Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Patlabor the Mobile Police: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$48.99

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part One (Blu-ray)
$25.84

Dragon Ball Super: Part 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Xabungle: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Cutie Honey Universe: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime: Season One Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.99

Akame ga KILL!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Space Runaway Ideon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Those Who Hunt Elves: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Seitokai Yakuindomo: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 01-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA
Default Lupin the Third Part IV: The Italian Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady Hartel
IT'S HAPPENING. Final packaging for
@discotekmedia's release of Lupin the Third Part IV: The Italian Adventure - The Japanese Language Collection. Sorry for the wait!
Finally! We just need a release date...
Thanks given by:
LordCrumb (01-31-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #2

Jun 2017

I'm gonna say may or june
Old 01-31-2019, 02:17 AM   #3

May 2009
New Zealand

I really think this needed it's own thread for discussion. Great to see some more Lupin coming out
Thanks given by:
Dailyan (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 02:48 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Why do they only release part 4? Are there parts 1-3 as well?
Old 01-31-2019, 02:54 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivablu View Post
Why do they only release part 4? Are there parts 1-3 as well?
Part 4 is the most recent series. The HD masters for Part 1 (Green Jacket) and Part 2 (Red Jacket) are fairly horrendous. They were upscales done early in the HD era (Both series were some of, if not the first, cel-anime on Blu). I can't say on the Part 3 (Pink Jacket) series but I wouldn't be surprised if they were problematic like the first two. Discotek has slowly been releasing the full Part 2 series on DVD and have released Part 1 one long ago on DVD.
Thanks given by:
callahan09 (03-12-2019), vivablu (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 03:05 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

If I don't know anything about Lupin, would it be difficult to follow the story in this set?
Old 01-31-2019, 03:16 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

Quote:
If I don't know anything about Lupin, would it be difficult to follow the story in this set?
With "Lupin", there's not really an overall arching story-line from series to series, special to special, film to film etc. It's easy to follow.
Thanks given by:
vivablu (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 04:16 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Is this the same set that is available on RS or Amazon right now?
Old 01-31-2019, 04:19 AM   #9

May 2017
Garner, NC

Quote:
Is this the same set that is available on RS or Amazon right now?
The one available right now is the Italian cut of the series with English dub only, the one pictured above is the Japanese cut with subtitles only.
Thanks given by:
vivablu (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 04:35 AM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
I watched Part II on Adult Swim 16 years ago without knowing it was Part II until later. I did think it was odd to have episode 1 of Part II being a reunion but then I remembered Funimation had some movies and TV Specials which was then when I found out that there was quite a lot of Lupin.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:24 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailyan View Post
Part 4 is the most recent series. The HD masters for Part 1 (Green Jacket) and Part 2 (Red Jacket) are fairly horrendous. They were upscales done early in the HD era (Both series were some of, if not the first, cel-anime on Blu). I can't say on the Part 3 (Pink Jacket) series but I wouldn't be surprised if they were problematic like the first two. Discotek has slowly been releasing the full Part 2 series on DVD and have released Part 1 one long ago on DVD.
Green jacket is not upscale, but suffers from "frozen grain".
Old 01-31-2019, 06:34 AM   #12
Power Member

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footlong Shoe View Post
The one available right now is the Italian cut of the series with English dub only, the one pictured above is the Japanese cut with subtitles only.
Well thats pretty dumb. As a person who likes a dub and likes to watch subs this would make me less likely to buy either
Old 01-31-2019, 01:49 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritas View Post
Well thats pretty dumb. As a person who likes a dub and likes to watch subs this would make me less likely to buy either
I get it, but there are differences in the runtime of both which made this inevitable. On average the Italian/EN Dub episodes run 2 or 3 minutes longer than their Japanese versions, so more content. However, the Japanese version- which was broadcast later- has updated animation. So it really comes down to what the viewer prefers. I only watch stuff subbed, so itís easy for me, but for people who do either, itís a harder decision.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:55 PM   #14

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
I get it, but there are differences in the runtime of both which made this inevitable. On average the Italian/EN Dub episodes run 2 or 3 minutes longer than their Japanese versions, so more content. However, the Japanese version- which was broadcast later- has updated animation. So it really comes down to what the viewer prefers. I only watch stuff subbed, so itís easy for me, but for people who do either, itís a harder decision.
I was waiting for the Japanese release but I didnít realize they were this different. Are the stories actually different in some way for the Italian edition? Which would you recommend?
Old 01-31-2019, 09:08 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymerio View Post
I was waiting for the Japanese release but I didnít realize they were this different. Are the stories actually different in some way for the Italian edition? Which would you recommend?
The Italian version- from what I can tell- is like a Directorís cut due to the standard length of TV episodes being longer there than in Japan.

Iíve only seen the Japanese version, and it was perfectly fine. Donít know much about the new stuff so Iíll ask around.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:26 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Hereís what I found about the differences:

(In regards to the Japanese version being on 2 discs):
Quote:
Every episode of the Japanese version is like 2 minutes shorter than the US version (which adds up to 52 minutes less content), plus the extras aren't super long. So it all fits fine.
Quote:
We fit Kaiba onto one disc and that show has crazy gradients and also digital grain and got compliments on the picture quality. This doesn't have a lot of gradients and all the characters are very flat colors, so don't worry. Like I said, trust in @worldofcrap.
Quote:
Japan is all the same formats as the US, just on this particular show we're working on, the US version has different openings+endings and a minute and a half long roll call that's not in the Japanese version. The US version being a much different cut is the whole reason why we had to do two sets in the first place. :/
(From Anime Limited- the UK destributor)
Quote:
When the series originally aired, it premiered first in Italy, not in Japan. It came to light later on that there were particular video materials used for the Italian broadcast that differ to the materials used in the Japanese broadcast, when the series later aired in Japan.
When the series was dubbed into English, the dub was created utilising the Italian broadcast video assets, not the Japanese broadcast video assets. This meant that there were differences between the two.
ďWhy is this is a problem?Ē you ask. To give some context, when you select audio options on other anime Blu-rays, both the English and Japanese audio are timed to match with the video materials. This is why itís easy to switch between the two. But in this case, because there are differences between the two versions in terms of video footage it was simply not possible to include both language options on a single Blu-ray release.
From what I can tell, the music is different in certain bits- the OP is completely different. Compare this:

To this (the Italian OP):

And this is what the English dub used for broadcast on Toonami (again, totally different):

So, unless someone makes a blog post showing off all the differences, weíll never fully know.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:33 PM   #17

Aug 2013

Quote:
I started watching Lupin with this set (The Italian Adventure). Its a great starting point, and highly recommended to newcomers to the series.
Thanks given by:
vivablu (01-31-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 04:47 AM   #18
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Thereís also the 2nd Toonami Opening for the 2nd half of the series(sorry the video sucks)

Old 02-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #19

Jan 2019

The reason why the episodes are longer in the English release is because every episode starts with this minute and a half-ish long role call segment featuring narration from the five main characters introducing each other. These were edited out when the series aired on Toonami but are included in every episode on the blu-ray release. Not sure why they felt the need to include that in every episode but that's why the runtime is increased by so much.

I'm not aware of there being any scenes in one version that aren't in the other besides minor animation tweaks. You're getting the same show with whichever version you decide to watch, just with a different presentation.
Thanks given by:
Footlong Shoe (02-03-2019), professorwho (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #20
Special Member

Oct 2010

I love Lupin. I picked up the old Streamline tapes as soon as I found them and got hooked. As soon as Lupin made it's way to Murica via Pioneer, I got the CDs and DVDs. When Funimation got the TV films, I got those. Now, I get these new BD releases. I LOVE LUPIN! I also discovered this Samurai-era Lupin knock-off with the same animation style, on Crunchyroll that some of you might find interesting.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/bakumatsu-gijinden-roman
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime