Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Spy x Family: Season One - Part One (Blu-ray)
$45.99
1 day ago
Violet Evergarden: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$46.47

To Love Ru: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$73.96

My Senpai Is Annoying (Blu-ray)
$45.99
11 hrs ago
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? - Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$72.21

Mieruko-chan: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$63.74
1 day ago
Darkstalkers: The Complete OVA Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.39
18 hrs ago
Digimon: Digital Monsters - Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$57.11
2 hrs ago
Treasure Island (Blu-ray)
$46.39
8 hrs ago
Violet Evergarden: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
13 hrs ago
Magical Warfare: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.53
1 day ago
One-Punch Man: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 08-09-2022, 11:49 AM   #741
Expert Member

Aug 2018
Sasnak

I have the DVD release that ADV put out and could not get through it. Mospeada wasn't great but I did finish that one.

Like everyone else here I'd love to get US blurays of SDFM and DYRL but I'm not holding my breath. Still very excited that we are getting everything else.
Thanks given by:
jignat (08-10-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 12:54 PM   #742
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010

I currently believe that we'll get the OG Macross and DYRL at the very end of the release schedule. The pile of money to be made from foreign releases and merch is almost entirely tied to the Macross 7/Frontier/Delta/whatevercameafter, with a small side of Macross Plus and Macross 2 to tide over the older Macross fans, who likely don't care for the stuff that came after.
Thanks given by:
SteamfloggerBoss (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 01:08 PM   #743
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010

Looks like some Macross stuff has landed back on APV. They have SDFM, M2: The Movie, and oddly, the first part of M+.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:53 PM   #744
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamfloggerBoss View Post
Harmony Gold's greatest trick was getting people to sit through Southern Cross. It's so bad.
On the rare occasion I watch Robotech I almost always skip SC….
Old 08-09-2022, 04:20 PM   #745

Nov 2013
Los Angeles, CA

Have my old Madman DVDs of Macross, quality is not great but I rewatched it a few years back, still holds up. Robotech loses a lot of the melancholy tone of the original, especially the back third.

Watched Southern Cross when it was on Amazon Prime a few years back. That was tough to sit through and one of the few cases where I thought it was worse than the dub/re-edit.

Still want to watch the original Mospeada at some point.
Thanks given by:
SteamfloggerBoss (08-09-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 01:45 AM   #746
Power Member

Sep 2012

Yeah, Southern Cross might actually be better in Robotech because it's, well, shorter than the tedious original. That being said, I do like certain elements in it like the mecha designs and the fact that it's one of the first mecha anime with an undisputed female lead. In fact, right now I can't even think of any other mecha anime before it that had a female MC.

Mospeada is one of those people either like or dismiss. It's quite episodic with a plot that wouldn't be out of place in an 8-bit NES RPG, which for many is a turn off. For me, there's this sort of romanticism with roaming around a dusty, post-apocalyptic world with a tight group of friends on motorcycles that transforms into a power suits. The music is great too. The atmosphere of the show just hits the right notes for me personally. It's like also like a western too. I believe the creators even acknowledge the influence of The Magnificent Seven or Seven Samurai in the liner notes, as there are 7 main cast members going from town to town doing good deeds before moving on. Stig's extreme prejudice against the aliens (and eventually, the cast member who is revealed to be an alien) is also a fascinating echo of John Wayne's character in The Searchers. Like Ethan in The Searchers, Stig is simultaneously a racist and an honorable person who still does the 'right' thing in the end despite his own prejudices. I think the original preserves all of these better than the Robotech dub.

As for Macross, there are several things that are superior in the original and things I do like about the Robotech dub. I think the Ulpio Minucci bgm is very underrated, and while occasionally repetitive, sometimes fits some scenes better than in the original soundtrack. Minucci composed a very sophisticated and stirring soundtrack for the dub, none of this half assed stuff you see in many other 80s dubs of anime. Minmay of course is awful in Robotech. She was hated by fans in the 80s, and she's likely still hated now. While she's not exactly great in the original, she at least comes off as innocent and naive rather than just a flat out spoiled airhead.

But for a child of the 80s, the stuff Robotech was doing on US television was nothing short of groundbreaking stuff. They left in scenes of alcohol drinking, Roy and Ben still die (none of this he disappeared into another universe stuff) and yes, it's still clear Claudia and Roy were in fact a couple (something which led several US stations to skip any episodes that featured scenes of Claudia and Roy obviously being a couple).

Last edited by llj; 08-15-2022 at 02:12 AM.
Thanks given by:
CouncilSpectre (08-16-2022), Lionel Horsepackage (08-15-2022), SteamfloggerBoss (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 02:24 PM   #747
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010

Ulpio actually didn't write most of the music for Robotech. He did the theme, which he is always credited for, and some other tracks, but it was a few others who did most of the work, namely composer Arlon Ober, who orchestrated and composed most of the tracks. Unsurprisingly, Ulpio tried to sue Harmony Gold - namely, Frank Agrama - for infringement of his music copyrights for the series, a few years after the series was done.
Thanks given by:
llj (08-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 12:03 PM   #748
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

Here’s a random find from the Crunchyroll store.

Macross Beta Tape Volume 1

Quote:
The original 1984 English language adaptation of Macross on Beta tape, featuring the first episode, Boobytrap! Yes folks, this is from the 80's when TV shows were released one episode per tape and there was still a war between VHS and Beta. Featuring the original adaptation names of Rick Yamada (Hikaru Ichijo/Rick Hunter) and more! Get your hands on this extremely rare piece of anime history!

Disclaimer: Requires a Beta tape player, not compatible with VHS tape players. Not guaranteed to contain anything other than the static-stricken warbly magnetic echoes of anime recorded on analog media stored for three decades in a vault, but serves great as a conversation piece and objet d'art.

BUY: https://store.crunchyroll.com/produc...ss-beta-tape-1
Thanks given by:
Gowho (09-15-2022), Lionel Horsepackage (09-22-2022), milo bloom (11-03-2022), neoz (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 02:50 PM   #749

Feb 2016
Planar Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomranger View Post
Here’s a random find from the Crunchyroll store.

Macross Beta Tape Volume 1

3-4 Years ago, that tape was in the Official Robotech Store. It vanished with the redesign. I wonder if they just sent it over to Funi when the two partnered up.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:12 PM   #750

Jun 2022
(and future favourites?!) I am attempting to curate a collection of 80's/90's science fiction movies

I've been watching the OG macross on youtube past few months (stopped for some reason but need to finish it probably got 7 or 8 eps left) - didn't that souped up version of the valkyrie shown on that Betamax cover have (at least in the subtitled japanese version) have a hilarious name like boobie duck or big boobie or something am i correctly remembering?
Old 09-15-2022, 04:28 PM   #751
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2014
Atlanta GA

I wonder if that’s the only anime ever officially released on Betamax in North America.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:30 PM   #752

Feb 2016
Planar Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
I wonder if that’s the only anime ever officially released on Betamax in North America.
You’d be surprised, but nope! There are probably close to about 2 dozen. I’m actually keeping a list, which you can find here: https://v-i.dev/big-list. Just switch to the releases tab, and Ctrl-F “Beta”

EDIT: Oh, also can’t forget the PSOArchive, who has a neat (albeit incomplete) list here

Last edited by v_i; 09-15-2022 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 11:37 AM   #753
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010

Yesterday was the 40th Anniversary of Macross being broadcast for the first time. Maybe we can hope for a Murican/UK BD release next year.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:34 PM   #754
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInHD View Post
Yesterday was the 40th Anniversary of Macross being broadcast for the first time. Maybe we can hope for a Murican/UK BD release next year.
Unlikely IMO.

The original series, DYRL and F2012 were all excluded from the BW/HG agreement weren’t they? Can’t see any movement on that front until the Robotech movie is done and gone.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:29 PM   #755

Nov 2011
Tampa, Florida

Any news about Macross Plus bluray US version?

There were some statements saying it would come out towards the end of this year, but I haven't heard anything recently.
Thanks given by:
sagadego (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 03:41 PM   #756
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2012
Denmark

You would see it here if there were.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:10 PM   #757
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jignat View Post
Any news about Macross Plus bluray US version?

There were some statements saying it would come out towards the end of this year, but I haven't heard anything recently.
Anime Limited didn’t actually provide a timeframe for Plus’s release.

https://blog.alltheanime.com/macross-plus-blu-ray/

Quote:
Anime Limited is proud to announce its upcoming release of Macross Plus to Blu-ray for the first time outside of Japan, an anime praised as a “visual tour de force” by Forbes.

In a landmark moment for fans of the decades-spanning legendary Macross franchise, the beloved classic 1995 film – together with its original four-part OVA presentation – will be made available for fans for the first time in English on Blu-ray later this year. Created by BIGWEST and Studio Nue, with Shoji Kawamori (Aquarion, Escaflowne) serving as a chief director , the film marks the directorial debut of Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo) as a director and the first collaboration with inimitable composer Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne).

“Macross is a deeply important franchise to both the world of cinema and to the anime fandom,” said Andrew Partridge, CEO and Co-Founder of Anime Limited. “We’re humbled and thrilled to bring out the first HD release of the franchise to fans in so many countries with Macross Plus.”

The film will be released on Blu-ray in the following territories:
  • United States
  • Canada
  • United Kingdom
  • France
  • Italy
  • Germany
  • Spain
  • Portugal
  • The Netherlands
  • Scandinavia: including Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Iceland
Thanks given by:
sagadego (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 05:13 PM   #758
Expert Member

Jan 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomranger View Post
Anime Limited didn’t actually provide a timeframe for Plus’s release.
It's also Anime Limited so add 6 months to whatever date they first announce as the release date
Thanks given by:
Bobo1313 (10-07-2022), Gowho (10-06-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 04:54 PM   #759
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

October 21:

https://twitter.com/JoeStraatmann/st...21428192022530

Quote:
The Rightstuf/Noizomi panel at NebrasKon doesn't have much new info on Macross stuff. They are still waiting on a lot of materials because this is the first time a lot of the people who handle Macross are doing something like this.
https://twitter.com/JoeStraatmann/st...18514690404352

Quote:
They are doing ultra sets and trying to put together art books and whatever other material they can. They are in negotiation to get the Frontier movies on the same set as the series, but that among many other details is still in negotiation. Macross 7 will be 2 sets.
https://twitter.com/JoeStraatmann/st...21428192022530

Quote:
And as far as they know, nobody has the license for Macross Zero, and nobody has any plans for it. But that doesn't mean there isn't someone who has their eye on it if the sets do well. Apparently, the last people who tried to do ANYTHING with Zero was AnimEigo.
Thanks given by:
BuraddoRun (10-28-2022), Lionel Horsepackage (10-27-2022), sagadego (10-22-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 10:04 PM   #760
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

https://blog.alltheanime.com/animeny...announcements/

Macross Plus Ultimate Edition Blu-ray (coming 2023)

Macross Plus Original Soundtrack — Ultimate Edition Vinyl, including:
  • Macross Plus Original Soundtrack
  • Macross Plus Original Soundtrack II
  • Macross Plus Original Soundtrack Plus – for fans only
  • Sharon Apple: The Cream P-U-F
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime