Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Flight of the Butterflies 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50
1 hr ago
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Prototype 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.26

The LEGO Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.00
22 hrs ago
Dino King 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.49

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.92

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 11-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #41

Jul 2011

I'm curious how Darbee is different than adjusting the setting on your TV such as sharpness, color, etc.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:16 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycomet View Post
^^^^^^^

Hey there Joe,

I am glad you are happy with the Darbee. Last night I was viewing Star Wars The Force Awakens in 3D and I started playing with the settings on my Darbee. I can confirm that you are right about the increase in color pop on certain settings. Improvements with contrast, brightness, sharpness and color intensity are all affected by the Darbee.

What equipment are you viewing your movies on? Are you using a projector and projection screen? If so, what is your screen size and which projector are you using?

Have a great Thanksgiving holiday!
Hi nycomet,

Hey, thanks so much. It's great and I do mean GREAT!

My set up is modest. A Sony kdl50w800b 50 inch active 3D set and Sony low cost 3D Blu ray player along with a Panasonic DVD recorder, Denon receiver, phase technology main speakers, Yamaha surrounds and Polk subwoofer.

Used Disney Wow for the HD adjustments. Beforehand was using separate inputs on the set for the video devices but now connected them to the Denon. With the darbee off saw my picture adjustments remained same except color lowered from 60 to 59.

Have the darbee set to 60% on the HD setting for cable and 70 for Blu Ray which uses the same "custom mode" adjustments.

For my DVD-r's I use slightly different user settings in the "standard" setting to get them to match the original HD source in terms of color, contrast, etc as much as posdible. These are movies recorded off TCM, HBO, etc with flexible recording speeds recorded via s-video output and naturally up converted. Can see a difference even on these. Though not Blu ray quality, they stand up on their own quite nicely and with the darbee would say it's now a 7.8 out of 10 compared to the original where before it was a 7. American in Paris is beautiful, even in this format and a softer picture. Increased darbee to 70.

DVDs look great depending upon the quality. Watch those on my "vivid" setting for color is washed out using HD adjustments. Know vivid is bright but used the THX optimizer on star wars III to account for that. For this I have the darbee increased to 70 as well. Star wars looked great, the demo showed how much it brought it to near Blu ray. On the other hand, my dvd of GiGi was still disappointing so ordered the Blu ray last night.

The darbee does all this without distortion. Increased detail does not come with any harshness and improper edge enhancement, over saturation, etc.

We watched monsters university in 3D last night and it was indeed a wow compared to turning the darbee off.

Comet. You and yours have a great gobble gobble!

Last edited by Joe D.; 11-23-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:32 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb3 View Post
I'm curious how Darbee is different than adjusting the setting on your TV such as sharpness, color, etc.
Hi pjb

Amount of increased detail, black and contrast levels are not general but by pixel so the changes are not uniform throughout the picture but vary by objects within the frame. Some will have more details added than others. The percentage one sets by the darbee is the only increment one needs to make.

Can see the difference in the demo comparison or simply turning it on and off.

Last edited by Joe D.; 11-23-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:22 PM   #44
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2012
Missouri

It's $129 at Monoprice.

Last edited by i007spectre; 11-23-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:04 AM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
It's $129 at Monoprice.
Shucks, with my bonus points, still paid ten dollars more.

But it is worth the investment. If one is happy with his or her set, this might very well be the compromise between that and a new 4K one. Cannot give a guess as to the increased resolution but it's there, for sure.

BTW, 007,

Whose going to play you in the next film?

Last edited by Joe D.; 11-24-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:08 AM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Second update.

Did not realize default was set at five percent increments rather than one percent so fooling around a bit. Increased from 60 to 68 Fine tuning helped. . Found my "custom" mode setting with this is perfect for all my video options including DVD so no longer need to switch picture mode on set. Gather THX optimizer on DVD not efficient when up converted from 480p which I experimented with using another of.my set's picture modes.

Initial set user settings do have profound affects on the darbee so not to change them.

Last edited by Joe D.; 11-25-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:40 AM   #47
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Would super resolution setting on oleds or sonys do the same thing as this darbee?
Old 11-25-2016, 06:37 AM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll View Post
Would super resolution setting on oleds or sonys do the same thing as this darbee?
Hi evoll,

These are from the darbee q and a page:

How is DVP different from a contrast filter, color enhancer, or sharpener?

DVP does not affect the image in a global fashion and will not cause most of the typical image artifacts and degradations that are common to contrast, color, or sharpening filters. DVP will not change the gamma, and will not ring edges. DVP conditionally modifies the luminance of individual pixels. It never changes the hue of a color, although it may modify the chroma saturation to follow luminance changes appropriately (so that red does not become pink, for instance).

Should I have my equipment calibrated before or after I install the DVP 5000S?

Calibrate and then add the DVP 5000S. The DVP 5000S will not affect your color, brightness, contrast, or gamma settings for the calibration.

http://www.darbeevision.com/faq/#

Hope this helps. I do see a difference as others do. If curious, purchase from a site that gives you ample time to return it for a full refund with no restocking fees or questions asked. Also use free shipping for shipping charges might not be refundable.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #49
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

Good news for 3D fans but now I'm wondering if it works with video games.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:42 PM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

I may pick this up from crutchfield since I have about $50 in points to put towards it. Just curious to see how it looks compared to using the oppo with +1 sharpness.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:01 PM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycomet View Post
(I believe forum member Paul H daisy chains FOUR Darbees in his set-up!).

My eyes perceive more contrast and a sharper image. It might be an illusion, but to me it brings the quality of the viewing experience up a few notches.
Agreed, Very True!
Actually, I have two sets of four Darblets that I use for different setups.
Quote:
Could be wrong, but I think "Super resolution" on the LG OLED expands the 4K up-conversion processes to resolve two 1080P image Views, not just a 2D image. The increase in detail seems very effective.
Quote:
Just curious to see how it looks compared to using the oppo with +1 sharpness.
The Darblet increases visual dynamics at individual pixel levels. The enhancement builds from the individual pixel, inside out, not the other way around.

When using four DVP-5000 Darblets in daisy chain, it compounds the dynamics using very low settings. Artifacts only become noticeable trying to get the same results from one unit.
Thanks given by:
nycomet (11-29-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 10:51 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
Good news for 3D fans but now I'm wondering if it works with video games.
Hi Jbug,

From their q&a section:

"Gaming Mode provides a stronger enhancement and fairly strong artifact suppression. It's great for clean computer-generated video, such as games and animated movies."

Hey, if anyone is interested, my setting is now at 61 as I'm getting more used to its precision enhancing. The detail remains but able to not overdo it with grain which 68 did. Best way to determine this is to compare turning it on and off to see if increased detail is accompanied by grain or harshness. At 61, it isn't. Darbee also says consensus is 60.

Last edited by Joe D.; 11-25-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:44 PM   #53
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2012
Missouri

Bought one this past weekend. Says it wont be delivered until Saturday though.
Thanks given by:
nycomet (11-28-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 12:36 AM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
Bought one this past weekend. Says it wont be delivered until Saturday though.
Hi 007,

Blessed is the one who waits......

Congratulations. I think you'll notice a difference. Keep your set calibrations as they are now. Let me know what you think of it.

Joe
Thanks given by:
i007spectre (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 01:26 AM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2014

Hooah, never saw one of these before. I'm joining the party and just ordered one
Old 11-29-2016, 05:23 AM   #56
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteCR View Post
Hooah, never saw one of these before. I'm joining the party and just ordered one
Hi infinite,

As the one who originally posed the question and had been giving it the reviews since receiving it last Tuesday, I feel I'm also now the one in the spot. It better work for you guys or I'm afraid I'll be the next 3D "pop out" in this forum.

It does do the job. I was keeping my setting at 61 using the HD (green) mode for everything but tonight noticed I could increase the level to 81 for DVDs that are properly remastered (like the earlier Star Wars, Les Miserables, etc.). These look better than ever and are satisfactorily close enough to HD quality (prior to the darbee) that I don't need to replace. Older ones utilizing poor prints or with no remastering (i.e. the original release of 2001 which was washed out, blurry and with ghosting) are clearer but do not expect miracles (BTW it has been replaced with a Blu ray copy).

Do think you'll enjoy it. Please let me know if you do or if I'm to be a popping out of your TV screen sometime soon!
Old 11-29-2016, 06:22 AM   #57

Sep 2014
California
USA

I have one of these ,
I really like the extra pop it seems to give to the 3D , I have it set at 40 and run everything through it.

EDIT : It does not effect aspect ratio

Last edited by EVERRET; 11-30-2016 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #58
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi Jbug,

From their q&a section:

"Gaming Mode provides a stronger enhancement and fairly strong artifact suppression. It's great for clean computer-generated video, such as games and animated movies."

Hey, if anyone is interested, my setting is now at 61 as I'm getting more used to its precision enhancing. The detail remains but able to not overdo it with grain which 68 did. Best way to determine this is to compare turning it on and off to see if increased detail is accompanied by grain or harshness. At 61, it isn't. Darbee also says consensus is 60.

I picked up Sony's VR system. At this stage (development wise) the graphics or rather the resolution is lacking and needs help. I'm thinking of adding Darbee to the chain. By the way the system is great and has much promise. I'm hooked on being inside of a game or VR experience. Standing on the roof top of GCPD in Gotham (Batman VR game) and looking down and every where else is a new experience to be sure as life in VR is in real life size.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:57 PM   #59
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
I picked up Sony's VR system. At this stage (development wise) the graphics or rather the resolution is lacking and needs help. I'm thinking of adding Darbee to the chain. By the way the system is great and has much promise. I'm hooked on being inside of a game or VR experience. Standing on the roof top of GCPD in Gotham (Batman VR game) and looking down and every where else is a new experience to be sure as life in VR is in real life size.
Hi Jbug,

I'm not into gaming so cannot comment. But last night it did bring new life into my DVD copy of "Les Mis".
Old 11-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi Jbug,

I'm not into gaming so cannot comment. But last night it did bring new life into my DVD copy of "Les Mis".
No problem Joe and the fact that it works on low resolutions is good news to me. Is there another version out or coming out that handles 4k? If it's not out anyone know when?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology