Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Father Stu (DVD)
$19.99

Morbius (DVD)
$17.96

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (DVD)
$8.99

Black Widow (DVD)
$8.99

Luca (DVD)
$8.99

Ultraman Mebius: Complete Series + 4 Movies (DVD)
$22.99

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
The King's Man (DVD)
$8.99
1 day ago
Cruella (DVD)
$8.99

Remember the Titans (DVD)
$3.99
3 hrs ago
Lucifer: The Complete Fifth Season (DVD)
$21.69

The Last Duel (DVD)
$8.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 01-28-2022, 01:50 AM   #1
Contributor

Aug 2010
Default Question about possible Disney bootlegs

I've purchased a couple of those "Disney Generations" DVDs from a seller on Amazon and she keeps fighting me on their authenticity. I have others in the series and these don't look the same. The cover artwork is cropped short and looks darker and photocopied, the disc art/text is blurry, and the case is a different style. PLUS they were sealed in that telltale cheap plastic wrap that looks like a homemade job. She insists that she gets them from a reputable source and that "shortages of materials and pressing plants" has caused the quality of MOD product to vary wildly during the pandemic. But these are the first I've had look like this. And she also said Amazon is the only licensed place to sell these MOD Disney discs, but she's a third-party seller. Am I right? Are they boots? Sorry, I tried to take a picture but they look identical in a pic. The difference is only evident to the eye when placed side by side. I just want to know if her talking points are bull.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:05 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2018

Are the other Disney Generation DVDs you have pressed DVD-5s or MOD DVD-R? Some MODs are actually pressed instead of a recordable disc, but the vast majority are DVD-R.

Easy way to tell would be the DVD-R having a blueish bottom while a pressed DVD will be silver or with a golden hue. Another way to tell is by putting the disc in a PC that the pressed DVD would be copy protected, while the DVD-R is (usually) not and can play with any media player and freely drag 'n drop to a folder.

The packing seems suspect but I've heard of some later MOD DVD issues of the same title using different (and shoddier/cheaper) cases and artworks. I also see some of these Disney Generations for sale on Ebay and Etsy, so they may not be entirely exclusive to Amazon. That's not to say the ones you got from this seller could also possibly be boots. Pirates tend to use DVD-Rs and can very easily be made to look identical to an official MOD than say, a pressed retail release of a super popular title (with jumbled canton/engrish and cover images ripped and photoshopped from random).
Old 01-28-2022, 05:26 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Canada
-

From what you are describing it is almost certainly bootleg.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (04-19-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 09:08 PM   #4
Contributor

Aug 2010

Thanks guys. So, I actually received the second of the two I ordered and it looks normal. It was just one that looked bad. I guess I'm gonna just let it go at that.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:19 PM   #5
Special Member

Jul 2009

Someone has been advertising these on Facebook and also Marvel box sets which are clearly bootlegs- I don't know how they haven't gotten busted by now. I could make some money just selling copies of out of print stuff I have, but likely then I'd end up in jail.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:30 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2019
Hyde, Greater Manchester

Counterfeit Disney Blu-rays are pretty common when ordering online; I've received three of them myself. Cover art was perfect, disc art was perfect, and they look and sound just like the real thing. However, the flip side of the disc is blue, indicating a BD-R. I've been refunded in full all three times and I got to keep the Blu-rays.

Make sure you order through a reputable seller. Don't order Disney movies from eBay, and only order from Amazon directly; no third-party sellers.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:35 PM   #7

Jul 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H. View Post
Counterfeit Disney Blu-rays are pretty common when ordering online; I've received three of them myself. Cover art was perfect, disc art was perfect, and they look and sound just like the real thing. However, the flip side of the disc is blue, indicating a BD-R. I've been refunded in full all three times and I got to keep the Blu-rays.

Make sure you order through a reputable seller. Don't order Disney movies from eBay, and only order from Amazon directly; no third-party sellers.
Your argument is irrelevant and invalid. I've ordered plenty of Disney movies from eBay and Amazon third-party sellers and never had any issues.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:46 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2019
Hyde, Greater Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfKingTurd View Post
Your argument is irrelevant and invalid. I've ordered plenty of Disney movies from eBay and Amazon third-party sellers and never had any issues.
Neat.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:16 PM   #9
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfKingTurd View Post
You can still get bootlegs from Amazon (directly), but I'd imagine eBay has far more listed. Most sellers will offer refunds if questioned and some buyers know what they're getting (and some sellers know what they're selling), they just can't get it anywhere else.
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (04-12-2022), ps3bd_owner (04-19-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies