Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$20.39

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$12.23
11 hrs ago
Millennium Actress (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Fruits Basket: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$25.84

Galaxy Express 999 TV Set 1 (Blu-ray)
$44.56

Giant Robo (Blu-ray)
$44.56

A Certain Scientific Railgun S (Blu-ray)
$23.83

High School DxD Hero: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$37.99

Tales of Zestiria the X: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge / The Return of Cooler (Blu-ray)
$11.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 04-21-2017, 02:18 AM   #1

Sep 2010
Default Dragon Ball Super Blu-rays

Dragon Ball Super (Series):

Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Movie)

Last edited by LordCrumb; 12-08-2019 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:32 AM   #2

May 2009
New Zealand

Hideous artwork... fingers crossed that really is just temporary.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
Banned

Jul 2014

Well Super does have some hideous artwork in its first bits. Frankly, wake me up when they start getting to the new stuff and not just the dragged out crappy versions of the movies.
Thanks given by:
Zillamon51 (07-24-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
US

Wow that is a bad cover. Even if I wanted these, which I don't cause the series is shit past the nostalgia, I would wait for larger sets than 13 episodes. Just like I did with Fairy Tail.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Draculi View Post
Well Super does have some hideous artwork in its first bits. Frankly, wake me up when they start getting to the new stuff and not just the dragged out crappy versions of the movies.
majority of the bad animation got fixed fornthe early episodes on home releases in japan,as well as reruns.no doubt we will get those versions with these
Old 04-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #6
Banned

Sep 2011
New York, New York

I've been a huge fan of DBZ for nearly twenty years now; I own the entire series and all of the movies on Blu-Ray. However, I abhor Dragon Ball Super, because it's nothing more than horribly illustrated and horribly animated crappy fan service. Hence, I couldn't care less about this release.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:31 AM   #7
Banned

Jul 2014

You guys should check out the arcs written by Toriyama (Universe 6 and 7 tournament, Black Goku, and the current Multiverse Tournament). THose have been top notch, especially the Black Goku arc, which is hands down one of the best arcs of the entire franchise. It goes right up there with the Red Ribbon, Freeza, and Cell sagas.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:54 AM   #8

Sep 2010
Default Dragon Ball Super: Part 2 (10/3/2017)

The Golden Frieza Saga of DBS will release on BD and DVD on October 3, 2017.

https://www.funimation.com/shop/home...ray-fun-44558/
Old 07-15-2017, 07:01 AM   #9
Banned

Jul 2014

Looks like I will start buying the show at Volume 3. Then again, maybe I should just wait for them to release cheaper collections.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:01 AM   #10

May 2008

Quote:
You guys should check out the arcs written by Toriyama (Universe 6 and 7 tournament, Black Goku, and the current Multiverse Tournament). THose have been top notch, especially the Black Goku arc, which is hands down one of the best arcs of the entire franchise. It goes right up there with the Red Ribbon, Freeza, and Cell sagas.
Weren't they all supposed to be written by Toriyama? His idea for Beerus came from his cat so it seems like it was him writing since the beginning. A work of art's worst enemy is its creator - Super is a big example of that, especially the arcs you brought up. So many facts established by Z have been retconned for no reason and the storytelling is terrible.

When watching an episode of it there's always at least one part that makes me think of when Stewie(Family Guy) watched Bewitched, says, "Mmm-hmm..", travels to Will Farrell's house, slaps him.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #11
Power Member

Jun 2011
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsuomi View Post
Weren't they all supposed to be written by Toriyama?
The first two arcs as written by Toriyama are the movie versions. The versions as presented in the series is an adaptation of those.

Quote:
A work of art's worst enemy is its creator
Not really. Just because you don't like the end result doesn't mean the creator is the enemy of his own creation. That accusation doesn't even make sense.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:16 PM   #12
Banned

Jul 2014

Quote:
Weren't they all supposed to be written by Toriyama?
No, he wrote Battle of Gods and Resurrection F, not the versions Toei did in Super.

Quote:
So many facts established by Z have been retconned for no reason
The only thing that has been retconned is the 10 Years Later bit. Pan will now have to be 8 and Bra 7.

Quote:
and the storytelling is terrible.
That I can't help you with. I find Super to be hit or miss. The Black Goku arc was a hit, Goku hiring Hit to fight him was a hit, but taking like 15 episodes to get to the current tournament was a miss. I love Freeza's trolling though, so that was a hit with me. Freeza is always delightful to see on screen, especially hearing Nakao's voice.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:07 PM   #13

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonan View Post
Not really. Just because you don't like the end result doesn't mean the creator is the enemy of his own creation. That accusation doesn't even make sense.
When you start taking what's already been established and changing it, then yeah, an artist can be his creation's enemy. Southpark made a couple good episodes about directors doing this. Should make perfect sense - a creator taking a work that's considered classic, then changing it. George Lucas did it all the time.. A lot of people don't like that, not just me.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
S.E. Michigan
Japan

I enjoy the show, watch new eps on YouTube every week. But I'll wait to start buying Blus until they inevitably start releasing larger collections.

The first two arcs are pretty pointless. I really enjoy the Black arc, and the current Universe Survival arc. Looking forward to eventually revisiting all the original stuff dubbed.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #15

May 2008

Quote:
The only thing that has been retconned is the 10 Years Later bit. Pan will now have to be 8 and Bra 7.

That I can't help you with. I find Super to be hit or miss. The Black Goku arc was a hit, Goku hiring Hit to fight him was a hit, but taking like 15 episodes to get to the current tournament was a miss. I love Freeza's trolling though, so that was a hit with me. Freeza is always delightful to see on screen, especially hearing Nakao's voice.
Nameks creating the dragon balls, Potara fusion being permanent, Frieza destroying the Saiyans out of fear, off the top of my head - things like that are now inaccurate in Super.

Bullets hurting z-fighters, Gohan losing his ultimate power a year, or less, after Beerus showing up, Frieza being more powerful than Buu after only training for 4 months, Vegeta attaining god ki by himself even though you can't unless you get other Saiyans to give it to you.
Black arc was cool, but a lot of it bothered me: Black being the only one to get zenkais from fighting Goku, Vegeta, and Trunks; a bullet actually hurting Black lol; Vegeta saying Black was losing to him because Black didn't know how to utilize Saiyan cells even though Black was the only one getting zenkais, and Vegeta was only winning because he spent 2 days in the room of spirit and time; Trunks mastering the evil containment wave in like 5 minutes, using the spirit bomb with no training, not to mention the weakest spirit bomb ever created cut Zamasu in half.

Goku hiring Hit was cool, but I thought it was ridiculous that he brought himself back to life with that ki ball. Frieza is a great villain but I wish they would've come up with a better reason for him attaining such overwhelming power than training for such a short time. Master Roshi, too..He has to be stronger than Cell now to put Tien in danger of losing his life. I miss the funi Frieza voice actor.

Also, Goku, Vegeta, Gohan(ultimate again) should be stronger than Beerus now, but they still act like he's a threat. Black said he killed all the other gods in the future, besides Zeno, and that was before he even attained SSR. The way other Saiyans could turn SS by focusing ki in their back was ridiculous, too. Android 17 gaining the power that he did for no reason gets me, too. The androids have no natural ki that they can make stronger. Their strength comes from artificial enhancements that have limits.

Yeah, it's picky of me, and it's my own problem, but that stuff bothers me.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:50 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
US

Super is so bad. Just a rehash of the movies and the same storylines from Z. How many tournaments do we need really. The only thing the series has going for it is the nostalgia.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamcero View Post
Super is so bad. Just a rehash of the movies and the same storylines from Z. How many tournaments do we need really. The only thing the series has going for it is the nostalgia.
goku black and samazu were the best thing in the series.its not a bad series but its something i rather binge watch then waiting a week for a new episode
Old 07-25-2017, 06:12 AM   #18
Banned

Jul 2014

Quote:
Nameks creating the dragon balls,
The Nameks still created the dragon balls in Universe 7.

Quote:
Potara fusion being permanent,
The only person who said it was permanent was an old geezer who was stuck in a stone for centuries.

Quote:
Frieza destroying the Saiyans out of fear, off the top of my head
Freeza had always destroyed the Saiyans out of fear that a Super Saiyan would come about to stop him. How is this contradicting anything?

You also also forgetting that the series has always contradicted itself.

Artificial Human 8 was created by Dr Flappe originally only to be retconned into Dr Gero.

When you are sent to Hell, your soul is removed from its body, yet the Ginyu Force, Cold, Freeza, Cell, Babidi, etc, were all fine when they watched Goku's fight against Boo.

Lunch just vanishes completely.

Goten and Trunks were born without tails.

Now I'm not saying you aren't wrong about there being issues, as Trunks, Goten, and Marron still look the same age despite it being 3-4 years later as continuity has never been its strong point, but those few above are not really contradictions.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #19
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

With what you would call the Heaven portion of the Other World, the people who have done the greatest deeds get to keep their form while dead. So with Hell, I would imagine villains who have done the worst deeds keep their form. It's just the average people who only appear as a soul.

With Goten and Trunks, they could have been born with a tail but just was immediately cut off. Though Piccolo blew up the moon, so no need to worry about any giant ape forms of them, but they are being raised as normal children or at least that was likely the plan till they started going Super Saiyan at such a young age.

Lunch/Launch is just out looking for Tien and he is likely still trying to be as far away from her as possible.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #20
Power Member

Jun 2011
-
-

Quote:
When you start taking what's already been established and changing it, then yeah, an artist can be his creation's enemy.
No, what the characters think they know and what actually is are two different things. And so far, virtually nothing has been contradicted. Retconned? Sure, just like in the original manga. Retcons aren't contradictions.

Quote:
Southpark made a couple good episodes about directors doing this. Should make perfect sense - a creator taking a work that's considered classic, then changing it. George Lucas did it all the time.. A lot of people don't like that, not just me.
You can like and dislike whatever you want, but that's as far as it goes. Lucas (or any other artist) doing what he wants with his work is his right and he's not an enemy because of that. Your preferences are irrelevant. Nobody is stopping you from doing what you want with your work either, and nobody should.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime