Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.42
13 hrs ago
Alien 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Game of Thrones 4K: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Batman 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Batman Returns 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Jack Ryan: 5-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Creed II 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman Forever 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Ralph Breaks the Internet 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.51
16 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 03-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #881
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
Ok I want that too. ...Seems to be solid enough. Plus I see no curves on the front.

And it comes with Dolby Vision and 3D support? ...DTS-X, Auro-3D and Doby Atomas?
If not it's all yours.
It has an RF demodulator built in and is the last to do so
Old 03-26-2019, 10:25 PM   #882

Mar 2019
United Kingdom

Doesn't surprise me, the Samsung thing. The M9000 is a disaster. I think it's more about the inabilty to construct a decent player coupled with poor management when it comes to quality control and feature implementation rather than an entire format coming to an end.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:59 PM   #883
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
Its been well documented that one of the reasons OPPO Digital INC stopped making Blu-ray players was because of inflation in high quality Chinese parts. Cambridge Audio before that company stopped making players also raised the price a little because of the inflation on the parts used to assemble the players in China. One of the reasons the latest USA Pioneer Blu-ray player is $1,100 with less input and output jacks when compared to OPPO, is because of the parts to assemble these players costing more. Sony's latest Blu-ray player is going to cost $400 and you might not see the type of price cut around late November 2019 that you are use to seeing on Blu-ray players. Electronics are going up in price a little, even the $50 entry level Blu-ray players might be $60 or $75 this year, its hard to say for sure.
And that is why its dying.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #884
Expert Member

Jul 2009
Canada

What is dying? Sales figures of UHD keeps climbing every quarter
Thanks given by:
tama (04-16-2019), Wendell R. Breland (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 07:57 PM   #885
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
And that is why its dying.

Inflation effects all electronics, not just Blu-ray players. Yes the price increases does not help, however streaming/downloading from the Internet is the greatest threat to physical media like Blu-ray, DVD, and audio CD. The demand for physical media is slowly decreasing as the demand for streaming increases. Hopefully physical media well last another 10+ years.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:44 PM   #886
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
MSG CHASE BRIDGE

everyone can own a player..not everyone can stream..fear not.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #887
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Samsung is warning 60% lower profits compared to previous year see this link

Itís fairly obvious now this was why Samsung is ditching some product categories such as BD players
Old 04-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #888
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Samsung is warning 60% lower profits compared to previous year see this link

It’s fairly obvious now this was why Samsung is ditching some product categories such as BD players
I'm not surprised that they are seeing such a drop. They seem really out of touch.

I was out doing some shopping last night and I noticed that they are still trying to sell TVs with curved screens.

They were part of a QLED display at my local Super Dooper Wallymart
Old 04-06-2019, 02:11 AM   #889
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I was out doing some shopping last night and I noticed that they are still trying to sell TVs with curved screens.

They were part of a QLED display at my local Super Dooper Wallymart

Thanks given by:
Vilya (04-08-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 09:17 PM   #890
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

On page 18 of the April/May 2019 Sound and Vision magazine there is a article called "No Shortage of Blu-ray players yet". Yes we lost Samsung, OPPO, and Cambridge, however there is a big bubble of Blu-ray players to choose from at retail currently and hopefully that bubble well not burst as streaming gets more popular. In the article it mentions that Best Buy has 19 different models of Blu-ray players to choose from. And goes on to list the many different brands of Blu-ray players on the market and how many models are on each manufactories website.

It is also a fact that there is more standalone Blu-ray players being made when compared to DVD players being made. Most companies no longer even make standalone DVD players anymore. Sony, Panasonic, and LG are the main makers of DVD players and retail shelf space normally has between zero to 5 different models of DVD players to choose from (depending on the retail store).

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 04-15-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:24 AM   #891
Special Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
On page 18 of the April/May 2019 Sound and Vision magazine there is a article called "No Shortage of Blu-ray players yet". Yes we lost Samsung, OPPO, and Cambridge, however there is a big bubble of Blu-ray players to choose from at retail currently and hopefully that bubble well not burst as streaming gets more popular. In the article it mentions that Best Buy has 19 different models of Blu-ray players to choose from. And goes on to list the many different brands of Blu-ray players on the market and how many models are on each manufactories website.

It is also a fact that there is more standalone Blu-ray players being made when compared to DVD players being made. Most companies no longer even make standalone DVD players anymore. Sony, Panasonic, and LG are the main makers of DVD players and retail shelf space normally has between zero to 5 different models of DVD players to choose from (depending on the retail store).
If some store has 5 different models of DVD players in 2019, that is pretty messed up.

Given how cheap it is go make a bluray player which also plays DVDs, DVD players should be off the market for anywhere but thrift stores. The fact 4K player makers have left the field already is very sad.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (04-18-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 12:43 AM   #892
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78deluxe View Post
If some store has 5 different models of DVD players in 2019, that is pretty messed up.

Given how cheap it is go make a bluray player which also plays DVDs, DVD players should be off the market for anywhere but thrift stores. The fact 4K player makers have left the field already is very sad.

Yes people well miss OPPO, Cambridge, and Samsung who no longer makes any Blu-ray players (Samsung announced no more Blu-ray players in the USA market, and might still make region B and C Blu-ray players).

My local Walmart store has 8 different models of Blu-ray players to choose from with most under $100 and starting at $49 for the entry level model. That exact same Walmart store use to only have 2 different models of DVD players but just recently expanded their DVD player section with a total of 5 different models now ranging in price from $23 to $34 (the Sony model is $34). In the old days people were buying Sony Blu-ray players for $49 or $59 to upgrade their TV to streaming instead of getting the $23 DVD player. However in the last few years since 99% of TV's having streaming already built in, some people are instead buying the $23 DVD player instead of spending $50 on a Blu-ray player since they do not need streaming features. DVD players for $23 are very attractive to lower income families that do not have high speed Internet and instead are getting free Internet from a coffee shop down the road or have some type of Smartphone.

I have ran into people in Walmart looking for a $25 DVD player. I have mentioned to them that for $50 they can get a Blu-ray player with streaming and also have the ability to play Blu-ray, DVD, and audio CD's. Many people do not want to spend double the price on a Blu-ray player.

Some of those $50 Blu-ray players under ideal conditions can last more then 10 years. There are some businesses and churches that are still using DVD players that are between 16 to 20 years old and they still work perfectly fine. The greatest problem with trying to get a business or church to upgrade from DVD to Blu-ray is that its not possible unless they rewire the building or buy a new sound system. For example I know this one church that had a projector and because the projector was using a 1080P VGA connection, only DVD's could be played since Blu-rays require a secure HDCP connection using either DVI or HDMI. The church did not want to spend the money on a CAT6A cable with HDMI extenders on it just to play Blu-ray discs. Then at another church since 100% of the Blu-ray players at Walmart does not have 2 channel analog audio outputs the Blu-ray player could not be connected to their old sound system that lacked coaxial and fiber digital audio inputs. The cheapest Blu-ray player on the market with 2 channel analog audio outputs is around $500, and most churches and businesses do not want to pay $400 or $500 when they can get a DVD player at Walmart for $23 that has 2 channel analog audio outputs.

The businesses and churches that do have Blu-ray players are normally the ones that have the Blu-ray player connected to a flat panel and are not using any type of sound system. The problem starts occurring when the business or church has a ceiling mounted projector with no HDMI cable that was ran, and the second problem is when every Blu-ray player on the market for 2019 in most retail stores does not have 2 channel analog audio outputs (Many old sound systems do not have a digital audio input).

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 04-17-2019 at 01:06 AM.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 03:06 AM   #893
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

Pray they don't offer folding TV's!

Thanks given by:
gkolb (04-18-2019), sapiendut (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 03:34 AM   #894

Oct 2017
Norway

Well there's already rollable OLEDs, so not that far off.

Last edited by Fendergopher; 04-18-2019 at 03:43 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:24 AM   #895
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Oppo players yes I will miss, Samsung no.

* I've seen the news this morning about Samsung new Fold phones ($2,000).
That's no good, that's bad news, very.
It doesn't mean all their products are bad, but their 4K BR players were not among the best.
I've never like their curved products (TVs and 4K players).
And I'm not going to buy a folding phone from them either.
There are other stories too...I'm sure you know some...phone batteries exploding, laptops spying with their cameras, ...

Maybe Samsung should make ice cream? I wouldn't even dare eating it.
Maybe they should get back to flip phones? Maybe they should push MicroLED before Sony and LG? Maybe they should develop 32K (Sony is already in 16K territory).

Wish them lock.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #896
Expert Member

Feb 2008
great britain
Send a message via MSN to johndoyle123

Have Cambridge audio stopped primarily because of Oppo ?

I can’t find anywhere that indicates they won’t manufacture a new player or cease existing ones ?

Both bd / 4k
Old 04-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #897
Expert Member

Jul 2009
Canada

Yes. No Oppo, no Cambridge.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #898
Expert Member

Feb 2008
great britain
Send a message via MSN to johndoyle123

Can’t they work on there own system like pioneer etc or are they like arcam etc feeding off someone else’s hard work ?
Old 04-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #899
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoyle123 View Post
Can’t they work on there own system like pioneer etc or are they like arcam etc feeding off someone else’s hard work ?
To clear things up Cambridge Audio players were actually BBK OEM BR players with some custom changes, as CA would say "having changed important parts and customized it to their standards".

Oppo Digital was a independent subsidiary of Oppo Electronics which is one of the major division of BBK, Oppo Digital designed and worked with Oppo Electronics to manufacture all their players. There was some support to licensed OEM BR vendors such as Cambridge Audio.

Samsung did everything in house using various Samsung divisions to design/produce parts for their players.

If there is some commonality to both it is against smart phone production. In Oppo case we are reasonably sure (nobody going to say) that ramping up smartphone manufacturing to compete in Asia/India was the EOL reason for Oppo and OEM BR players so they could maximize their smart phone production.

For the last few years it's been the equivalent of striking gold for various smartphone vendors with $ billions of sales. Now it is starting to sputter because of phones getting too expensive and consumers keeping phones after contracts expire with wireless providers. The other major point is that smart phone companies are in a bind they are running out of technology gimmicks to promote phones. You'll find lots of articles about how this is all going down hill online.

For Samsung they took a big hit in profits in last 1 year period so where they weren't doing decently, product lines was trimmed such as their BD player line, but as people remarked if you sell TV's you should make BD players, but obviously smartphone mania wins out.
Thanks given by:
gkolb (04-18-2019), sapiendut (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #900
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendergopher View Post
Well there's already rollable OLEDs, so not that far off.
Rollable is not near as acute as folding. Its more of a controlled extraction/retraction into a storage area where you're never bending the display severely. The folding phone flexing has way more chance to damage/crack display, especially when you aren't gentle in handling or cold temperatures where designers were using the displays heat to mitigate that risk.

Update:
Quote:
Samsung has issued a statement about its new folding phone. Apparently a number of reviewers either mistakenly destroyed their phone screens or had the screens bork on them after a few days of use. See below video

Last edited by JohnAV; 04-20-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology