Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Clint Eastwood: The Universal Pictures 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$22.00
1 day ago
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
10 hrs ago
The Goonies 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99

One Crazy Summer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
16 hrs ago
Beetlejuice 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Parks and Recreation: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.10

A Quiet Place Part II 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.70
16 hrs ago
A Clockwork Orange 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99

A Perfect Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Indiana Jones: 4-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$63.50

Cold War Creatures: Four Films from Sam Katzman (Blu-ray)
$72.99
1 day ago
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio

Old 04-05-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Default Sennheiser RS 185 RF Wireless Headphone System

My Senn 170's sound like they are dying.

They were never heavy on bass but while watching Interstellar (Awesome film btw) any LFE moments created real bad static hissy fits + the range on the base seems to be more limited. I dunno if it's cuz I'm in a Condo or other devices interfering.

Looking at these which are open back, 2.4-2.48ghz

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone have these or have tried them? A bit pricey for wireless.

This model has both analog & digital.
Thanks given by:
only1hammy (02-25-2016)
Old 04-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Went ahead with the 185.

Supossedly the best Wireless headphones next to the 195 for every source of listening.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Update

These are lost in NA. Very few sites even acknowledge them. I'm sharing some impressions to save anyone looking for input & getting no where on the net.

Early impressions,

Out of box they definetly need break in but I immediately noticed LFE levels were better balanced & have more juice. The 185's do not have VS or BB. The receiver also outputs a lot more sound by itself in comparison to Sennheiser's 160, 170 & 180 base station.

They are basically the same weight as the 170, 180 but have bigger Plush ear pieces. They are "Around Ear" not Over Ear or On Ear. They are more snug around your head/ear because the headband is of smaller length.

Line of sight is around the same. Not good through walls or through multiple 2.4-2.48ghz devises on.

I can't try the uncompressed option. My tv doesn't support analog out. Optical works great.

A comment on Amazon said you can't listen to YouTube among other steaming services such as Prime. I can't comment on Prime but YouTube works if your tv has the built in YouTube app.

The batteries are 820 triple A's. Most rechargeable batteries in NA are 800 so I wouldn't recommend throwing in any rechargeable AAA battery.

I'm still on my initial charge time from base. The light is supposed to turn green when fully charged. The light has remained solid Red for over 12 hours now.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:19 AM   #4
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Update

These headphones are heavier than the 160-180 line.

At first felt as though the Headband being snug was the cause for the perceived increased weight. They compensated this grey area by providing heavier plush ear pieces. When worn for extended hours there is slight pressure against the temple. Interestingly there is 0 discomfort on the ears througout hours of use.

If the band losens up they may relieve stress on the temple.

Audio quality has gotten better. I'm in around 50-80 hours now but some low frequencies will distort the highs so I haven't fully breakin them in yet.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

A quick update.

The headband has losens up & is more comfortable. Weight seems to be a non-issue either after 6 straight hours.

I can't test the Battery life. They are rated at 18 consecutive hours of use. I have done 13 hours in one sit down & they sound just as good as when fully charged.

I have broken them in at over 200 hours.

The bass is much deeper & overall sound quality is nicely balanced.

That said, I thought distortion occured during a very brief intro scene in the movie Interstellar. However, that fooled me. It's not distortion, it's supposed to sound like that as debree, wind, panel sounds & the ships haul all have detailed audio effects including the muffled dialog which was recorded & edited to sound that way. The film itself is real bass heavy mostly coming from the soundtrack more so then audio effects & the Sennheiser had 0 issues reproducing the deep lfe audio. The dialog track is around 5-10db below reference. Quite the gap compared to the rest of the film so unfortunately that movie ain't a great test for dialog.

I am also getting compressed lossy sound instead of full uncompressed because I'm using the optical cable.

The 185's are kinda new on the market so my only complaint is I can't buy genuine replacement ear pads for them, yet.. The plush cans are huge in comparison to the older line & I have noticed more hygienic wear on these in a shorter time span so anyone interested in them should make that accessory their most sought after item.
Thanks given by:
Quake1028 (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tampa, FL

Looking for a solution myself. Thanks for all the posts/updates.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Looking for a solution myself. Thanks for all the posts/updates.
No prob..

Am kinda a headphone junkie. (Minus Tubes & Amps)

I was messing around with Sony's PS Wireless headphones "Gold" for the Witcher game. Value defintely seems to go to where your money went. After an hour, I switched back to Sennheiser because my temple was already getting sore (These are actually lighter then Senn) & the audio was cutting out from 4-6 feet. The Senn's audio quality in comparison is night & day difference with better balance & overal comfort.

I like the fact that you can use these for whatever source & they will likely sound better then the product made for the source in question as example above.

Uncompressed is an option I'd really like to try though. Also I have not done this yet with the 185's but with previous Senn's you could add some extra kick by using your TVs audio amp. I'll try & remember to do this to see if it works with the 185 -- It's simple, just switch TV speaker mode to Home Audio System & then turn up the TV volume a bit.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:59 PM   #8
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Update on BD

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-T...lu-ray/126805/

So I have put around 500 hours into the Sennheiser HD-185's with films & games & streams & they have been broken in for quite some time.

I may have a certain bias towards The Terminator (1984) film because it's my most watched Film to date on any format. Keeping that in mind cause I want to be honest.

I have previously heard the re-mastered audio in dts-HDMA most recently with the U.K.'s remastered edition on a dedicated 5.1 Klipsch Surround system. Since then, I have had to put away that system for space reasons which yes does suck but I've always seeked out the best of the portable audio world both wired & wireless but never tried headphones on The Terminator Remastered edition.

Recently received the U.S. Version & gave it a spin with dts-HDMA on the Sennheiser HD-185 & I can't believe how good this track sounds with these headphones. Yes the track sounds great on 5.1 set-ups & I also understand that some fans do not like the Remastered track & want/prefer Mono.

If you can get past that & actually listen to the 5.1 mix (dts) with the Sennheiser's you will literally be blown away. It bests all the tracks I have thrown BD & otherwise for use with the HD-185's & if you own them I more then highly recommend you pick up this BD.

I never labeled a "Reference" audio experience with headphones wired or wireless but for only $7.50 which the disc currently goes for you'll never regret it if you do choose to listen to the Remastered track with the Senn's.

I'm viewing the film upscaled to 2160p & that sounds great also but I have noticed the film itself doesn't scale well with upscaling BD players. The real treat is the audio.

If you like the first film & do have this model Senns, it is my highest recommendation you pick up this disc. The Senns don't have VS yet the left & right really give a sense that that is false. Yep, that good. The dialog is still dated & always will be along with certain audio effects like when The Terminator arrives at the first Sarah Conner & you hear the dog barking. The dialog is very crisp throughout & the music is something else. Yes dated 80's score but it sounds better then any 2015 music score from BDs I've listened to recently.

Bottom,

If you have this headset & do not have the film, do yourself a favor & buy the BD in the link.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:29 AM   #9
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Found this,

http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co...dphones/rs-185

I got back-ordered but they sell them from the UK & ship worldwide.

I'll update when I get them. It appears this is the only place on the Internet to get ear pads.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:30 PM   #10
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Update!

Here you see the new pads on, old pads behind, & another pair packaged.

Took awhile to get them but it was the Christmas rush so...

After putting the headset on, immediately felt brand new.

http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co...dphones/rs-185

They ship in a very well thick protected cardboard bag. Didn't hesitate to order another 2-pairs.

Wish price was lower.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:58 PM   #11
Special Member

Sep 2010
Alaska

Mine just arrived today. Charging.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:52 PM   #12
Special Member

Sep 2010
Alaska

So mine have been having strange muting. Probably just have to change the channel.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #13
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DinAK View Post
So mine have been having strange muting. Probably just have to change the channel.
I remember the first charge takes a long time. The base was light red for almost half a day. Since the initial charge though, no issues here.

They also take some time breaking in so I'd go easy on the volume.

If you find a better ear pad replacement site (cheaper) feel free to post it.

My second order is on route now. I figure the pads lasted me just over 7 months before wearing out. I almost ordered the leatherette ones to try out because 165/75/85/95 all have the same dimensions.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:12 AM   #14
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

R.I.P.

April 19th 2015
June 26th 2021

Put 10ís of thousands of hours into these cans. Replaced ear pads 3 times in total over 6 years.

Trust me when I say I Tried all methods to revive them. Audio drops out randomly for a second & then back to normal. This happens every 3-4 times a minute.

Am now charging RS 175ís. Didnít think Iíd ever need them to be honest.
First impressions of the Headset itself. Well itís a little more snug with a little less cushion on the headband compared to 185. I put the same 185 pads on them & they do feel a lot better than the cheap stock leatherette pads.

So if these 175ís die, Iíll be forced into BT Headphones. I have a set of Audio Technica BT cans already & they pair to my TV no problem. They donít sound anywhere near as good as the RF Sennheiserís though.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio