Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
13 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
11 hrs ago
Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
13 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Orphen: Complete Collection SD (Blu-ray)
$10.99

The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Motherless Brooklyn (Blu-ray)
$14.99
12 hrs ago
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Sonic the Hedgehog (Blu-ray)
$22.99
10 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for PS5
400-499 119 70.41%
500-599 37 21.89%
600-699 5 2.96%
700+ 8 4.73%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #3381
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRD43L View Post
Sony left out 4K player because of cost. It's always about the cost and Sony tends to be very conservative when it comes to investments vs. profit. And Sony did not have to offer a 4K player because they knew they had the lead. That was a deliberate choice Sony made.
So why include 4K player this time?
Old 01-09-2020, 09:12 AM   #3382
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2011
On my sofa

Because it's cheaper to produce now....because 4K is more popular now....
Old 01-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #3383
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Well itís a cheaper solution to manufacture game discs then proprietary mem cards for games.

I actually wouldnít mind games being on cards like the switch for example.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #3384
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
It's a given just like we have DVD playback. These things are usually fully BC with movies as it's pretty much all easily done and demanded. I know Sony dropped like "Super Audio CD" support or something for PS3 one time alongside BC but the Blu Ray drives and UHD for next gen should be able to still play DVD, Blu Ray and i'd even guess audio CDs. Just depending on certain codecs being supported is all.
Thanks. Itís nice to have a great back up that guarantees playback for the next decade but also covers UHD.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:03 AM   #3385
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Lemmy View Post
Because it's cheaper to produce now....because 4K is more popular now....
Iím hoping the PS5 will give UHD a big boost.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #3386
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Fans?

People are gamers & like choice regardless of what brand.
Same here, I have been Sony for past three gens but itís always been about the games. If Microsoft announced a wireless VR headset I would probably have both consoles next gen.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #3387
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2011
On my sofa

For me the only thing MS has over Sony is Forza Horizon series....by far and away my most enjoyable racing franchise.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 10:20 AM   #3388
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
For me the only thing MS has over Sony is Forza Horizon series....by far and away my most enjoyable racing franchise.
Was the first Condemned a Xbox exclusive? I enjoyed that. I had to return the console but I managed to complete that game.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #3389
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011

Quote:
This. They somehow managed to drag Halo and Gears of War from games that averages of low 90s on MetaCritic to ones with averages in the mid-80s.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #3390
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
This. They somehow managed to drag Halo and Gears of War from games that averages of low 90s on MetaCritic to ones with averages in the mid-80s.
It's because those franchises are being developed by cover bands. MS owns the IP's but Halo was originally developed by Bungie and Gears was originally developed by Epic Games.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #3391
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I think the real criticism this generation at least that warrants negative feedback against MS is their management of micro transactions.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #3392
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
I think the real criticism this generation at least that warrants negative feedback against MS is their management of micro transactions.
I think we can all agree that the horrendous problem that is MTX and "Loot Boxes" is the worst problem we had this gen to nickel and dime gamers out of content; but it's not a Microsoft exclusive issue. It's all the greedy asshat publishers

To me, i feel like maybe a handful showed how to do it well. The one that i personally thought was great was Witcher 3. DLCs that were available via season pass and actually based on reviews held up for the price in offering value. They also released 16 or so DLCs for free including minor cosmetics, in game items etc. which others nickel and dime you for including so called pre order bonuses.

Fortnite is a funny one for me, because it's made billions for Epic and arguably been the first successful attempt to force a cross platform online for PlayStation & Xbox as well as others and led to more games using it. However the pricing for cosmetics whilst entirely optional and not integral to play, have been a little exploiting. The financial value of the "V Bucks" to real money based on say a "Legendary" skin is like £16! For ONE skin! Then there's also all the other things like emotes, dances, weapon wraps etc.

Now to the credit of Epic, i would argue things like Starter Packs and Battle Passes that let you earn multiple cosmetic items sorta tempered this. There was also one other thing you could do which was to buy their early access "Save the World" and earn V Bucks through that which i personally do and it's imo saved me hundreds of pounds of real money. So there is an element of "work for reward". I also purchased it at 50% off over a year ago. Unfortunately missed out on the first 50% because i dawdled a little and didn't realise the sale was ending but got it the next time. I've had "value for money" in that respect hut there's no way in hell i can call £16 for a single cosmetic or even half that amount "Value" and these skins range from like maybe £6 for the cheapest, £10 for the next,l and so on when you only purchase a 100 V bucks. Tbh, i don't find that there's significantly more value in buying bulk virtual currency.

I think Black Ops 4 took that as well as Apex Legends to another extreme for cosmetics. Things like you would traditionally unlock in games like CoD MP are now all behind paywalls. Not very smart ones imo.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #3393
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
So why include 4K player this time?
The PS5 and Xbox Series X game discs will both use 100GB discs that require a 4K Blu-ray capable drive to play. Adding the ability to play 4K Blu-ray movies costs $0.

On the Xbox One S & Xbox One X the more expensive Blu-ray drive was only usable for movies because all games had to be on 50GB discs to ensure compatibility with the original Xbox One. The same would have been true for PS4 Pro, so Sony decided it wasn't worth the extra expense.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:10 PM   #3394
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
The PS5 and Xbox Series X game discs will both use 100GB discs that require a 4K Blu-ray capable drive to play. Adding the ability to play 4K Blu-ray movies costs $0.

On the Xbox One S & Xbox One X the more expensive Blu-ray drive was only usable for movies because all games had to be on 50GB discs to ensure compatibility with the original Xbox One. The same would have been true for PS4 Pro, so Sony decided it wasn't worth the extra expense.
Trying to follow.

All drives on all models of Xbox One could read BD movies 25GB/50GB. As for games well thatís just a file to be copied to a HDD/SSD.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #3395
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Trying to follow.

All drives on all models of Xbox One could read BD movies 25GB/50GB. As for games well that’s just a file to be copied to a HDD/SSD.
The Xbox One S & Xbox One X can also read 4K BD movies on 66GB & 100GB discs. But 66GB & 100GB discs could not be used for games because the original Xbox One could not read them. The more expensive Blu-ray drive therefore has zero benefit for games.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X will support 66GB and 100GB discs for games so supporting those same capacity discs for movies costs Sony and Microsoft $0.
Thanks given by:
Derb (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #3396
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
The Xbox One S & Xbox One X can also read 4K BD movies on 66GB & 100GB discs. But 66GB & 100GB discs could not be used for games because the original Xbox One could not read them. The more expensive Blu-ray drive therefore has zero benefit for games.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X will support 66GB and 100GB discs for games so supporting those same capacity discs for movies costs Sony and Microsoft $0.
Thought thatís what ya meant. Thanks for clarifying.

FYI, it doesnít read them well.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:12 PM   #3397
Special Member

Aug 2015

Quote:
If you can find a full hardware based BC model for PS3 then i don't see why it wouldn't be worth picking it up as a backup option if the price is right. You'll get 3 gens worth of PlayStation gaming AND i believe that the Blu Ray players rated even better than the PS4s for it. Drop in a 1TB HDD and you wouldn't have any worries about storage for decades. More likely to have to replace the laser etc.
An OG PS3 is not going to last that long. The thermal paste in all of them has dried up now unless it was replaced after a YLOD. Unless rarely played they will all YLOD at some point. At a minimum you'd have to re-solder the motherboard to get it to last a long time at this point unless you regularly disassemble it to replace the thermal paste.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:13 PM   #3398
Special Member

Aug 2015

Quote:
That lightbar will NOT be missed by me for one HOWEVER i would say that i wish they'd kept it for PSVR compatibility and allowed it to be on/off at user choice. It also makes it incredibly weird then how a Dualshock 5 would be playable on a PS4 too. I just don't quite understand that logic but then not having any of the back buttons as standard. Seems stupid. However just knowing Dualshock 4 is compatible is great if true. Especially so if Sony doesn't release a DS5 Back Button accessory at launch. Which would be silly imo.
Is the main lightbar actually gone though, or just the one above the touchpad?
Old 01-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #3399
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
An OG PS3 is not going to last that long. The thermal paste in all of them has dried up now unless it was replaced after a YLOD. Unless rarely played they will all YLOD at some point. At a minimum you'd have to re-solder the motherboard to get it to last a long time at this point unless you regularly disassemble it to replace the thermal paste.
Perhaps that could be true but i also have never felt Sony products were as bad as the 360 for failure so you might get away with having somebody knowledgeable sort the thermal paste stuff out and whatnot. Or buy a used version and maybe you could reasonably fix one too. It's sometimes even possible to maybe DIY since there's loads of guides on YouTube and the stuff is cheap enough to buy. Plus, a "broken" PS3 is much cheaper to buy i guess than a working OG model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
Is the main lightbar actually gone though, or just the one above the touchpad?
Well right now all indicators are that it is completely gone which leads me to believe one of two things.

1) Sony don't care about Dualshock 5 being compatible with PSVR and the PSVR 2.0 probably won't rely on lightbars either but somehow be BC with PSVR

2) Sony think allowing Dualshock 4 compatibility with PS5 is good enough to support PSVR function on next gen till PSVR 2.0 releases.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-10-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #3400
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Well right now all indicators are that it is completely gone which leads me to believe one of two things.

1) Sony don't care about Dualshock 5 being compatible with PSVR and the PSVR 2.0 probably won't rely on lightbars either but somehow be BC with PSVR

2) Sony think allowing Dualshock 4 compatibility with PS5 is good enough to support PSVR function on next gen till PSVR 2.0 releases.
Is it possible that Sony figured out a VR solution that doesnt rely on the light bar, therefore making it unecessary? Maybe some kind of IR sensor that doesnt rely on any kind of illumination to work?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5