Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$5.00

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
21 hrs ago
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Midnight Cowboy (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Bull Durham (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Crimson Peak (Blu-ray)
$36.68

Mandy (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 04-10-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
Expert Member

Dec 2010
Default 4K Restoration of Old Malayalam Films

4K Restoration of Old Malayalam Films

A business project to restore old movies to 4K quality picture and 5.1 sound is started by some people (forumkeralam.in)

Some samples of what restoration can achieve

This is still under planning and the work would start mid next year

They are planning to release a Blu Ray + Streaming (Digital) Combo @ Rs.750/-

The focus is on malayalam movies from 1980s and 1990s

The people who are behind this are trying to find out how Blu ray buyers will take this, like is it a good idea or not....

Please share your opinion about this idea.
Download UHD 4K | BD|DVD Databases 2017-2018

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/xl2q...ases_2017-2018
Old 04-11-2018, 06:10 AM   #2
Special Member

Aug 2010
Kochi, KL, IN

4k picture quality - as in 4k remastering/restoration and then downsample to 1080p? Nevertheless, sounds good.

But when it comes to the audio, it's better to keep the original soundtrack as it is, be it mono (the most common), stereo (rare - like Padayottam) or 5.1 (Kaalapaani). Fake 5.1 is a bad idea.

Any idea which films are currently in the pipeline?
The above text is purely based on my own opinion. If you mistake it for some sort of soothsaying, you cannot be more wrong. :-P
Old 04-11-2018, 06:10 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Have they identified specific films and located the available sources of such films? It's easy to say 4K restoration but unless you have an at least halfways decent 35mm source (ON / IP / IN), it's a useless phrase, what we in Mumbai call "Hawa mein baat karna". Also most of these films would have been originally released in mono/stereo. Unless they have access to the original audio stems (which I HIGHLY doubt), the proposed 5.1 mix will be a rubbish automated separation of existing tracks, making for unnatural and distracting sound-field. Apart from YRF which has access to its own material there has thus far not been a single blu-ray of Indian manufacture for a vintage film which has anywhere acceptable quality in terms of faithful reproduction of the original material, so as of now I view this proposal with a lot of skepticism.

Let them give some details of the projects they have identified and give samples of their restoration, either screenshots or video clips and we will have a better idea of what is the true potential of this group.

Also will they be doing separate mastering for blu-ray and streaming sources? What I see in releases by Shemaroo is that the video quality seems more optimized for streaming than for the higher capacity bitrate of physical disc, so we get a handicapped blu-ray.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

And what are these examples of restoration shown in the original post? Linking in this context seems to give the wrong impression that the people proposing this idea for Mallu movies have executed these projects while actually they have nothing to do with them. A Brighter Summer Day is an in-house Criterion restoration from a scan by L'Imagine Ritrovata.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #5

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
And what are these examples of restoration shown in the original post? Linking in this context seems to give the wrong impression that the people proposing this idea for Mallu movies have executed these projects while actually they have nothing to do with them. A Brighter Summer Day is an in-house Criterion restoration from a scan by L'Imagine Ritrovata.
Hi, I am one of the guy behind this proposed plan. I am a VFX artist by profession.Hope you have read the first post carefully .This project is still under planning. We posted this topic on other forum to know peoples interest in buying a old movie Blu-ray.Because we don't want to invest lakhs of money if no one is interested.From your writing I believe you have a good knowledge on restoration. So you must know how much a wetgate scanner cost.
Regarding the videos posted here,Of course we have no relation with that restorations. We just posted random restoration videos for that forum members to get an idea on what a restoration can achieve.
We are in talks with authorities to know if there is a Chance of getting original negative of the movies we are planning.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
rajivnedungadi (04-11-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 03:43 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Theoretically it's a good idea, but a lot depends on the specific titles and the cost of acquiring them so unless you mention specific titles (and you get an estimate of how much it will cost you to acquire them) you may not get a useful idea of what is the demand. The demand for a His Highness Abdullah will not be the same as the demand for a Swaham, and the cost and feasibility of acquisition will also vary.

4K restoration is a term that has become recently fashionable but a 2K or even HD restoration can also give strong quality blu-ray provided the source is good and scanning and digital corrections are handled right. In fact most independent labels that are not Criterion do not perform 4K restorations in-house. Even Criterion/Arrow still handle a lot of 2K restorations when they do not envisage the returns of a 4K restoration. Do you plan to buy your own scanner?
Old 04-12-2018, 05:14 AM   #7

Apr 2018

Quote:
Theoretically it's a good idea, but a lot depends on the specific titles and the cost of acquiring them so unless you mention specific titles (and you get an estimate of how much it will cost you to acquire them) you may not get a useful idea of what is the demand. The demand for a His Highness Abdullah will not be the same as the demand for a Swaham, and the cost and feasibility of acquisition will also vary.

4K restoration is a term that has become recently fashionable but a 2K or even HD restoration can also give strong quality blu-ray provided the source is good and scanning and digital corrections are handled right. In fact most independent labels that are not Criterion do not perform 4K restorations in-house. Even Criterion/Arrow still handle a lot of 2K restorations when they do not envisage the returns of a 4K restoration. Do you plan to buy your own scanner?
Yes we know a HD or 2K restoration is enough for Blu-ray release now.Even though we scan the movies at 4K, the Blu-ray release will be limited to a maximum resolution of 2K. The reason behind 4K scanning is, we don't know what people want 10-15 years later. They may want a 4K Blu-ray release at that time. So if we just done a 2K scanning now and the customer requirement is a 4K product 10 years later,we have to redo the entire process of restoration.
Regarding titles. We have not finalised the titles but we have shortlisted some movies.
Yes we are planning to buy a scanner.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #8

Aug 2012

Which are the shortlisted movies as of now?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

One suggestion is that you can try for popular movies that have also won some National award. The reason is that AFAIK all National Award winning films, one 35mm copy is supposed to be deposited with the National Film Archives in Pune. The preservation there is likely to be better than with many of the private studios / labs. No idea how easy it is to negotiate with them but they do give out reels for screening at festivals etc.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #10
Expert Member

Dec 2010

Below are the 10 movies that they have thought of...

* Thoovanathumbikal
* Nair Saab
* Oru Vadakkan Veeragadha
* Panchavadi Paalam
* Boeing Boeing/Chithram/kilukkam/Thalavattam (One from this list)
* Godfather
* Manichitrathazhu
* Mrigaya
* Dasaratham
* New Delhi

Old 04-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

I'd be very interested in Oru Vadakkan Veeragadha. Not seen in available even on DVD, and it has won National Awards for screenplay and costume design so the NFAI should have a 35mm print, if not a negative. A decent source with a good restoration should make this an eye-candy movie.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Is Thoovanathumbikal available in subtitled form anywhere? I read the gist of the film and I find it immensely intriguing. Can't find any DVD on Amazon or Induna.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #13
Expert Member

Dec 2010

Quote:
Is Thoovanathumbikal available in subtitled form anywhere? I read the gist of the film and I find it immensely intriguing. Can't find any DVD on Amazon or Induna.
I have the DVD. It was released in 2016. Not sure about subtitles. You can download the Malayalam DVD Database from my signature and get more details about the title

Old 05-12-2018, 07:13 AM   #14

Aug 2012

Any updates
Old 05-15-2018, 10:26 PM   #15
Expert Member

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapkerala View Post
Any updates
This is at least 2 years away