Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Sony Pictures Classics: 30th Anniversary Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$142.11
1 day ago
The Red Balloon and Other Stories: Five Films by Albert Lamorisse (Blu-ray)
$55.99
21 hrs ago
Blue Steel (Blu-ray)
$15.79
22 hrs ago
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$54.99
 
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$6.00
7 hrs ago
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio (Blu-ray)
$27.99
4 hrs ago
The Equalizer 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.55
 
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
20 hrs ago
Witness 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.68
22 hrs ago
Battleship 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.99
19 hrs ago
Caged! (Blu-ray)
$14.00
1 day ago
Tenebrae 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.84
22 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 05:18 AM   #201
RSL Yamaha RSL Yamaha is offline
Junior Member
 
Jan 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesu View Post

By the way, if anyone is going to pick up this woofer for 399.99 as it is right now, tell them to charge you 330.38 +79.99, might as well get the 9 year warranty for around the retail price. Thats what the stooge offered me as I was asking about it today.
I assume the 399.99 is Canadian Dollars??? I paid $450 Dollars from mine here in the USA.. BV model..

Robert, In San Diego, Ca.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #202
namtab69 namtab69 is offline
Member
 
namtab69's Avatar
 
May 2009
Toronto, Canada
100
1
Default

finally heard the pop but thats after overdriving it quite a bit...still annoying as hell...my hunt begins for the BV model...my problem FS gives u 30 days for exchange...and i bought mine on boxing day...so its cutting pretty close...

alton...did u find hte BV model yet?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #203
alton_1014 alton_1014 is offline
Active Member
 
Dec 2008
Toronto, Ontario
11
85
449
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by namtab69 View Post
finally heard the pop but thats after overdriving it quite a bit...still annoying as hell...my hunt begins for the BV model...my problem FS gives u 30 days for exchange...and i bought mine on boxing day...so its cutting pretty close...

alton...did u find hte BV model yet?
No I havent and its really pushing it to day 30 day exchange/refund day. I think I only have a day or two remaining... And lately I've been adjusting the sub, so no popping noise in a while. What I'll mostly likely do if it occurs again is contact Velodyne and get a replacement amp.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #204
Caesu Caesu is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2010
532
16
Default

I havnt posted on this thread since I returned my VDR 12 for another sub, however, I did see the price drop for them on FS today for 349.99, then saw a new review that may help some of you still,

VDR 12 BV, 1/22/2010
Reviewer: Pookundram, Montreal, Quebec
This subwoofer is amazing compared to my old subwoofer Paradigm PDR-10. Worth the money However, there is a problem with popping sound. I did google and found many people talk about it. Called Velodyne Tech support and they accepted the problem to be with subwoofers manufactured in Oct 2009. To find subwoofers made in Jul 2009 which works perfect, you have to look at the serial number outside the box. If the three numbers following first two number 69 of the serial number is between 182 and 211 then it is a subwoofer made in July 2009. I was lucky to find one today. Hope this helps

The B version is a recognized faulted model, no matter how you try to butter it up, Velodyne is purported to admit that the sub model is in fact defective. I wouldnt keep it if I were you personally, even for 299.99.

However, if you can, look for the serial number as suggested, it may eb your saving grace.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #205
RSL Yamaha RSL Yamaha is offline
Junior Member
 
Jan 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesu View Post
I havnt posted on this thread since I returned my VDR 12 for another sub, however, I did see the price drop for them on FS today for 349.99, then saw a new review that may help some of you still,

VDR 12 BV, 1/22/2010
Reviewer: Pookundram, Montreal, Quebec
This subwoofer is amazing compared to my old subwoofer Paradigm PDR-10. Worth the money However, there is a problem with popping sound. I did google and found many people talk about it. Called Velodyne Tech support and they accepted the problem to be with subwoofers manufactured in Oct 2009. To find subwoofers made in Jul 2009 which works perfect, you have to look at the serial number outside the box. If the three numbers following first two number 69 of the serial number is between 182 and 211 then it is a subwoofer made in July 2009. I was lucky to find one today. Hope this helps

The B version is a recognized faulted model, no matter how you try to butter it up, Velodyne is purported to admit that the sub model is in fact defective. I wouldnt keep it if I were you personally, even for 299.99.

However, if you can, look for the serial number as suggested, it may eb your saving grace.
Thanks for the update. Mine was made in July, is a BV version and after 3 weeks of a lot of use no issues to report, just GREAT SOUND!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #206
tonikins tonikins is offline
Member
 
tonikins's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
Toronto, Ontario
14
Default

Do you still have the BV model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
Thanks for all the info regarding the BV and non-BV models. I found this forum doing a google search in order to find some more info on the VDR12, so I decided to register in order to help a forum member out.

Due to a problem on Future Shop's side, I just received my boxing week order of the VDR12 yesterday.

But after reading all this issues with the non-BV model vs the BV model, this weekend I decided to tour around my local FS until i found a BV. I assumed that i'd return the non-BV when i finally got it delivered by FS online.

Anyway....when I got my VDR12 last night, it turned out to be a BV model.

It's brand new and never taken out of the box. It'll be going back next week, but if someone is interested, let me know. Saves from trying to find one of the elusive BV models yourself.

I don't want to ship it, so it would have to be picked up from my home in the Victoria Park and Eglington area of Toronto.

Thanks again for the information.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #207
alton_1014 alton_1014 is offline
Active Member
 
Dec 2008
Toronto, Ontario
11
85
449
1
Default

namtab69,

What did you decide to do with your sub?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 AM   #208
PrimeBane PrimeBane is offline
Senior Member
 
PrimeBane's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Town of Cows, Alberta, Canada
8
68
165
4
Default

I ran my B model through the paces tonight as some of the posts had me a bit spooked.

Only after cranking my Onkyo to 60 and turning up the volume on the sub 3 times, I heard one pop during a scene in Iron Man.

So while this model does have it's problem, try turning down the volume on sub. I found even at lower levels it was shaking the house (so much so I got the wife a little pissed at me ).

As of now, I'll be keeping mine baring a major popping session.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #209
Rsquad911 Rsquad911 is offline
Junior Member
 
Jan 2010
Toronto
40
Send a message via MSN to Rsquad911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL Yamaha View Post

Does a NON BV model say 120 Volts on the outside of the box??
Yup it does
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #210
Rsquad911 Rsquad911 is offline
Junior Member
 
Jan 2010
Toronto
40
Send a message via MSN to Rsquad911
Default

Wouldn't the pops mean that the amp is too powerful? That it's over driving the sub causing the speaker voice coil to rub/hit against the tube in which the voice coil travels?

What's the power rating of the BV model vs the non BV?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #211
namtab69 namtab69 is offline
Member
 
namtab69's Avatar
 
May 2009
Toronto, Canada
100
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton_1014 View Post
namtab69,

What did you decide to do with your sub?
too late man! its been over 30 days for me now...i guess i will be bugging velodyne now...hopefully they can do somehting...maybe we should all form a big petition and attach velodyne with it...they might then listen to us then...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #212
Caesu Caesu is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2010
532
16
Default

Namtab, I just looked at your galley. I see the FS picture with 4 VDR12's showing. 3 of them have the BV version, tape with blue lettering. 1 of them is clear for the popping B version.

You had a 75% chance to grab the better version of the two. You ended up in the 25% however.


This is based on the idea that blue lettering is a BV model, clear is not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:28 AM   #213
namtab69 namtab69 is offline
Member
 
namtab69's Avatar
 
May 2009
Toronto, Canada
100
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesu View Post
Namtab, I just looked at your galley. I see the FS picture with 4 VDR12's showing. 3 of them have the BV version, tape with blue lettering. 1 of them is clear for the popping B version.

You had a 75% chance to grab the better version of the two. You ended up in the 25% however.


This is based on the idea that blue lettering is a BV model, clear is not.
shitttttttt...i never realized that! nice spot though...but i looked at my box and its the one with the blue lettering on it....so i guess the clear tape is the BV model
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:51 AM   #214
ablu ablu is offline
Member
 
ablu's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
fayetteville, nc
236
Default Looking @ getting DEQ'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge1976 View Post
Does anyone happen to have a DEQ series sub? Just wondering how you like it if you do. I have the DEQ-15R and I think it's great but I havent seen anyone else talk about the DEQ series.
I was looking into getting a new Velo, but I'm stuck on which one to get. I have a Velodyne DPS-12 (Class A/B-200 watt amp) and I want to pair up with another Velo (selling the Klipsch Sub-12). The DEQ-12 ($550) has a 225 watt Class D amp, but the DEQ-15 ($750) has a 750 watt Class D amp; thats a big difference! Do you think the 15" will be too unmatched with the DPS-12. Wanting to experience a significant sound upgrade with new subwoofer. I have to buy blind due to no high-end sound shops in my area and need some help on this.

On the other hand, kinda looking at the SVSound but thought the Velodyne would match up better.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:09 AM   #215
alton_1014 alton_1014 is offline
Active Member
 
Dec 2008
Toronto, Ontario
11
85
449
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by namtab69 View Post
shitttttttt...i never realized that! nice spot though...but i looked at my box and its the one with the blue lettering on it....so i guess the clear tape is the BV model
It seems the perception here is that the clear taped box is the "trouble model." My BV model box had the tape with blue lettering, and the sub has the heatsink attached at the back of the amp.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #216
sarge1976 sarge1976 is offline
Power Member
 
sarge1976's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
Shillington,PA
22
1038
6
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablu View Post
I was looking into getting a new Velo, but I'm stuck on which one to get. I have a Velodyne DPS-12 (Class A/B-200 watt amp) and I want to pair up with another Velo (selling the Klipsch Sub-12). The DEQ-12 ($550) has a 225 watt Class D amp, but the DEQ-15 ($750) has a 750 watt Class D amp; thats a big difference! Do you think the 15" will be too unmatched with the DPS-12. Wanting to experience a significant sound upgrade with new subwoofer. I have to buy blind due to no high-end sound shops in my area and need some help on this.

On the other hand, kinda looking at the SVSound but thought the Velodyne would match up better.
I think you should be okay in my opinion. I had to blind buy my DEQ-15R and I lucked out!, It pounds! I'm surprised more people don't really talk about the DEQ Series. Trust me, you will notice a significant sound upgrade with this sub
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #217
GAWD GAWD is offline
Special Member
 
GAWD's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Canada
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablu View Post
I was looking into getting a new Velo, but I'm stuck on which one to get. I have a Velodyne DPS-12 (Class A/B-200 watt amp) and I want to pair up with another Velo (selling the Klipsch Sub-12). The DEQ-12 ($550) has a 225 watt Class D amp, but the DEQ-15 ($750) has a 750 watt Class D amp; thats a big difference! Do you think the 15" will be too unmatched with the DPS-12. Wanting to experience a significant sound upgrade with new subwoofer. I have to buy blind due to no high-end sound shops in my area and need some help on this.

On the other hand, kinda looking at the SVSound but thought the Velodyne would match up better.

If I lived in NC I'd make your decision easier and take the DPS-12 off your hands. It was a blind buy for me and one of the best components in my HT setup. Musical and Powerful. Finding second one in my area has been impossible. Not one for sale in the past year that I've been looking.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:52 AM   #218
namtab69 namtab69 is offline
Member
 
namtab69's Avatar
 
May 2009
Toronto, Canada
100
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton_1014 View Post
It seems the perception here is that the clear taped box is the "trouble model." My BV model box had the tape with blue lettering, and the sub has the heatsink attached at the back of the amp.
hmmm...mine also had the blue tape...but had the regular model and NOT the BV...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #219
kaiserkreb kaiserkreb is offline
New Member
 
Feb 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by namtab69 View Post
hmmm...mine also had the blue tape...but had the regular model and NOT the BV...
Just for the record, if it matters to anyone, I was speaking with Curt, a Velodyne rep, on the avsforum official Velodyne sub thread, and he mentioned to me that all BV stands for is black vinyl, for the finish. He also mentioned that to his knowledge there is no significant difference between the two and that the BV is not a later upgrade/revision of the vdr12. He did mention though that if I wished to speak directly with people more in the know than he is, to phone their support at 408-465-2851 or contact service@velodyne.com. I just took his word for it, mine doesn't pop whatsoever. He did mention that he recommends using a splitter on the sub, turning your AVRs sub gain higher up, 3/4s of max or around there, and turning the gain down considerably on the sub. I run mine at +3.5 on the amp and 34 with the movies preset active on mine. It gets ridiculously loud and it's a fairly large open room also. I'm going to pick up another one as soon as FS online gets them back in stock. *crosses fingers*

Darren

PS: I can also confirm that my BV designated model had blue Velodyne QC letter on the packaging tape.

Last edited by kaiserkreb; 02-16-2010 at 05:55 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #220
Scooby Blu Scooby Blu is offline
Power Member
 
Scooby Blu's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
7
Talking Just found this thread

I have the Velodyne Optimum 12" I love it, does anyone else have this model of sub?
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
The Official SVS Subwoofer Owners Thread Subwoofers Jwilly019 18603 Today 02:05 AM
The Official Paradigm Subwoofer Owners Thread Subwoofers Big Daddy 297 11-30-2022 03:20 AM
The Official Klipsch Subwoofer Owners Thread Subwoofers Big Daddy 228 05-18-2022 01:37 AM
The Official AV123 Subwoofer Owners Thread Subwoofers Big Daddy 475 05-23-2014 10:29 AM
The Official JL Audio Subwoofer Owners Thread Subwoofers Brain Sturgeon 181 12-25-2013 12:47 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:37 AM.