Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Danger: Diabolik (Blu-ray)
$24.96
11 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Vanishing (Blu-ray)
$6.96
3 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
7 hrs ago
Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 01-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #981
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVH View Post
The Lord of the Rings was done long ago with a somewhat faithful adaptation that flopped miserably,
Though that was a cartoon that only got through part of the story ( ending at Helm's Deep ) and had goofy-looking unfinished effects.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #982
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawn View Post
Though that was a cartoon that only got through part of the story ( ending at Helm's Deep ) and had goofy-looking unfinished effects.
Exactly.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:57 PM   #983
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
The Lord of the Rings was done long ago with a somewhat faithful adaptation that flopped miserably
Except it didn't: it grossed $30m in the US alone on a $4m budget. But between the poor reaction to the film, Bakshi's disputes with United Artists and the industry standard calculation that sequels only made 60% of the original's gross, work on the sequel was abandoned.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:19 PM   #984
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
Except it didn't: it grossed $30m in the US alone on a $4m budget. But between the poor reaction to the film, Bakshi's disputes with United Artists and the industry standard calculation that sequels only made 60% of the original's gross, work on the sequel was abandoned.
To float way, way off topic, I am not sure all of those number or reasons are completely accurate. I am not doubting you either, but I loved that movie back in the day, and have seen and read several interviews from the director, and much was couched in secrecy. I would imagine advertising was massive and the Tolkien estate took a lot in. I also think the budget without advertising was much higher. I clearly recall parents being very upset at the blood, as cartoons simply did not do that then. Cue Heavy Metal around the same time. In was a wonderful time to sneak into theaters.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #985
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
I love Lynch's Dune. Obviously there's problems with the storytelling, primarily the unnecessary internal monologues, but everything else elevates it.
Quote:
I think the internal monologues make it faithful to the source material. Also, my prior comments aren’t meant to say that I don’t love the film, I do. I just know there are several things that make the general public have issues with it. The books, especially the first and fourth, are very complex. Very difficult to get right, but I do think people may be ready for it. The Lord of the Rings was done long ago with a somewhat faithful adaptation that flopped miserably, and we know how the more recent ones turned out. Back in the day, these books were seen as the science fiction equivalents of The Lord of the Rings, so I have high hopes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
Indeed, but what works on the page doesn't necessarily translate well to the screen. Monologues aside, though, I think Lynch did a commendable job in adapting the book.
Last time I watched Lynch's Dune, I felt that there were a bunch of things in the script that could have been improved. Internal dialogue is only one of the things, and I find it extremely odd that the film gives it for multiple characters, even within the same scene. But it bothers me a lot less than the incessant use of exposition (mostly aimed at the audience, which often times has no organic context in the conversation). What bothered me the most was how the last half is glossed over with montages, leaving only the voice-over to explain to us directly how the war was going.

It's as though the film couldn't nail down what exactly needed to be "shown" and what should have been "told." Good writing should by nature show more and tell less--Lynch's Dune kinda does both in a very convoluted way.

Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies juggles a lot of exposition in the same ways (montages, voice-overs). It seems to work better because the actual plot is not chopped to hell as much, the dialogue and narrations seem are married to the story better.

Internal monologues can work on film (as we see in films like Taxi Driver, A Clockwork Orange, Fight Club). It could have worked for Dune if it focused more on character (which is something shown through narration--this happens a little bit in Lynch's movie, but it never seems deep enough) and less on stating the obvious (things that are told to us). Fortunately, I feel as though Villeneuve's films up to now have been made from very good scripts that show a lot and speak very little. It's one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to his adaptation--I'll be very pleased if it bears the same mood, pace, and narrative style that BR2049 and Sicario had.

Last edited by Al_The_Strange; 01-24-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #986

Sep 2011

I'm hoping the release of Villeneuve's Dune leads to a remaster and 4K release for Lynch's Dune.
Thanks given by:
kwisatzhaderach (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #987
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010

I'd love to see it. I read the first book and loved it. And both the original movie and the first remake.

I never was able to get through the second book though. A friend who was a big fan of the series told me the second book was the hardest to read, I tried a couple times but just couldn't get through the political boringness of it.

But the first book was an adventure I loved. I'd enjoy seeing what they do with another movie.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #988
Special Member

May 2009
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post
I'm hoping the release of Villeneuve's Dune leads to a remaster and 4K release for Lynch's Dune.
It's already being done by Koch Media in Germany
Thanks given by:
neveser (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #989
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_The_Strange View Post
Last time I watched Lynch's Dune, I felt that there were a bunch of things in the script that could have been improved. Internal dialogue is only one of the things, and I find it extremely odd that the film gives it for multiple characters, even within the same scene. But it bothers me a lot less than the incessant use of exposition (mostly aimed at the audience, which often times has no organic context in the conversation). What bothered me the most was how the last half is glossed over with montages, leaving only the voice-over to explain to us directly how the war was going.

It's as though the film couldn't nail down what exactly needed to be "shown" and what should have been "told." Good writing should by nature show more and tell less--Lynch's Dune kinda does both in a very convoluted way.

Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies juggles a lot of exposition in the same ways (montages, voice-overs). It seems to work better because the actual plot is not chopped to hell as much, the dialogue and narrations seem are married to the story better.

Internal monologues can work on film (as we see in films like Taxi Driver, A Clockwork Orange, Fight Club). It could have worked for Dune if it focused more on character (which is something shown through narration--this happens a little bit in Lynch's movie, but it never seems deep enough) and less on stating the obvious (things that are told to us). Fortunately, I feel as though Villeneuve's films up to now have been made from very good scripts that show a lot and speak very little. It's one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to his adaptation--I'll be very pleased if it bears the same mood, pace, and narrative style that BR2049 and Sicario had.
Lynch had planned a three hour movie but De Laurentis forced him to cut the movie down to two hours, after they saw an early four hour rough cut, with most of the effects work far from finished. That proved to be an impossible task and the second half now rushes through vast amounts of plot. That’s why they added all these voice overs and the introduction by Princess Irulan, it’s to explain all the stuff that got cut.

Lynch has disowned the movie as it’s not what he had envisioned and he won’t even talk about it in interviews. The film is a train wreck due to studio interference.
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (01-24-2020), Boccaccio (01-24-2020), BouCoupDinkyDau (01-25-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 06:33 PM   #990

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrob View Post
It's already being done by Koch Media in Germany
That's awesome, TY for the info!
Thanks given by:
BouCoupDinkyDau (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 02:31 AM   #991
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
To float way, way off topic, I am not sure all of those number or reasons are completely accurate. I am not doubting you either, but I loved that movie back in the day, and have seen and read several interviews from the director, and much was couched in secrecy. I would imagine advertising was massive and the Tolkien estate took a lot in. I also think the budget without advertising was much higher. I clearly recall parents being very upset at the blood, as cartoons simply did not do that then. Cue Heavy Metal around the same time. In was a wonderful time to sneak into theaters.
The $30m+ domestic gross was reported in Variety and excluded whatever it took overseas (the trades didn't track OS at the time), so even with the money split between UA and Saul Zaentz it showed a profit. Marketing was substantial but not comparable to today - Superman had what was the biggest marketing launch of its day with a $5m spend (though the film's long run in theaters would have pushed it over): in a less fragmented media market, who needed saturation bombing TV spots on dozens of channels when a single TV spot on Three's Company got you 30m eyeballs?

I think Eragon is the best comparison - an intended franchise starter that showed a profit, albeit much lower than expected, but was so poorly received the studio called it a day rather than risk a costly flop sequel, especially with all the backstage aggro.

Last edited by Aclea; 01-25-2020 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:51 AM   #992
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_The_Strange View Post

The big problem with Lynch's version was that no-one really realised how simple the story was, with the producers' awareness of the possibility of numerous sequels leading them to unwisely include characters and world building backstory that merely clutter rather than progress the narrative. The film has no fewer than four sets of introductory scenes filled with endless exposition, exposition, exposition and then, for a change, some more exposition: narrators, secret reports, imperial audiences, computer encyclopedias, voice-overs and constant repetition relentlessly filling in backstory or gaps, giving the feeling of cramming for an exam rather than watching a movie. Yet for all the information overload, much of what really matters in the novel is completely lost (such as the Messianic fraud subplot) while its allegory of Middle East politics is less pronounced than in the SciFi Channel's 2000 TV minsieries. (While the miniseries had better storytelling, it sadly suffered from very obviously never leaving the soundstage.)

It's all reminiscent of the comment that John le Carre's novels are so hard to adapt as movies because they're all plot and no story. John Carter had the same problem. The film never seems to settle down and actually properly start before rushing things because they've wasted so much time even in the longer cut.

If the script concentrates on the characters and story rather than overcomplicating things, it could work, but like all lengthy novels there's the risk of getting lost in the details. For my money the new version's MVP isn't going to be the director, but the writers. If they don't crack it, striking visuals won't save it.
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (01-25-2020), BouCoupDinkyDau (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #993
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Zeta II Reticuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
That’s why they added all these voice overs and the introduction by Princess Irulan, it’s to explain all the stuff that got cut.
Her writings play an important part for fleshing out Muad Dib in the novel. It's pretty intelligent writing honestly. Herbert is giving you the character in advance, chapter by chapter, piece by piece, so that by the time Paul is jihading the shit out of Arrakis, the reader already understands who the Muad Dib is. The character's pre-built in advance.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:11 PM   #994
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouCoupDinkyDau View Post
Her writings play an important part for fleshing out Muad Dib in the novel. It's pretty intelligent writing honestly. Herbert is giving you the character in advance, chapter by chapter, piece by piece, so that by the time Paul is jihading the shit out of Arrakis, the reader already understands who the Muad Dib is. The character's pre-built in advance.
It wasn’t the original plan to start the movie with a big exposition dump though. Storytelling in movies doesn’t work the same way it does in books. I would have preferred the hour of film we lost. Lynch’s Dune could have been great had he been allowed to make the film he had planned. The cast is (mostly) great and what is left of the film looks stunning.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #995
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012

Lynchís movie is brilliant if you just settle for the fact that itís a study in pure exposition as script and cinema. Right down to characters announcing their name with what part they play in the story. The only thing that is letting the movie down is the edit.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:48 PM   #996
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Oxford

As an owner of Lynch's film on blu ray, (and still got my 2 disc dvd from years ago!) my preferred edit is the final one done by 'Spicediver' that combines footage from every possible version, removes huge swathes of the internal dialogue, and clocks in at about 3 hours. Yes, the film is an exposition-fest, but it's allows the story to unfold.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:39 AM   #997
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3D View Post
I'd love to see it. I read the first book and loved it. And both the original movie and the first remake.

I never was able to get through the second book though. A friend who was a big fan of the series told me the second book was the hardest to read, I tried a couple times but just couldn't get through the political boringness of it.

But the first book was an adventure I loved. I'd enjoy seeing what they do with another movie.
Some of the sequel novels are a slog but the fourth is fantastic; I couldn't put it down. Still need to finish the fifth one.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #998
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildWhelk View Post
As an owner of Lynch's film on blu ray, (and still got my 2 disc dvd from years ago!) my preferred edit is the final one done by 'Spicediver' that combines footage from every possible version, removes huge swathes of the internal dialogue, and clocks in at about 3 hours. Yes, the film is an exposition-fest, but it's allows the story to unfold.
Agreed; the Spicediver edit is superb.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #999
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Oxford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ranger View Post
Agreed; the Spicediver edit is superb.
Apparently Spicediver is a professional editor, and has 'redrafted' or re-edited that version of the film a number of times to get the final edit. If Lynch chose to use that as a template for a 'Final Cut' then he could do a lot worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ranger View Post
Some of the sequel novels are a slog but the fourth is fantastic; I couldn't put it down. Still need to finish the fifth one.
Before heading back into the Dune-Verse, i spent a modest amount (mostly through Amazon sellers) on filling out the official sequel novels from Brian Herbert And Kevin Anderson. Paul Of Dune takes place directly after the original Dune novel, and for any Dune fan the prequel 'House' trilogy is 100% required reading. The Legends of Dune are first class, starting with The Butlerian Jihad.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #1000
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildWhelk View Post
Apparently Spicediver is a professional editor, and has 'redrafted' or re-edited that version of the film a number of times to get the final edit. If Lynch chose to use that as a template for a 'Final Cut' then he could do a lot worse.

Before heading back into the Dune-Verse, i spent a modest amount (mostly through Amazon sellers) on filling out the official sequel novels from Brian Herbert And Kevin Anderson. Paul Of Dune takes place directly after the original Dune novel, and for any Dune fan the prequel 'House' trilogy is 100% required reading. The Legends of Dune are first class, starting with The Butlerian Jihad.
Shall add them to my 'to read' list; thanks for the recommendations
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies