Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Darkest Hour 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
It: Chapter Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (Blu-ray)
$5.99
16 hrs ago
It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
18 hrs ago
The Great Mouse Detective (Blu-ray)
$5.99
13 hrs ago
Crawl (Blu-ray)
$10.00
18 hrs ago
Seven Worlds, One Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$37.04
1 hr ago
James and the Giant Peach (Blu-ray)
$5.99
4 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Knives Out (Blu-ray)
$19.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.69

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
Default Brick and Mortars are Idiots!

OK, so I'm in Delaware at the moment, a state where there is no sales tax, which would make buying in a store that much more tempting. I don't have my BD setup with me because I don't live here, but I decided to check out the BD selection at an FYE store in the Concord Mall in Wilmington today. Keep in mind that FYE is the only MUSIC/DVD/BD store within the mall.

Guess what?

LESS THAN ONE HALF OF ONE SIDE OF ONE AISLE was Blu-ray, and that was it. The rest was CDs, DVDs, video games, etc. There were no other BD displays anywhere,and the New Release shelf that sits in the front of the store was all DVDs, despite the fact that 80-90% of new releases get siamultaneous BD and DVD editions. What in the hell? I was so mad at the pure stupidity of the store that I walked right out. I'm well aware that Blu-ray isn't selling anything like DVD (yet), but come on! At least have a hanging Blu-ray sign (they didn't)!

And also, I couldn't find one BD there under $27.99 (I didn't look for T2 and the other cheap, crappy Lionsgate releases). Most were closer to $40.00, and this is Delaware, a state that doesn't really have much human traffic compared to other Mid-Atlantic states.

My experience today simply solidifies my resolution to buy all BDs from Online Stores. These places deserve to close if they're going to be this stupid.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
Banned

Apr 2007
That's What She Said!

I agree. Target near me likes to charge MSRP for blu-ray and that is just crazy. 29.99 is absurd for a disc that could not have possibly cost that much to make.

Yup, online is the way to go. Until they start taxing it.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
Banned

Jun 2008
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
OK, so I'm in Delaware at the moment, a state where there is no sales tax, which would make buying in a store that much more tempting. I don't have my BD setup with me because I don't live here, but I decided to check out the BD selection at an FYE store in the Concord Mall in Wilmington today. Keep in mind that FYE is the only MUSIC/DVD/BD store within the mall.

Guess what?

LESS THAN ONE HALF OF ONE SIDE OF ONE AISLE was Blu-ray, and that was it. The rest was CDs, DVDs, video games, etc. There were no other BD displays anywhere,and the New Release shelf that sits in the front of the store was all DVDs, despite the fact that 80-90% of new releases get siamultaneous BD and DVD editions. What in the hell? I was so mad at the pure stupidity of the store that I walked right out. I'm well aware that Blu-ray isn't selling anything like DVD (yet), but come on! At least have a hanging Blu-ray sign (they didn't)!

And also, I couldn't find one BD there under $27.99 (I didn't look for T2 and the other cheap, crappy Lionsgate releases). Most were closer to $40.00, and this is Delaware, a state that doesn't really have much human traffic compared to other Mid-Atlantic states.

My experience today simply solidifies my resolution to buy all BDs from Online Stores. These places deserve to close if they're going to be this stupid.
i get all my blu-rays in store and i never have any of these problems. i actually find the prices much, much cheaper than online. i do a lot of comparison shopping before i go out and get them. i find f.y.e. to be one of two stores i shop at (out of many) that actually have the better prices. i got both x-files movies on day of release for $22.00. when i was comparison pricing for smallville season 6 it was actually cheaper to get it at best buy. i couldn't get any better deals online. in fact most online places were wanting double what best buy was wanting. i'm just not all that impressed with online shopping.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #4

Dec 2008

I have not shopped in a retail store for a book, CD, DVD or BD in many years, Amazon.com is the only way to go for the best prices* and selection. And they usually deliver within days.

*don't forget to factor in the $1 or 2 that it cost you to drive anywhere now...
Old 01-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #5

Sep 2008

FYE prices here in Indiana really sucks. They got the Band of Brothers on sale for $99.99. What the heck!

There is nothing wrong on checking the other stores or the website, come on.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

In the UK its the same. Its not until a store goes bankrupt that the deals are worth picking up. The B+M stores only stock about 5% of the titles available and I think thats being generous. Then you look at the prices and your paying almost as much as you would pay for 2 blu's online (especially considering the blu deals online).
Old 01-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Siri Send a message via MSN to Siri

Before Bangkok Dangerous was released, I think a week before it was supposed to be out, I saw it at FYE, $39.99?! they are out of their minds.

FYE charges MSRP for EVERYTHING, if you don't buy something on release day, it is a waste of time. Sometimes new releases are $25-$27, better if you have the Backstage Pass membership. Second, the only really good reason to go to FYE is their used BDs. Most of the time when I buy a 'Used' BD it is still factory sealed, so I basically save some $$ there. The one I go to has an entire aisle devoted to Blu-rays, and there is a Coconuts that has the same setup, Coconuts is owned by the same company for FYE, virtually the same store, both accept Backstage Passes

And amazon is good, but they are not THAT good. Others, like myself, do not like to shop online, for whatever reason. Sure they have good deals, but that good deal doesn't mean anything if you have trouble getting it, lol. I can barely trust my FedEx and UPS drivers. Have had a few things that never made it here. I don't buy online unless I absolutely have to.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
Special Member

Jan 2009
Atlantic Canada

the CD Plus chain in canada is the same way , at least the store near me. they alway have the MSRP listed on the blu titles and yet the WWE dvds I buy there are the cheapest in the city.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Expert Member

Jul 2007
Columbus, Georgia

I live in Columbus, Georgia and our FYE is ridiculous when it comes to pricing. I never go near there anymore. Target has had a few good sales, as well as Best Buy. For the most part, MovieStop is where I shop. They have good prices and they sell used discs. I have bought from their used section for 3 years now and have never purchased anything that did not look perfectly new.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #10

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

I think if you have the opportunity to do some comparison shopping (I do as I'm on the road most of the time) you'll find good deals can be had at B&M's.

Amazon's pricing isn't all that hot anymore and forget about amazon.ca...unless they are running a sale perhaps.

In the nearly 2 yrs I've been buying BD's, I've yet to pay more than $25 for any title. In fact, I'm able to get most for under $20.

For other media like vinyl, I've now been ordering from amazon.co.uk as they have some really fantastic prices and in many cases way better than AcousticSounds, BetterMusic, ElusiveDisc, etc. Being in Canada I also find the shipping from the amazon uk site to be less expensive than the aforementioned.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Just Outside of the Alliance's Reach

You're in the mall, and it's generally always that way and always has been from Suncoast and Sam Goody days to FYE now, and so on. You pay for convenience in the mall, which is generally always MSRP'ish. It's the same deal as buying media at a giant bookstore, it's not their primary revenue driver, so they can get away with it.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
Expert Member

Feb 2008
Ohio

I've gotten some very good deals in brick and mortar stores. I got the Spiderman trilogy on release day at Best Buy for less than even Amazon was charging, and I didn't have to pay shipping which will always cost more than the gas to drive to a store. Lately, I've been getting my stuff at a Target which is only a five minute drive down the road. FYE seemed to be the priciest to me, but they always have been in my experience.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #13

Dec 2008

You must remember that Mall stores pay a stiff rent plus a percentage of their sales to the mall so don't expect any deals except specials. There is an FYE and BB inthe main mall here and the prices are higher at FYE without fail. BB has some good deals on specials but the regular prices are steep
Old 01-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Indianapolis, IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
You're in the mall, and it's generally always that way and always has been from Suncoast and Sam Goody days to FYE now, and so on. You pay for convenience in the mall, which is generally always MSRP'ish. It's the same deal as buying media at a giant bookstore, it's not their primary revenue driver, so they can get away with it.
I was thinking the same thing myself. Just about anything in a mall is going to be expensive compared to say a Best Buy or Fry's. Don't get me started on Border's and Barnes and Noble either. In order for these places to pay their rent(which if I remember correctly is something like a $1,000/month) they have to charge full MSRP. I know that Castleton Square here in Indy is like that, which is why I got to the Best Buy in the parking lot instead.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

We have two FYE "Superstores" (stand-alone stores) here in the Buffalo, NY area. While they have a decent amount of new BDs, they certainly charge the most. Their sale prices put them in a more competitive market, but their average regular price for BDs ranges from $32.99 to $39.99. They have "Planet Earth" as the 4-disc BBC version for $99.99. Wal-Mart has the same for $67+change. Of course, Amazon.uk has the 5-disc unedited BBC version for around $35, but an over-$30 difference just to drive down the road a piece from FYE to Wal-Mart is pretty atrocious.

Unfortunately, highway robbery on FYE's prices, mall location or not.

You can join FYE's "club," but it costs money up front. If you are a frequent shopper, it may pay off in the long run, but if you don't buy all your brick-and-mortar BDs from FYE, then I'd say "pass."

FYE does, however, offer used BDs for a decent price, and their selection is growing (which really surprises me, but I guess people actually are trading in their unwanted BDs). Some are barely lower than other stores' regular prices, but sometimes you can save $10 or more. Depends on the title, of course. Most of their used DVDs are now well below $10.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Livonia, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razputin View Post
I have not shopped in a retail store for a book, CD, DVD or BD in many years, Amazon.com is the only way to go for the best prices* and selection. And they usually deliver within days.

*don't forget to factor in the $1 or 2 that it cost you to drive anywhere now...
+1

99% of my movie purchases are from Amazon...
Old 01-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #17
Gaming Moderator

Aug 2007

You would be surprised how many people still don't use the internet for shopping.

Don't have credit cards
Are afraid of identity theft
Non-computer savvy
Like the B&M shopping experience
Price is no object
Ignorant of prices

Lots of reasons.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #18
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2007
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post
You would be surprised how many people still don't use the internet for shopping.

Don't have credit cards
Non-computer savvy
Price is no object
Ignorant of prices

Lots of reasons.
but its on the rise, Holiday spending was reported down 8% among B&M stores, while online merchants saw a 7% increase, Definitely Good News for the online community
Old 01-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post

Don't have credit cards
Non-computer savvy
Price is no object
Ignorant of prices

Lots of reasons.
Lots of reasons, yes!
Amazon is losing it's edge on pricing.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....uct&id=1919817
$22.99 - Best Buy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rd_i=193640011
$22.99 - Amazon

Then there's the "Have it now, Play it now" thing.
When the price is the same or within ~$2 of amazon and there is no wait(other than the 20 minutes to drive home), I'll take Play it now, For The Win, Alex.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

I, for one, do not prefer to use my credit card online. I will call a place and charge it over the phone, but I have to admit that I am very reluctant to put my credit card information in an online form or stored in a virtual account. I am computer technology savvy, but I come from the old school a bit. I have two good friends who have had to deal with online credit card identity theft on a multi-grand basis each, and that doesn't improve my confidence.

I enjoy the visiting and perusing stores, too (especially now that gasoline has, for now, dropped from $4.00+ a gallon). I also try to get the best price I can (these forums have been very helpful for that).

I'm sure I will do more online shopping in the future (for BDs, and to upgrade my HT - for SURE), but for now, I have bought every BD I own from a B&M (or received them as a gift ).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat