Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$33.28
8 hrs ago
The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.31

Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Blu-ray)
$123.49

The Twilight Zone: Season One (Blu-ray)
$37.99

Police Squad!: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Attack on Titan: Season 3, Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

FLCL: Progressive / Alternative (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$10.00
16 hrs ago
The Return of Ultraman (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$31.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 01-25-2020, 01:35 AM   #381

Aug 2012

Yeah, the interview is a truly awful infodump; that information would have been much better presented in a prologue to the episode or even an opening crawl. Or like a Federation TV retrospective that a character watches. Or something.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:47 AM   #382
Power Member

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep5349 View Post
Oh and an Irish Romulan!
Thank you.

That was the one thing that I questioned.

Romulus had an Ireland? Is that why their blood is green?
Old 01-25-2020, 01:59 AM   #383

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricPeterTork View Post
Thank you.

That was the one thing that I questioned.

Romulus had an Ireland? Is that why their blood is green?
Or they learned English from an Irish person? Or that's just meant as an indicator that they're a different "dialect" of Romulan than we're used to seeing. Or it doesn't mean anything at all?
Old 01-25-2020, 02:31 AM   #384
Special Member

Sep 2014

I thought this was a tad underwhelming. It looked very cheap and the story hasn't captured me yet. Hopefully I like the next episode more.
Thanks given by:
jblank (01-27-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 02:33 AM   #385
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012

What’s with all the snide asides to DISCO? It’s the only STAR TREK outside TOS that hit its stride within the first season. And where they ended the second season is super exciting for pushing the story of Trek past the endless treading water we’ve had for nearly twenty years.
Thanks given by:
antinoos (01-29-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 05:56 AM   #386

Jan 2019

I never thought I'd see so much Bourne Identity in a Trek episode! I'm surprised nobody else has noticed this or commented on it.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:02 AM   #387
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJ1991 View Post
I thought this was a tad underwhelming. It looked very cheap and the story hasn't captured me yet. Hopefully I like the next episode more.
Cheap? The effects rival those of Discovery and that show is what, like 6-7 million PER episode? I don't doubt that Picard also has a high budget
Old 01-25-2020, 06:10 AM   #388
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Whatís with all the snide asides to DISCO? Itís the only STAR TREK outside TOS that hit its stride within the first season. And where they ended the second season is super exciting for pushing the story of Trek past the endless treading water weíve had for nearly twenty years.
Discovery is a trainwreck of bad acting, stupid characters, horrible story ideas and offensive to logic itself.

It is everything trek shouldn't be and if you think it is better than any other series of trek off the bat you obviously are looking for something completely different. The ending of discovery s2 is the second stupidest idea they have had in a show where stupid ideas hit you in the face every 30 seconds or so. You are more than welcome to love what you love but that does not mean it isn't offensive and awful. See also The Last Jedi.
Thanks given by:
frogmort (01-29-2020), jblank (01-27-2020), phobicsquirrel (01-25-2020), RedSabbath (01-28-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 06:12 AM   #389
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Cheap? The effects rival those of Discovery and that show is what, like 6-7 million PER episode? I don't doubt that Picard also has a high budget
Yeah I have never seen better effects in any show. It looks better than thrones and that had twice the budget.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #390
Special Member

Aug 2014

This was one of the best episodes of tv I've seen in years. Like damn!
Thanks given by:
Deathbymonkeys (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #391
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbymonkeys View Post
Discovery is a trainwreck of bad acting, stupid characters, horrible story ideas and offensive to logic itself.

It is everything trek shouldn't be and if you think it is better than any other series of trek off the bat you obviously are looking for something completely different. The ending of discovery s2 is the second stupidest idea they have had in a show where stupid ideas hit you in the face every 30 seconds or so. You are more than welcome to love what you love but that does not mean it isn't offensive and awful. See also The Last Jedi.
Iíll take BALDERDASH REPLIES for $1000, Alex.
Thanks given by:
antinoos (01-29-2020), Geoff D (01-28-2020), LeftHandedGuitarist (01-25-2020), Outlander (01-26-2020), solarrdadd (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #392
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013

Thinking about
[Show spoiler]Data, Doctor Jurati explained that due to B4 being an older, inferior android model, the memory transfer was ultimately unsuccessful. As a result, the majority of Data's memories were lost and, in keeping with the Federation's ban on synthetic life, B4 was deactivated and disassembled.

That’s the official story, but what if there’s more to it? What if Data’s memories weren’t completely lost and Maddox managed to secretly save them? We know Maddox created superior models. Just letting my imagination get carried away, but this being Star Trek, who knows.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #393
Power Member

Sep 2007
Indio, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havenbull View Post
The character of Picard is 90 years old in this show. Pat Stew may be acting older than he is.
He might be. We got to see Sir Patrick up close at San Diego Comic Con last year as he signed our Picard posters at the CBS All Access exhibit. He definitely does not come across as old.

(I was uncharacteristically in awe of him that when he looked me in the eye and smiled after signing my poster, all I could say was, "Thank you.")
Old 01-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #394

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
Watching it on my AppleTV 4K, it is 4K Dolby Vision which is amazing for CBS All-Access.
I can conform that Picard is in Dolby Vision on Apple TV 4K, also Dicovery Season 2. I am not sure about it being 4K, the banner shows HD.

IMG_0346.jpg
Old 01-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #395

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep5349 View Post
Thinking about
[Show spoiler]Data, Doctor Jurati explained that due to B4 being an older, inferior android model, the memory transfer was ultimately unsuccessful. As a result, the majority of Data's memories were lost and, in keeping with the Federation's ban on synthetic life, B4 was deactivated and disassembled.

Thatís the official story, but what if thereís more to it? What if Dataís memories werenít completely lost and Maddox managed to secretly save them? We know Maddox created superior models. Just letting my imagination get carried away, but this being Star Trek, who knows.
You're missing the most important part of what they said, which was that theoretically if even one tiny little bit of memory survived, the whole memory could be recovered. Which doesn't really make sense but it's out there now.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:08 PM   #396
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastadge View Post
You're missing the most important part of what they said, which was that theoretically if even one tiny little bit of memory survived, the whole memory could be recovered. Which doesn't really make sense but it's out there now.
I didn’t miss it. Like I said,
[Show spoiler]Maddox could still has access to his memories.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #397
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbob View Post
I can conform that Picard is in Dolby Vision on Apple TV 4K, also Dicovery Season 2. I am not sure about it being 4K, the banner shows HD.

Attachment 234755
are you using the CBSAA app directly or are you streaming it through Amazon Prime to CBSAA? also, are you in the US?

I stream it through Amazon Prime via ATV4K I get 4K/24hz
when I stream it Amazon Prime via my TCL Roku tv I get 1080p/60hz

Last edited by solarrdadd; 01-25-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:29 PM   #398
Special Member

Sep 2014

I think a big reason why it looked cheap to me was the overuse of the warm filter that was washed over every scene on the vineyard. I did watch it on a tablet though so I don't think that did it any favors.

My biggest gripe is that the story doesn't seem interesting yet. I am currently battling the flu so maybe that's a reason as I was having a hard time staying attentive. I think I'll be giving it a second watch before episode 2 to see if it clicks.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:30 PM   #399
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticwaterfall View Post
[Show spoiler]It did, but like I said it was stripped down model that was more like a glorified Alexa then a true being like the EMH was/is. Its capabilities are probably pretty rigidly controlled.
[Show spoiler]I would like to think there would always be exceptions to the rule, perhaps it didn’t cover artificial life forms that had already been recognised as sentient (ie Data and by now likely the Doctor) otherwise it would be an extremely dark time for the Federation with them forcible rounding up and then deactivating/killing sentient individuals.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:56 PM   #400
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
[Show spoiler]I would like to think there would always be exceptions to the rule, perhaps it didnít cover artificial life forms that had already been recognised as sentient (ie Data and by now likely the Doctor) otherwise it would be an extremely dark time for the Federation with them forcible rounding up and then deactivating/killing sentient individuals.
Sounds about right...
[Show spoiler]A refugee crisis, a warning against isolationism, a republicís slide toward fascism, and backwards moves in human rights? Patrick Stewart says ďthere has never been a more important momentĒ for this kind of TV.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows