Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Danger: Diabolik (Blu-ray)
$24.96
11 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Vanishing (Blu-ray)
$6.96
3 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
8 hrs ago
Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 01-24-2020, 06:20 PM   #20081
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
This fiasco could be easily avoided by bringing up said titles and stating, “This title not available for purchase but can be converted from disc.” On some titles I have searched they said, “Title not available for conversion but is available for purchase.”

The main reason I go to this trouble is this, I want to know first hand how any given title looks and sounds compared to disc. Hence the purchase of the Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 and Roku Ultra 2019. What two PITA products. If more apps and Dolby Atmos were ever added to my Sony UBP-X1000 then those streamers would be on eBay real quick.

The ONLY time I watch a movie via streaming: the movie is in HD and no equivalent on disc. Example, The Mountain Men (Heston), no BD and my DVD is P&S while the streaming version is 2.39:1. The flip side, Emerald Forest HD streaming version PQ is hardly any better than the DVD but the audio is almost mono while the DVD has a pretty good Dolby Stereo sound. We do watch a fair amount of TV via streaming. When I see or hear the short comings I just tell myself, “Its just streaming.”
There's a lot of room for improvement with digital beyond their anemic bitates, that's for sure. Making a purchase ought to be the easiest part of all.

is on blu-ray. The PQ score is 4.5 while the audio just gets a 3.0. I own it, but I haven't watched it yet.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-E...110530/#Review

Last edited by Vilya; 01-24-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #20082
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Being late to the Streaming Party you'll probably get some other Rude Awakenings!
We were streaming video a LONG time before you even knew what the word was. Been streaming Netflix for almost 14 years. Had others in the early to mid 2000's but have forgotten who and what they were.

Rude Awakenings . Is some of your immature grand kids making these post for you?
Old 01-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #20083
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Incidentally:

The Mountain Men is on blu-ray.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-M...lu-ray/180450/

https://www.amazon.fr/The-Mountain-M...inkCode=xm2&m=

^This seller ships from New Jersey, by the way.

It is also listed on Amazon.uk:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/La-Fureur-s...9891147&sr=8-1
Old 01-24-2020, 07:24 PM   #20084
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
is on blu-ray.
Had The Emerald Forest and Cat People on BD but sold them because the sound track on the DVD is much better. About the first half of The Bounty on LaserDisc was in mono. About the first 60 minutes of the Black Robe is in mono with the remaining in Dolby Stereo (Surround). With so much content being mastered for disc it is inevitable that some mistakes will be made. I can relate to this, when we finished a project, production and technical staff members were required to watch and listen from beginning to end. Every once in a while a little mistake/error would get by a lot of eyes and ears.

Quote:
Incidentally: The Mountain Men is on blu-ray.
Thanks, will look into procuring.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #20085
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Being late to the Streaming Party you'll probably get some other Rude Awakenings!
That sounds like a ringing endorsement for streaming!
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (01-24-2020), RefractiveIndex (01-25-2020), Vilya (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 09:38 PM   #20086
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
Technically all DVDs are anamorphic. Their native aspect ratio is either 1.5:1 (for NTSC DVDs) or 1.25:1 (for PAL DVDs) but they are always meant to be shown at either 1.33:1 or 1.78:1.

Then having versions of films that have been "enhanced for widescreen tvs" is a good thing.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:28 PM   #20087
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

Thanks given by:
Ender14 (01-24-2020), octagon (01-24-2020), Vilya (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 10:53 PM   #20088
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Then having versions of films that have been "enhanced for widescreen tvs" is a good thing.
Except that in the case of True Lies you can't get it unless you happen to have the one magic barcode that will let you buy it in Vudu's disc 2 digital program- assuming that it even is offered in the correct aspect ratio.

And no one wants the pan & scan version of the theatrical cut of The Abyss which is all that they offer through the same weird disc 2 digital method.

It is bizarre that they only offer these films via disc 2 digital as opposed to just selling them to anyone that wants them.

Last edited by Vilya; 01-24-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:17 PM   #20089
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

Quote:
Except that in the case of True Lies you can't get it unless you happen to have the one magic barcode that will let you buy it in Vudu's disc 2 digital program- assuming that it even is offered in the correct aspect ratio.

And no one wants the pan & scan version of the theatrical cut of The Abyss which is all that they offer through the same weird disc 2 digital method.

It is bizarre that they only offer these films via disc 2 digital as opposed to just selling them to anyone that wants them.

It's on HBO, so I'm good for now until they decide to release the BD or 4K disc version.

Last edited by cheez avenger; 01-25-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:38 AM   #20090
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:

I guess that is why you guys are not in the Movie Industry, would you pay extra for Movies that might sell? I'm sure there are a lot of cost to showing these Movies, and you have to budget for the best Profit Margin.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:19 AM   #20091
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
I guess that is why you guys are not in the Movie Industry, would you pay extra for Movies that might sell? I'm sure there are a lot of cost to showing these Movies, and you have to budget for the best Profit Margin.
Your comment doesn't make a lick of sense. Not only are you not in the movie industry, I'm not sure that you are even in your right mind.

I have paid "extra" for many movies, some that are popular and some that are quite obscure. I have been doing so for decades. During the laserdisc era I routinely paid up to $124.99 for a single Criterion release; that's equivalent to paying $221.14 today for just one movie.

Arbitrarily limiting sales to just those doing disc 2 digital conversions restricts sales immensely. Restricting the potential customer pool is not advantageous to making a profit especially when these Vudu conversions are so cheap. Selling a small number of disc 2 digital conversions for $2/$5 each is not making the studio, or Vudu, very much money and making money is the goal of any industry.

The ancient DVD for True Lies sells for $14.99 on Amazon and the special edition of The Abyss on DVD sells for $32.64. It's not too hard to see which is the most profitable here, is it?

If Vudu was selling digital copies of these two movies to everyone that wanted them for prices that are typical of most digital purchases, both they and the studios would be earning a lot more than just the $2/$5 that they are getting from these handful of disc 2 digital conversions that are limited to the very few potential buyers that are in possession of the correct DVD barcode. Access to a digital title is more profitable if more people pay for that access, not less. Seeing as the digital copy exists, offering it to everyone makes more dollars and sense and the latter, sense, is something that you seldom make.

Last edited by Vilya; 01-25-2020 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:55 AM   #20092
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
If Vudu was selling digital copies of these two movies to everyone that wanted them for prices that are typical of most digital purchases, both they and the studios would be earning a lot more than just the $2/$5 that they are getting from these handful of disc 2 digital conversions that are limited to the very few potential buyers that are in possession of the correct DVD barcode. Access to a digital title is more profitable if more people pay for that access, not less. Seeing as the digital copy exists, offering it to everyone makes more dollars and sense and the latter, sense, is something that you seldom make.
In alchav's mind everything that the streaming services do is perfect. Selling a digital movie for $2-$5 only to people who have a specific bar code is obviously far more profitable then selling it to everyone for a higher price because the streaming services can do no wrong. If you were a Hollywood insider like him (gained from his years of installing cables) then it would all make sense.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (01-25-2020), Vilya (01-25-2020), Wendell R. Breland (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #20093
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Old 01-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #20094

Jun 2016
Wisconsin

Quote:
In alchav's mind everything that the streaming services do is perfect. Selling a digital movie for $2-$5 only to people who have a specific bar code is obviously far more profitable then selling it to everyone for a higher price because the streaming services can do no wrong. If you were a Hollywood insider like him (gained from his years of installing cables) then it would all make sense.
No need to resort to personal attacks. I have been nothing but happy with VUDU. Why not buy the DVD somewhere cheap so that you can scan the UPC into VUDU and get the streaming copy?
Thanks given by:
alchav21 (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 01:33 PM   #20095
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesfan129 View Post
No need to resort to personal attacks.
When people say stupid things they should be called on it. Stupid people do a tremendous amount of damage when they are unopposed (or when they outnumber their opposition).
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (01-25-2020), Vilya (01-25-2020), Wendell R. Breland (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 04:10 PM   #20096
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
When people say stupid things they should be called on it. Stupid people do a tremendous amount of damage when they are unopposed (or when they outnumber their opposition).
Here you go when you guys get backed into a corner you start name calling. There is no need for that, we should be civil to each other. As for Vudu, yes I have been with them a long time and have a good Movie Library. You guys think it's so easy to sell Movies, you have to buy those rights then sell them to make a profit. I'm sure there are many ways to buy those rights, with D2D Vudu would only put out certain Discs to convert.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #20097
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Here you go when you guys get backed into a corner you start name calling. There is no need for that, we should be civil to each other. As for Vudu, yes I have been with them a long time and have a good Movie Library. You guys think it's so easy to sell Movies, you have to buy those rights then sell them to make a profit. I'm sure there are many ways to buy those rights, with D2D Vudu would only put out certain Discs to convert.
The only person ever to be found in any corner is you where you are often seated and wearing your favorite hat:

It is obvious to everyone here but your dense self that making a digital copy available to everyone, and at customary digital prices, is far more advantageous and far more profitable than selling that same digital copy for as little as $2 to a very tiny subset of potential customers. Less money is made when you both sell something at a far lower price and to far fewer people; this isn't hard for anyone to comprehend but you.

Last edited by Vilya; 01-25-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:00 PM   #20098
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

My take on the streaming version of True Lies via Vudu. If you are a fan then it may be worth $5, individual call. The PQ was fairly good with a few artifacts, it does not have that “sheen” the D-Theater version has. It is a 2.39:1 presentation. Audio is Dolby Digital (5.1) and not Dolby Digital+ like most streams have.

So I will be keeping my D-Theater version till the UHD BD version comes along.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:03 PM   #20099
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesfan129 View Post
Why not buy the DVD somewhere cheap so that you can scan the UPC into VUDU and get the streaming copy?
To do that, you have to buy the DVD release that contains the precise barcode that Vudu accepts. The barcode on my copy was rejected and there is no guarantee that if I buy another DVD copy that I will get one with the barcode that works.

There are other ways around this, but to convert from the DVD you have to have the exact DVD with the correct barcode.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:05 PM   #20100
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
My take on the streaming version of True Lies via Vudu. If you are a fan then it may be worth $5, individual call. The PQ was fairly good with a few artifacts, it does not have that “sheen” the D-Theater version has. It is a 2.39:1 presentation. Audio is Dolby Digital (5.1) and not Dolby Digital+ like most streams have.

So I will be keeping my D-Theater version till the UHD BD version comes along.
That's good to know. The next time that I accrue enough Vudu credits from watching their free stuff, I will consider using those credits to do this.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology