Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$30.74

Fate/Stay Night: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.99
3 hrs ago
Dragon Ball Super: Part 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part One (Blu-ray)
$24.75

Cutie Honey Universe: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Patlabor the Mobile Police: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$48.99

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime: Season One Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$33.50
16 hrs ago
Parasyte: The Maxim - Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Digimon Adventure tri.: 6-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.68
6 hrs ago
Space Runaway Ideon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Mirai (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Black Lagoon: Complete Collection Season 1 and 2 + Roberta's Blood Trail OVA (Blu-ray)
$37.44

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime > Anime on TV and General Discussion

Old 01-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #41
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Space Dandy Meets Galaga

Quote:
A gameplay video for the mobile game Space Galaga, the recreation of the classic Galaga video game with elements from BONES' Space Dandy anime, began streaming on Friday.

Bandai Namco Games created the game that the character Meow dreams about in the anime. As in the anime, the player take on quests to capture rare aliens. The anime's Aloha Oe ship appears in the game, and players can enhance and customize their ships with their winnings. Players can also compete against each other. The bosses in the game are the giant aliens and ships from the anime.

The free-to-play game (with fees for some in-game items) will debut this year in Apple's App Store for iOS and Google Play for Android devices.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...gameplay-video
Old 01-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Cincinnati, OH

Watched episode 1 on Hulu Plus subtitled. So the whole series in one episode?

A very fun show, looking forward to more!
Old 01-10-2014, 11:00 PM   #43
Power Member

Mar 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevtronn View Post
Watched episode 1 on Hulu Plus subtitled. So the whole series in one episode?

A very fun show, looking forward to more!
I am interested in how they will explain the ending of the last episode; or maybe each episode will have a similar ending. Looking forward for the next episode.

By the way, thank you for being on topic.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
Washington State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellini912 View Post
I am interested in how they will explain the ending of the last episode; or maybe each episode will have a similar ending. Looking forward for the next episode.

By the way, thank you for being on topic.
oddly enough the Japanese version gives a possible explanation for it in the ending song of all things.

if you haven't seen the Japanese version, the ending song brings up the idea of
[Show spoiler]parallel worlds/other dimensions

anyway, cant wait for episode 2 this weekend.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:39 AM   #45

Jan 2013

I'd like to see them ignore the ending and maybe even turn it into a running gag in a sort of comedic take on the early Aeon Flux shorts.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:32 AM   #46
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Just finished the first episode and felt it was just very average. I guess expected more. I'll stick with it a little longer though.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #47
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Vinegar View Post
I'd like to see them ignore the ending and maybe even turn it into a running gag in a sort of comedic take on the early Aeon Flux shorts.
Something I'm hoping for myself. Sort of like why Kenny's always back the next episode.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #48

Oct 2009
Calgary, Canada

HM did not like at all. The show looks great but the plot well what little it had so far was just boring as crap. I was bored watching the thing maybe as more airs I'll care more about the cast and won't get bored as the plot I hope picks up.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #49
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Four of Adult Swim's Toonami block shows ranked #1 in their respective time slots for the adults 18-24 and men 18-24 and 18-34 demographics for the first week of 2014. The series premiere of Space Dandy on January 4 ranked #1 in the 11:30 p.m. slot among men 18-24 and 18-34. Bleach (12 a.m.), Naruto (12:30 a.m.), One Piece (1 a.m.), Soul Eater (1:30 a.m), and Sword Art Online (2 a.m.) also ranked #1 in their respective time slots among men 18-24.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...n-demographics
Old 01-12-2014, 02:24 AM   #50
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
East of Ale Asylum

and another craze for the creators of Bebop and Champloo has begun.... is this an unofficial trilogy at this point? lol

Boy...I didn't like Bebop's ending, and I hated Champloo till a complete viewing changed my opinion....but damn if this doesn't feel like a spiritual successor....
Old 01-12-2014, 04:47 AM   #51
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
and another craze for the creators of Bebop and Champloo has begun.... is this an unofficial trilogy at this point? lol

Boy...I didn't like Bebop's ending, and I hated Champloo till a complete viewing changed my opinion....but damn if this doesn't feel like a spiritual successor....
Kind of doubt it's some kind of spiritual successor trilogy series like the whole Girls With Guns trilogy. And also to note that Shinichiro Watanabe also Directed Kids On The Slope.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #52
Power Member

Mar 2012
USA

I was not too impressed with this second episode. The first episode was funnier, and more interesting.

It is also a cultural situation. Ramen shops are big in Japan; some jokes are being lost in translation and through differing culture.

I am curious what everyone else thinks.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:50 AM   #53

Oct 2012
Charlotte, NC

Quote:
I was not too impressed with this second episode. The first episode was funnier, and more interesting.

It is also a cultural situation. Ramen shops are big in Japan; some jokes are being lost in translation and through differing culture.

I am curious what everyone else thinks.
Yeah there's been a lot of conversation about that on the internet.

LINK One of the animators actually made a comment about the dub. I think all of these sites have blown the comments wayyyyy out of proportion though. The one I'm linking to especially.

Personally I liked it a lot. I just let the cultural differences go. Ya know?

I'm sure there are plenty of times that things in english movies were 'messed up' when they were translated to other languages. It happens.

I'm just glad that we have people skilled enough to translate these thing for us at all!

Plus, I love that other cultures are different. How boring would it be if we all had the same humor, same jokes, same content in shows etc, etc.

But that's just me.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:16 AM   #54
Power Member

Mar 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhonnie.macrae View Post
Yeah there's been a lot of conversation about that on the internet.

LINK One of the animators actually made a comment about the dub. I think all of these sites have blown the comments wayyyyy out of proportion though. The one I'm linking to especially.

Personally I liked it a lot. I just let the cultural differences go. Ya know?

I'm sure there are plenty of times that things in english movies were 'messed up' when they were translated to other languages. It happens.

I'm just glad that we have people skilled enough to translate these thing for us at all!

Plus, I love that other cultures are different. How boring would it be if we all had the same humor, same jokes, same content in shows etc, etc.

But that's just me.

I am not derailing the series, I am commenting on the fact that series might be funnier in Japanese than in English. I have been viewing the series in its original language with subtitles.

Your link makes me worry even more now. According to this animator, it is not just missing out on the joke, but on important details of the storyline (in the dub).

Thank you for the link.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:23 AM   #55

Oct 2012
Charlotte, NC

Quote:
I am not derailing the series, I am commenting on the fact that series might be funnier in Japanese than in English. I have been viewing the series in its original language with subtitles.

Your link makes me worry even more now. According to this animator, it is not just missing out on the joke, but on important details of the storyline (in the dub).

Thank you for the link.
oh no. haha. That's not what I was trying to imply. I totally understand what you mean. And you're probably spot on with that.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #56
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
UK
-
-

Episode 5 was absolutely stunning. Amazing music, touching, incredibly funny with the transformations.

This is heading in the right direction.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #57

Aug 2011
London, United Kingdom

I liked Episode 5 a lot too, it was a great change of pace. The tone of the ep was quite reminiscent of Bebop and Outlaw Star. Loved the Galaxy Express references throughout too.

It's clear that Watanabe is giving the rotating directors a lot of freedom to stamp their visions on each episode. Feels like each episode of Space Dandy offers something new and different as a result.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #58

Dec 2009

People only fall into the trap of men should do this and women should do this if they the person allows it.

My mother taught me many things. Sewing, cooking, housework, and many other skills that most men regard as feminist. Do I care? Nope, because at least I don't have to have someone do that stuff for me. My father taught me things that were considered masculine, but does that make me think women should be in the kitchen making me food? No...

Both sexes are more equal now then they have ever been. But society chooses to put labels on things. Again if you fall into the belief that you have to think and agree with society then that is on you. If you don't like the show it is a simple and not watching it.

But back to the show. I personally hope it does well that way it'll get a main spread release in Japan and in other markets.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:02 AM   #59
Power Member

Mar 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinthetic View Post
Episode 5 was absolutely stunning. Amazing music, touching, incredibly funny with the transformations.

This is heading in the right direction.
I agree.

I really enjoyed the last three episodes, especially the fifth. I hope this is the direction that Watanabe is shooting for: an "intergalactic Don Quijote."
Old 02-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #60

Apr 2008

Quote:
I agree.

I really enjoyed the last three episodes, especially the fifth. I hope this is the direction that Watanabe is shooting for: an "intergalactic Don Quijote."
I wasn't a big fan of the zombie episode (although it did remind of the Bebop episode "Toys in the Attic"). The last episode however was spectacular. I'm looking forward to see where the series goes.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime > Anime on TV and General Discussion