Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Everything Everywhere All at Once 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
5 hrs ago
The Untouchables 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.98
19 hrs ago
Batman 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

True Romance 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
1 day ago
The Evil Dead Groovy Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.48
1 day ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

The Boys: Seasons 1 & 2 Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
19 hrs ago
Chernobyl 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.81
1 day ago
True Romance (Blu-ray)
$27.10
8 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.87
1 day ago
No Time to Die 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission (Blu-ray)
$19.96
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 12-27-2021, 11:51 PM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN
Default Pink Splotch / Area on Panasonic 65” TC-P65ZT60

I’ve done many searches for this type of issue overall online but no real answer

My plasma has a small area on right side midway down where when watching Black and White blu-rays it has a pink tint or splotch on white and darker grey areas in that section. What’s odd is, if I turn on the screen wipe function there is no pink in the white area to be seen.

It can look faint, or a little more pronounced depending on the image background

I can never see it while watching color films

I was reading that some using game mode experience these things so I turned game mode off. (Had it on for Nintendo Switch games)

It doesn’t ever seem permanent since I can stop the blu-ray and go to another screen with a white background and its gone. Or watching a color film with whites and still no issue.

I use 2 different players hooked into my AVR: a region free OPPO and a 4K Oppo doesn't matter what player the discs are played in.

I went from a black and white film to the MY FAIR LADY 4K and I can’t see an instance of the issue in that area of the screen.

Anyone with any tech knowledge have any thoughts?
Old 12-28-2021, 08:18 PM   #2

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
I’ve done many searches for this type of issue overall online but no real answer

My plasma has a small area on right side midway down where when watching Black and White blu-rays it has a pink tint or splotch on white and darker grey areas in that section. What’s odd is, if I turn on the screen wipe function there is no pink in the white area to be seen.

It can look faint, or a little more pronounced depending on the image background

I can never see it while watching color films

I was reading that some using game mode experience these things so I turned game mode off. (Had it on for Nintendo Switch games)

It doesn’t ever seem permanent since I can stop the blu-ray and go to another screen with a white background and its gone. Or watching a color film with whites and still no issue.

I use 2 different players hooked into my AVR: a region free OPPO and a 4K Oppo doesn't matter what player the discs are played in.

I went from a black and white film to the MY FAIR LADY 4K and I can’t see an instance of the issue in that area of the screen.

Anyone with any tech knowledge have any thoughts?
I had this start happening on my VT60 after I tried some custom calibration setting from an online TV testing site. One very slight reddish/pinkish blob on the right side halfway up the screen, and another on the upper left side. Those settings I used had HUGE boosts in the red and magenta values, and ever since putting the settings back to my own custom ones, there are these two red/pink "hotspots" now

It's not there all the time, like you said,... the screen wipe scrolling black and white bars do not have the issue show up, and white/light grey scenes in DVD's or Blu-ray or Satellite or Netflix will sometimes show it or not, its hit or miss.

Have no idea how to get rid of it, but thankfully it is not very serious, and not noticeable 90% of the time... I don't think the rest of my family members have ever noticed it so far, just my super critical eyes, lol.
Thanks given by:
PowellPressburger (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 08:25 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twm1988 View Post
Have no idea how to get rid of it, but thankfully it is not very serious, and not noticeable 90% of the time... I don't think the rest of my family members have ever noticed it so far, just my super critical eyes, lol.
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it is a serious issue or anything with the TV being bad since it seems to really show up only during black and white movies I watch on blu-rays. Yet the mostly black and white and grey ascot scene in My Fair Lady... it does nothing to the image at all. It looks great. no pinkish splotch at all.

So I don't think it means the tv has gone bad cause other discs I play look great. It's just an odd thing, and I agree probably something to do with settings.
Thanks given by:
Twm1988 (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 11:21 PM   #4

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it is a serious issue or anything with the TV being bad since it seems to really show up only during black and white movies I watch on blu-rays. Yet the mostly black and white and grey ascot scene in My Fair Lady... it does nothing to the image at all. It looks great. no pinkish splotch at all.

So I don't think it means the tv has gone bad cause other discs I play look great. It's just an odd thing, and I agree probably something to do with settings.
Yes, it's slightly odd but nothing serious I don't think... just a minor annoying sometimes.

I know a guy that has been trying to get a new Samsung flagship OLED for about three weeks now. He has had to have the tv returned and so far three times had a new one delivered to him and each time there are serious issues with the panel in every one... dead pixels, black lines/bars, severe hotspots, one wouldn't display the color orange, and one panel was cracked upon opening the box.

So I count myself very lucky this 9 yr old plasma has held up so well, and only has a very minor annoyance compared to that mess, lol!
Thanks given by:
Hatter (01-03-2022), HeavyHitter (03-05-2022), PowellPressburger (12-28-2021)
Old 03-05-2022, 04:30 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007

Quality control seems to suck on new flat panels and projectors these days.
Thanks given by:
Twm1988 (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 12:13 AM   #6

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Quality control seems to suck on new flat panels and projectors these days.
Yep, they are definitely not mean to last more than 2 or 3 years anymore... very disappointing.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:25 AM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twm1988 View Post
Yep, they are definitely not mean to last more than 2 or 3 years anymore... very disappointing.
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (03-06-2022), Twm1988 (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 01:43 AM   #8

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
Haha!

Yes, but back then they actually DID make good quality products, and they simply got replaced with better/cooler models... whereas today, the quality is not there, and they not only become outdated and obsolete even quicker, but they also don't even continue functioning properly for 1/5th or 1/10th the time they should, lol.
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (03-06-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs