Best PS Vita Game Deals

Best PS Vita Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Shinobido 2: Revenge Of Zen (PS Vita)
$29.99

Shiren The Wanderer: The Tower Of Fortune And The Dice Of Fate (PS Vita)
$19.01

Akiba's Beat (PS Vita)
$19.99

Muv-Luv Alternative (PS Vita)
$39.99

Punch Line (PS Vita)
$39.65

Death Mark (PS Vita)
$32.78

Bad Apple Wars (PS Vita)
$24.11

Lost Child (PS Vita)
$25.20

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PlayStation Vita and PlayStation Portable

Old 01-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #41
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop View Post

whats the flap looking thing to the left of the headphone plug?
I wondered the same thing on the other thread. aswell as the two at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin-Ra View Post
SIM card?
Lol do you not read my posts

Quote:
Eurogamer: Any plans for phone or web browsing features?

Andrew House: Web browsing features, yes; phone, deliberately no. We've avoided it.

Eurogamer: Why is that?

Andrew House: We think that voice capability carries with it a whole other set of expectations, and we want this to be first and foremost the ultimate gaming experience. We've elected not to complicate that proposition overly by trying to have it be all things to all people including voice and a conventional phone. Clearly [PlayStation Suite] addresses an already vibrant phone marketplace that serves that consumer very well.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
626, So Cal

It will still use a SIM for 3G data... just not going to have telephony
Old 01-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #43
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

I'm curious if they're showing a realistic demo of how quickly a game's title screen can be loaded up here. Usually you get a load of annoying logos before a game starts but I see no reason why games with entirely 2D menus couldn't launch this fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GLG71IouR8&hd=1&t=7m28s

Then quit back out to the launch screen even quicker with a nice blur transition.

The PSPgo's 'Resume Game' function can load up anywhere in the last game played (straight into 3D) in just 10 seconds but NGP would need to reserve at least as much internal flash storage as there is RAM to match the feature. And the flash would need to be quicker to copy so much more RAM quickly.

I wonder if that pre-game launch screen layout's the same for every game or if developers can have more or less buttons arranged differently.

Last edited by Shin-Ra; 01-28-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
$250-300 would be nice. I won't pay more than $300... and would be on the fence there.
agreed
Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #45
Super Moderator

Nov 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Lol do you not read my posts
3G isn't just for calling. The sim card would be used for data like the iPad. It can't make calls but you can browse and download using the 3G connection.

Anyway, I expect this version has telephony locked out because the form factor is not phone-like enough and Sony don't want unfavourable comparisons to dedicated devices. If a revision is released with a more suitable form factor it may unlock telephony for all of them. That way Sony avoid unfavourable comparisons but they can introduce the feature with a big bang and big PR later for a mid-life kicker.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #46

Jul 2007

I just thought of something, with the amount of RAM this baby is bound to have (at least 512MB), Custom Soundtracks are a given, hopefully it'll be more universal this time unlike on the PS3.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #47
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
3G isn't just for calling. The sim card would be used for data like the iPad. It can't make calls but you can browse and download using the 3G connection.

Anyway, I expect this version has telephony locked out because the form factor is not phone-like enough and Sony don't want unfavourable comparisons to dedicated devices. If a revision is released with a more suitable form factor it may unlock telephony for all of them. That way Sony avoid unfavourable comparisons but they can introduce the feature with a big bang and big PR later for a mid-life kicker.
Completely overlooked that

I think they would be bitting of more than they can chew if they tried implementing it from day one. I'm sure there are a lot of complications that arent imediately obvious to the average person (me! ) that are holding them back, for now.

Once its well established, and the new business plan pans out then I could very well see them bringing SE to work on the phone enabled NGP.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #48
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
626, So Cal

I really would like telephony in this thing. It wouldn't be my "main" phone, but why fumble for a second device if I was already using this, for example?

Hopefully Max is right and it comes as part of a refresh.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #49
Super Moderator

Nov 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by AranhaHunter View Post
I just thought of something, with the amount of RAM this baby is bound to have (at least 512MB), Custom Soundtracks are a given, hopefully it'll be more universal this time unlike on the PS3.
I don't know whether Sony would be willing to licence the IP from MS for background music during gaming. MS would probably be forced to licence it by the monopolies commission, but I don't know whether Sony would want to do it.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #50
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
626, So Cal

Quote:
I don't know whether Sony would be willing to licence the IP from MS for background music during gaming. MS would probably be forced to licence it by the monopolies commission, but I don't know whether Sony would want to do it.
Patent? Maybe by their same mechanism.... Mayhaps that can be circumvented by multi-tasking and having a dedicated music player 'app' that doesn't care what else is running. In game music (if any) is auto-muted and/or turned off during?
Old 01-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #51

Jul 2007

Quote:
I think the patent doesn't mention mobile devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
Patent? Maybe by their same mechanism.... Mayhaps that can be circumvented by multi-tasking and having a dedicated music player 'app' that doesn't care what else is running. In game music (if any) is auto-muted and/or turned off during?
Or that. Qriocity comes to mind, have Qriocity run in the background (if, and only if, Qriocity is not a RAM hog).
Old 01-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #52
Super Moderator

Nov 2006

Quote:
I think the patent doesn't mention mobile devices.
Good point.

Quote:
Or that. Qriocity comes to mind, have Qriocity run in the background (if, and only if, Qriocity is not a RAM hog).
Qriocity would have to be done over 3G on the road which would require the baseband to be running (and that is a ramhog).
Old 01-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
626, So Cal

Quote:
An ASIC would probably be cheaper than more RAM, depending.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #54
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Just look at that screen!

Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #55
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Square-Enix can produce games better looking than their PSP bullshots now, and they're pretty incredible:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/playstatio...se-boxart.html

Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #56
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Old 01-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #57

Jul 2007

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/vide...l/ppv.flv.html

Shows a little bit of the UI. The store integration is a lot better than on the PS3 IMO and that's something that I hope they implement on the PS3.

Also, for those wondering about 3D, apparently the talk is if NGP can do 120Hz refresh rate then it is already capable of 3D, but it would either require glasses or lenticular lenses sheet put on top of the screen. From my understanding it would use autosteroscopic 3D, which is superior to the tech being used on the 3DS. Whether or not Sony does it is another matter altogether, but they could quickly sell an accessory if the 3D in the 3DS becomes mainstream.

I personally would prefer they add a portable projector add on
Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #58
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

always nice to be wrong about stuff, in a good way

Quote:
As announced at PlayStation meeting, the NGP is compatible with PSP software. PSP titles will run completely through emulation, said Hirai.

Of course, you'll only be able to use downloadable versions of PSP games. Sony is currently in negotiations to get software makers to actively release download versions of their games.

Those who already have downloadable PSP titles on their PSP system will be able to redownload them to NGP, assuming you're still within the download number limits imposed by PSN.
andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/29/hirai_ngp_details/
Old 01-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #59
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop View Post
always nice to be wrong about stuff, in a good way

andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/29/hirai_ngp_details/
You should have stayed up to see the liveblog Its possible with the Playstation Suite too.

Quote:
6:23AM "We will first emulate the first generation PSP titles to be available on PS Suite devices."
Engaget Liveblog

As for the 3D Eurogamer asked Andrew House, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe:

Quote:
Eurogamer: Is the screen potentially capable of 3D, with glasses?

Andrew House: Um... I'm not sure, is the honest answer to that question. [Once again, it sounds like he really doesn't know.] But that does not sit within our plans right now.

Eurogamer: That seems interesting, given that 3D is such a big thing for Sony as a whole in terms of its TV business, and PS3...

Andrew House: It's a fair question. I think that we view 3D as having the greatest potential, in the near term, in what I would call a dedicated entertainment environment. And that's in the home, around the television, and where it's a shared experience. I think that's really important. We struggle a little bit to see how that 3D, shared experience translates to portable devices as they currently stand.
Edit: We all remember what the said about Rumble and Touch sreens right?

Last edited by Mavrick; 01-28-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #60
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

i did stay up for it, i don't remember reading psp games would be included in the playstation suite though

edit:

Update: Looks like PlayStation Suite requires Android 2.3 at a minimum, and it's PSOne, not PlayStation Portable titles that will be emulated here, despite Kaz Hirai's quote during the festivities. PR after the break!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/27/s...station-suite/

Last edited by xtop; 01-28-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PlayStation Vita and PlayStation Portable