Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Hunger Games: Complete 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.51

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Deadly Games 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Hocus Pocus 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.95

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.44
1 day ago
Tremors 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Chernobyl 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Total Recall 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 07-31-2017, 09:00 PM   #501

Jul 2012
Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrider View Post
So if I picked up one of these new Dell XPS desktops -

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/produ...fdcwvmxopt411s

and installed the Pioneer UHD Blu-ray player with Powerdvd, would I be able to watch 4K UHD blu-rays on my desktop?

Thanks.
That's hard to say but probably not. As far as I can see Dell do not say what motherboard they use (could be their own custom board) nor what type of HDMI port it has. I could not find information about SGX either so not possible to say if it is in their BIOS. But even if the mother board has the required HDCP 2.2, and ideally HDMI 2.0, and there is SGX support it would then depend on the display you plan on using...
Old 07-31-2017, 10:17 PM   #502

Jul 2012
Europe

Checked and I have the latest available public Intel HD Graphics driver (not beta driver).

Interestingly HDR still does not work on the Samsung TV. Get the same garbled HDCP/Matrix image when HDR is playing as before.

As soon as I exit full screen, thereby turning of HDR, the UHD blu-ray image displays as it should. I have tested with a standalone UHD blu-ray player on the Samsung TV and it works fine so the problem is not with the TV. The same HDMI cable works on the Panasonic TV and with the standalone UHD blu-ray player so it's not a cable problem either. I guess some TVs (Japanese) are more compatible than others (Korean)...
Old 08-01-2017, 05:08 AM   #503

Jun 2017

I finally got my new system built, using the Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 9, and I can confirm that HDR works. However, getting everything working took some work, including updating the BIOS, and installing motherboard drivers to get SGX and all the other Intel stuff working.

And still, it's not problem free. At the moment, sending DTS-HD MA high definition audio out over HDMI (the only way to play uncompressed BluRay audio) doesn't seem to be working. Also, sometimes Cyber DVD 14 doesn't feel like playing, or even loading. It's definitely not the easiest process.

But on top of all that, I still get the "PIRACY IS ILLEGAL" warning before playing the movie... Yeah, I know, I just jumped through all the crazy hoops!
Old 08-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #504

Dec 2013
Prague, the heart of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsman View Post
That's hard to say but probably not. As far as I can see Dell do not say what motherboard they use (could be their own custom board) nor what type of HDMI port it has. I could not find information about SGX either so not possible to say if it is in their BIOS. But even if the mother board has the required HDCP 2.2, and ideally HDMI 2.0, and there is SGX support it would then depend on the display you plan on using...
The board inside was made by Dell, model IPKBL-VM. It looks cheap, very cheap. I am sure there is no HDMI 2.0 onboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philtastic View Post
I finally got my new system built, using the Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 9, and I can confirm that HDR works.
But on top of all that, I still get the "PIRACY IS ILLEGAL" warning before playing the movie... Yeah, I know, I just jumped through all the crazy hoops!
Good choice, congrats. All my movies have Piracy warning at the beginning of the disc.

Last edited by triffid; 08-01-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #505

Aug 2017

For information, i have tested the LG BU40N and it works with my Blu-ray UHD on a Kaby Lake NUC.

I have tested because the Pioneer are very expansive in France and the LG is "only" 80
Old 08-01-2017, 06:06 PM   #506

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandu View Post
For information, i have tested the LG BU40N and it works with my Blu-ray UHD on a Kaby Lake NUC.

I have tested because the Pioneer are very expansive in France and the LG is "only" 80 €
Did you check with Cyberlink UHD advisor?

Have you watched a Ultra HD BD movie disc? (not just browse files in UHD disc)

Last edited by spcav; 08-01-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #507

Aug 2017

Yep.

The drive pass the UHD Advisor test and i have read many Blu-ray UHD.

I will try to make some screen capture (the setup is at work)

(i have a LG BH16NS55, and i's different : i can only see the structure)
Thanks given by:
spcav (08-02-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 11:17 PM   #508

Jun 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by triffid View Post
Good choice, congrats. All my movies have Piracy warning at the beginning of the disc.
Yeah, I know the piracy warnings are standard, it's just really annoying after spending so much time and money to do things the legal way...

Also a little annoying is that the version of PowerDVD 14 that is included with the Pioneer BDR-211UBK drive does not support lossless 7.1 HD audio formats like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. I realize that the software is basically a free bonus, so maybe it's not fair to complain, but adding this pretty basic feature requires upgrading to PowerDVD 17 Ultra, which costs $200 ($75 on sale until Aug 10, 2017).

Even more annoying about PowerDVD 14 is that the option to enable HD audio output is present, but if you select it, you lose all sound completely. Essentially, the only actual options are stereo (crap), or 5.1 lossy formats like Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 (no 7.1). Maybe this is okay for some people, but if I'm going all out to watch a 4K UHD BluRay with the best image quality, I want the best sound quality, too.

Anyways, just a heads-up for the people who plan to use their PC as part of a complete home theatre solution with 7.1 or Atmos setups.

Last edited by Philtastic; 08-01-2017 at 11:28 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-02-2017, 06:04 AM   #509

Jun 2017

I may have spoken too soon in regards to DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD, as I seem to be having problems beyond PowerDVD 17 Ultra (I upgraded from the included PowerDVD 14).

The Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 9 manual lists support for both formats, but for some reason, my receiver is not picking them up, only the Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 are being decoded.

I'm going to keep trying to solve this issue, and will report back if I find a solution. If anyone can offer any help with this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #510

Jul 2012
Europe

Quote:
I may have spoken too soon in regards to DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD, as I seem to be having problems beyond PowerDVD 17 Ultra (I upgraded from the included PowerDVD 14).

The Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 9 manual lists support for both formats, but for some reason, my receiver is not picking them up, only the Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 are being decoded.

I'm going to keep trying to solve this issue, and will report back if I find a solution. If anyone can offer any help with this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
I had similar problems with lossless audio. Cannot remember exactly how I solved it. But I think I did several re-installs/firmware updates and maybe in a particular order. It's probably documented earlier in this thread. That was on a Z170 board and if I remember correctly I eventually got it working with both PowerDVD 14 and 17. I think it is related to the LSPCON chip/firmware. That chip converts DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 on all motherboards that support HDMI 2.0. And have a vague memory of it not being really clear if that chip supports lossless audio from the spec sheets. It obviously does as I have it working now but could be chip firmware related. The reason I started looking at the LSPCON was by testing the lossless audio on other HDMI (1.4) port. That always worked but the HDMI 2.0 (converted DisplayPort through LSPCON did not). Not sure if your motherboard has two HDMI ports (one 1.4 and one 2.0) but if it does maybe you want to test the HDMI 1.4 port and verify that works as a starting point...
Old 08-03-2017, 06:07 AM   #511

Jun 2017
Thumbs up It's working!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilsman View Post
I had similar problems with lossless audio. Cannot remember exactly how I solved it. But I think I did several re-installs/firmware updates and maybe in a particular order. It's probably documented earlier in this thread. That was on a Z170 board and if I remember correctly I eventually got it working with both PowerDVD 14 and 17. I think it is related to the LSPCON chip/firmware. That chip converts DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 on all motherboards that support HDMI 2.0. And have a vague memory of it not being really clear if that chip supports lossless audio from the spec sheets. It obviously does as I have it working now but could be chip firmware related. The reason I started looking at the LSPCON was by testing the lossless audio on other HDMI (1.4) port. That always worked but the HDMI 2.0 (converted DisplayPort through LSPCON did not). Not sure if your motherboard has two HDMI ports (one 1.4 and one 2.0) but if it does maybe you want to test the HDMI 1.4 port and verify that works as a starting point...
Thanks! That was just the hint I needed! Turns out there is a firmware update for the MegaChips MCDP2800 chip that converts the DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0b (the only other port on the motherboard is the DP 1.2, there is no HDMI 1.4). The update was hidden in the long list of Utility apps, rather than the Display Driver section, which is why I missed it the first time around.

Updating the MegaChips firmware is step 1, then I had to reinstall the Display Driver again. This was because updating the firmware alone not only didn't fix the audio, it also broke the HDCP 2.2 functionality. But reinstalling the Display Drive fixed both issues. Now I have full HDR 4K UHD BluRay playback, along with Dolby TrueHD uncompressed 7.1 surround sound! Time to enjoy The Fifth Element the way it was meant to be seen!!!
Old 08-03-2017, 06:45 AM   #512

Jun 2017

Also, the version of PowerDVD 14 that comes bundled with the Pioneer drive actually does support uncompressed 7.1 channel HD audio (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA), so I was wrong before when I said it didn't.

I did buy PowerDVD 17, but on sale, with coupon code "EXTRA20P 20%", it was only $60 CAD (~ $48 USD), instead of $200, so I may keep it. However, there is no need to upgrade, if you don't want to.

In case you're wondering if the upgrade is worth it, PDVD 17 isn't a huge upgrade over PowerDVD 14, but it offers some nice features like a TV mode, and it fixes some of the bugs, like how PDVD 14 loses HDR when changing settings. This is especially annoying in PDVD 14, since it requires closing the app entirely after any settings change, and reopening it to resume playing. Once everything is set up properly, this may no longer be an issue, but it will likely pop up from time to time. On the plus side, CyberLink offers a 30-day refund, so you can always get your money back if you're not satisfied with the upgrade.

Last edited by Philtastic; 08-03-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:32 AM   #513

Jul 2012
Europe

Quote:
Thanks! That was just the hint I needed! Turns out there is a firmware update for the MegaChips MCDP2800 chip that converts the DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0b (the only other port on the motherboard is the DP 1.2, there is no HDMI 1.4). The update was hidden in the long list of Utility apps, rather than the Display Driver section, which is why I missed it the first time around.

Updating the MegaChips firmware is step 1, then I had to reinstall the Display Driver again. This was because updating the firmware alone not only didn't fix the audio, it also broke the HDCP 2.2 functionality. But reinstalling the Display Drive fixed both issues. Now I have full HDR 4K UHD BluRay playback, along with Dolby TrueHD uncompressed 7.1 surround sound! Time to enjoy The Fifth Element the way it was meant to be seen!!!
Glad you got it working :-) Reminds me that I need to order Fifth Element (and Leon) UHD...
Old 08-04-2017, 06:48 PM   #514

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
Wow. Somebody still uses an i5 cpu?
Fixed.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #515

Apr 2008

I haven't been able to Unterstand if the ASROCK Z270 ITX version supports HDR on UHD Blu-ray playback

Last edited by edo1080; 08-06-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:35 PM   #516

Dec 2013

Yes, it certainly does. (Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac, not the other Z270 ITX boards)
Old 08-09-2017, 01:07 AM   #517

Jul 2017

sera que a AMD ou NVIDIA vao ter HDMI2.1
Old 08-19-2017, 04:06 AM   #518

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by triffid View Post
Yes, it certainly does. (Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac, not the other Z270 ITX boards)
What about the Fatal1ty z170 ITX/ac...does that support HDR?
Old 08-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #519

Apr 2008

I think it doesn't, it's just to z270 to support HDR @ 100%
Thanks given by:
akmandal (08-19-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #520

Dec 2013

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...&postcount=423
Thanks given by:
akmandal (08-25-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology