Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£30.65
 
Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
£81.41
 
The Appointment (Blu-ray)
£9.99
 
Scream 2-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
£13.99
 
Dragons Forever 4K (Blu-ray)
£27.80
 
The Lukas Moodysson Collection (Blu-ray)
£45.71
 
Diabolique (Blu-ray)
£13.49
49 min ago
Top Gun: Maverick 4K (Blu-ray)
£29.80
 
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
£19.99
 
Black Adam 4K (Blu-ray)
£17.44
 
Censor (Blu-ray)
£11.99
 
The Raid (Blu-ray)
£4.99
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 08-31-2021, 10:04 PM   #2001
chip75 chip75 is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
207
3231
2160
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim_tales View Post
I watched 'Beetlejuice' last night, and a 15 seems harsh considering what gets given that rating nowadays IMO. There are some quite strong horror moments but it's done in a comic way. Maybe a 12 would be better.
It was a PG in the US!
Hasn't been submitted for home video for a few decades, the theatrical release is a 12A (since 2018). Might be problematic for the suicide references.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
grim_tales (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 01:05 PM   #2002
Bes30 Bes30 is offline
Senior Member
 
Sep 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
Weirdly Harold & Kumar 2 has a '15' via Netflix as well. That was a deserved '18' when last submitted to the BBFC. What on Earth is going on?!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #2003
Eibon Eibon is offline
Special Member
 
Nov 2013
327
Default

It was mentioned Netflix uses their own ratings, does anyone know if they show stuff uncut compared with UK disc equivalents? For example, is American Horror Story s1 uncut, unlike the disc version ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #2004
goldshredder2 goldshredder2 is offline
New Member
 
Jan 2021
78
213
17
Default

They do have Aquaman uncut on Netflix
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:32 AM   #2005
drush9999 drush9999 is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
drush9999's Avatar
 
Nov 2016
Sutton Coldfield, England
119
4175
518
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldshredder2 View Post
They do have Aquaman uncut on Netflix
Yep can confirm it's uncut.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:32 PM   #2006
whedon whedon is offline
Special Member
 
whedon's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
261
5082
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bes30 View Post
Weirdly Harold & Kumar 2 has a '15' via Netflix as well. That was a deserved '18' when last submitted to the BBFC. What on Earth is going on?!
Netflix don't base ratings on just the BBFC or IFCO: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/2064
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:52 PM   #2007
KRW1 KRW1 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Oct 2012
45
Default

I bet the BBFC would love to get their hands on Netflix. £££
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #2008
Peachfuzz Peachfuzz is offline
Active Member
 
Peachfuzz's Avatar
 
Aug 2020
Scotland
Default

Amazon Prime Video is similar to Netlix. It's mostly in line with the BBFC, but not exclusively. Now and then, you'll find uncut versions of various films, or whatever.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #2009
The Hornets The Hornets is offline
Senior Member
 
Apr 2021
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW1 View Post
I bet the BBFC would love to get their hands on Netflix. £££
Needs Government to pass a law requiring BBFC certification of online video content.

Currently only legally required for home video discs except documentaries etc which are exempt.

Rating of films in cinemas is on behalf of local councils who have the rating responsibility.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #2010
Markgway Markgway is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Markgway's Avatar
 
Jul 2013
Scotland
12
Default

I think Netflix are trolling the BBFC.

Malcolm X is now an '18'.

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/malco...jpwwc01mzm0mzm
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #2011
koopabeach koopabeach is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2021
Default Malcolm X now rated '18'

'Malcolm X' (1992) is now an '18' for 'violence, discrimination theme'.
This, to me, is utterly insane. It is a PG-13 in the USA and has one scene of violence which is pretty tame.
What is going on with the BBFC? This film never should've been rated '18', especially given 'American History X's' recent downgrading from '18' to 15'.

I think the BBFC has been watered down to oblivion recently and I can't figure out why.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:44 AM   #2012
koopabeach koopabeach is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
I think Netflix are trolling the BBFC.

Malcolm X is now an '18'.

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/malco...jpwwc01mzm0mzm
Sorry, I didn't see your reply before I posted! I agree. It isn't often a film gets an '18' rating from the BBFC and a 'PG-13' from the MPAA. What the **** is going on.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:44 PM   #2013
moviegeek1992 moviegeek1992 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
moviegeek1992's Avatar
 
Apr 2015
51
1402
255
Default

Why are the BBFC creating new listings for the movies submitted by Netflix instead of adding the new ratings information under the existing films page, such as Malcolm X and Rush Hour etc and why didnít Netflix just use the available ratings to begin with?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #2014
koopabeach koopabeach is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek1992 View Post
Why are the BBFC creating new listings for the movies submitted by Netflix instead of adding the new ratings information under the existing films page, such as Malcolm X and Rush Hour etc and why didnít Netflix just use the available ratings to begin with?
There is nothing I'd deem to be adult content in 'Malcolm X'
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #2015
Gizz Gizz is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Gizz's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
England
7
344
1724
842
7
54
44
United Kingdom

I remember when we had Sky Cinema and they would show the Alien films all day now Sky had rated them a 15'. Now are they not still 18 ?. The same with Die Hard my 4k is a 18 but Sky had rated it a 15. Is Sky breaking the law by ratings films themselves ?.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:07 PM   #2016
dallywhitty dallywhitty is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
dallywhitty's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
The Macroverse
165
1382
186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizz View Post
I remember when we had Sky Cinema and they would show the Alien films all day now Sky had rated them a 15'. Now are they not still 18 ?. The same with Die Hard my 4k is a 18 but Sky had rated it a 15. Is Sky breaking the law by ratings films themselves ?.
Confusingly there's a distinction between home video ratings and cinema ratings. A film could be granted a lower rating upon cinema re-release (like Alien being bumped down to a 15), but if it hasn't been resubmitted for home video, then it'll still be an 18.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Gizz (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 01:11 PM   #2017
drush9999 drush9999 is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
drush9999's Avatar
 
Nov 2016
Sutton Coldfield, England
119
4175
518
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
Confusingly there's a distinction between home video ratings and cinema ratings. A film could be granted a lower rating upon cinema re-release (like Alien being bumped down to a 15), but if it hasn't been resubmitted for home video, then it'll still be an 18.
Back in the 80s and 90s some films received further cuts on home video.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
dallywhitty (09-04-2021), Gizz (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 01:16 PM   #2018
dallywhitty dallywhitty is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
dallywhitty's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
The Macroverse
165
1382
186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drush9999 View Post
Back in the 80s and 90s some films received further cuts on home video.
Yup. The BBFC are terrified of people hitting rewind.

I'm kinda grateful that I was born in the mid-90s, so by the time I really got into film, I didn't have to put up with British censorship too much. Although it was a bizarre experience finally watching Batman Forever uncut, because I'd watched the VHS to death as a kid and it was trimmed by a minute and a half.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:19 PM   #2019
drush9999 drush9999 is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
drush9999's Avatar
 
Nov 2016
Sutton Coldfield, England
119
4175
518
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
Yup. The BBFC are terrified of people hitting rewind.

I'm kinda grateful that I was born in the mid-90s, so by the time I really got into film, I didn't have to put up with British censorship too much. Although it was a bizarre experience finally watching Batman Forever uncut, because I'd watched the VHS to death as a kid and it was trimmed by a minute and a half.
Thanks for making me feel old
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
dallywhitty (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 02:00 PM   #2020
Krynoid-Man Krynoid-Man is offline
Special Member
 
Krynoid-Man's Avatar
 
Sep 2020
Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
I'm kinda grateful that I was born in the mid-90s, so by the time I really got into film, I didn't have to put up with British censorship too much. Although it was a bizarre experience finally watching Batman Forever uncut, because I'd watched the VHS to death as a kid and it was trimmed by a minute and a half.
Same, although I don't think I've actually seen Batman Forever uncut yet despite having owned it on Blu-Ray at one point.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:47 AM.