Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (Blu-ray)
$18.39
11 hrs ago
Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
20 hrs ago
Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$17.99

One Missed Call Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.03

Hitchcock: British International Pictures Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.83
9 hrs ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Back to the Future: 30th Anniversary Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 11-17-2019, 03:09 AM   #381

Jan 2008

In all fairness kuros were released circa 2008

Iíve pulled em apart - well engineered and all 3 of mine still work

BUT one of the problems is the 9th generAtion kuros has a tendency to develop red tinted blacks - but that can be fixed via 10 mins in service menu

Canít wait to see the Panasonic Gz2000in person

Kuros are available everywhere 2nd hand at a cheap price -sometimes I see them with less than 20,000 hours on the clock. For someone on a budget theyíre not a bad option at the right price
Thanks given by:
wzollinger1 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 07:32 PM   #382
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
It really doesn't matter because, the Pioneer Kuros have been discontinued 20 years ago, and all Plasma TVs had stopped being produced since 2014. Nobody could buy a brand new Kuro if they wanted one, so if anybody wanted to buy a new TV, they would have to get either a OLED, LED, LCD or a QLED anyway.
The last Pioneer plasmas were the 2008 Pioneer Elite Signature series PRO-141FD and PRO-101FD that went out of production in April of 2009. That makes the Pioneer plasmas only 11 years old and not 20 years old for the latest model.

Most people replace their plasma with a OLED or projector.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 02:27 AM   #383
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

What ^ he said.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:24 PM   #384
Expert Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twm1988 View Post
Yes, buying anything used you should be careful and do your due diligence. I purchase a great deal of my audio equipment used and as long as you check things out and make sure there are no signs of physical damage or abuse,... I have had zero problems buying used myself.

There was a Panny 60" VT30 on my local classifieds last month for $550 that I should have jumped on. The kind of LED you could buy brand new with warranty today for $550 is utterly horrendous. I haven't seen any $4000-5000 LED's that I prefer to my plasma, so I can only imagine the horror of a $550 LED trying to impress me, lol!
Just picked up an Panny 65 inch VT30 over the weekend for $180! Only thing missing was the stand. Boy that thing was heavy! 130lbs without the stand. I couldn't pass it up. We watched a movie on it Saturday night and football yesterday and it was great!
Old 11-19-2019, 01:01 AM   #385

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepooch21 View Post
Just picked up an Panny 65 inch VT30 over the weekend for $180! Only thing missing was the stand. Boy that thing was heavy! 130lbs without the stand. I couldn't pass it up. We watched a movie on it Saturday night and football yesterday and it was great!
Holy s**t, that's a wicked TV for a wicked price!! Nice find!

Probably the best deal I've ever seen for a Panny plasma... dammit, I'm super jealous now
Old 11-19-2019, 01:30 AM   #386
Expert Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Holy s**t, that's a wicked TV for a wicked price!! Nice find!

Probably the best deal I've ever seen for a Panny plasma... dammit, I'm super jealous now
Yeah I was shocked. He had it listed for $250. I tried to get it down to $160 cause I had to purchase a wall mount but we settled for $180. It even had the pair of 3d glasses that were never used. I wish it had the stand, but I will make it lol.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:49 AM   #387

Oct 2009

littlepooch21, if you can come up with a part number for the stand you may be able to buy one on eBay, maybe nos. Just a thought.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #388
Expert Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECII View Post
littlepooch21, if you can come up with a part number for the stand you may be able to buy one on eBay, maybe nos. Just a thought.
Yeah I'm not sure how to get a part number though.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:30 AM   #389

Oct 2009

Here's the part numbers you need.

TBL5ZX0183 Stand

TXFBL5Z0033 Poles (2 needed)

TXFBL5Z0035 Stand Screw Kit

Parts Page URL Below. Sears still has a lot of parts for this model. They have the stand, but not the other parts you need.

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/mod...n-parts?page=2
Old 11-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #390
Expert Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECII View Post
Here's the part numbers you need.

TBL5ZX0183 Stand

TXFBL5Z0033 Poles (2 needed)

TXFBL5Z0035 Stand Screw Kit

Parts Page URL Below. Sears still has a lot of parts for this model. They have the stand, but not the other parts you need.

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/mod...n-parts?page=2
Ouch! $223 just for the stand lol. I think I will just stick with the wall mount that I have it on lol. I do appreciate the information though. Just wish it was reasonable.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #391
Special Member

Apr 2008
Chicagoland

Quote:
Ouch! $223 just for the stand lol. I think I will just stick with the wall mount that I have it on lol. I do appreciate the information though. Just wish it was reasonable.
Look for a broken or really cheap TV and get the stand from that. Just a thought...
Old 12-04-2019, 07:03 PM   #392
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Doesn't have to be a 20yr old Pioneer... a 5yr old upper level/flagship Panny is fairly easy to find and will come damn close to the Kuro performance.

I'd rather have a used plasma that gives me beautiful picture quality for a few years, than a new OLED that giver me miserable PQ for 5-7yrs... or however long they even last these days.

Definitely understand and respect your point on buying used though, even though I'm at the opposite side of it
Unlike the post you're responding to, I would gladly choose a late-gen Kuro or better yet my 60"VT60 Panasonic plasma over a new 4K LED set any day of the year, but unlike you that doesn't roll over to OLED - I have not looked back once since upgrading my VT60 to a Panasonic 65" 4K OLED which has been ISF calibrated by Mike Osadciw. People keep talking about OLED fans going on about brightness, the thing that keeps blowing my socks off with my OLED is the incredible shadow detail and truly deep blacks. I thought brightness was a negative for OLEDs compared to LCD TVs.

I knew OLED was going to be something special when I saw an early 1080p model at Value Electronics at the 2013 shootout Robert referenced above, the black test with the small white rectangular border in the dark room...the LCD sets all looked UUUUUUUGLLEEEEE! Some of them could have passed for overhead lighting haha. The plasmas looked so much better, but there on the wall was one set with a bright white rectangle just floating on the wall and that is when I truly realized what a big difference there can still be between 0.00002 blacks and 0.0000000000000 perfect blacks.

Add in the stunning colors and HDR to those perfect blacks plasma never could quite acheive and it's been easy to neglect the very minor deficiences OLED has against plasma for the substantially greater improvements in OVERALL picture quality. Mike Osadciw was of the same opinion for what it's worth.

I wish Panasonic would make their OLEDs more attainable to all my neighbors to the south but until then I'm grateful for having been able to move to OLED for quite a bit less than I originally paid for my VT60 plasma (which was $1900 from Paul's TV back in December 2013).

And when you keep an eye on the classifieds, for those in the USA who have seen a calibrated Sony master OLED in action in a dark room and still think it's not notably better than Kuro/VT60/ZT60 plasmas, grabbing a used plasma even 60~65" will only set you back a couple hundred bucks.

Seems like winning for all of us.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #393

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Unlike the post you're responding to, I would gladly choose a late-gen Kuro or better yet my 60"VT60 Panasonic plasma over a new 4K LED set any day of the year, but unlike you that doesn't roll over to OLED - I have not looked back once since upgrading my VT60 to a Panasonic 65" 4K OLED which has been ISF calibrated by Mike Osadciw. People keep talking about OLED fans going on about brightness, the thing that keeps blowing my socks off with my OLED is the incredible shadow detail and truly deep blacks. I thought brightness was a negative for OLEDs compared to LCD TVs.

I knew OLED was going to be something special when I saw an early 1080p model at Value Electronics at the 2013 shootout Robert referenced above, the black test with the small white rectangular border in the dark room...the LCD sets all looked UUUUUUUGLLEEEEE! Some of them could have passed for overhead lighting haha. The plasmas looked so much better, but there on the wall was one set with a bright white rectangle just floating on the wall and that is when I truly realized what a big difference there can still be between 0.00002 blacks and 0.0000000000000 perfect blacks.

Add in the stunning colors and HDR to those perfect blacks plasma never could quite acheive and it's been easy to neglect the very minor deficiences OLED has against plasma for the substantially greater improvements in OVERALL picture quality. Mike Osadciw was of the same opinion for what it's worth.

I wish Panasonic would make their OLEDs more attainable to all my neighbors to the south but until then I'm grateful for having been able to move to OLED for quite a bit less than I originally paid for my VT60 plasma (which was $1900 from Paul's TV back in December 2013).

And when you keep an eye on the classifieds, for those in the USA who have seen a calibrated Sony master OLED in action in a dark room and still think it's not notably better than Kuro/VT60/ZT60 plasmas, grabbing a used plasma even 60~65" will only set you back a couple hundred bucks.

Seems like winning for all of us.
What model exactly I your Panasonic 65" 4K OLED? How do you find the TV presents any motion?

I've done my best over the years to find an LED of any kind that comes anywhere near the motion quality of plasma's... that's really the main thing holding me back from moving to an LED. The extra crispy detail can be subdued a bit I guess by calibrating it and messing around with the settings and turning sharpness and such down to get a more natural picture. But the motion issues are something I just can't seem to get past, and I notice it every time I go into the few upper lever audio shops I visit regularly.

These aren't the junk big box store's either, but proper high-end shops with properly setup A/V equipment and demo rooms... so you can bet they have all their audio equipment and TV's/Projectors calibrated properly to within an inch of their life, and I still leave there every time feeling so happy I still own a plasma.

If OLED manufacturer's are able to properly present motion in the near future, then when my Panny plasma dies, I may just be looking at a nice Panasonic OLED as it's replacement... but it would be after a VERY intense testing and comparing period to make sure it met my expectations, lol.
Thanks given by:
dobyblue (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 10:41 PM   #394
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
What model exactly I your Panasonic 65" 4K OLED? How do you find the TV presents any motion?

I've done my best over the years to find an LED of any kind that comes anywhere near the motion quality of plasma's... that's really the main thing holding me back from moving to an LED. The extra crispy detail can be subdued a bit I guess by calibrating it and messing around with the settings and turning sharpness and such down to get a more natural picture. But the motion issues are something I just can't seem to get past, and I notice it every time I go into the few upper lever audio shops I visit regularly.

These aren't the junk big box store's either, but proper high-end shops with properly setup A/V equipment and demo rooms... so you can bet they have all their audio equipment and TV's/Projectors calibrated properly to within an inch of their life, and I still leave there every time feeling so happy I still own a plasma.

If OLED manufacturers are able to properly present motion in the near future, then when my Panny plasma dies, I may just be looking at a nice Panasonic OLED as it's replacement... but it would be after a VERY intense testing and comparing period to make sure it met my expectations, lol.
I have the first model available to Canada, the 65 EZ950. I got it December 2018 which is why I paid about 20% of MSRP and pretty much stole it. It comes out of the box with some ME/MC circuitry on which I noticed right away, as soon as I turned it off I did not notice poor motion resolution like I do on LED sets. You said LED a few times in your opening paragraph, presumably we're only talking about OLED as a viable option right? Or maybe something like Crystal LED. I think only panel technologies where each pixel has/is its own light source will suffice for plasma owners. OLED isn't LED, it's a shame CEs started calling LCD sets LED as it's confused some people instead of calling them CCFL-LCD and LED-LCD sets. OLED is as different to "LED" as plasma is.

I've never found a single LED I would have traded my plasma for, that might get me in arguments in other areas of the forums but I just found the overall picture quality (outside of static full screen images) in dark rooms left me very easily saying "this is not a plasma, pass".

OLED won me over very quickly. Maybe I might notice a small difference in motion if you put my set side by side with my old VT60, but I don't recall a single time I've sat there noticing motion blur and it was in the back of my mind when I first put it on my wall mount. I am super sensitive to poor picture quality and I'm the kind of guy who will try and turn motion compensation circuitry off when no-one else is looking if I see it on at a friend's house, or at a bar etc. So no, it hasn't been a concern. There was an HDR 24p stutter I believe at one point that was fixed by Panasonic with a firmware update, never saw it on mine so the update probably was released by the time I picked mine up.

I hope to upgrade to the 65" GZ2000 next year so I can add Dolby Vision to my HT. And spending $350 on the professional calibration for both SDR and HDR sources was easy to do for this level of TV. Very happy knowing Mike and he was very impressed with the results he got from the Panny.

Picture I took for my TV listing, that's the top of my centre channel in the front. I like this picture because you can see how great the black levels are at the edges of the screen which aren't identifiable on the right side, but on the left side where the image cuts off lets you know where the bezel is. That glass is spinning in the hands of the blower in this pic I took of a 4K demo clip.

This was just a Canon T2 DSLR auto set, I should learn how to manually adjust the shutter speed.

Thanks given by:
Twm1988 (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 11:28 PM   #395

Sep 2014

Quote:
I have the first model available to Canada, the 65 EZ950. I got it December 2018 which is why I paid about 20% of MSRP and pretty much stole it. It comes out of the box with some ME/MC circuitry on which I noticed right away, as soon as I turned it off I did not notice poor motion resolution like I do on LED sets. You said LED a few times in your opening paragraph, presumably we're only talking about OLED as a viable option right? Or maybe something like Crystal LED. I think only panel technologies where each pixel has/is its own light source will suffice for plasma owners. OLED isn't LED, it's a shame CEs started calling LCD sets LED as it's confused some people instead of calling them CCFL-LCD and LED-LCD sets. OLED is as different to "LED" as plasma is.

I've never found a single LED I would have traded my plasma for, that might get me in arguments in other areas of the forums but I just found the overall picture quality (outside of static full screen images) in dark rooms left me very easily saying "this is not a plasma, pass".

OLED won me over very quickly. Maybe I might notice a small difference in motion if you put my set side by side with my old VT60, but I don't recall a single time I've sat there noticing motion blur and it was in the back of my mind when I first put it on my wall mount. I am super sensitive to poor picture quality and I'm the kind of guy who will try and turn motion compensation circuitry off when no-one else is looking if I see it on at a friend's house, or at a bar etc. So no, it hasn't been a concern. There was an HDR 24p stutter I believe at one point that was fixed by Panasonic with a firmware update, never saw it on mine so the update probably was released by the time I picked mine up.

I hope to upgrade to the 65" GZ2000 next year so I can add Dolby Vision to my HT. And spending $350 on the professional calibration for both SDR and HDR sources was easy to do for this level of TV. Very happy knowing Mike and he was very impressed with the results he got from the Panny.

Picture I took for my TV listing, that's the top of my centre channel in the front. I like this picture because you can see how great the black levels are at the edges of the screen which aren't identifiable on the right side, but on the left side where the image cuts off lets you know where the bezel is. That glass is spinning in the hands of the blower in this pic I took of a 4K demo clip.

This was just a Canon T2 DSLR auto set, I should learn how to manually adjust the shutter speed.

Cool, thanks for sharing with us your experiences, and posting that picture too. The black level's do look very impressive in that shot.

I have seen many LED/OLED/4K sets that look incredible with demo material... the fine, inner detail is amazing on most. But whenever I test those TV's out with movies/TV series it seems something is lost in translation... they loose their proper filmic look, and it just makes films/tv series look like reality tv shows or documentaries.

I don't know if it's entirely the motion issues that cause it, but for me it ruins the way films are supposed to look I guess. I suppose if I got an OLED I would be spending some time going through all the settings myself and tuning it to look as close as possible to the way I want.

And yes, you are correct... I'm always talking about OLED's, even though I mention ANY type of LED in my post, it would really just be the best OLED's in particular that have a chance.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:07 AM   #396

Apr 2011
Arizona

Quote:
Got interested in plasma's recently and have picked up two so far. Got a Samsung PN63C8000 for $200. Then just last weekend I scored a pioneer kuro krp-500m for $100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2019, 02:06 AM   #397

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickeleye7 View Post
Got interested in plasma's recently and have picked up two so far. Got a Samsung PN63C8000 for $200. Then just last weekend I scored a pioneer kuro krp-500m for $100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OMG, those are some wicked deals you guys are finding... those are two pretty nice sets!

I saw a Panny 55" ST for $250 on my local classifieds last week... but I passed on it cause I'm really holding out for a 60-65" VT or ZT
Old 12-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #398
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
OMG, those are some wicked deals you guys are finding... those are two pretty nice sets!

I saw a Panny 55" ST for $250 on my local classifieds last week... but I passed on it cause I'm really holding out for a 60-65" VT or ZT
Where is local? Keep an eye on AVS classifieds, guy sold his 60" VT60 plasma (my old telly) for $200 last month in Oregon.

60" Kuro Pro-150FD for $250 - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/253-p...rkland-wa.html
Old 12-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #399

Sep 2014

Quote:
Where is local? Keep an eye on AVS classifieds, guy sold his 60" VT60 plasma (my old telly) for $200 last month in Oregon.

60" Kuro Pro-150FD for $250 - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/253-p...rkland-wa.html
Local for me is around Edmonton in Alberta, Canada. I look at a few online sites and such... not really interested in having a TV that size shipped to me from anywhere really

It would have to be within an hour or so drive and I'd be going to pick it up and inspect it in person.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:31 PM   #400
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Plasma TVs are heavy because their screens were made of glass. You really have to be careful when you're carrying a plasma TV because, if you drop it, it's through...They're not light featherweight as the new OLEDs, LEDs LCDs etc. A person can lift those practically with one hand. That's why they're so easy to steal and walk out with from somebody's home. Every break in, the first thing they're going to grab is the TV.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs