Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.26

Prototype 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The LEGO Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.92
2 hrs ago
Dino King 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.49

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.92

Jivaro 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.98

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 07-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #41
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2007

I've tried it My Bloody Valentine, Polar Express, Journey to the Center of the Earth and Friday the 13th Part 3 and haven't been impressed. In fact, I can only stand it for around 10-15 minutes. To me, it seems blurry, there is ghosting and the colors aren't very good. Seems to negate all the benefits of having blu-ray except for the improved sound.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:33 AM   #42

Apr 2009
Rockville, MD

i personally don't get why we have to have this multi-colored lens crap. my bloody valentine looked okay at times, but for the most part, you see double images and it gives you a headache after a while.

i think it's a scam. why can't the BD contain the same exact overlayed images from the theater screening? an image is an image. nothing about an LCD, plasma, or whatever screen would change something that is copied pixel by pixel. all they're doing is giving you incentive to see it in theaters, and in ten years they'll release new versions that are in real-D.

is there some science behind this i'm missing? can someone please explain it. ...so i can argue with you.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:08 AM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyblah View Post
i personally don't get why we have to have this multi-colored lens crap. my bloody valentine looked okay at times, but for the most part, you see double images and it gives you a headache after a while.

i think it's a scam. why can't the BD contain the same exact overlayed images from the theater screening? an image is an image. nothing about an LCD, plasma, or whatever screen would change something that is copied pixel by pixel. all they're doing is giving you incentive to see it in theaters, and in ten years they'll release new versions that are in real-D.

is there some science behind this i'm missing? can someone please explain it. ...so i can argue with you.
It's just not ready for home use. 60Hz TVs have too slow a framerate to accomodate 3D without a lot of flicker. 120Hz TVs aren't the answer because they still only accept up to a 60Hz signal.

And those are only some of the factors that prevent full color 3D at home for now.

Here are some articles on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_television

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ver-3d-tv.html

http://www.televisions.com/Articles/TV_in_3D.php

In short, it's not a scam. Anaglyph 3D is the best we can get at home for now. If they could already provide us with polarized 3D at home with zero issues, they'd already be selling it to us.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-25-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:48 AM   #44
Special Member

Apr 2009
Boston, MA

i didnt like the 3-D thing until my girl made me sit down and watch coraline in 3-D. now if u wanna watch a 3-D movie that should be the one. not only is it 3-D but it's an amazing movie. the headache part is ur eyes trying to adjust to it and once it adjust it's awesome
Old 07-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyblah View Post

I thought that the reason the technology does not exist at home is because for the "RealD" they use in the theater, you have to have two totally different images, one slightly overlapping the other, so they either use two projectors or one screen in front of another at the theater. That could be totally stupid and wrong though, that's just what somebody who is really into visual design and lighting told me. So if it's wrong, blame him
Old 07-25-2009, 06:47 AM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Here's How RealD works: http://www.edcf.net/edcf_docs/real-d.pdf

As you mentioned, BrandonT, it's not one hardcoded image. However, the effect can be produced with a single projector.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-25-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:24 AM   #47
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

I was not pleased with MBV.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:19 AM   #48

May 2009
New Hope,MN
Send a message via Yahoo to Jtodd

I personally dont mind the 3-d I think every movie buff should have a few in their collection,but then again i never had high expectations for home 3-d.I think for what it is its good,people keep comparing to the theater 3-d and that is just stupid totally different and not even worth talking about.Im not all pumped up about the home 3-d but i dont think its that bad either im good with it!
Old 07-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #49
Contributor

Apr 2008

It gives me headaches.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:02 AM   #50

Apr 2009
London

Throughout MBV 3D I felt like I was watching it wrong. I had to keep focusing, the colours were always green or purple which meant I had to focus more to find the real colours. The 3D didn't jump at you for the most part - apart from the flying jaw and the bullet at the end - It just didn't feel like it was worth it in the end.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #51
Power Member

Mar 2005

the red and blue glasses and the ghosting is bland(((

would perfer if real-d did come out with tvs that the lens of the glasses were built into the tv set
Old 08-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

I have 2 anaglyph Blu-Rays.

I remember buying The Polar Express in 2008 wondering how 3D on Blu-Ray would work having been impressed with many theatrical 3D movies. I never bought the 2D Blu-Ray and since the 3D double dip included the same 2D version on the previous release plus extras and a new TrueHD track I figured it was a safe bet. This is true but the 3D turned out to be a terrible dissipointment. The ghosting was horrible, the colors were destroyed, and the fine detail was vastly inferior to the 2D version. I gave the 3D version a second watch for perspective but most of my viewings of the Polar Express have been in 2D since it was clear that home 3D at the time was not worth the hassle and wasn't what we were getting in the theatre.

My second was Coraline which I bought more because I liked the movie and the 3D version just came with the package. I still gave the 3D a watch. It was improved over The Polar Express but was still way behind the theatrical 3D experiance especially since Coraline was one of the best 3D presentations I had ever seen. Ghosting, color washing, and detail loss were all there in a big way.

If anaglyph was all there was for home 3D I could endorse them as a harmless extra feature. On the positive side they do deliver a sometime impressive sense of depth on all televisions. However with 3D Full HD now a reality I can't help but feel anaglyphs are hurting the market. They confuse people and leave a bad taste in peoples mouth for 3D. This makes me kind of wish that studios had been patient and waited for a proper 3D standard before trying to profit off 3Ds popularity at home. However you can always count on studios to put short term profit over long term benefits of the industry.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #53
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Wrestling in Ireland. PSNetwork: Nerdkiller316PSN Nerds beaten up: Loads

Hey, I totally forgot about this thread that I made. But to be honest, I don't own any anaglyph 3D BD's. The glasses are just too cheap and tacky. And with the community's reaction to them, its best left alone. I'm just gonna hold out until they get those autostereoscopic 3D TV's so I won't have to suffer battery draining shutter glasses.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdkiller likes BD View Post
Hey, I totally forgot about this thread that I made. But to be honest, I don't own any anaglyph 3D BD's. The glasses are just too cheap and tacky. And with the community's reaction to them, its best left alone. I'm just gonna hold out until they get those autostereoscopic 3D TV's so I won't have to suffer battery draining shutter glasses.
No offense dude but your in for a long long wait. Anyone who thinks autostereo TVs are right around the corner needs to do some research.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #55

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
I have 2 anaglyph Blu-Rays.

I remember buying The Polar Express in 2008 wondering how 3D on Blu-Ray would work having been impressed with many theatrical 3D movies. I never bought the 2D Blu-Ray and since the 3D double dip included the same 2D version on the previous release plus extras and a new TrueHD track I figured it was a safe bet. This is true but the 3D turned out to be a terrible dissipointment. The ghosting was horrible, the colors were destroyed, and the fine detail was vastly inferior to the 2D version. I gave the 3D version a second watch for perspective but most of my viewings of the Polar Express have been in 2D since it was clear that home 3D at the time was not worth the hassle and wasn't what we were getting in the theatre.

My second was Coraline which I bought more because I liked the movie and the 3D version just came with the package. I still gave the 3D a watch. It was improved over The Polar Express but was still way behind the theatrical 3D experiance especially since Coraline was one of the best 3D presentations I had ever seen. Ghosting, color washing, and detail loss were all there in a big way.

If anaglyph was all there was for home 3D I could endorse them as a harmless extra feature. On the positive side they do deliver a sometime impressive sense of depth on all televisions. However with 3D Full HD now a reality I can't help but feel anaglyphs are hurting the market. They confuse people and leave a bad taste in peoples mouth for 3D. This makes me kind of wish that studios had been patient and waited for a proper 3D standard before trying to profit off 3Ds popularity at home. However you can always count on studios to put short term profit over long term benefits of the industry.
"However with 3D Full HD now a reality I can't help but feel anaglyphs are hurting the market. They confuse people and leave a bad taste in peoples mouth for 3D"

This is so true!!!! Anaglyph will confuse a lot of people...just think about the vast number of people that still haven't bought a BD-player...try explaining anaglyph vs. stereoscopic to them!?!?
Old 08-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #56
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Wrestling in Ireland. PSNetwork: Nerdkiller316PSN Nerds beaten up: Loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyle View Post
"However with 3D Full HD now a reality I can't help but feel anaglyphs are hurting the market. They confuse people and leave a bad taste in peoples mouth for 3D"

This is so true!!!! Anaglyph will confuse a lot of people...just think about the vast number of people that still haven't bought a BD-player...try explaining anaglyph vs. stereoscopic to them!?!?
Well the packaging needs to state that the newer 3D movies require newer hardware, if not already required as well as indicating that this isn't the red and blue 3D that most people are already familier with...but the real problem would have to be letting people know which model of TV's and players allow you to show the 3D picture. I suggest a website to let you know which models, say...this very website?
Old 08-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdkiller likes BD View Post
Well the packaging needs to state that the newer 3D movies require newer hardware, if not already required as well as indicating that this isn't the red and blue 3D that most people are already familier with...but the real problem would have to be letting people know which model of TV's and players allow you to show the 3D picture. I suggest a website to let you know which models, say...this very website?
Two things on the packaging distinguishes the two forms of 3D. One is the official Blu-Ray 3D logo which isn't present on anaglyph discs and there are warnings that 3D requires new hardware that obviously are not present on anaglyph discs. Because of this there is no reason any informed consumer should confuse the two.

It may not be enough however. Fact is people are stupid. Ive head stories of morons returning Blu-Rays cause they can't play in there DVD players so some confusion between 3D Full HD and anaglyph unfortunitly is inevidible. One thing that will help is to never release any more anaglyph discs. The January 2010 release of The Final Destination will hopefully be the last anaglyph 3D Blu-Ray ever released. Re-release all anaglyph 3D Blu-Rays in 3D Full HD as soon as possible and discontinue the older anaglyph versions imediately after. That should eventually get anaglyph off the market never too return.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyle View Post
"try explaining anaglyph vs. stereoscopic to them!?!?
Well technically anaglyph 3D is still stereoscopic. Stereoscopic refers to producing a 3D effect by separating two slightly different images to each eye. Anaglyph 3D does do that so it is still stereoscopic but it achieves this by blocking out parts of the image instead of separating full color streams as active shutter and polarized 3D does.

I think the proper term should be anaglyph versus 3D Full HD or active shutter 3D. Even when anaglyphs are encoded at 1080p the colored glasses block out enough of the image to each eye which severely reduces detail. That they can hardly be an HD picture. Only active shutter based 3D televisions can send two full 1080p video streams to each eye.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #59
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Those Plastic Glasses

Hey, I have a few anaglyph 3D titles... Coraline and also a short called Bob's Big Break on the Monsters vs Aliens thingie.

(By the way... It's not red a blue glasses it's magenta and green glasses.)

Well.... I'm glad the non-3D versions of both of these is on the discs as I generally prefer that but I see this older 3D as a free and possibly fun diversion now and then.

I don't have a projector that's compatable with the newer hardware driven blu ray 3D stuff.

I just bought some plastic glasses from Ebay for $1.68 shipped. If they work well... I pick up a few more pairs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magenta-Green-Cy...53762410738638

I've read the plastic glasses are slightly better quality than the paper ones and that's easy enough to believe. I can't wait to try them though I don't think they will fully eliminate the ghosting and cross talk.

(Coraline has some ghosts in the story anyway.)

=Brian
Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #60
Power Member

Aug 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada

I just was looking for a 3d tv but i just read that next year the new tv's will be coming out with reald 3d same as in the movie theaters so now i am thinking i should wait a bit and see what happens . What do you guys think?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Tags
anaglyph, anaglyph's 3d, choices, color cartoon, glasses, third dimension