Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Blu-ray)
$123.49

Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.49

Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$25.84

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Steins;Gate: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Seven Mortal Sins: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Fruits Basket: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Tokyo Ghoul:re - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Fruits Basket: Season One, Part Two (Blu-ray)
$64.62

Tales of Zestiria the X: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.99

High School DxD Hero: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$37.99

Overlord III: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$38.76

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 11-13-2019, 01:08 AM   #4501

Aug 2018
Jenkinsburg, Georgia

It really is a shame. Several years ago they spent so much effort scanning the original negatives in high quality, only for it to be released like this.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:11 AM   #4502

May 2017
Garner, NC

Being a Dragon Ball fan has definitely lowered my bar substantially in terms of judging DNR lol. Gundam still looks great to me. The grain may be gone but the image doesn't suffer as much as it would usually have to to make me complain. Though I will admit it is far from ideal. My endorsements for Escaflowne and G Gundam still stand, though.
Thanks given by:
StuPod (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 01:15 AM   #4503
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

I do agree with Escaflowne and G Gundam, especially the latter. For Escaflowne, if one is Region B, the Anime Limited release is better (encoded by Justin Sevakis), but the FUNi release is still really good.
Thanks given by:
Footlong Shoe (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 01:41 AM   #4504
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Jones View Post
It really is a shame. Several years ago they spent so much effort scanning the original negatives in high quality, only for it to be released like this.
They scanned brand new 35mm blow-up interpositives that were created from the original 16mm camera negatives. This was in 2006.

I wonder if the Bandai R2 or R1 Anime Legends DVDs used a pre-dnr version of the HD remaster.
Thanks given by:
Logan Jones (11-13-2019), professorwho (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 01:43 AM   #4505

Aug 2018
Jenkinsburg, Georgia

That's right. I meant the interpositives. I wonder about how the DVDs look too.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #4506

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
No, the original Gundam series is 100% a Q-Tec DNR mess. The site's review is meh, but the screenshots show all:
[Show spoiler]

The show was shot on 16mm and is nowhere near that clean and grain free if remastered correctly.
Well, from my honest experience, screenshots on the main pages from this site aren't great.

It looks slightly better in the screenshots I ran into yesterday.

And yeah obviously grain has been reduced, but you use "remastered correctly" as if any grain reduction on animation turns a remaster into a bad one...which is just... yikes.

Anyway, what's your source that it was actually Q-Tec who remastered Gundam '79?
Thanks given by:
StuPod (11-13-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 08:56 PM   #4507
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

Patlabor: The Movie

Comparison US Ultimate Collection BD & JP BD

US Ultimate Collection BD

JP BD

Bitrate viewer US Ultimate Collection BD

AVG: 19921 kbps | MAX: 34615 kbps

Bitrate viewer JP BD

AVG: 28387 kbps | MAX: 47683 kbps
Thanks given by:
Logan Jones (11-15-2019), professorwho (11-15-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 09:00 PM   #4508
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Also worth mentioning the US BD only has the Japanese 5.1 remix with re-done voice acting and effects- the original Dolby Surround option isn’t included, sadly.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:47 PM   #4509
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

Quote:
Also worth mentioning the US BD only has the Japanese 5.1 remix with re-done voice acting and effects- the original Dolby Surround option isn’t included, sadly.
Yeah, that's a big problem. I already remuxed the 2 movies with with the original audio. I might go after the Korean BDs depending on how much I like these movies.
Thanks given by:
professorwho (11-15-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 12:49 PM   #4510

Aug 2018
Jenkinsburg, Georgia

I know of SD-BDs being ≈720x480i/p, but I know early 2000s digital anime was mastered in a resolution that was higher than that.

Question: What's the resolution(s) that digital anime/animation from the early 2000s was mastered in?

(I learned in a video that the resolution was 576p, but I'm not certain that that is the case for all anime/animation from that era.)

Furthermore, I want to know the reasoning behind this choice of resolution.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:58 PM   #4511
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

All sorts of different resolutions were and are used.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #4512

Aug 2018
Jenkinsburg, Georgia

Interesting... Like 768x576, or 1024x768? Or even oddball uncommon resolutions too?

I'd like to know some examples, because I can't seem to find any info online.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #4513
Special Member

Mar 2019
my own personal hell

^Read Justin's Answerman column here, current anime is often created at somewhere between 720 and 1080p and then upscaled to 1080p; it's not just early digital animation:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ans...-07-06/.103696
Old 11-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #4514
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

In the coming days I’ll be posting stats and screencaps of classic anime series that may not have been given full breakdowns here- like Outlaw Star (UK release by Anime Limited), Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (UK release by Manga Entertainment) and Turn a Gundam (US release by Nozomi/Rightstuf). I’ve came to some interesting conclusions here- ones that actually go against what was thought to be known facts here- some good, some bad. Either way, I think you’ll be happy with the breakdowns I’ll be writing up.
Thanks given by:
cfx (11-20-2019), Logan Jones (11-20-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 03:57 AM   #4515
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Turn A Gundam
(Nozomi Entertainment/Rightstuf, USA)

I'll just cut to the chase, I am pretty disappointed here with the Blu-ray release of Turn A Gundam.

First, a little background. It was the last entry in the franchise to be finished on film (the next- Seed- was done digitally in standard definition). Turn A was finished on 35mm and the cuts with hybrid digital/CG were most likely printed to film like other Sunrise shows of the era. On which, most of the big Sunrise series from the mid to late 90s were finished on 35mm and look superb. Turn A is a weird case.

Now to the stats and audio:

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Audio:
Japanese: LPCM 2.0 (48kHz, 16-bit)

Due to good disc space optimization, Nozomi has encoded the series at a high bitrate. The episodes are divided by a 8-8-9 split for each half's Blu-ray release. Disc 1 is 45.2 GB which is fantastic.

The audio is flawless- clarity is great, and there are no issues to report. Subtitles are yellow, and the translation is pretty good, though I would change some diction. The size of the font is too big for my liking, but it's a small issue. (Note, the screenshot above was taken with VLC to show off subs, while all the other ones are from Virtual Dub 2)

Now for the video. For a title finished on 35mm, you'd expect a well defined layer of grain, however, that's not the case here. In fact, I'd say that most of it has been eliminated completely. In close ups, the use of DNR is less noticeable, however in more pulled back shots it becomes very noticeable. There are moments it does pop up (like when Loran is underwater), but then it shows up frozen in backgrounds and it looks really bad. There is still a fine amount of detail, but as there are no images of the raw scans, I can't say how much is lost.

When doing research, I found out that on a certain company's website, they used a certain process to clean up the audio. If they did the audio, it's more than likely that they worked on the video as well. That company is obviously Q-Tec. Because of course it is.

Now onto the other issues. For some reason I can't understand, there is noticeable throughout many scenes. It's harder to convey in screenshots, but in motion it's a bit distracting. However, the bigger issue is that of compression.

Despite a high bitrate which is more than enough to produce a great image, there is more artifacting than I'd like. Most of it is macroblocking in darker areas, but occasionally some banding appears as well. With some BDs that have blocking, it can be hard to spot in motion, while obvious in screenshots (many Criterion BDs are that way)- here that is not the case. Almost all of the artifacting you see in the screencaps can be seen in motion, and even when sitting far away from the screen. Most of the image is free of major artifacting, but when it shows up, you notice it.

Overall, I'm disappointed. This is nowhere near the worst anime Blu-ray release, but with Q-Tec ruining one of the best Gundam entries and Nozomi not having flawless compression, it's a shame Turn A doesn't have the release it deserves. It still beats any DVD release in terms of quality, but for a Blu-ray remaster originally released in 2014 in Japan, it does not live up to expectations. This is the best looking release with English subs, so if you're curious about the series, or love it already, you should get it- but know what you'll be getting in terms of quality.

I ended up taking over 100(!) screencaps for this, so the album with them all is here.
Thanks given by:
Logan Jones (11-21-2019), NLScavenger (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 04:11 AM   #4516
Special Member

Mar 2019
my own personal hell

The removal of any/all film grain on that gives the faces, especially those darker-skinned ones, that ugly "we used the Photoshop paint bucket to color this" effect that the Lupin Mamo UHD has. The linework isn't as clobbered as that, but this, based on your screens, is probably borderline unwatchable for me.

I'm not a Gundam fan so I won't be missing out, but it still sucks to see releases of anything look like this.
Thanks given by:
professorwho (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 05:13 AM   #4517
Expert Member

Sep 2007
less than 10 minutes from Akihabara

Quote:
Turn A Gundam
(Nozomi Entertainment/Rightstuf, USA)
Now onto the other issues. For some reason I can't understand, there is noticeable throughout many scenes.
Looks like you left out a word in this sentence, what's noticeable?

I watched through the JP releases several years ago, and definitely remember a lack of grain, but don't think I noticed any macroblocking.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #4518
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd213 View Post
Looks like you left out a word in this sentence, what's noticeable?

I watched through the JP releases several years ago, and definitely remember a lack of grain, but don't think I noticed any macroblocking.
Aliasing. Itís rather distracting.

As for the macroblocking, itís most likely you didnít notice it due to better compression on the Japanese release.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:48 AM   #4519

Aug 2018
Jenkinsburg, Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfx View Post
The removal of any/all film grain on that gives the faces, especially those darker-skinned ones, that ugly "we used the Photoshop paint bucket to color this" effect that the Lupin Mamo UHD has. The linework isn't as clobbered as that, but this, based on your screens, is probably borderline unwatchable for me.

I'm not a Gundam fan so I won't be missing out, but it still sucks to see releases of anything look like this.
What these companies like q-tec are trying to do is make classic anime look like modern anime, in hopes of making it appear more appealing to a wider demographic. It shouldn't be this way, and I don't want to accept it...

But SO MANY old anime are being given this treatment.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:29 AM   #4520
Special Member

Mar 2019
my own personal hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Jones View Post
What these companies like q-tec are trying to do is make classic anime look like modern anime, in hopes of making it appear more appealing to a wider demographic. It shouldn't be this way, and I don't want to accept it...

But SO MANY old anime are being given this treatment.
Yeah it sucks.

For me it's an issue of degree; I can't stand it when the linework becomes clobbered due to this tampering. I have no problem with how this Dirty Pair looks though I know someone here said it looked awful:
OTOH I think the Lupin Mamo UHD is unwatchable destroyed garbage, and I refuse to buy anything that looks like this:
There was an earlier 4K mastter blu-ray that I can't find the video for, and it looked fine to me unlike this trash.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime