Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Last-Minute Holiday Deals are Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Spider-Man Limited Edition 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.19
18 hrs ago
Deadpool 1 + 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.69
9 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Illumination Presents: 6-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
18 hrs ago
Reign of the Supermen (Blu-ray)
$14.99
42 min ago
Mortal Engines 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.95
3 hrs ago
Saw: 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.96
5 hrs ago
Ocean's 8 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00
8 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$55.99
18 hrs ago
Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
18 hrs ago
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (Blu-ray)
$9.99
14 hrs ago
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$8.79
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 12-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #12761
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
Here's the segment from the recent episode of Adam Ruins Everything about software EULAs and the issues with them.

For anyone who doesn't normally watch this show, the intent is to explain and educate people about issues that they might not be aware of or common misconceptions. There is a lot of humor injected into it for entertainment purposes, but the information provided is meant to be truthful and they list their sources in the corner of the screen. I'm not claiming them to be infallible, and some people have pointed out issues with some past segments (and they even mentioned some of those corrections in an episode at one point), but I just wanted to clarify the intent.

For context, the women with Adam is called Cori, and she's supposed to be similar to an Alexa device. She started out as a little box and turned into a humanoid form earlier in the episode. This is meant to be surreal and is part of the humor aspect. But I'm just giving context so that no one is completely thrown off.

Alarming, yet entertaining. This was my first viewing of "Adam Ruins Everything." I look forward to seeing more of his ruinations, if my devices will allow it.
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (12-12-2018), Dynamo of Eternia (12-12-2018)
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #12762
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Some of you may be interested in this poll over at AVS. 437 have voted so it is a fair sample size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
As much as I enjoy polls that show support for physical media, this poll is every bit as unscientific as the one posted earlier on this website:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...=310310&page=3

Now the poll linked above only has 80 respondents whereas the AVS site has 437+, but it must be noted that both of these sites cater heavily to those who would likely prefer disc in the first place.

This AVS poll is interesting in that it is comparing 4K streaming to blu-ray discs and that most prefer blu-ray disc, 48.4%, while 30.59% prefer 4K streaming and 9.82% think they are about equal.

If you combine those who think that 4K streaming looks better with those who think it looks the same, you have a full 40.41% who do not see blu-ray discs as being better. It is not a runaway preference for blu-ray disc even at a website like AVS which is likely biased toward disc. AVS members are often considered to more knowledgeable than the average bear, especially according to them , and even among this "elite" group those preferring the quality of blu-ray disc to 4K streaming is not an overwhelming majority.

It is also needs to be pointed out that 7.53% of all respondents refuse to stream at all and are therefore not well qualified to assess the differences between 4K streaming quality and that of blu-ray discs. If they do not stream, they are not in a position to evaluate it.

Similarly, 3.65% refuse to buy discs and they are also not ideally suited to judge the differences. In total, that means that 11.18% of respondents are not really qualified to make this assessment at all. A truly scientific poll would not even include such respondents, among other considerations.

Personally, I have done very little 4K streaming. What I have seen looks very good, but I have not seen enough to categorically declare that blu-ray disc looks better. I will say that 4K discs certainly look better than a 4K stream, again based tentatively on what few comparisons I have seen. I will still buy a movie on blu-ray disc every.single.time. over buying a 4K digital copy even if I were to decide in favor of the quality of a 4K stream. I will only buy that which I can actually own, period.

I enjoy unscientific polls as much as anyone, especially when they align with my preferences, but I do not confuse them with being a real barometer measuring consumer opinions as a whole. The forum members at AVS are not representative of consumers as a whole anymore than the forum members at blu-ray.com are; they are both a very small and select group- especially when you only include those who actively participate on these forums.
Do people really need a poll on this (or try and make excuses for the results)

Unless we get to the point of infinit bandwidth (i.e. BW is not an issue so things don't need to be bit starved and they can go as high as needed) virtual media will always be at a disadvantage over physical media . True resolution isn't a matter of how many pixels you say you have but how many truly independent elements you can have and that will almost always be limited by BW (be it physical or virtual).
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM   #12763
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

People enjoy polls, even unscientific ones, especially when the results show what they wanted to see all along.
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM   #12764
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Why is it "too late?" Is there something in the EULAs that forbids him? Is it you that forbids him? Precisely where is the point of no return? 200 digital titles? 500? 798? At what point is one condemned to digital only? Exactly what evil would befall him if he switched back?

Do I have too many blu-rays to buy 4K discs? Hell, do I have too many DVDs to buy blu-rays? What penalties have I unknowingly incurred?

If I were wanting to switch to digital (fat chance!) would you likewise tell me it is too late? Would you sentence me to a lifetime of disc ownership only? If so, I eagerly await my fate.
Unless it was meant to be sarcastic/trolling I don't get it either.

like you said should I have not updated from VHs because my count was >800, how about DVD where the count >3000 or BD that was even higher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vor4 View Post
Here’s a word of warning for you: “Before you do go back to physical media, think of all the money you wasted on the unwatched digital movies and your big collection of iTunes movies.” I still think that it’ll be a mistake for you to go back to physical media.
this is the way I see it, the options one has whne it comes to movies are

a) decide not to watch movie

b) spend 20$ for premium ticket at theatre+ popcorn+ drink to watch it once (* the number I might pay for)

c) buy disk (or in the OPs case digital copy) and watch it as often by as many people that want to watch it.

d) rent film

e) wait for it to be on TV

Now a) is boring , d) is not my style and e) is unpredictable. So if I go with c) and pay the highest price to buy a copy and watch it only once it is still a cheaper option than b) and the quality of my set-up, the snacks and my ability to controll my environment are all far better at home. So the price of buying a copy is well worth it even if I see only once.

Plus why do you care how Kage spends his cash? is he asking you to pay for it? (like a kid going "can I have $ to buy Y".
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM   #12765
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
People enjoy polls, even unscientific ones, especially when the results show what they wanted to see all along.

Hope you did not get offended by my previous post. Did not mean it to be condesending or insulting.

My point was that if we go with a torture test where every "pixel" is a different colour in one frame and all of them different colous in the next frame none of these medias would come close to representing it accurately (even if the origanal frames where SD). In the end the one that has the highest BW will always do a more accurate representation over fake resolution because real resolution is limited by content (i.e. a completely black screen can be acurately represented by one pixel and very little data) and bandwidth. Unless max bandwidth of the media can equal the simple math of #pixels * colour depth * frames per second the one with higher BW for video will always have higher PQ then the one with lower BW.

Now if someone cares or even should care that is a different story.
Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM   #12766
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
Hope you did not get offended by my previous post. Did not mean it to be condesending or insulting.

My point was that if we go with a torture test where every "pixel" is a different colour in one frame and all of them different colous in the next frame none of these medias would come close to representing it accurately (even if the origanal frames where SD). In the end the one that has the highest BW will always do a more accurate representation over fake resolution because real resolution is limited by content (i.e. a completely black screen can be acurately represented by one pixel and very little data) and bandwidth. Unless max bandwidth of the media can equal the simple math of #pixels * colour depth * frames per second the one with higher BW for video will always have higher PQ then the one with lower BW.

Now if someone cares or even should care that is a different story.
There was nothing offensive about your comment whatsoever. I was just saying people like polls, particularly when a poll seems to affirm their beliefs. That's why we have so many amateur versions of them in forums everywhere.

Last edited by Vilya; Yesterday at 08:08 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM   #12767
Special Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vor4 View Post
Here’s a word of warning for you: “Before you do go back to physical media, think of all the money you wasted on the unwatched digital movies and your big collection of iTunes movies.” I still think that it’ll be a mistake for you to go back to physical media.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
this is the way I see it, the options one has whne it comes to movies are
IMO, Vor4 is just trolling. Another ridiculous post here by that poster.
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM   #12768
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
IMO, Vor4 is just trolling. Another ridiculous post here by that poster.
Trolls are prolific creatures, advertising their ignorance far and wide.

Responding to all of the stupidity contained in that idiotic three paragraph post would require that I come out of retirement. It looks like many of you already took him to task for most of it, so I can keep my leisurely existence uninterrupted.

Last edited by Vilya; Today at 12:16 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology