Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Blue Steel (Blu-ray)
$15.79
6 hrs ago
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$54.99
1 day ago
The Red Balloon and Other Stories: Five Films by Albert Lamorisse (Blu-ray)
$55.99
6 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
4 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
21 hrs ago
Sony Pictures Classics: 30th Anniversary Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$142.11
9 hrs ago
Herzog: The Collection, Vol. 2 (Blu-ray)
$45.99
1 day ago
Tenebrae 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.84
6 hrs ago
The Deer Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
Witness 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.68
6 hrs ago
The Equalizer 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.55
 
Battleship 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.99
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Insider Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
iceman iceman is offline
Developer
 
iceman's Avatar
 
May 2003
13
9
102
1
6
10
2
3
1
Default Ask questions to R&B Films, Ltd insider "RBFilms"

This thread is dedicated to asking questions of industry insider "RBFilms" (R&B Films, Ltd) who has graciously taken the time to participate here. RBFilms and all our insiders do this out of their free time and to try to keep us informed to their best abilities, and therefore are to be treated with respect and courtesy.

Before asking a question, please skim at least the last weeks worth of posts in order to make sure that the question hasn't already been asked or answered. Using the search function is also always a good idea. Please conduct your inquiries in a professional manner and avoid asking "chicken little" questions or asking when unannounced titles will come out.

RBFilms - R&B Films, Ltd - Track posts
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Mericalis Mericalis is offline
Expert Member
 
Mericalis's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Texas
232
6
5
Send a message via AIM to Mericalis Send a message via Yahoo to Mericalis
Default

Richard,

As a big fan of Nature's Journey and Chronos, I've been waiting on your studio's next hi-def project with much anticipation. Can you possibly give us an update on when we might expect something new?

M
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
JBlacklow JBlacklow is offline
Senior Member
 
JBlacklow's Avatar
 
Dec 2006
Default

In light of your enthusiasm for Blu-ray and Warner's decision, will you be Blu-ray exclusive?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
HDJK HDJK is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
HDJK's Avatar
 
Oct 2006
Switzerland
2
Default

Richard,

You once mentioned a test disc with all kinds of clips that allow comparing between codecs and test patterns (on 'that other forum' ).

Is something like this in the works?

Thank you very much.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
Icemage Icemage is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jul 2007
Default

Richard,

You've commented in the past that you were inclined to settle on one format. Do circumstances now make that decision easier, or do you feel that there is still some money to be made in being neutral? I can certainly see a case for staying neutral, as it does reach the widest audience for the time being, but as I recall, one of the key points you've talked about at length in the past is that your company invests strategically and expects returns over time from continuing residual sales and other sources of revenue.

Given the recent shift from Time Warner (Warner Brothers Home Video, HBO, New Line Cinema) to Blu-ray exclusivity, and the subsequent announcement from two German distributors of Blu-ray exclusivity, has any of this changed your outlook regarding the current (and presumed) neutrality of R&B Films?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:16 AM   #6
PaulGo PaulGo is offline
Power Member
 
PaulGo's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD
Default

Any new info on the demo you were arranging in Virginia / Maryland?

Also, how is it coming with the response to Amir on AVS. I really hoped once he retired he would slow down with his BS, but all the new free time has made him even worse (if that's possible ). The scary thing is he actually believes what he is saying!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
RBFilms RBFilms is offline
Blu-ray Insider
 
RBFilms's Avatar
 
Jan 2007
Default

Thank you.

Our consulting and agency business has expanded a great deal and it is keeping us busy. In order to keep things moving, I am looking to bring is some voluteers and paid help to keep things moving.

If all goes well and I get the help I need....we expect to have something new by Summer of 2008. However, it could easily slip to fall. The good news is that we will probably release a greater number of titles this year.

Regarding our special "Reference Project" ... we are trying our best to get that done as well ... but it is a very time consuming and costly project. I am hoping to have that completed for 3rd / 4th Quarter of this year.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mericalis View Post
Richard,

As a big fan of Nature's Journey and Chronos, I've been waiting on your studio's next hi-def project with much anticipation. Can you possibly give us an update on when we might expect something new?

M
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
RBFilms RBFilms is offline
Blu-ray Insider
 
RBFilms's Avatar
 
Jan 2007
Default

Yes, but I made that decision before Warner made any announcement. By decision was based on my experience with the HD-DVD audience and the abuse I took in the AVS Forum. It is obvious they do not appreciate our efforts to raise the bar ... and in all honesty, they were not very nice about it .... so we are excluding HD-DVD with respect to our future releases.



Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlacklow View Post
In light of your enthusiasm for Blu-ray and Warner's decision, will you be Blu-ray exclusive?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
RBFilms RBFilms is offline
Blu-ray Insider
 
RBFilms's Avatar
 
Jan 2007
Default

Oh yes...I can assure you that project is a pet project of mine. I am doing this in an effort to lay to rest any claims made by any parties.

We are trying to get "Critics" involved so people will not dispute our methods. However, we only have one potential "Critic" for the Audio side right now. It seems that th VC-1 Encoder folks do not wish to participate.

Of course, people will still argue no matter what we do. However, I am a firm believer n the tuth winning out in th end.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJK View Post
Richard,

You once mentioned a test disc with all kinds of clips that allow comparing between codecs and test patterns (on 'that other forum' ).

Is something like this in the works?

Thank you very much.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #10
RBFilms RBFilms is offline
Blu-ray Insider
 
RBFilms's Avatar
 
Jan 2007
Default

Yes, it is an easier choice now. However, we made that choice before any of this happened. We did not announce it as we do ot lay any significant role in the format wars. Announcing it would only fuel some AVS Forum member to give us grief claiming we have some delusional thoughts about actually making a difference ... even though I have been very clear we do not.

See my previous response for more details regarding our decision. I am primarily thinking we should stay away from HD-DVD due to the fact that the audience does support our efforts to raise the bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemage View Post
Richard,

You've commented in the past that you were inclined to settle on one format. Do circumstances now make that decision easier, or do you feel that there is still some money to be made in being neutral? I can certainly see a case for staying neutral, as it does reach the widest audience for the time being, but as I recall, one of the key points you've talked about at length in the past is that your company invests strategically and expects returns over time from continuing residual sales and other sources of revenue.

Given the recent shift from Time Warner (Warner Brothers Home Video, HBO, New Line Cinema) to Blu-ray exclusivity, and the subsequent announcement from two German distributors of Blu-ray exclusivity, has any of this changed your outlook regarding the current (and presumed) neutrality of R&B Films?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
RBFilms RBFilms is offline
Blu-ray Insider
 
RBFilms's Avatar
 
Jan 2007
Default

We are working on it. We are a small business and this month I have several projects in the works for major clients. I am still looking to do this for February ... however, we are slammed and busier than usual for 1st quarter. I am not complaining ... we could use the work and it will help us fund some of our other projects moving forward. Certainly the label does not make enough money to fund itself. The label is a labor of love for us.

Also, I will be at Sundance for most of the festival this month...and I can't get much done while I am there.

Regarding Amir, I assume you mean the 96/24 debate. Yes, we have a reply coming. He measured a section of the DVD that uses an electronic instrument which with a 24K "Decimation" or "Brick Wall" filter ... a cheap shot at trying to make us look bad.

I wonder why he did not measure CHRONOS or ant of the 96/24 PCM Stereo projects we did for Monster Music? I tell you why....because he would not get the results he was looking for to serve his own personal agenda.

Amir is trying to mount a campaign to make us look bad so nobody will buy in to our comparison tests. I am already working on a way to counter that anticipated obstacle. He is only proving that he is not to be relied upon for anything having to do with anything not related to serving his personal goals and specific agenda.

I am compiling tests and opinions from at least a half dozen engineers do we can respond and end that debate. However, I expect he will wish to continue. I am pretty close to ignoring the guy and exposing the truth in other ways....by showing not telling. Patience and Honesty will pay of for us in the long run..


Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
Any new info on the demo you were arranging in Virginia / Maryland?

Also, how is it coming with the response to Amir on AVS. I really hoped once he retired he would slow down with his BS, but all the new free time has made him even worse (if that's possible ). The scary thing is he actually believes what he is saying!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #12
Icemage Icemage is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jul 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post
Yes, but I made that decision before Warner made any announcement. By decision was based on my experience with the HD-DVD audience and the abuse I took in the AVS Forum. It is obvious they do not appreciate our efforts to raise the bar ... and in all honesty, they were not very nice about it .... so we are excluding HD-DVD with respect to our future releases.
I recall those exchanges over on AVS. It was appalling to see just how disrespectful people were with their "if you're not with me then you're against me rhetoric", even while you were delivering the best possible encodes. I apologize that we (the Blu-ray supporters on AVS) weren't able to give you more support over there, but as you may have noticed, we've been just a wee bit outnumbered on that forum up until recently.

As always, thank you for your time and dedication, Richard. I look forward to your upcoming releases; they will have a prominent place in my collection alongside my Blu-ray copies of Chronos and Nature's Journey.

Any hints on what your next release will be?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
nhaase nhaase is offline
Special Member
 
Mar 2007
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemage View Post
I recall those exchanges over on AVS. It was appalling to see just how disrespectful people were with their "if you're not with me then you're against me rhetoric", even while you were delivering the best possible encodes. I apologize that we (the Blu-ray supporters on AVS) weren't able to give you more support over there, but as you may have noticed, we've been just a wee bit outnumbered on that forum up until recently.

As always, thank you for your time and dedication, Richard. I look forward to your upcoming releases; they will have a prominent place in my collection alongside my Blu-ray copies of Chronos and Nature's Journey.

Any hints on what your next release will be?
I remember some of those exchanges as well, and as Icemage said, it was said to see the "verbal" abuse you took for giving hard proof of why Blu-ray would have the better encodes, while still telling them you were optimizing the HD DVD encodes. Glad to see people get what they deserve, and we know you will always do the best you can for the format.

I look very forward to your pet project of a disc w/ the different encodes. Let me ask, though, if you would please elaborate on this. Do you plan on taking clips of the same length and encoding them, making clip time the limiting factor, or will you make disc space the limiting factor to see how efficient each codec is?

Thank you for your time and efforts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #14
sj001 sj001 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
sj001's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Rochester, NY
317
17
5
Default

Richard,

Welcome, and a big thank you for the efforts you have put forth in pushing the envelope. I'm sorry to hear how the folks at AVS have treated it, it is beyond ridiculous, and they are impossible to reason with. Just know that we here appreciate your work and look forward to more of it in the future!

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
edgebsl edgebsl is offline
Active Member
 
Sep 2007
3
Default

Richard what cameras were used on Chronos and Nature's Journey? And also what are you using now?

Did you accuire a Red? And if not, did you get a chance to demo one or checkout the clips on their site? Would that be your camera of choice for content on hdm aside from the mega expensive rigs ?(F900,genesis etc)

Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #16
PaulGo PaulGo is offline
Power Member
 
PaulGo's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD
Default

I am sure you know that Amir is an avid reader of this forum.. I guess when he just gets fed up with his BS he needs to come here to read the truth. The problem is he can't handle the truth and loves his followers to kiss up to him. I agree with you you can't win with him and it is probably best to ignore him. Although occasionally I just can't resist answering him just to challenge his BS. He has accused me of having an evil twin that writes here. He also claims to be writing a book. I hope he publishes it as fiction otherwise he will be in for a lot of lawsuits for publishing fiction as fact.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post
We are working on it. We are a small business and this month I have several projects in the works for major clients. I am still looking to do this for February ... however, we are slammed and busier than usual for 1st quarter. I am not complaining ... we could use the work and it will help us fund some of our other projects moving forward. Certainly the label does not make enough money to fund itself. The label is a labor of love for us.

Also, I will be at Sundance for most of the festival this month...and I can't get much done while I am there.

Regarding Amir, I assume you mean the 96/24 debate. Yes, we have a reply coming. He measured a section of the DVD that uses an electronic instrument which with a 24K "Decimation" or "Brick Wall" filter ... a cheap shot at trying to make us look bad.

I wonder why he did not measure CHRONOS or ant of the 96/24 PCM Stereo projects we did for Monster Music? I tell you why....because he would not get the results he was looking for to serve his own personal agenda.

Amir is trying to mount a campaign to make us look bad so nobody will buy in to our comparison tests. I am already working on a way to counter that anticipated obstacle. He is only proving that he is not to be relied upon for anything having to do with anything not related to serving his personal goals and specific agenda.

I am compiling tests and opinions from at least a half dozen engineers do we can respond and end that debate. However, I expect he will wish to continue. I am pretty close to ignoring the guy and exposing the truth in other ways....by showing not telling. Patience and Honesty will pay of for us in the long run..
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #17
Penton-Man Penton-Man is offline
Retired Hollywood Insider
 
Penton-Man's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post
Also, I will be at Sundance for most of the festival this month...
Rich, if you missed the preview in L.A., make sure you don’t miss U23D (produced by 3ality Digital Entertainment)……which is the band U2 filmed in 3D at concert venues in South America and Mexico.

For the Buenos Aires shoot, the crew used 18 Sony F950 HD cams for the nine TS-1 stereo rigs !

Enjoy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #18
RBFilms RBFilms is offline
Blu-ray Insider
 
RBFilms's Avatar
 
Jan 2007
Default

No worries...I am from NY and go toe to toe with th best of them.. I have noticed a greater presence recently of BD Supporters over at AVS. It is nice to see ... especially now that I officially only support Blu-ray Disc...

I think we will be releasing some more "straight" nature content with multiple audio tracks. No super duper 96/24 audio...but really nice original high definition video content featuring 32mbps to 36mbps AVC Video Encodes and DTS Lossless Audio.

We keep getting approached to do women in High Def ... but it is not really our style....and besides, very few women ... or people for that mater ... look all that great in High Def.,..!!

I would also like to do something with motor sports or anything driven b y an engine ... planes, trains, and automobiles for example ... maybe some 4x4 Off Road action as well. I am an avid Toyota Land Cruiser enthusiast and my best female friend owns an awesome JEEP Rubicon tricked out with a winch and all....

Why, do you have any suggestions? We are always looking for content and ideas.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemage View Post
I recall those exchanges over on AVS. It was appalling to see just how disrespectful people were with their "if you're not with me then you're against me rhetoric", even while you were delivering the best possible encodes. I apologize that we (the Blu-ray supporters on AVS) weren't able to give you more support over there, but as you may have noticed, we've been just a wee bit outnumbered on that forum up until recently.

As always, thank you for your time and dedication, Richard. I look forward to your upcoming releases; they will have a prominent place in my collection alongside my Blu-ray copies of Chronos and Nature's Journey.

Any hints on what your next release will be?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #19
RBFilms RBFilms is offline
Blu-ray Insider
 
RBFilms's Avatar
 
Jan 2007
Default

Yes, and I repeated my comments in greater detail over at AVS right after I made that post. Here is th link for what it may be worth.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post12875030

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
I am sure you know that Amir is an avid reader of this forum.. I guess when he just gets fed up with his BS he needs to come here to read the truth. The problem is he can't handle the truth and loves his followers to kiss up to him. I agree with you you can't win with him and it is probably best to ignore him. Although occasionally I just can't resist answering him just to challenge his BS. He has accused me of having an evil twin that writes here. He also claims to be writing a book. I hope he publishes it as fiction otherwise he will be in for a lot of lawsuits for publishing fiction as fact.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #20
Icemage Icemage is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jul 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post
No worries...I am from NY and go toe to toe with th best of them.. I have noticed a greater presence recently of BD Supporters over at AVS. It is nice to see ... especially now that I officially only support Blu-ray Disc...
And glad we are to hear it.

It's not so much that there are explicitly more pro-Blu-ray supporters at AVS - a lot of the membership here migrated permanently last year. But with recent events making the outcome clear, the more level-headed amongst the formerly neutral and even some of the logical die-hard HD DVD fans have added their voices and finally brought some balance back to those forums.

Quote:
I think we will be releasing some more "straight" nature content with multiple audio tracks. No super duper 96/24 audio...but really nice original high definition video content featuring 32mbps to 36mbps AVC Video Encodes and DTS Lossless Audio.

We keep getting approached to do women in High Def ... but it is not really our style....and besides, very few women ... or people for that mater ... look all that great in High Def.,..!!

I would also like to do something with motor sports or anything driven b y an engine ... planes, trains, and automobiles for example ... maybe some 4x4 Off Road action as well. I am an avid Toyota Land Cruiser enthusiast and my best female friend owns an awesome JEEP Rubicon tricked out with a winch and all....

Why, do you have any suggestions? We are always looking for content and ideas.
If we're talking about great looking visuals plus speed, what I think would look really spectacular (and be an AMAZING workout for high-def encoding) would be something like a rollercoaster documentary. I don't know if you have access to anything of that sort, but it would certainly be fun to see. You'd be hard pressed to find visual content more challenging than that, with ultra-fast panning of all sorts of scenery (and assuming one could find the way to mix and record the audio, some impressive audio surround effects).

I'm a bit biased though, as I live in Florida, land of theme parks - and am a lifelong coaster fanatic.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Insider Discussion

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Ask questions to Sigma Designs insider "kjack" Insider Discussion iceman 587 08-18-2017 01:55 PM
"Club Penton" - Ask questions to Hollywood insider "Penton-Man" Insider Discussion iceman 19563 04-15-2012 03:19 PM
Ask questions to Blu-ray Music insider "Alexander J" Insider Discussion iceman 280 07-04-2011 06:18 PM
Ask questions to Sony Pictures Entertainment insider "paidgeek" Insider Discussion iceman 958 04-06-2008 05:48 PM
Ask questions to Sony Computer Entertainment insider "SCE Insider" Insider Discussion Ben 13 01-21-2008 09:45 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:42 PM.