Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Lucifer: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$25.15

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$4.99

The Meg (Blu-ray)
$24.99
13 hrs ago
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

The Hitman's Bodyguard (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Barry Lyndon (Blu-ray)
$18.96

The Predator (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 hrs ago
Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Sacrifice! (Blu-ray)
$6.90

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Which version of Star Wars Blu-ray will you be purchasing (or not)?
The Complete Star Wars Saga 1,335 72.48%
The Prequel Box Set 20 1.09%
The Original Trilogy Box Set 110 5.97%
Not Purchasing Star Wars Blu-ray 377 20.47%
Voters: 1842. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #65721
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Los Angeles

Just watched RETURN OF THE JEDI as part of my most recent Saga viewing, and enjoyed the heck out of it. Funny how this installment can either be a trainwreck, for me, or incredibly fun. Right now, I'm kind of in an "all STAR WARS is good STAR WARS" frame of mind, so that helped... but it's also interesting that this is the first time I've seen it since SOLO (which I enjoyed but found forgettable) and LAST JEDI (which was my favorite STAR WARS since EMPIRE). I thought both recent flicks informed nicely on RETURN OF THE JEDI, from Han 'n' Lando interactions, to all the Luke 'n' Leia "you have that power too" stuff. I also, quite frankly, loved knowing where Luke was going from here; I thought it made his journey even deeper.

Also, it's my first time through the Saga since upgrading from an OPPO BDP-83 to the OPPO UDP-203. While the original trilogy on Blu-ray will always be vexed by spotty quality control and frozen grain, I found the up-tic in detail and sound quality to be stunning. Surprised at how much better it looked.

Really felt like a kid again, watching this movie today for the millionth time, and can't wait to watch FORCE AWAKENS next. Reveling in this Golden Age of STAR WARS we're living through!
Thanks given by:
Hardback247 (08-08-2018), HD Goofnut (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #65722

Jan 2012

I have always loved Return Of The Jedi. Never had a problem with the Ewoks. I have also come to enjoy the Prequels a lot more recently. Loved TFA, Rogue One and Solo but am a bit iffy on The Last Jedi.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:12 PM   #65723
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_campbells_chin View Post
I have always loved Return Of The Jedi. Never had a problem with the Ewoks. I have also come to enjoy the Prequels a lot more recently. Loved TFA, Rogue One and Solo but am a bit iffy on The Last Jedi.
Return of the Jedi was my favorite as a kid because of the fight between Vader and Luke. Itís hard to choose which one I enjoy the most these days. I usually watch them back to back to back when I get the Star Wars itch.
Thanks given by:
octagon (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 02:23 AM   #65724
Power Member

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan34 View Post
Return of the Jedi was my favorite as a kid because of the fight between Vader and Luke. Itís hard to choose which one I enjoy the most these days. I usually watch them back to back to back when I get the Star Wars itch.
The Luke-Vader stuff from ROTJ is actually the one part that holds up well enough to be solid, IMO.
Thanks given by:
octagon (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 02:27 AM   #65725
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
The Luke-Vader stuff from ROTJ is actually the one part that holds up well enough to be solid, IMO.
It's my favorite part of the entire Star Wars saga outside of the Battle of Hoth and the asteroid field.
Home Theater
Complete Motion Picture Collection
Top 100 Favorite Films
Top 25 UHDs
"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
Old 08-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #65726

Nov 2007

Quote:

Age hasn't been kind to the special effects in the prequels but it has been kind to them in regards to the story they tell. I've always enjoyed them but I found myself enjoying them even more on a marathon rewatch before The Last Jedi hit theaters. I think the stuff I want out of these stories evolved over time. As a whole that trilogy tells a great back story that also benefits from the thrill of discovery (the first time we see R2D2 and C-3PO, the first time we see Obi-Wan, the moment Anakin walked away from his mother while we, the audience, knows what the future holds for him).

I think the hate for those movies has diminished in recent years. I see a lot less vitriol and a lot more folks saying that they really enjoy those movies.
Thanks given by:
Alan_Grant (08-10-2018), DanReed (08-09-2018), RancorKeeper (08-10-2018), Riddell (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #65727
Power Member

Mar 2014
Glasgow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
... a lot more folks saying that they really enjoy those movies.
"Watching a movie on TV is like being kissed over the telephone." - Nic Meyer
Thanks given by:
hanshotfirst1138 (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 01:11 AM   #65728

Aug 2013

Quote:
Age hasn't been kind to the special effects in the prequels but it has been kind to them in regards to the story they tell. I've always enjoyed them but I found myself enjoying them even more on a marathon rewatch before The Last Jedi hit theaters. I think the stuff I want out of these stories evolved over time. As a whole that trilogy tells a great back story that also benefits from the thrill of discovery (the first time we see R2D2 and C-3PO, the first time we see Obi-Wan, the moment Anakin walked away from his mother while we, the audience, knows what the future holds for him).

I think the hate for those movies has diminished in recent years. I see a lot less vitriol and a lot more folks saying that they really enjoy those movies.
I follow some Star Wars blogs on tumblr (I know, right?) that have helped deepened my appreciation for the prequels and made my love for Rogue One even more passionate. A lot of folks will do little screengrab edits, where they compare scenes and point out parallels in all the movies (including the new stuff) and it helps make the rougher spots of the prequels go down a little easier.

I do think some of the prequel hate is dying down, though it seems to be shifting towards the new movies instead. I wish we could say we didn't like Rose Tico as a character, without people attacking Kelly Marie Tran on social media like they do.

But I do think you're starting to see more fans that are embracing all the movies and the two modern animated shows as one big, happy (dysfunctional) family and are easing up on the hate.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:38 AM   #65729
Special Member

Jun 2016

STAR WARS, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and RETURN OF THE JEDI. Original theatrical versions only.
Thanks given by:
bobbyh64 (08-10-2018), GrouchoFan (08-10-2018), hanshotfirst1138 (08-10-2018), L.P. Hovercraft (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 02:42 AM   #65730
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2011
Asheboro, NC
Send a message via Skype™ to Gold Ranger

the only people that were "attacking" Tan were actual Chinese. There is a huge "thing" with them and a certain race and the way she was depicted on screen made them lash out at her. Granted, it shouldn't have been her they were aiming their criticisms at, but the writers, director and casting director.
Looking to purchase the following:
- Game of Thrones: Season 1: HBO Shop Bonus Disk
- Ghost in the Shell: Target Bonus Disk
- 4k/UHD - Spider-Man 1, TMNT: OotS, Dracula Untold, Captain Underpants, Split, Rough Night
DIGITAL CODE SELLING POST (Updated: November 9th, 2017): http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=99736
Old 08-10-2018, 02:43 AM   #65731
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2011
Asheboro, NC
Send a message via Skype™ to Gold Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyjoe766 View Post
STAR WARS, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and RETURN OF THE JEDI. Original theatrical versions only.
yawn
Looking to purchase the following:
- Game of Thrones: Season 1: HBO Shop Bonus Disk
- Ghost in the Shell: Target Bonus Disk
- 4k/UHD - Spider-Man 1, TMNT: OotS, Dracula Untold, Captain Underpants, Split, Rough Night
DIGITAL CODE SELLING POST (Updated: November 9th, 2017): http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=99736
Old 08-10-2018, 02:49 AM   #65732
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Age hasn't been kind to the special effects in the prequels but it has been kind to them in regards to the story they tell.
Thanks given by:
Caseyscott (08-10-2018), DarthJaeger (08-10-2018), DR Herbert West (08-10-2018), hanshotfirst1138 (08-10-2018), HD Goofnut (08-10-2018), Joshitaka (08-10-2018), Petey Parker (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 04:45 AM   #65733
Special Member

May 2008

Quote:
Same. I never even knew so many people had a problem with them until the internet became huge.
"All I want is an honest week's pay for an honest day's work."

Steve Martin
Old 08-10-2018, 05:09 AM   #65734
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2017
Cow Country

As a kid I always liked ROTJ the best, probably because the five year old girl who loved bears is naturally going to like the movie where they save the day. Not to mention it being the movie where Leia had the most action; there weren't a lot of movies back then with strong female characters that I could watch at that age (and I didn't care about the outfit or the sex slave stuff- I wouldn't have even realized what was going on).

It's still a favorite today, I'd say Empire beats it but it's definitely up there. I definitely don't appreciate how it was "altered" but it's watchable. I do like having the mute button handy near the end, though. (I will say though Oola's actress aged pretty nicely to be able to reprise her role.)
"A tap-dancing chicken act? Gonzo, I've never heard of anything as ridiculous as a dancing chicken."

"How about a talking frog?"

Do they serve frog's legs in Kokomo?
Old 08-10-2018, 05:24 AM   #65735
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Los Angeles

I don't mind most of ROTJ's alterations, like blinking Ewoks and roaming herds of Bantha... but Vader's "noooo" at the end is the most obvious "screw you" from creator to fans that I've ever seen. So idiotic. And the Jedi Rocks sequence is literally unwatchable, to me. And I mean "literally" literally. As in: I don't watch it. Whenever I watch ROTJ, I press the "next chapter" button as soon as Jabba says "play that tune again", and WHOOSH, the party is interrupted by Boush bringing in Chewbacca. Works great. (I similarly skip over the first Vader scene in ROGUE ONE and absolutely plan to skip the
[Show spoiler]DARTH MAUL nonsense
when I own SOLO.)
Thanks given by:
crissrudd4554 (08-10-2018), welcometothepartypal (08-11-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:26 AM   #65736
Special Member

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_breeze View Post
I don't mind most of ROTJ's alterations, like blinking Ewoks and roaming herds of Bantha... but Vader's "noooo" at the end is the most obvious "screw you" from creator to fans that I've ever seen. So idiotic. And the Jedi Rocks sequence is literally unwatchable, to me. And I mean "literally" literally. As in: I don't watch it. Whenever I watch ROTJ, I press the "next chapter" button as soon as Jabba says "play that tune again", and WHOOSH, the party is interrupted by Boush bringing in Chewbacca. Works great. (I similarly skip over the first Vader scene in ROGUE ONE and absolutely plan to skip the
when I own SOLO.)
Yep. This mostly^
Old 08-10-2018, 05:52 AM   #65737
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2017
Cow Country

Quote:
when I own SOLO.)
Regarding the spoiler:

[Show spoiler]I haven't even seen that movie and I don't understand why they needed to put that stuff in.
"A tap-dancing chicken act? Gonzo, I've never heard of anything as ridiculous as a dancing chicken."

"How about a talking frog?"

Do they serve frog's legs in Kokomo?
Old 08-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #65738
Power Member

Mar 2014
Glasgow

Quote:
when I own SOLO.)
I'm a fan and I'm fine with the "noooooo". I was fine without it too though.

Jedi Rocks makes me sad.
"Watching a movie on TV is like being kissed over the telephone." - Nic Meyer
Old 08-10-2018, 07:24 AM   #65739
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2016
Sutton Coldfield, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmasciola View Post
Same. I never even knew so many people had a problem with them until the internet became huge.
I remember the Ewoks being hated when Return of the Jedi first came out, as an 8 year old it didn't bother me. But I recall my older cousins moaning about it being a kids movie
Old 08-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #65740
Power Member

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyjoe766 View Post
If only. If only.
Thanks given by:
L.P. Hovercraft (08-10-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America