Best PS Vita Game Deals

Best PS Vita Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Shinobido 2: Revenge Of Zen (PS Vita)
$29.99

Shiren The Wanderer: The Tower Of Fortune And The Dice Of Fate (PS Vita)
$19.01

Akiba's Beat (PS Vita)
$19.99

Muv-Luv Alternative (PS Vita)
$39.99

Punch Line (PS Vita)
$39.65

Death Mark (PS Vita)
$32.86
16 hrs ago
Bad Apple Wars (PS Vita)
$24.11

Lost Child (PS Vita)
$25.20

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PlayStation Vita and PlayStation Portable

Old 12-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #21
Power Member

May 2007
NYC

I tried netflix and Amazon which didn't work. I'm assuming a blu-ray didn't either?
Old 12-14-2013, 03:26 AM   #22

Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Kid View Post
I have played all these in the house and out through Remote Play:
Warframe
DCUO
Knack
Resogun
Contrast
I'm trying to get remote play for DCUO to work via internet away from the house. What port(s) are you forwarding? What are you're TCP and UDP router settings?
Old 12-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #23
Power Member

Dec 2011
The Room of Space and Time

I tried playing cod but it has a delay not the controls but the video feed on the vita how can I fix that
Old 12-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarez468 View Post
I tried playing cod but it has a delay not the controls but the video feed on the vita how can I fix that
depends on the circumstances you're playing in.
Are you using the option in the PS4 "Connect directly to PS4"?
How far are you from the PS4 or router?
Are you in the same network your PS4 is connected to?

as for me...
When you initially connect your Vita to your PS4 it tells you that you need to be connected to the same PSN account for both devices + the fact that the PS4 standby mode is able to connect to PSN led me to the conclusion that the Vita should/is able to locate your PS4 over the internet remote play via PSN.
I guess I was wrong. I tried leaving my PS4 on to see if I could get remote play to work via internet...still no luck for me
Old 12-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #25
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

OK, I am impressed. Using my Vita connected through my 4g on my phone was just playing Assassin's Creed 4 from 1500 miles away. Amazing.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terjyn View Post
OK, I am impressed. Using my Vita connected through my 4g on my phone was just playing Assassin's Creed 4 from 1500 miles away. Amazing.
I know, right?

See Sony doesn't need to mandate digital only - they just need to let this take off so that people voluntarily go digital so that they have full access to their game library when away and using remote play. I know more than once I've had Knack in the drive and wished it had been KZ or Injustice instead (or wished they were all digital.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
the Anals of Uranus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Kid View Post
I know, right?

See Sony doesn't need to mandate digital only - they just need to let this take off so that people voluntarily go digital so that they have full access to their game library when away and using remote play. I know more than once I've had Knack in the drive and wished it had been KZ or Injustice instead (or wished they were all digital.
but the HDD size limitation kinda puts a kabosh on that at the same time ..
and yes i know you can upgrade the HDD but its still not an infinite amount of space and at some point part of your digital collection would not be available
Old 12-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodintentions View Post
but the HDD size limitation kinda puts a kabosh on that at the same time ..
and yes i know you can upgrade the HDD but its still not an infinite amount of space and at some point part of your digital collection would not be available
But aren't all the games basically doing a full install anyway? I thought they were - meaning the only upsides of physical are really trading, resale, etc...
Old 01-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Connecticut

I can't wait to get a Vita to play this away from home lol
Old 01-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX

Ok, learned something new.

Having an Astro Headset base plugged into your PS4 when you try to remote play in will cause Remote play to fail.

It appears when the PS4 turns on and the headset base turns on, it immediately wants you to assign the headset to a user (similar to the controller). While Remote Play handles the controller, it doesn't seem to understand the headset and gets blocked from logging in.

TL;DR version
If you have a headset plugged into the USB, try logging into Remote Play over the internet, get "checking the connection environment" and then get "failed to log in" - try unplugging the headset (or headset base) from USB before leaving the house and trying to Remote Play over the internet.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #31
Power Member

May 2007
NYC

Is there an option somewhere for connecting directly to the PS4 or over the internet? I know some people say they can use remote play away from home, however I only seem to have the option to connect directly to the PS4.

Edit: Nevermind, I just tried connecting remote play from work, first it was checking nearby and now it is checking via internet.

I have fast wifi at home, and since I can't go far from my PS4 when connected directly, I am thinking it would be faster to connect through the internet, but not sure. When I am home, it only connects directly to the PS4, is there a way to turn that off?

Last edited by mike79; 01-07-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike79 View Post
I have fast wifi at home, and since I can't go far from my PS4 when connected directly, I am thinking it would be faster to connect through the internet, but not sure. When I am home, it only connects directly to the PS4, is there a way to turn that off?
There is a setting on the PS4, but I forget if it is check box to only allow direct connection (PS4<->Vita) or if it is a check box to only allow internet based connection (PS4<->Internet<->Vita)
Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #33
Power Member

May 2007
NYC

Thank you, I will check it out when I get home from work.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

How well do you guys handle signal handles from playing a multiplayer game compared to an offline game from another location? I tried remote play several times from a library, and I have usually played multiplayer games, which I had constant freezes, chromatic artifacts bluring the image, and drop outs.

Today I tried playing COD ghost online (borrowed from a library a couple of days ago), and it was basically unplayable, (I got 0-10 on Team Deathmatch, people got understandably apesh*t, lol), I wasn't expecting to do well, but not this bad. Side note, I did okay on a few matches on Killzone, but It still alot harder to play. Somewhat oddly, when I decided to play some of the campaign on COD on Hardened, I had a pretty tolerable experience; functional combat, good image quality, rarely misses a beat. I still had latency, but it wasn't unplayable unlike playing the multiplayer on remote play.

I'd figured that online play shouldn't take too much bandwidth away for remote play to function. I have a 50 Mb download and 10 Mb upload speed from my home, the PS4 is connected through wired. I just wanted some feedback.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #35
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post
How well do you guys handle signal handles from playing a multiplayer game compared to an offline game from another location? I tried remote play several times from a library, and I have usually played multiplayer games, which I had constant freezes, chromatic artifacts bluring the image, and drop outs.

Today I tried playing COD ghost online (borrowed from a library a couple of days ago), and it was basically unplayable, (I got 0-10 on Team Deathmatch, people got understandably apesh*t, lol), I wasn't expecting to do well, but not this bad. Side note, I did okay on a few matches on Killzone, but It still alot harder to play. Somewhat oddly, when I decided to play some of the campaign on COD on Hardened, I had a pretty tolerable experience; functional combat, good image quality, rarely misses a beat. I still had latency, but it wasn't unplayable unlike playing the multiplayer on remote play.

I'd figured that online play shouldn't take too much bandwidth away for remote play to function. I have a 50 Mb download and 10 Mb upload speed from my home, the PS4 is connected through wired. I just wanted some feedback.
I haven't tried a ton from specific wifi hotspots. My primary experience is either from direct PS4-PSV, on my local (but outside PS4 range), or my wifi hotspot.

I find it hit or miss - more so out of the house be even sometimes in it.

Overall the latency has been low enough to play DCUO, Warframe, and Knack but I will get times of high latency where movements seem to get scrambled or act crazy. At those times I'll also get screen stutter or a lot of artifacts.

When it is working perfectly, it hums. I think the issue is that there are so many different points in the chain something can go wrong and it's only as good as the weakest link.

I was just thinking about it this weekend a lot, but I hope that with Remote Play developers don't stop doing cross-play, cross-save, and synergistic companion games. Remote play is the great gateway drug for getting a PSV, but the reality is it works best for replicating the Wii U home play and when you are stuck somewhere for long periods of time and want to play the PS4. If you're on the go and possibly logging in and out several times a day, it becomes quickly apparent that having a native Vita app that you can suspend and restart is a much better on the go option.

I was playing Injustice on the PS4 this weekend and it dawned on me that it might actually be worth getting the Vita version also just so I can play easier on the go and not be logging into my PS4 all the time if I don't have to.

Personally I hope the Watchdogs and Division companion games/apps take off - then they can start certifying them for PSVita, but also building more PSV companion games. I think if there were things like the Injustice phone/tablet app for PSV that were simpler and either cheaper or done with in-app purchases - but that tied to the PS4 version of the game in some fashion - I think you'd see Vita owners respond.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

I know this is an old thread, but I do have a question about wi-fi hotspots on phones. Also thank you PA Kid for taking the time to post (even though I didn't respond to it two months ago ).

To be clear, I think I found my sweet spots when it comes to remote play now. Most of the games I found playable with the exception of fast pace online shooters, so I'll still keep my expectations realistic. I tend to find places with 4-5 mb upload speed or more to be the most reliable.

I don't know much about data plans since I still own a nearly 5 year old plain jane LG cell phone. I'm not planning on upgrading yet, but I seem to notice a lot of data plans on phones are extremely restrictive, especially compared to data plans from cable companies, a bit difficult to clarify what companies actually have "unlimited data", and are usually extremely expensive options.

I haven't found much of any useful documentation relating remote play regarding their bandwidth usage.Considering my own upload speed and requirements of the wi-fi location, I would have to make sure that the wi-fi hotspot could be up to snuff.

What I'm wondering is how much data would remote play take from your data plan? Say I play on remote play for an hour, how much data does it actually take? If I were to have a 10GB plan, would it take about 1GB away if I play for that hour for example? I know if I use it for downloading games, the cap will exceed pretty quickly.

I know I'm not planning on upgrading to a new phone, but I like to learn more about it at least.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #37
Special Member

Aug 2011

It really depends on the bandwidth required to stream. If it's 5 megaBITs per second, then one hour would require 2.19GB of data. You are steaming video and input data. If it only requires 3mbps, then it would use up 1.31GB per hour. I'm not quite sure how fast of a connection it actually requires, but I would put it at around 3-6mbps. So, you are looking at 1.3-2.5GB per hour of gaming.

The best way to get a good idea is to put a data usage app on your phone and play for 10 minutes, then multiply it by 6 for an estimate.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Texas. Muggy & Hot 24/7/365

Can someone here explain the point of remote play? I am confused as the practical nature of the whole thing. Doesn' the PS4 need to be on for remote play to work?

If that is the case, then why not just play on the actual system? What's the appeal?

Did try this on the Infamous second son, but again PS4 has to be on...?
Old 03-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #39
Power Member

May 2007
NYC

I use remote play when my TV is being used by someone. It usually works good but some games don't work so wellb without the DS4.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
It really depends on the bandwidth required to stream. If it's 5 megaBITs per second, then one hour would require 2.19GB of data. You are steaming video and input data. If it only requires 3mbps, then it would use up 1.31GB per hour. I'm not quite sure how fast of a connection it actually requires, but I would put it at around 3-6mbps. So, you are looking at 1.3-2.5GB per hour of gaming.

The best way to get a good idea is to put a data usage app on your phone and play for 10 minutes, then multiply it by 6 for an estimate.
I don't have a smartphone, but if it needs that much data, other than for the occasional commute, it sounds difficult to justify using it unless I could get a data plan that can deal with such heavy usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S View Post
Can someone here explain the point of remote play? I am confused as the practical nature of the whole thing. Doesn' the PS4 need to be on for remote play to work?

If that is the case, then why not just play on the actual system? What's the appeal?

Did try this on the Infamous second son, but again PS4 has to be on...?
You don't need your PS4 on whenever you want to use remote play, but you do need to set your PS4 on Standby mode (which you probably should be doing anyway) in order to use it. You can turn on your PS4 through the internet (through any location that has wi-fi, including a smart phone wi-fi hotspot), and you can hop back on whenever you leave remote play or if the connection is dropped.

The functionality does however depend on the download and upload speed of your home and outside wi-fi location. I have a 50 mbps download/ 11 upload speed from my home, I found locations that have 5-10 mbps download and 3-5 mbps upload work fine with remote play. Of course, mileage varies depending on the wi-fi location, and your home's speed. I do recommend you have your PS4 wired since I find remote play most reliably works, but I have tried using wireless through my PS4 (with problematic results, but it can work).

I usually use remote play in my university's library, it is nice to play my PS4 games after crunching several hours on a paper. If you use your phone as a wifi hotspot that is fast enough (and can tolerate the expenses of your cell phone's data plan), you could theoretically have a portable PS4 .
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PlayStation Vita and PlayStation Portable