Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Blu-ray)
$123.49

Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$20.39

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Tokyo Ghoul:re - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Giant Robo (Blu-ray)
$44.56

Fruits Basket: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$25.84

Overlord III: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$38.76

High School DxD Hero: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$37.99

Sailor Moon Sailor Stars: Season 5, Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Galaxy Express 999 TV Set 1 (Blu-ray)
$44.56

Fruits Basket: Season One, Part One (Blu-ray)
$34.47

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 02-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark
Arrow A Silent Voice/Koe no Katachi

Since the Japanese release is up for pre-order I figured this, to me at least, highly anticipated movie needed its own thread. No other threads were compatible, since I don't expect the Japanese release to have subs

I've put in my order anyway though, since I'm sure I'll be able to find subs and I definitely don't want to wait longer than I have to.

Anyone else a bit jazzed about this one?
Thanks given by:
alvarez468 (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
Power Member

Dec 2011
The Room of Space and Time

I'm looking forward to this one. As soon as an English friendly release is available im picking it up.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Naiera (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Anime Limited got it in the UK, so we will have one in the near future.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

Not as near as May though
Old 02-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

I was kinda hoping for a small theatrical run.
I guess they probably did and it's another one of those "things I miss by not living in a select handful of coastal metropolitan cities".
Old 02-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #6
Special Member

Apr 2011
Valley of the Sun

This is on the top of my list next to Kimi no Na wa. Will patiently wait for english subs release. I hope one of the Korean retailers will give us a nice lenticular slip edition.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #7

Mar 2012
China

Been waiting for this a long time, can't wait to see it when the blu-ray is out. The Limited Edition will be a two disc set with a bonus blu-ray. The film will have an audio commentary, KyoAni haven't done such treatment to their anime movies for a long time.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:20 PM   #8

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by qw0aszx View Post
Been waiting for this a long time, can't wait to see it when the blu-ray is out. The Limited Edition will be a two disc set with a bonus blu-ray. The film will have an audio commentary, KyoAni haven't done such treatment to their anime movies for a long time.
Everything except the Munto series (OVAs, theatrical OVA, TV series) prior to 2012's Love, Chuunibyo, and Other Delusions was published by another company besides Kyoto Animation, meaning that they did not determine what would be included on the home release.

Kadokawa Pictures:
Full Metal Panic!
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Lucky Star
Nichijou
Hyouka

TBS:
AIR
Kanon
Clannad/After Story
K-On!

Since then, here's how things have been published:

Kyoto Animation:
Love, Chunibyo, & Other Delusions (2 seasons and movie)
Tamako Market/Love Story
Free!/High Speed! (2 seasons/movie)
Beyond the Boundary (1 season, 1 recap film, 1 sequel film)
Sound! Euphonium (2 seasons, 1 recap film)
Myraid Colors Phantom World
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
A Silent Voice

Kadokawa Shoten (absorbed Kadokawa Pictures in 2013):
Amagi Brilliant Park

I'll point out that ALL of the releases published by Kyoto Animation except for the recap movie for Beyond the Boundary (no commentary tracks) and the odd numbered Free! (s1) releases (cast commentary tracks on the even number releases) had audio commentary from staff AND cast members on different audio tracks. Amagi also had both kinds of commentary tracks, though its cast tracks were split between cast and in-character commentaries.

The only reason why the LE BD version for A Silent Voice has a second BD is because of the special produced to advertise the film on TV. Past film releases have had stage greetings, trailers, commercials, and such on them and could fit on one BD 50GB. Adding a 30+ minute long feature in addition to that is too much for one disc.

This isn't uncommon for KyoAni to make this kind of bonus feature. Love, Chunibyo, & Other Delusions had a series of shorts where the main female seiyuu visited Studio 1 during their visit to Kyoto for a preview event and another series of shorts during two preview events with the seiyuu. Tamako Market had a different series of shorts with director Yamada talking with different staff members about their work and the preview event stage greetings. Sound! Euphonium had a series of shorts featuring footage of the Freshman Wind Ensemble at the Senzoku Gakuen College of Music performing the songs for the show and the preview event footage.

I can understand not knowing about this because seiyuu rights can be difficult (and/or costly) to get in English and translating these takes away time for another show, so Sentai will cheap out and not include them. Chunibyo, Tamako, Boundary, and Amagi are sold by TBS, who predominantly works with Sentai; Ponycan USA focuses on including the same content on BD and DVD for their sets, so they couldn't include these features with 5 episodes on DVD.

Long story short: almost all of KyoAni's releases have had audio commentaries and a good amount of bonus content.
Thanks given by:
panaino (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #9

May 2015

I am very excited for this! I binge read the manga a while back and was elated to hear it was getting animated. I'll have to wait and see if it gets released over here, I need subtitles lol.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

Of course it's getting a US and UK release It's just a question of when.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

I wouldn't be entirely sure on a US release given how many anime movies (even when they're sequels to series that sold well) have been ignored lately, even when it's KyoAni. Tamako Love Story (2014) and the Chu2koi movie (2013) both remain unlicensed for example. Even the Free! movie (2015) still remains unlicensed.

Some other examples of ignored stuff...
-Sora no Otoshimono Final: Eternal My Master (2014)
-Accel World: Infinite Burst (2016)
-Date A Live: Mayuri Judgement (2015)
-Attack on Titan recap movies (2014/2015)-Recaps have been licensed before, so...
-Beyond the Boundary: I'll Be Here (2015)

Last edited by BigOnAnime; 02-06-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOnAnime View Post
I wouldn't be entirely sure on a US release given how many anime movies (even when they're sequels to series that sold well) have been ignored lately, even when it's KyoAni. Tamako Love Story (2014) and the Chu2koi movie (2013) both remain unlicensed for example. Even the Free! movie (2015) still remains unlicensed.

Some other examples of ignored stuff...
-Sora no Otoshimono Final: Eternal My Master (2014)
-Accel World: Infinite Burst (2016)
-Date A Live: Mayuri Judgement (2015)
-Attack on Titan recap movies (2014/2015)-Recaps have been licensed before, so...
-Beyond the Boundary: I'll Be Here (2015)
Beyond the Boundary: I'll Be Here and Sora no Otoshimono Final: Eternal My Master hurt the most as they are literally the finales of the series. Don't care much for recap movies.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA
Default Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) 2017

The Japanese Blu-ray releases on 17 May, just a few days, and it's my first Japanese import.
The film has been licensed by Anime Limited in the U.K. and will be availble subbed later this month on iTunes- so far it's the only OFFICAL subbed release.
The film is released by Pony Canyon, so I'm assuming they'll license it in the US. Viz Europe has the European license (obviously) and has a screening at yeh Canne Film Festival.
If you want the Japanese BD here's some links:

Standard Edition:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/A-Silent-Voice-Blu-ray/dp/B01ND0B5VO?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag =bluraycom-22&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creative ASIN=B01ND0B5VO&m=AN1VRQENFRJN5

Limited Edition:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/A-Silent-Voice-Blu-ray/dp/B01NC02ASR?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag =bluraycom-22&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creative ASIN=B01NC02ASR&m=AN1VRQENFRJN5

This thread will be updated with stats from the Japanese BD, as well as international releases.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

The Standard release has just the film.
The Limited edition has the film and a second disc of special features, including anime music videos. It's in a digipack (I honestly hate them- I'd rather have a nice DVD case instead), and none of these have English Subtitles.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

Alreadythread
Old 05-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

Anyone having any luck finding subs in anticipation of the JP release a few days from now?
Old 05-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
Anyone having any luck finding subs in anticipation of the JP release a few days from now?
Nope. Kizumonogatari was subbed within 2 weeks of the Japanese BD release, so I'd expect something similar. It would be ideal to rip the subs from the U.K. iTunes release, but it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

EDIT: Apparently it did have English subs in some foreign showing, as there's a YouTube video of what appears to be one of the last scenes with what looks like Spanish and English subs. Both! I didn't watch all of it (only a few seconds to see what it was), so that's that. Not linking it to avoid spoilers.

Last edited by professorwho; 05-15-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Thanks given by:
Naiera (05-15-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:43 AM   #18

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
I can find anything pretty quick. I'll let you know when someone releases subs for this movie. No subs now because the movie isn't even out yet.
Thanks given by:
professorwho (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 04:04 AM   #19
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

Instead of googling subs, I'll just PM you from now on
Old 05-16-2017, 04:49 AM   #20

Feb 2014

Hopefully it's soon. Usually it takes about a week depending on how well known the movie is.

Amazon JP is already charging me for it
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime