Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.49

Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Blu-ray)
$123.49

Steins;Gate: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Tokyo Ghoul:re - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Fruits Basket: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Seven Mortal Sins: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$25.84

Attack on Titan: Season 3 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$27.90
23 hrs ago
Tales of Zestiria the X: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$30.06

Overlord III: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$38.76

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 03-31-2014, 10:27 PM   #41
Blu-ray.com Reviewer

Feb 2009
Texas

Geneon DVD's were typically pretty high quality (in part because they only put a few episodes of a series on each DVD).
Old 04-01-2014, 12:23 AM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPion View Post
Geneon DVD's were typically pretty high quality (in part because they only put a few episodes of a series on each DVD).
That was commonplace back then. I know it was a result of the costs of licensing and dubbing, but that didn't stop it from being totally annoying. I don't keep up with anime too much these days, but it seems like companies are now releasing series as a whole or in more sizable chunks than three or four episodes per disc. I prefer it that way even if a series ends up costing a pretty penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseY0ur1llusi0n View Post
Why keep that DNR'ed Blu-ray release?? Did you hear that Studio Ghibli are releasing it this August? Now Discotek's BD release should look simply stunning
DNR doesn't bother me so much when it comes to animation. Still, I haven't yet watched Studio Canal's release. I might end up eBaying the thing. I'd heard something about the upcoming Japanese release. If nothing else, it will look nice next to the other Ghibli Blu-ray digipaks of those people wealthy enough to afford them.

Quote:
I meant when compared to Blu-ray
Well, compared to Blu-ray, everything sucks.

Quote:
Haha. I've not seen the Lupin DVD's, so I can't comment on the quality. I do know that Geneon made the highest quality DVD's in their time, maybe not for all of their releases, but quite of few: (Paranoia Agent, Ergo Proxy, Samurai Champloo, Black Lagoon, etc.) Sorry your Lupin discs didn't turn out to be that great.
Don't get me wrong. I love the DVD's. I've stocked up the video quality to the fact that it's a thirty-year-old cartoon in standard definition. It's not like it's Mill Creek quality. The only other Geneon DVD's I owned were a couple of Samurai Champloo volumes I've since sold and The Secret of Mamo which was a fine release, especially the booklet that recreates the original program from the theatrical debut. (I do have the complete Paranoia Agent, though it's a bootleg I bought before finding out how to spot one.) Somehow I wasn't aware of the company's reputation, though I was disappointed when it went under.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #43
Power Member

Oct 2010
The Milky Way
Australia Blu-ray Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblegum2032 View Post
The film will still be interlaced (unless Discotek know how to inverse it), so itíll be almost exactly like the VAP and Studio Canal releases. I already have the Japanese version, and whilst serviceable, someone needs to author a new master to get it up to scratch. I don't really want to buy another 1080i copy again.
Japan is going to release a Miyazaki box-set that includes apparently a remastered Castle of Cagliostro so who knows....
Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #44

Oct 2012
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbie View Post
Japan is going to release a Miyazaki box-set that includes apparently a remastered Castle of Cagliostro so who knows....

http://disney-studio.jp/news/bddvd_detail.jsp?id=1966

"最新HDマスターを使用した デジタルリマスター版DVD&ブルーレイ発売決定!"

says they will be using the most recent HD master digitally remastered for the DVD and Blu-ray. Interpret that how you will, but sounds to me as if they'll be using the transfer already found on the Vap release. Hope this isn't the case.

Last edited by Bubblegum2032; 04-01-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:57 AM   #45

Oct 2012
-
-
-

Quote:
If it is the case, how bad do you think it will look compared to the VAP release? Can't Studio Ghibli work their magic on this BD to make it look remarkably better?
You can only do so much with the source master. I’m sure it will be inversed into a progressive picture. Both Blu-ray releases since the Studio Canal version have at least managed that.
Apart from that there isn’t really much they can do. Vap’s release already had a crazy high video bit-rate and audio was superb. Perhaps fix the telecine wobble and try for a more even grain distribution? I don’t know really.
You also have special features to contend with as well. Their inclusion will no doubt take much needed space away from the feature film. Would be funny if the Vap release actually looked better lol. Though I doubt that as surely their encoding techniques have become more efficient since 2008.

Best to wait for more cemented details before jumping the gun I guess.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Minnesota

Definite buy of Cagliostro if Discotek gets the new master. If there really is one.

Otherwise I'll hold out for a standalone JP release.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:53 AM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA
Smile

So deepdiscount was having an anime sale... and long story short, here's more Lupin:

Of the three, I've only ever watched The Mystery of Mamo so I've got some viewing to look forward to. Man, my Lupin III collection is getting absurd. This is the third copy of Mamo I own (I also have the Pioneer release and a VHS copy). If I get Discotek's release of Cagliostro, that will be the fourth time I've bought that movie. I even got the Lupin video game for PS2. Some might call me obsessive.

About that Miyazaki box. It would be great were it not so expensive. More interesting than the possibility of a new Castle of Cagliostro transfer is that now we have a definitive date for the release of Spirited Away (it's July 16). After coming out in Japan, it's only a matter of time before it arrives elsewhere.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:35 AM   #48

Oct 2012
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat III View Post
So deepdiscount was having an anime sale... and long story short, here's more Lupin:

[Show spoiler]
My Bye Bye Liberty Crisis also just recently arrived (along with vol 1 of Ranma Ĺ). Unfortunately its case is somewhat misshapen and warped. Those eco-lite cases just bend far too easily for my liking. Its not bad enough that I seek a replacement so Iím hoping it will straighten out with time once it is in between fellow DVDs on the shelf.

I considered purchasing Green vs Red upon its release as well but decided against it, as I would place it along side the Return of Pycal as something Lupin related I would not wish to see more than once. The compulsive collector in me still wants to get it, though all I have to do is remember how I felt after viewing the OVA and that usually puts those urges to bed for a while.

I wonder if Discotek will release Mamo on Blu-ray down the line. The Japanese release is lovely (no Cagliostro type shenanigans here), and coupled with Discotekís many audio options and supplementary material would make for the ultimate release.
I could definitely see myself buying it a third time.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
USA

Quote:
I wonder if Discotek will release Mamo on Blu-ray down the line. The Japanese release is lovely (no Cagliostro type shenanigans here), and coupled with Discotek’s many audio options and supplementary material would make for the ultimate release.
I could definitely see myself buying it a third time.
I hope many more Lupin III titles make it to Blu-ray. Discotek seems to really value the series and they have been slowly moving towards more and more Blu-ray releases, so the possibilities look good. If The Castle of Cagliostro sells well, I think we'll definitely see more titles in HD.

Discotek previously released Isao Takahata's early films Panda! Go, Panda! (1972) and Panda! Go, Panda! The Rainy-Day Circus (1973) on DVD, both of which were written by Hayao Miyazaki. I've hesitated buying that release because I'm hoping it eventually makes it to Blu-ray as well.

Last edited by MJW; 04-04-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #50

Oct 2012
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
I hope many more Lupin III titles make it to Blu-ray. Discotek seems to really value the series and they have been slowly moving towards more and more Blu-ray releases, so the possibilities look good. If The Castle of Cagliostro sells well, I think we'll definitely see more titles in HD.

Discotek previously released Isao Takahata's early films Panda! Go, Panda! (1972) and Panda! Go, Panda! The Rainy-Day Circus (1973) on DVD, both of which were written by Hayao Miyazaki. I've hesitated buying that release because I'm hoping it eventually makes it to Blu-ray as well.
Panda Kopanda is one of those rare instances where a Blu-ray version doesnít exist within Japan. Like Venus Wars, the only HD release of these films available is from Italy.
So who authored these HD scans? One would imagine it must have been the Japanese studios, but they are yet to put transfer to disc.
Discotekís Panda Go Panda and Venus Wars DVDs seem to be sourced from these new masters, so hopefully Blu-ray releases are in the cards a la Unico.
Though like you said, they are slow on the BD uptake. So who know if or when that will eventuate.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #51
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
USA

Quote:
Panda Kopanda is one of those rare instances where a Blu-ray version doesnít exist within Japan. Like Venus Wars, the only HD release of these films available is from Italy.
Italy is a good place to be an anime fan. From what I know, Italians are big Lupin fans, which is why they have so many of the lovable thief's movies on Blu-ray while the rest of the world (sans Japan natch) only have Cagliostro, if that.

Personally, I would also like to have Mamo in HD, though given it's animation, I don't see that being a huge improvement. Given my tendencies, it would still, of course, be a sure buy. Of the other Lupin movies/specials, I'm hoping for Farewell to Nostradamus. It was released theatrically and looks great. Of the titles Funimation released, that was the best. There's a Japanese version so an HD master exists, though I'm not holding my breath.

Quote:
I considered purchasing Green vs Red upon its release as well but decided against it, as I would place it along side the Return of Pycal as something Lupin related I would not wish to see more than once. The compulsive collector in me still wants to get it, though all I have to do is remember how I felt after viewing the OVA and that usually puts those urges to bed for a while.
You've more will power than I. Just this morning I received a package of another volume of the red jacket Lupin III series. The DVD will be sold off. I bought it just to get the bonus collectible Jigen toy.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Minnesota

Is this just a repackaging of Discotek's series 1 release with a lower MSRP?
Old 04-05-2014, 03:03 AM   #53

Oct 2012
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriztoffer Swank View Post
Is this just a repackaging of Discotek's series 1 release with a lower MSRP?
Yeah itís a re-release, albeit one minus a disc as they've omitted all extras and 5.1 audio track. Only one of the Pilot films remains.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:11 AM   #54
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Minnesota

Quote:
From what I've heard about that Venus Wars Blu-ray, is Italy pretty much just made it for themselves.
Kaze in France also did their own transfer for Street Fighter II: The Movie that's really good. It's nice to have somebody making the telecines when Japanese studios aren't.

I just wish Discotek would put out Venus Wars on Blu-ray. Their DVD looks great and is sourced from the HD master, but a full-on Blu-ray would be preferable.

Quote:
Yeah itís a re-release, albeit one minus a disc as they've omitted all extras and 5.1 audio track. Only one of the Pilot films remains.
Ah, OK. Glad I picked up the first one on sale. Wouldn't wanna miss out on the goodies.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #55
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Minnesota

At least Discotek does solid encoding, so it's like a near-HD image. Their DVDs have better encoding and grain structure than Blu-rays from Shout! Factory do.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:25 AM   #56
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...one-anime-film

First screens for the new Jigen movie. Bummed that it's only 51 minutes long!
Old 02-04-2015, 11:07 PM   #57

Aug 2014

Hey I know this thread is almost a year old but there are no other threads pertaining to Lupin so I thought I'd resurrect this one to ask a question.

Are there two releases of Lupin's 1st series/season on DVD? One was released by Discotek in 2012 and a newer one was released on 2014 (with a different cover but it's hard to find any more info on it). These are both the first series right, and is there a difference in the two releases?
Old 02-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #58
Special Member

Jul 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barracuda View Post
Hey I know this thread is almost a year old but there are no other threads pertaining to Lupin so I thought I'd resurrect this one to ask a question.

Are there two releases of Lupin's 1st series/season on DVD? One was released by Discotek in 2012 and a newer one was released on 2014 (with a different cover but it's hard to find any more info on it). These are both the first series right, and is there a difference in the two releases?
I cant remember specificly but im pretty sure the new version lacks something the older one have. I remember when I went to buy it something made me get the earlier release.

Last edited by Bobo1313; 02-04-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:39 PM   #59

Oct 2012
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barracuda View Post

quoting myself from many moons ago:

Quote:
Yeah itís a re-release, albeit minus a disc as they've omitted all extras and 5.1 audio track. Only one of the Pilot films remain.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:12 AM   #60

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo1313 View Post
I cant remember specificly but im pretty sure the new version lacks something the older one have. I remember when I went to buy it something made me get the earlier release.
Quote:
quoting myself from many moons ago:
Wow that was quick. Thanks for your responses. So the later one is a re-release and isn't as good. Perfect, all I need to know. Earlier version it is then.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime