Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
World of Wong Kar Wai (Blu-ray)
$159.99
1 day ago
Accepted (Blu-ray)
$8.99
14 hrs ago
Groundhog Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
6 hrs ago
The Invisible Man Appears / The Invisible Man vs The Human Fly (Blu-ray)
$39.99
20 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$81.99

Rick and Morty: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$13.99
1 day ago
Sicario 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Love and Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.32

2012 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
5 hrs ago
V for Vendetta 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Us 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$69.43

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-13-2021, 09:49 PM   #2981
Special Member

Feb 2019
The Old Willow's Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebunk View Post
As mentioned earlier up thread, I attempted to make this post the other day but technical issues forced me to start from scratch thus, here we are...

2020, while being a mostly crap year for many reasons, was great for me when it came to discovering new, favorite films while engaging in some great discussions here. This thread especially has become a specific highlight in the last couple of months as well and this post is dedicated to every cool soul that has contributed to this thread. Without further ado, the following are my Ten Favorite Blind Buy BluRays of 2020 (even though most of these were not released in this year) preceded by six Honorable Mentions. As a heads-up, some of the cover art within the spoiler tags may be NSFW so please be aware before clicking:

[Show spoiler]Honorable Mentions (in no order):

- What Have You Done to Solange (Arrow)
- I am Sartana, Your Angel of Death (Arrow)
- Don't Torture a Duckling (Arrow)
- Lady Snowblood (Criterion)
- Public Affairs (Vinegar Syndrome)
- Your Vice is a Locked Room, and Only I Have the Key (Arrow)

[Show spoiler]Venom (Blue Underground)

This movie won't change your life but hey, that's ok. A genre mashup consisting of a kidnapping caper, a methodical police procedural with one of the most deadly snakes on the loose?! Plus Klaus Kinski?! All in one movie?! And yes, its damn good!

[Show spoiler]Raw Force (Vinegar Syndrome)

Yes, a genre mashup followed by another genre mashup (Spoiler Alert: this will be a trend on this list). This time you get an actioner starring martial arts teachers on vacation (and Cameron Mitchell) who go to a scenic island controlled by vile Asian monks and their zombie henchman who sacrifice naked women. This should be part of any genre starter pack IMO.

[Show spoiler]Possession (Mondo Vision)

This film will likely grow higher in the rankings with future re-watches. For now I am captivated by the absolute assault on the senses that is this movie and the killer performances within. Like Lynch's best work, it seems the clues are there for viewers to piece the story together for themselves rather then having their back rubbed and plot told for them. A film you may not love, let alone even enjoy upon initial viewing is guaranteed at the very least to not leave your mind for the many days to follow.

[Show spoiler]Zombie (Blue Underground)

A movie I did not get around to watching until this year (yeah, yeah, I know). Growing up, while I loved horror films (especially slashers), I was never really into Zombie movies. This year I finally got around to fixing this with time on my side and a willingness to erase the awfulness that the memory of The Walking Dead series left on mind. While I have not entirely bought into all of the hype around most of Fulci's work, I have to admit, the man could definitely film memorable scenes. I have watched Zombie on three separate occasions this year and my appreciation for it has grown with each viewing.

[Show spoiler]The Case of the Scorpion’s Tail (Arrow)

My favorite giallo thus far. A (fairly) comprehensible plot, a charming George Hilton, some gory murders and a stunning Anita Strindberg are among the chief highlights. If you like or want to explore the "Jet Set" side of the genre, this is the best example I have seen thus far.

[Show spoiler]Massacre in Dinosaur Valley (Severin)

Another "mixtape" like example of CF. Think a sleazy, low budget Italian version of Indiana Jones with Cannibals, nudity and a ton of one-liners and you won't be far off.

[Show spoiler]Turkey Shoot (Severin)

Out of all of the Severin films I blind bought this year, Turkey Shoot was perhaps the biggest surprise. I was not expecting much from this 6+ year old catalog title as it never really seemed to get mentioned much. But for my tastes this like the previously mentioned Massacre in Dinosaur Valley, Turkey Shoot ticked all the right boxes. If you enjoy movies of people being hunted down for fun in a dystopian future by the "haves" with inventive kills and memorable characters, then this is for you.

[Show spoiler]The Swimmer (Grindhouse Releasing)

A film that is both of, and ahead of its time, The Swimmer belongs in the conversation as one of the best American films of the 60s. Best to go in blind and avoid spoilers.

[Show spoiler]The Tough Ones (Grindhouse Releasing)

Lenzi’s versatility is on full display here proving that he is adapt at directing a solid, top tier Italian Crime Actioner that is propelled further via Mauricio Merli’s charisma and moustache. I have watched this film 3 times since watching it for the first time in November and it still makes me smile ear to ear with each viewing.

[Show spoiler]Who Can Kill A Child (Mondo Macabro)

This is the film that re-ignited my love for home video collecting this past Spring as I started to delve more into this side of the forum, starting with the Vinegar Syndrome and then the Mondo Macabro dedicated threads. A straight ahead horror film that holds up as well today as I imagine it did when it was released. How this film is not talked about when discussing or listing the horror classics of the 70s is beyond me. A forgotten classic and my favorite blind buy of 2020.
Great list bunk! I definitely gotta check out Raw Force.

I actually had Venom on order from Amazon... but they lost it in the mail and I ended up getting a refund... I haven't re-placed the order yet though.... probably should!
Thanks given by:
Papaw (01-13-2021), Thebunk (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 09:56 PM   #2982
Special Member

Feb 2019
The Old Willow's Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by horroru View Post
My Favorite discoveries last year, in no order, from what I remember:

[Show spoiler]DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS
A dreamlike 70's erotic classic in an amazing 4K presentation.

MASSACRE IN DINOSAUR VALLEY
This film is just a low budget blast - babes, piranhas, cannibals, quicksand, it's an 80's Italian adventure that's got it all.

BECKY
This is a current film, but I could easily see it playing in a grindhouse. Little girl vs neo-nazis, with plenty of gore to spare.

I, MONSTER
It's Cushing + Lee always = greatness, wanted to see this for a long time, glad Indicator put it out.

THE COMPLETE LENZI/BAKER GIALLO COLLECTION (Orgasmo / So Sweet... So Perverse / A Quiet Place to Kill / Knife of Ice)
Hadn't seen any of these gialli before, fantastic collection.

CRISS CROSS
A noir that piqued my interested since it stars Burt Lancaster and Yvonne DeCarlo - a very dark one indeed. (there is a US version too but from the reviews I picked up the UK one for the better picture quality)

REVENGE
Another current film but a modern take on classic grindhouse. (I own the US and the UK special edition)

BEAST AND THE MAGIC SWORD
Another "always wanted to see" flick, Naschy/Daninsky werewolf runs amuck in Japan? Yes please!

BEYOND THE DOOR III
I wasn't expecting much from this one, and what I got was a batshit crazy everything but the kitchen sink Italian horror not filmed in Italy - hell of a lot of fun!

HOLIDAY
Yes another modern choice, a really bold film debut for director Isabella Eklöf. Don't get hung up on Dr Svet's review here (he brings so much personal bias into his reviews, and he's dead wrong on this one plus he gives away the whole plot). All I can say is that it's "sunniest" noir I've ever seen, not for everyone but for the adventurous.

Lots of Honorable Mentions too:
[Show spoiler] (Would have made the main list if picture quality was better, but an ESSENTIAL Sergio Martino/ Edwige Fenech giallo)

Awesome list my friend! You've got a few on here that I'm not familiar with... but I will look them up!

I've been floundering on whether to pick up the Daughters Of Darkess 4K... I used to own that film on DVD years back but ended up getting rid of it because I felt it was too drawn-out and slow (with very infrequent action)... however, my taste for atmospheric slow burns has changed over the years... so I'm starting to think I ought to pick it up.

I do have I, Monster on order from Indicator though.... really looking forward to that one. It has been on my wishlist for years and now that I'm region free I can finally have it in my collection!
Thanks given by:
horroru (01-13-2021), Papaw (01-13-2021), Steedeel (01-13-2021), Thebunk (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 09:56 PM   #2983
Power Member

Apr 2009
The City Of Roses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEricVornoff View Post
Great list bunk! I definitely gotta check out Raw Force.

I actually had Venom on order from Amazon... but they lost it in the mail and I ended up getting a refund... I haven't re-placed the order yet though.... probably should!
Oh man, you MUST get a copy of Raw Force ! That's mandatory ownership for any CF fan if ya' ask me.
Thanks given by:
blashyrkh66 (01-14-2021), DrEricVornoff (01-13-2021), gbm82 (01-13-2021), horroru (01-13-2021), Papaw (01-13-2021), Spasmo (01-13-2021), Thebunk (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:13 PM   #2984

Nov 2017
Melbourne, Victoria

I watched my first Rollin' over the last couple of nights since seeing Lips of Blood on TV as a kid.

I also have Lips of Blood still en route to revisit but last night I watched The Escapees and the previous night I watched Fascination.

I really enjoyed both, the dreamy mood is certainly similar to the top tier early Franco stuff. The Escapees was my favourite of the two, but not by much. Looking forward to The Iron Rose next.
Thanks given by:
blashyrkh66 (01-14-2021), horroru (01-13-2021), Papaw (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:14 PM   #2985
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
Maryland

Daughters of Darkness is dripping with atmosphere. I love slow burns and it's one of my favorite discoveries of 2020. Great soundtrack too!
Thanks given by:
blashyrkh66 (01-14-2021), DrEricVornoff (01-14-2021), horroru (01-13-2021), Papaw (01-13-2021), Spasmo (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:15 PM   #2986
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2019

Perhaps this could lead to some interesting discussion... here's my list of the worst films I watched this year.
Some of them had interesting ideas and are probably even beloved by other people, but none of these worked for my sensibilities:

Victor Crowley
I'm Dreaming of a White Doomsday
Deep Web XXX
Drag Me To Hell
Mutants
Blood Fest
The Scarlet Worm (someone, in one of the threads, recently posted a positive review that made me think I do need to revisit this one...)
DVD titles:
This Hollow Sacrament (edit: oh yeah, this too was filmed near where I grew up... I guess that area just breeds terrible films...)
Franky and His Pals (this was filmed near where I grew up, but it's frankly terrible)
Hate Crime

And to end this on a positive note, these were my favorite titles I watched last year on DVD:
Flexing with Monty
Sledgehammer
Marquis de Sade's Prosperities of Vice
Bijou (there is an OOP BD I believe)
Manson Family Movies
Alucarda
Mansion of Madness
Nails (should be coming to BD this year!)

Some takeaways for the year: I watched a lot of new films last year and enjoyed almost all of them. Modern horror is very hit or miss for me, there's some great stuff still coming out. But something changed in the 90s where bad movies went from fun, to just over-violent or boring for me.

Last edited by gbm82; 01-13-2021 at 10:22 PM.
Thanks given by:
blashyrkh66 (01-15-2021), DaveyJoe (01-13-2021), horroru (01-13-2021), Papaw (01-13-2021), Spasmo (01-13-2021), Steedeel (01-13-2021), Thebunk (01-13-2021), TwiStedByDeSign86 (01-14-2021), wicky_J (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:16 PM   #2987
Power Member

Jan 2013
Canada

Great list Doc and way to raise the bar! I really need to give Larraz another good shot as I have the boxset and Symptoms,

Now who is next to give us a list . . .
Thanks given by:
DrEricVornoff (01-14-2021), Papaw (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:27 PM   #2988
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010

Quote:
Awesome list my friend! You've got a few on here that I'm not familiar with... but I will look them up!

I've been floundering on whether to pick up the Daughters Of Darkess 4K... I used to own that film on DVD years back but ended up getting rid of it because I felt it was too drawn-out and slow (with very infrequent action)... however, my taste for atmospheric slow burns has changed over the years... so I'm starting to think I ought to pick it up.

I do have I, Monster on order from Indicator though.... really looking forward to that one. It has been on my wishlist for years and now that I'm region free I can finally have it in my collection!
DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS is definitely akin to something like SYMPTOMS in terms of pace - since you dig Larraz and are getting into Rollin, I think you'll see this one through different eyes and love it.

Great point you brought up - when I was younger, I didn't get into gialli because they weren't like FRIDAY THE 13th and HALLOWEEN, so I completely ignored them. Then years later I saw BLOOD AND BLACK LACE and was like what have I been missing all my life!

People's tastes and more importantly perspectives change over time (weirdly I find I'm MORE open minded as I get older to different types of films) and something you may not have liked years ago you'll like now.

I have a feeling when I was younger I would have dismissed MASSACRE IN DINOSAUR VALLEY and BEYOND THE DOOR III because they were low budget schlocky productions. Now that I know more about how films are made, have seen many films from many decades, I see these films now and think shit these are lost gems that are low budget but have tons of energy, creativity, capture their time period, and their style will never been seen again. And I love them for those reasons.
Thanks given by:
blashyrkh66 (01-14-2021), DrEricVornoff (01-13-2021), gbm82 (01-13-2021), Leeon0 (01-13-2021), Papaw (01-13-2021), Spasmo (01-13-2021), Thebunk (01-13-2021), trentdiesel (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:30 PM   #2989
Power Member

Apr 2009
The City Of Roses

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm82 View Post
Nails (should be coming to BD this year!)
Is that the Andrey Iskanov one ? I really like his stuff.
Thanks given by:
gbm82 (01-13-2021), Papaw (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:31 PM   #2990
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2019

Beyond the Door III almost jumped the tracks to my best of list... but 2020 was long enough without adding movies I watched in 2019 to it...

Last edited by gbm82; 01-13-2021 at 10:39 PM.
Thanks given by:
horroru (01-13-2021), Papaw (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:38 PM   #2991
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicky_J View Post
Is that the Andrey Iskanov one ? I really like his stuff.
yep. It's the only movie I've watched of his but I'm getting that box set whenever it comes out. (from Massacre, I think?)

I bought a bunch of Unearthed DVDs from the grindhouse 3for2 pile sometime ago and it was interesting going through them (might still have a couple to watch still). Some great stuff and some stuff that I couldn't wait for it to be over...and then there was Frankenstein's Bloody Nightmare which I felt both ways about.
Thanks given by:
Papaw (01-13-2021), wicky_J (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:45 PM   #2992
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2017
Los Angeles

In no particular order, here's my 10 favorite blu-ray blind buys of the year (to be honest, though, this was almost all of the blind buys I made this year - most of the movies I purchased in 2020 were ones that I had seen before):

GRAVE ROBBERS
CEMETERY OF TERROR
DON'T PANIC
PIGS
I START COUNTING
ACTION USA
BRIDE WITH WHITE HAIR
BABA YAGA
JESUS SHOWS YOU THE WAY TO THE HIGHWAY
CRUMBS
Thanks given by:
blashyrkh66 (01-14-2021), DrEricVornoff (01-14-2021), horroru (01-13-2021), Papaw (01-13-2021), Spasmo (01-13-2021), Steedeel (01-13-2021), Thebunk (01-14-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 11:05 PM   #2993
Power Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
As mentioned earlier up thread, I attempted to make this post the other day but technical issues forced me to start from scratch thus, here we are...

2020, while being a mostly crap year for many reasons, was great for me when it came to discovering new, favorite films while engaging in some great discussions here. This thread especially has become a specific highlight in the last couple of months as well and this post is dedicated to every cool soul that has contributed to this thread. Without further ado, the following are my Ten Favorite Blind Buy BluRays of 2020 (even though most of these were not released in this year) preceded by six Honorable Mentions. As a heads-up, some of the cover art within the spoiler tags may be NSFW so please be aware before clicking:

Honorable Mentions (in no order):

This movie won't change your life but hey, that's ok. A genre mashup consisting of a kidnapping caper, a methodical police procedural with one of the most deadly snakes on the loose?! Plus Klaus Kinski?! All in one movie?! And yes, its damn good!

Yes, a genre mashup followed by another genre mashup (Spoiler Alert: this will be a trend on this list). This time you get an actioner starring martial arts teachers on vacation (and Cameron Mitchell) who go to a scenic island controlled by vile Asian monks and their zombie henchman who sacrifice naked women. This should be part of any genre starter pack IMO.

This film will likely grow higher in the rankings with future re-watches. For now I am captivated by the absolute assault on the senses that is this movie and the killer performances within. Like Lynch's best work, it seems the clues are there for viewers to piece the story together for themselves rather then having their back rubbed and plot told for them. A film you may not love, let alone even enjoy upon initial viewing is guaranteed at the very least to not leave your mind for the many days to follow.

A movie I did not get around to watching until this year (yeah, yeah, I know). Growing up, while I loved horror films (especially slashers), I was never really into Zombie movies. This year I finally got around to fixing this with time on my side and a willingness to erase the awfulness that the memory of The Walking Dead series left on mind. While I have not entirely bought into all of the hype around most of Fulci's work, I have to admit, the man could definitely film memorable scenes. I have watched Zombie on three separate occasions this year and my appreciation for it has grown with each viewing.

My favorite giallo thus far. A (fairly) comprehensible plot, a charming George Hilton, some gory murders and a stunning Anita Strindberg are among the chief highlights. If you like or want to explore the "Jet Set" side of the genre, this is the best example I have seen thus far.

Another "mixtape" like example of CF. Think a sleazy, low budget Italian version of Indiana Jones with Cannibals, nudity and a ton of one-liners and you won't be far off.

Out of all of the Severin films I blind bought this year, Turkey Shoot was perhaps the biggest surprise. I was not expecting much from this 6+ year old catalog title as it never really seemed to get mentioned much. But for my tastes this like the previously mentioned Massacre in Dinosaur Valley, Turkey Shoot ticked all the right boxes. If you enjoy movies of people being hunted down for fun in a dystopian future by the "haves" with inventive kills and memorable characters, then this is for you.

A film that is both of, and ahead of its time, The Swimmer belongs in the conversation as one of the best American films of the 60s. Best to go in blind and avoid spoilers.

Lenzi’s versatility is on full display here proving that he is adapt at directing a solid, top tier Italian Crime Actioner that is propelled further via Mauricio Merli’s charisma and moustache. I have watched this film 3 times since watching it for the first time in November and it still makes me smile ear to ear with each viewing.

This is the film that re-ignited my love for home video collecting this past Spring as I started to delve more into this side of the forum, starting with the Vinegar Syndrome and then the Mondo Macabro dedicated threads. A straight ahead horror film that holds up as well today as I imagine it did when it was released. How this film is not talked about when discussing or listing the horror classics of the 70s is beyond me. A forgotten classic and my favorite blind buy of 2020.
So many great titles here, but I'll comment (sorta) on Who Can Kill a Child by referencing an older post of mine in the MM thread. Spoilers involved in case anyone hasn't seen it. There's a little something there about Silip too, so heads up in case anyone hasn't seen that one as well. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=5106
Thanks given by:
horroru (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 11:08 PM   #2994

Sep 2020
Canada

What the hell. Here are my Top 25 discoveries from 2020 (in no particular order):

111906_large.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-13 Firecracker (1981).jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-13 The Damned (1963).jpg

76297-death-wish-club-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-13 Alucarda (1977).jpg

Thanks given by:
blashyrkh66 (01-14-2021), DrEricVornoff (01-14-2021), Leeon0 (01-13-2021), OceanBlue (01-13-2021), Papaw (01-13-2021), Steedeel (01-13-2021), Thebunk (01-14-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 11:10 PM   #2995
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:

I have been meaning to get Mondo Macabro's release. I think it's because I missed out on the red case edition with booklet (ditto with Dangerous Cargo). Eureka released it on DVD, but haven't done a Blu-ray upgrade of it (maybe they've lost the license to release it?).
Thanks given by:
DrEricVornoff (01-14-2021), Steedeel (01-13-2021), Thebunk (01-14-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 11:11 PM   #2996

Sep 2020
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by horroru View Post
DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS is definitely akin to something like SYMPTOMS in terms of pace - since you dig Larraz and are getting into Rollin, I think you'll see this one through different eyes and love it.

Great point you brought up - when I was younger, I didn't get into gialli because they weren't like FRIDAY THE 13th and HALLOWEEN, so I completely ignored them. Then years later I saw BLOOD AND BLACK LACE and was like what have I been missing all my life!

People's tastes and more importantly perspectives change over time (weirdly I find I'm MORE open minded as I get older to different types of films) and something you may not have liked years ago you'll like now.

I have a feeling when I was younger I would have dismissed MASSACRE IN DINOSAUR VALLEY and BEYOND THE DOOR III because they were low budget schlocky productions. Now that I know more about how films are made, have seen many films from many decades, I see these films now and think shit these are lost gems that are low budget but have tons of energy, creativity, capture their time period, and their style will never been seen again. And I love them for those reasons.
I got the new DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS 4K/bluray and rewatched it a few days ago. I had seen it once several years ago and thought it was ok, but watching it a second time I thought it was really good. Yes, it has a slow pace, but there's actually lots going on and Delphine Seyrig is mesmerizing. And it's just dripping with so much atmosphere.
Thanks given by:
horroru (01-14-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 11:17 PM   #2997
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Doc Vornoff's 25 Best Blind-Buy's of 2020

Taking a cue from my good friend the bunk (and others)... here is my list of the 25 best blind-buys I made in 2020.

I apologize... 2020 was such a great year of discovery and new purchases that I couldn't keep it to 10!

[Show spoiler]
Sometimes Aunt Martha Does Dreadful Things
A really fun, low budget romp shot in Florida. An early example of "queer" cinema.

[Show spoiler]
Grapes Of Death
My first exposure to Jean Rollin.

[Show spoiler]
Malabimba
Really sexy adult feature that mixes gothic horror, classic erotica, and a little nunsploitation!

[Show spoiler]
Black Candles
Devil worship, nudity, sex, zoophilia, murder, and sleaze. All directed by the great José Larraz!

[Show spoiler]
Massacre At Central High
The fore-runner to Heathers about bullies in school and a one man's quest for vengeance.

[Show spoiler]
Billy The Kid vs. Dracula
Plays like an episode of Bonanza if it were directed by Al Adamson and featured Dracula!

[Show spoiler]
Symptoms
An atmospheric, slow burn thriller about two friends staying in a European manor where things arent't what they seem! Also directed by the great José Larraz.

[Show spoiler]
Red Roses Of Passion
My first exposure to underground director Joe Sarno. A biting satire of traditional suburban values and cults!

[Show spoiler]
Curse Of The Undead
Another great marriage of genres - Horror and Westerns! With a great story, acting, and pacing to boot... you can't lose!

[Show spoiler]
Satanico Pandemonium
A dreamy, symbolic, and ultra-sexy slice of nunsploitation! It's a real treat!

[Show spoiler]
Detour
A hitch-hiking, out-of-work piano player goes on the run when the man who gave him a ride ends up dead. But when he picks up a vicious woman with her own agenda - he gets more than he ever bargained for! A fantastic noir thriller from a low budget, "poverty row" studio directed by Edgar Ulmer.

[Show spoiler]
Burial Ground
Zombies attacking a vacationing group at a palacial estate. Smells like death to me!

[Show spoiler]
Spookies
Originally meant to be one movie. But when legal troubles caused the production to shut down - another director picked it up and re-shot new footage and created a new "frankenstein monster" of a film. Cheesy acting, cool special effect, 80's horror charm... I LOVE IT!

[Show spoiler]
The Lenzi/Baker Giallo Collection
Possibly the best release by boutique label Severin of 2020. This set is what caused me to get bitten by the giallo bug!

[Show spoiler]
The Brood
I had never seen this classic David Cronenberg film until this year - but after watching it twice in one week - I believe it just might be my favorite Cronenberg film of all time!

[Show spoiler]
Blood Hunger: The Films Of José Larraz
The great José Larraz has already had 2 films in this countdown. Well, this box set is a survey of 3 of his finest films. This is possibly my favorite boxed release acquisition of the year! Highly recommended!

[Show spoiler]
Doctor Butcher MD (Zombie Holocaust)
Zombies, a witch doctor, gore, and borrowed sets (and actors) from Lucio Fulci's Zombi 2 - what's not to like about this??

[Show spoiler]
Blood And Black Lace
Possibly the ultimate Giallo film of all time - if not, it's at least the first truly great Giallo film of the genre - a film that went on to inspire all of the classic Giallo directors - and continues to inspire today!

[Show spoiler]
Truck Turner

A slick, fast-paced, funky, action-filled blaxpoitation gem! One of my favorite film discoveries of the year! And the star, the late great Isaac Hayes, does all of the great music from the film! It even has Star Trek's Nichelle Nichols in a sassy, foul-mouthed role that you'll never forget!

[Show spoiler]
Massacre At Dinosaur Alley
I'll quote my friend the bunk who summed this 80s gem of a film up... it's like Indiana Jones meets jungle/cannibal films. Great action, great gore, great nudity, great pacing, and catchy soundtrack!

[Show spoiler]
Fall Break (The Mutilator)
I found this film for the first time this year and not only is it one of the top slasher films of the 1980s (with legendary gore and kills)... but it holds a special place in my heart because it was shot on location where my family and I used to vacation every year when I was a kid!

[Show spoiler]
Alice, Sweet Alice
One of the best blind buys of the entire year. This film has so much going for it - I feel like it is the film that bridged the gap from Italian Giallo films to the American Slasher film genre. Plus, having grown up Catholic myself - this film has a lot to say about Catholic Church and its traditions. If you don't have this film in your collection - get it!

[Show spoiler]
The Swimmer
A time capsule film of mid/late 60s New England upper-middle class suburbia. Martini glasses and all. Burt Lancaster is phenomenal in IMHO the performance of his career as an aging family man who decides to swim his way home from work utilizing all of the neighborhood pools between work and his house. A fantastic film full of symbolism that engages the viewer from start to finish. Such a great film!

[Show spoiler]
The Fan

I don't think I can say much more about this film that I already haven't said. If you don't believe me, check out all of the posts I put in the Mondo Macabro thread. A fantastic film about a young girl's obsession with her favorite pop star. Couple that with one of the most infectious new wave German synth band soundtracks and you have one helluva great film!

[Show spoiler]
Blood On Satan's Claw
I guess I have a soft spot for 60s and 70s British horror (like Hammer, Amicus, Tigon, and others). But I also have a soft spot for period "folk horror" involving witchfinding, devil worship, puritanical supression, and peasants losing their way in the forest. This film (along with The Wicker Man) is one of the best examples of British "folk horror" films and it belongs in ALL Cinéma Fantastique collections!

Here's to a New Year, many more great releases to come, and the continued growth of this fantastic thread!
Thanks for that. I’m with you in regard to 70’s stuff like Them!wicker Man. Boy, do I love that film!

My pick of your list would be ‘The Fan’. Enjoyed the crap out of that one.
Thanks given by:
DrEricVornoff (01-14-2021), Leeon0 (01-13-2021), Thebunk (01-14-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 11:18 PM   #2998
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmo View Post
What the hell. Here are my Top 25 discoveries from 2020 (in no particular order):

Attachment 253997

Attachment 253999

Attachment 254000

Attachment 253998

Attachment 254001

Again, nice list. Plenty of variety with folks faves.
Thanks given by:
horroru (01-14-2021), Spasmo (01-13-2021), Thebunk (01-14-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 11:20 PM   #2999
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:

Honorable Mentions (in no order):

You guys are killing it. Many of us will be getting our wallets out again!
Thanks given by:
Papaw (01-13-2021), Thebunk (01-14-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 11:22 PM   #3000

Jan 2021

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks given by:
DaveyJoe (01-14-2021), Leeon0 (01-14-2021), OceanBlue (01-14-2021), Spasmo (01-13-2021), Steedeel (01-13-2021), Thebunk (01-14-2021), wicky_J (01-13-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America