Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Clint Eastwood: The Universal Pictures 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$22.00
1 day ago
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
11 hrs ago
One Crazy Summer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
17 hrs ago
The Goonies 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Beetlejuice 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Parks and Recreation: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.10

A Quiet Place Part II 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.70
17 hrs ago
A Clockwork Orange 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.35
37 min ago
Indiana Jones: 4-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$63.50

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Audrey Hepburn: 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 07-26-2021, 07:47 PM   #141
Power Member

Dec 2009
Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Well the UK and US Who sets are differently authored anyway - 50i and 60i respectively. So they won't be like for like even on the same player.
True. This tells us though that these players may not accept 50i content as well as it should. I’d be curious to know if other material at 50i won’t play as well on the players. It sounds like the actual episodes work but not the special features.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #142
Special Member

Nov 2018
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Older than that, something like Spearhead from Space or Shada.
Can't check with those. I don't own them or the Patrick Troughton stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
If this guys gets things working I'd love to know what he did. However this is good news (unfortunately) that it's happening to others as well. Good work finding that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUsokrJosh305 View Post
True. This tells us though that these players may not accept 50i content as well as it should. I’d be curious to know if other material at 50i won’t play as well on the players. It sounds like the actual episodes work but not the special features.
This is indeed correct. Episodes themselves which are in 4:3 play fine but the 4:3 extra features just output to a blank screen. You still get audio but no video. Anything shot in 16:9 plays fine, not just the Behind the Sofa stuff but anything on the old DVDs that were in widescreen like the Paradise Towers documentary.

Would love to know what makes the episodes different that those play fine.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:06 PM   #143

Jul 2019

Just jumping in as I've been talking to Pedro about this by email and we've ascertained that it isn't 4:3 SD material that's the problem for him, it's anything in SD on the discs, whether it's 4:3 or 16:9. I have a UB450 in my bedroom connected to a 2016 Panasonic LCD and that does play the SD extras with both pictures and sound, albeit it that the pictures are being played at 60Hz instead of 50Hz, for reasons that I'm yet to figure out. The HD pictures play at the correct frame rate. However, the discs play completely as expected on my Oppo UDP-203 into a Panasonic EZ952 OLED in my main setup downstairs.

The main episodes themselves, although the look to be 4:3, are actually 16:9 HD upscales, with the 4:3 picture being padded out with pillarbox bars.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:36 PM   #144
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
Just jumping in as I've been talking to Pedro about this by email and we've ascertained that it isn't 4:3 SD material that's the problem for him, it's anything in SD on the discs, whether it's 4:3 or 16:9. I have a UB450 in my bedroom connected to a 2016 Panasonic LCD and that does play the SD extras with both pictures and sound, albeit it that the pictures are being played at 60Hz instead of 50Hz, for reasons that I'm yet to figure out. The HD pictures play at the correct frame rate. However, the discs play completely as expected on my Oppo UDP-203 into a Panasonic EZ952 OLED in my main setup downstairs.

The main episodes themselves, although the look to be 4:3, are actually 16:9 HD upscales, with the 4:3 picture being padded out with pillarbox bars.
Wasn't there an issue with some of the discs not having the special features in their original framerate?

We need someone with a PC to check these discs and how the content is flagged. I've played plenty of 50Hz content with my Panasonic players and haven't had any issues.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #145
Special Member

Nov 2018
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertsbbc View Post
I have a UB450 in my bedroom connected to a 2016 Panasonic LCD and that does play the SD extras with both pictures and sound, albeit it that the pictures are being played at 60Hz instead of 50Hz, for reasons that I'm yet to figure out.
I haven't replied to your email yet Steve because I'm still checking something on my end but I did want to clarify this thread was originally about aspect ratio confusion on my UB450 player. I never tested the Doctor Who discs on my UB450 player for the brief time I had it so it's very probable it did work same as you. It's only with my latest player (UB820) I'm noticing the issues I've emailed you about.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion