Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$5.00

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Sacrifice! (Blu-ray)
$6.90
19 hrs ago
Midnight Cowboy (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Bull Durham (Blu-ray)
$18.96

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-31-2007, 01:54 AM   #1
Power Member

Jan 2007
GROVEPORT ,OHIO
Talking First Fox piles it on - now Disney going to pile it on...!

"We've been involved with Blu-ray Disc from the very beginning," said Stephen Foulser, vice president of marketing and business development for Disney in the EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) region. "We will be launching 30 new titles in the format."

More than 300 movie titles are currently available in the Blu-ray Disc format, a number that studios plan to nearly double by the end of the year, according to David Walstra, vice chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association. Eight manufacturers of consumer electronic products are now on board, he said.

The number of studios supplying content and manufacturers building players are key to the take-up of any new disc format, according to Danny Kay, executive vice president of research and development at 20th Century Fox. Based on the numbers of both of these groups, "the market for Blu-ray Disc is very compelling" he said. "We believe Blu-ray Disc is really the only way to go."

Kay declined to comment on the decision of Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation to throw their support behind rival HD DVD, saying only that both studios had access to the same market data as Fox and the other studios.

On the device front, Acer will join Dell Inc., Hewlett-Packard Co. and Lenovo Group Ltd. as contributing members to the Blu-ray Disc Association, said Walstra, a Sony executive who is also deputy chairman of the association.

Huala, a major manufacturer of consumer electronic products in China and supplier of content, has also agreed to become a contributing member, according to Walstra. In addition, the company will team with the China Film Group to establish a Blu-ray Disc authoring center in China, he said.

None of the industry executives associated with the Blu-ray Disc Association were prepared to answer a question on whether the expansion into China could lead to greater concerns about software piracy

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...y/article.html
Old 08-31-2007, 02:02 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
CT, US

woah, 30?!?! bring it on Disney! details please!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:05 AM   #3
Expert Member

Aug 2007
Texas
Send a message via AIM to Mericalis Send a message via Yahoo to Mericalis

Somewhere in the background, I am hearing Jiminy Cricket singing "When you wish upon a star"...guess you sometimes do wish on one and get something good out of it.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:11 AM   #4
Power Member

Jan 2007
GROVEPORT ,OHIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mericalis View Post
Somewhere in the background, I am hearing Jiminy Cricket singing "When you wish upon a star"...guess you sometimes do wish on one and get something good out of it.
when the BDA said they have something big planned for IFA they were not kidding...
Old 08-31-2007, 02:13 AM   #5
Power Member

Dec 2006
Ontario, Canada
Send a message via MSN to jorg

so another 300 movies by december 30th?!??????????!!!!!!!!!! like seripusly if that happens even if there as half assed as universal we will win for sure
Panasonic Plasma Panasonic TH-50PZ800U
Panasonic LCD TC-32LX85
Sony bravia KDL-46S5100
Bell 6131 HD receiver
80 gig PS3-Jailbroken
3ŪDŪlCH
PSN: reiche3
Old 08-31-2007, 02:16 AM   #6

Mar 2007

Awesome...bring it on Disney...bring it on...
Old 08-31-2007, 02:16 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Welcome aboard to the winning team! Can't wait the full release schedule for Disney!
My most anticipated release of 2018:

Zatoichi: Darkness Is His Ally Blu-ray
Old 08-31-2007, 02:17 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
::1

Wait. . . I was reading on AVS that Disney doesn't matter; that they make content for 9 year olds. Are you guys saying that isn't correct?

Help!
-Chris
Old 08-31-2007, 02:25 AM   #9
Power Member

Jan 2007
GROVEPORT ,OHIO

and yes he did mean by the end of 2008..
Old 08-31-2007, 02:25 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAB View Post
Wait. . . I was reading on AVS that Disney doesn't matter; that they make content for 9 year olds. Are you guys saying that isn't correct?

Help!
I've noticed that whenever someone says Disney doesn't matter and they're not interested in "kids" movies, they either have forgotten or do not know that Disney owns Miramax (home to most of Quentin Tarantino's movies), Touchstone (some great sellers like Splash and Pretty Woman), ABC television (with ratings winners like Alias, Desperate Housewives and Lost). And lastly, they also distribute all of Pixar's movies!!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:30 AM   #11
Power Member

Jan 2007
GROVEPORT ,OHIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotpattern View Post
I've noticed that whenever someone says Disney doesn't matter and they're not interested in "kids" movies, they either have forgotten or do not know that Disney owns Miramax (home to most of Quentin Tarantino's movies), Touchstone (some great sellers like Splash and Pretty Woman), ABC television (with ratings winners like Alias, Desperate Housewives and Lost). And lastly, they also distribute all of Pixar's movies!!
Disney is What i think will win people over to blu-ray faster than what the HD DVD backers would not like to happen when Disney has steadfast remained on the BDA board of directors. that was in my OPINION the end of HD DVD, without Disney HD DVD cannot win.survive yes ..win no

Old 08-31-2007, 02:33 AM   #12

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotpattern View Post
^^^ exactly ^^^

Was just thinking the very same things..

Some of the TouchStone and Miramax Pictures films I'm clamouring for right now in HD, things like Signs, The Sixth Sense, Tombstone, The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, Armageddon.. christ the list goes on and on.

Lol.. whats the betting it's all the straight to DVD sequels to the Lion King etc and Mission to Mars..
Old 08-31-2007, 02:34 AM   #13
Expert Member

Aug 2007
Texas
Send a message via AIM to Mericalis Send a message via Yahoo to Mericalis

We have to remember, kids are the driving force that prods parents to buying certain things. How do I know this? I have a certain part of my family who caters to their children's every whim. So, yeah, they do put out "KIDS" movies...I'm actually glad of that, because they are enticing the next generation of people to join BLU.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:40 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackos View Post
^^^ exactly ^^^

Was just thinking the very same things..

Some of the TouchStone and Miramax Pictures films I'm clamouring for right now in HD, things like Signs, The Sixth Sense, Tombstone, The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, Armageddon.. christ the list goes on and on.

Lol.. whats the betting it's all the straight to DVD sequels to the Lion King etc and Mission to Mars..
I can't believe I forgot to include Buena Vista - yes Disney owns their titles too. And as soon as Shaymalans (sp?) movies hit Blu, I'm buying them!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:44 AM   #15
Expert Member

Aug 2007
watsonville,cali
Send a message via AIM to evo_dadi Send a message via Yahoo to evo_dadi

aww great!! time to start making room for more blu-ray movies
Old 08-31-2007, 02:44 AM   #16

Aug 2007
Midwest

Don't get me wrong here I love the news but... it's just that.... I hear my wallet and credit cards crying already. I may need to get a second job at this rate
Toshiba 32HL67U
SON PS3 60GB
BD MOVIES-45
PS3 GAMES-6
Old 08-31-2007, 02:51 AM   #17
Power Member

Jul 2007
I'm not drunk, I'm just tired cause I been up all night drinking.

Excellent contribution Joeorc.
Thanks bro.
Put the blu-ray in the f@*{'n basket. I'll hurt your poodle mister.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:54 AM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mericalis View Post
Actually, I hear Jiminy Cricket singing:

I'm no fool no sirree I'm gonna live to be a 103 cause I'm no fool... I'm no fool no sirree I bought a PS3 cause I'm no fool...
Old 08-31-2007, 03:01 AM   #19

Jun 2007
Miami Florida "305"
Send a message via MSN to PaulDubya Send a message via Yahoo to PaulDubya
Cool

Hd-dvd wish they had a star to wish on. So they got paramount with 150mil. But its still not the same sukas we got Disney and there isnt anything you can do about it.
"Paramount will burn! This is BluRay!" - King Leonidus- (Speaking to Hd-DVD & Paramount Executives) "300"

56inch 1080p Samsung DLP &
42inch Samsung 1080p LCD
Samsung BDP1400 &
Samsung BDP 1200
140 Blu-ray strong!:cool:
Old 08-31-2007, 03:10 AM   #20
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeorc View Post
"We will be launching 30 new titles in the format."[/COLOR][/B]
So does this mean Disney will be releasing around 30 movies soon? Like by the end of 2007?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America