Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96
15 hrs ago
Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Blu-ray)
$123.49

Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$20.39

Your Name (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Tokyo Ghoul:re - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Fruits Basket: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Giant Robo (Blu-ray)
$44.56

Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$25.84

Sailor Moon Sailor Stars: Season 5, Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Galaxy Express 999 TV Set 1 (Blu-ray)
$44.56

Tales of Zestiria the X: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$30.06

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 11-10-2019, 12:57 AM   #341
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Speaking of Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution, "it will be the first Pokemon movie since 2010 to have its Japanese home video release come out before the English dub premiere."

https://twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/...69920021975040

A PR for Disney XD confirmed there is no airing for the movie in December. This could change though, I'd say.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:22 AM   #342

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyG View Post
IMDB isn't the most reliable of sources. It should always be taken with a grain of salt. I occasionally contribute to IMDB and fix errors, but often, the moderators don't bother to implement the changes that I have contributed, which is quite frustrating.
Totally agree on IMDB being not the most reliable. With that said and done as of right now the film does have an PG rating which if that holds would be the first Pokemon anime film to get rated that.

Also I saw the four Miramax owned Pokemon films on the shelves at Wal-Mart for $3.96 each film. What is odd is at least one of them retained all the extras of the original DVD release including the 4x3 pan and scan aspect ratio. The other ones however have a newer 16x9 Widescreen ratio... and no extras. I keep hoping they will eventually re-release those four on Blu-Ray as the several Blu-Ray releases for those four is now going for absurd amounts on Amazon/eBay.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:20 AM   #343

Aug 2019
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misioon_Odisea View Post
Speaking of the Diamond and Pearl movie releases, are the encodes on the 2-disc regular set released earlier this year exactly the same as the ones on the 4-disc Steelbook? I imagine they upgraded the discs from four BD-25s to two BD-50s in order to fit two movies per disc. But are there any changes in picture quality? I don't see why they would alter anything, but I'd like to confirm anyway.
If the four movies had been initially released on BD-25s, then I imagine that they would be recycling the original encodes for the 2x BD-50 release.
Thanks given by:
sagadego (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 06:46 AM   #344
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2014

I hope Mewtwo Returns comes back in print one of these days, even on DVD. It's my favorite piece of what I've seen of the Pokemon anime (my viewing is almost entirely limited to the Indigo League episodes and the first few movies), and it was what introduced me to the franchise. I still have my Warner clamshell VHS, and the DVD is going for scalper prices.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:44 AM   #345

Aug 2019
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
I hope Mewtwo Returns comes back in print one of these days, even on DVD. It's my favorite piece of what I've seen of the Pokemon anime (my viewing is almost entirely limited to the Indigo League episodes and the first few movies), and it was what introduced me to the franchise. I still have my Warner clamshell VHS, and the DVD is going for scalper prices.
I would quite like that too. Unfortunately, like the first three movies (as they were originally released by Warner Bros.) are unlikely to contain any bonus features in the event of a re-release.

I wouldn't mind buying a used local copy if they're in good condition, but the fact that people are expecting AU$60+ for a used DVD is laughable.

Also, due to its made-for-TV roots, I doubt that they'll bother to remaster it in the unlikely event of a re-release, though it would be appreciated. I think I still have the VHS lying around.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #346

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
I see a number of copies on eBay for roughly $10 so that's far from scalper pricing.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #347
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

What would it take for the Pokémon Company to release its series and movies in Japanese with optional subtitles?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even in Japan they haven't released the series all on home DVD release though some of it is available via rental DVDs.

I'm only interested in watching the Pokémon series (276 eps.) in its original Japanese with English subs, but that seems impossible.
Thanks given by:
TTC1984 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #348
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by demomanTNA View Post
I see a number of copies on eBay for roughly $10 so that's far from scalper pricing.
There's a lot of bootlegs out there of Mewtwo Returns. The same guy who was creating his own Blu-ray releases of the first three movies also created knockoffs of Mewtwo Returns in standard DVD cases, rather than the snapcase.

I wouldn't buy any copies that are not in the WB snapcase packaging if I were you.
Thanks given by:
demomanTNA (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #349

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
There's a lot of bootlegs out there of Mewtwo Returns. The same guy who was creating his own Blu-ray releases of the first three movies also created knockoffs of Mewtwo Returns in standard DVD cases, rather than the snapcase.

I wouldn't buy any copies that are not in the WB snapcase packaging if I were you.
You are right I wasn't fully awake when I made my previous post. Still I do see several authentic copies on eBay for within $15 with minor case damage. Maybe I'll run into one at one of my local thrift stores I did find the original WB snapcase release for The Power Of One... I mean Pokemon 2000 for $2 in near new like condition alongside an VHS copy for 50 cents. So perhaps in due time I'll find Mewtwo Returns for ultra cheap as this particular thrift store doesn't hit up eBay/Amazon to find out the value on stuff like this.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:32 AM   #350

Aug 2019
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
What would it take for the Pokémon Company to release its series and movies in Japanese with optional subtitles?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even in Japan they haven't released the series all on home DVD release though some of it is available via rental DVDs.

I'm only interested in watching the Pokémon series (276 eps.) in its original Japanese with English subs, but that seems impossible.
That'll never happen, just as we'll never see the original series rescanned at 2K/4K for prosperity (certainly not in its entirety anyway) as the animated series is just a means to spruik the games and merchandise. And thanks to certain nutters in the U.S. who cry oppression over even the most innocuous of things, one can't blame TPCi for erasing or otherwise downplaying certain aspects of the franchise's long history in order to protect their family-friendly image. The recent banning of the Passimian (?) episode was one of the most ridiculous examples of censorship I have ever seen. No other country in the world would have had a problem with it, but we can always trust the U.S. to cry "racism" over every damn thing and impose their distorted worldview on the rest of us (and most countries seem to use the U.S. dub as a basis for their own localisations, as opposed to the original Japanese).

Frankly, I think we're lucky to be even getting the U.S. dub on DVD at all.

At best, you may find some passionate fans producing their own subtitles, but TPCi doesn't care enough about the extreme niche of hardcore fans that may wish to see the series as it was originally intended (at least not enough to swallow the cost and the potential backlash that may result due to some of elements that may be considered risqué in certain cultures). And even if a Japanese edition were to be released, say, I would suspect that certain episodes would still be omitted (such as the infamous Porygon episode).
Old 11-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #351
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Quote:
Frankly, I think we're lucky to be even getting the U.S. dub on DVD at all.
Very true. The wait for Johto Journeys was painful. That season was out of print for like 12+ years before the complete collection re-release in 2015. I managed to complete the single volume collection a few years prior and then sold it a year before the re-release. Didn't lose too much money but man was that a pricey season to collect.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:46 PM   #352

Apr 2009

Quote:
The recent banning of the Passimian (?) episode was one of the most ridiculous examples of censorship I have ever seen. No other country in the world would have had a problem with it, but we can always trust the U.S. to cry "racism" over every damn thing and impose their distorted worldview on the rest of us (and most countries seem to use the U.S. dub as a basis for their own localisations, as opposed to the original Japanese).
I mean it's not like as if they couldn't just recolor the grey of the Passimian to say green or blue like they did with Hi-Jynx now being purple... right?

Quote:
At best, you may find some passionate fans producing their own subtitles, but TPCi doesn't care enough about the extreme niche of hardcore fans that may wish to see the series as it was originally intended (at least not enough to swallow the cost and the potential backlash that may result due to some of elements that may be considered risqué in certain cultures). And even if a Japanese edition were to be released, say, I would suspect that certain episodes would still be omitted (such as the infamous Porygon episode).
What's funny at least to me is that they could easily reanimate the offending spots on the Porygon episode. But I guess despite Pokemon being one of the biggest franchises in the world... it must cost "too much" to do that or reanimate all the previous episodes so instead we ended up with annoying brightness dimming and frame slowdowns.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #353

Jan 2019

Quote:
What's funny at least to me is that they could easily reanimate the offending spots on the Porygon episode. But I guess despite Pokemon being one of the biggest franchises in the world... it must cost "too much" to do that or reanimate all the previous episodes so instead we ended up with annoying brightness dimming and frame slowdowns.
It's more than that. They're trying to erase that episode from existence altogether. They don't even allow Porygon or its evolution to appear in the series anymore because I guess they think bringing it back would remind people of the incident. (Even though it was Pikachu zapping a missile that triggered the flashing lights)
Thanks given by:
demomanTNA (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #354
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeakyboots View Post
It's more than that. They're trying to erase that episode from existence altogether. They don't even allow Porygon or its evolution to appear in the series anymore because I guess they think bringing it back would remind people of the incident. (Even though it was Pikachu zapping a missile that triggered the flashing lights)
Kadabra has suffered a similar fate due to the Uri Geller lawsuit in 1999. There hasn't been a Kadabra card printed since Wizards of the Coast lost the rights in 2003.
Thanks given by:
demomanTNA (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 11:29 PM   #355

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeakyboots View Post
Principal Oak made an Porygon reference (and facial impersonation) on the first Sun And Moon episode. And while not part of the series... Porygon and the evolutions are all in Pokemon Go as well.

Last edited by demomanTNA; 11-20-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:36 AM   #356

Aug 2019
Australia

Quote:
I mean it's not like as if they couldn't just recolor the grey of the Passimian to say green or blue like they did with Hi-Jynx now being purple... right?
But why change the colour at all? Since when was "grey face" offensive? Who in their right mind would even make such an absurd association? It's not as if the Japanese were responsible for the oppression of African American people. And why bar distribution from the rest of the world?

Quote:
What's funny at least to me is that they could easily reanimate the offending spots on the Porygon episode.
But there's nothing to reanimate, really. All they have to do is slow down the brief red/blue flash (caused by Pikachu, not Porygon; yet Porygon and its evolutions get axed from the anime) that was responsible for causing the seizures back in 1997. Problem solved.

I think it may have something to do with the Japanese government having banned the episode entirely, and hence why an edited version was not aired later or otherwise extended for international distribution, which is a shame, because back in the day, I was really anticipating the Porygon episode, and it wasn't until several years later that I discovered why. The Porygon family (especially Porygon2) are quite possibly my favourite of all Pokémon. I'm a little indifferent to Porygon-Z, but I was still super happy when it was introduced in Gen IV.

Quote:
Principal Oak made an Porygon reference (and facial impersonation) on the first Sun And Moon episode.
I think the Porygon family still appear in "Who's That Pokémon" segments, and sometimes in the background (as part of montages/retrospectives and the like) but it has never appeared in-character.
Thanks given by:
demomanTNA (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 03:46 AM   #357

Jan 2015

Quote:
I think it may have something to do with the Japanese government having banned the episode entirely, and hence why an edited version was not aired later or otherwise extended for international distribution,
I think it's more along the lines of the recent banning of The Simpsons episode "Stark Raving Dad". That decision was made by the producers after the Leaving Neverland documentary aired, and found themselves uncomfortable celebrating Michael Jackson in hindsight of allegations coming back to the public eye. This article (http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/compar...nto/ep038.html) quotes a radio show where it was asked if Cyber Soldier Porygon would air again, to which the host, voice actress Inoku Iyuyama, answered that the producers would like fans to treat the episode as if it never existed. They felt guilty for the incident and did not wish to remind people of it.
Thanks given by:
demomanTNA (11-21-2019), klasma (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 04:27 AM   #358

Aug 2019
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaun6899 View Post
producers would like fans to treat the episode as if it never existed. They felt guilty for the incident and did not wish to remind people of it.
And I completely understand that considering what an unprecedented disaster it was for the show and the brand as a whole. It's annoying that the Porygon family were dumped from the anime as a result though.

Perhaps the producers could make a new episode about Porygon that deals with epileptic seizures as a way of righting past wrongs and serving as an in-universe apology to the hundreds of viewers who suffered seizures on that fateful night 22 years ago.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #359

Aug 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
Speaking of Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution, "it will be the first Pokemon movie since 2010 to have its Japanese home video release come out before the English dub premiere."

https://twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/...69920021975040

A PR for Disney XD confirmed there is no airing for the movie in December. This could change though, I'd say.
have then given a time frame for its dubbing? I loved the og mewtwo strikes back, still got the dvd, so i cant wait for this one
Old 11-21-2019, 08:47 PM   #360
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg View Post
have then given a time frame for its dubbing? I loved the og mewtwo strikes back, still got the dvd, so i cant wait for this one
This Friday they are releasing TCG products for the movie but we still don't have a release date for the movie itself yet. Such a strange situation with this one.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime