners presumably, and there must be some cost for the user, at the end of the day?

Andrew House: I think the answer to both those questions is yes. You'll hear more from us around that aspect of the strategy as we get closer to launch. We are working very hard on partnerships in that area.

The first thing to clarify, which I'm not sure the presentation did a perfect job of doing today, is that all of the devices will have wi-fi capability; a separate SKU will have 3G.

Eurogamer: OK. Like the iPad.

Andrew House: So the user gets a choice. Wi-fi is available wherever, which clearly is the most important aspect of connectivity and that connected experience; 3G will be a subset of that.

Eurogamer: Will it support online gaming over 3G? Actual simultaneous gameplay?

Andrew House: I'm not sure. [He actually sounds unsure.] I think it would depend very much on the degree of data traffic that's being driven by that online game.

Eurogamer: So it might depend on the game?

Andrew House: It might depend on the game. One area that I'm particularly excited about is the idea of asynchronous gaming, whereby the game experience is existing either on a PS3 or on your NGP, and then the 3G ability is the real-time, you know, "you're under attack, you've got to go do something"; messaging, just keeping that link with you, which clearly is not very heavy in terms of data traffic, but creates a whole different sense to the experience.

Eurogamer: Any plans for phone or web browsing features?

Andrew House: Web browsing features, yes; phone, deliberately no. We've avoided it.

Eurogamer: Why is that?

Andrew House: We think that voice capability carries with it a whole other set of expectations, and we want this to be first and foremost the ultimate gaming experience. We've elected not to complicate that proposition overly by trying to have it be all things to all people including voice and a conventional phone. Clearly [PlayStation Suite] addresses an already vibrant phone marketplace that serves that consumer very well.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #24
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluStation 3 View Post
My predictions:

Wifi only : $350

Wifi + 3G : $450

I mean when the PSP launched it was $250 I believe and so was the PSPGo. With all the tech this thing has I can't see it being under $300. Honestly I think if anybody expects that they are crazy.
i hope they don't expect to be selling many consoles at that price. especially considering it sounds like it might not even release this year for most of the world.

i was fairly confident with the specs in this thing that it'd be competitive with the 3ds. $249 for 3ds..maybe 299-349 for the psp2. but anything above that and i think people will go for nintendo. are the oled screens really that costly? even at $299 i would have figured they'd be making a profit (based on component costs. iphone costs around $190 based on its components, i'd expect around the same for iphone5)

eh i dunno. got a lot of time until it's going to release i suppose
Old 01-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #25

Feb 2010
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop View Post
i hope they don't expect to be selling many consoles at that price. especially considering it sounds like it might not even release this year for most of the world.

i was fairly confident with the specs in this thing that it'd be competitive with the 3ds. $249 for 3ds..maybe 299-349 for the psp2. but anything above that and i think people will go for nintendo. are the oled screens really that costly? even at $299 i would have figured they'd be making a profit (based on component costs. iphone costs around $190 based on its components, i'd expect around the same for iphone5)

eh i dunno. got a lot of time until it's going to release i suppose
Im just saying its Sony. When have they ever sold things cheap? Granted you get good quality, shit is expensive.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #26
Super Moderator

Nov 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin-Ra View Post
Why not the 8GB? 3DS comes with less. Won't the 5th Gen iPod touch's probably cost the same and maybe increase the capacity at each pricepoint?
If it does Apple will be eating into their margins big time. I expect the 4G will not be discontinued in its 8GB form, there is no way the 5th gen will sell below $300 in any capacity. Not at launch anyway unless Apple want to kill their margins.

The 3DS is overpriced for what you get, though the 3D screen isn't cheap the markup Nintendo are imposing is massive.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #27

Feb 2010
Virginia

Quote:
If it does Apple will be eating into their margins big time. I expect the 4G will not be discontinued in its 8GB form, there is no way the 5th gen will sell below $300 in any capacity. Not at launch anyway unless Apple want to kill their margins.

The 3DS is overpriced for what you get, though the 3D screen isn't cheap the markup Nintendo are imposing is massive.

I would say slightly overpriced by about $50. $199 would have been the sweetspot.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2006

honestly, I didn't think they'd achieve this level of visuals on the (code-name) NGP But, it is important to note that although we've seen what the NGP can handle, most developers will not be able to get that sort of performance from the system...

1) Portable games usually have smaller development teams and smaller budgets
2) Just like with the PS3, there are a few gorgeous games, but the majority are uninspired average fare.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluStation 3 View Post
[/B]

I would say slightly overpriced by about $50. $199 would have been the sweetspot.
Ideally yes, but I very much doubt Sony could release this beast for $199 considering all it has going for it. The original PSP released at $249 (maybe even $299) and it's tech was slightly less advanced for its time (in my estimation). Plus, with people paying exorbitant amounts of cash for smartphones these days, maybe Sony could release the (tentatively named) NGP for $300+.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #30
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

If places start selling the 3g model with a data plan on a monthly basis like with the ipad then I think the price may not be such a stumbling block for some.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2008
Irving, TX PSNetwork: Xerios
Send a message via AIM to Xerios Send a message via MSN to Xerios

beautiful hand model...
Old 01-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #32
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

whats the flap looking thing to the left of the headphone plug?
Old 01-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #33
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

SIM card?
Old 01-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #34
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

Quote:
SIM card?
that was my assumption as well.

also, is the playstation logo in the bottom left clickable? does that bring up a menu? or just for looks?
Old 01-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #35
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Yes, the PS button is listed in the official specs.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #36
Expert Member

Jun 2007

I don't think that is a headphone port. I think it it a power cable connector.

Edit-- Just looked again. Maybe it is a headphone connector. Although I don't see a headphone logo mark.

Last edited by ussrelativity; 01-28-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #37
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

Quote:
Yes, the PS button is listed in the official specs.
so it is, thanks
Old 01-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #38
Super Moderator

Nov 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussrelativity View Post
I don't think that is a headphone port. I think it it a power cable connector.

Edit-- Just looked again. Maybe it is a headphone connector.
Power is delivered through the proprietary dock connector like an iDevice.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
626, So Cal

$250-300 would be nice. I won't pay more than $300... and would be on the fence there.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #40
Expert Member

Jun 2007

Quote:
Power is delivered through the proprietary dock connector like an iDevice.
That would make sense. Although I never used iPods or iPhones, so I wouldn't have known.

Still that dock port is neat looking. I wonder what else it can do.

And other ports could possibly come in a later iteration. After all this would be like a NGP-1000, like how the PSP-1000 was when the platform launched.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, maybe that bottom "flap" may hold something else other than a card slot.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PlayStation Vita and PlayStation Portable