Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Fisher King 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
8 hrs ago
12 Angry Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
11 hrs ago
Triangle of Sadness 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.54
1 day ago
Romeo and Juliet (Blu-ray)
$22.78
1 day ago
The Seventh Seal 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Red Eye 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Westworld: Season Four 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

House of the Dragon: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.50
1 day ago
Doctor Who: William Hartnell - Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$49.69

Secret Defense (Blu-ray)
$19.99
9 hrs ago
If I Had a Million (Blu-ray)
$17.99
10 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Old 03-28-2016, 02:06 AM   #61
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpsdoll View Post
I'm just echoing a posts from last year, but I don't see the edit bar that would allow me to add a title to the database. I'm really surprised that some of the titles that I cannot add are not already there, but are there criteria to allow new users to add titles?
It's very likely that you need to meet a minimum posting requirement in order to add titles. I would guess that you need to post at least 6 times, so that you are no longer classified as a "New Member" and perhaps even as much as 20, to no longer be a "Junior Member", which is the next level. I believe it's the former, though hopefully someone who knows for certain will post.

As for missing titles, I was surprised too when I first joined, but quite a lot does make it in, and it's very much a collaborative effort, we can always use more help. Some of it also depends on what category we're talking about. For example, many contributors work on U.S. Blu-rays, so it's rare ime to not find what you're looking for there, but some other categories like UV or DVD titles started being added to the database later, and there are less contributors working on them.
Thanks given by:
Qwertygirl7 (03-28-2016), YonasGirma (10-23-2020)
Old 03-28-2016, 10:51 PM   #62

Feb 2016
Spain

Thank you, Strapped4Cash! I'm trying to add new editions but it is impossible. Everybody thinks that it is because I am a new member. I have some titles that I can't add to my collection because of this. So I will try replying a lot in order to get the number of posts that I need... Most of them complaining about this, sorry!
Thanks given by:
Strapped4Cash (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 11:54 PM   #63
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertygirl7 View Post
Thank you, Strapped4Cash! I'm trying to add new editions but it is impossible. Everybody thinks that it is because I am a new member. I have some titles that I can't add to my collection because of this. So I will try replying a lot in order to get the number of posts that I need... Most of them complaining about this, sorry!
You are welcome Qwertygirl7, I hope that it does help.

I know that it can be frustrating not to be able to add right away, but the site probably has a few bad people who want to cause problems and if everybody could add new titles right away then there would be things done badly because of those other people.

I see that you are now a Junior member, I hope you can add now. If you need 20 or more replies then you could keep saying the same thing, but maybe post about your favorite movies instead? That might be more fun?
Thanks given by:
Qwertygirl7 (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 12:24 AM   #64

Feb 2016
Spain

Now I am a Junior Member but I can't add anything yet. So I will do what you say... I understand that we need this kind of "rules" to have a truly good database, but I have a bunch of BRs waiting here to be added xD Thanks a lot!
Thanks given by:
Strapped4Cash (03-29-2016), tyuan74 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-29-2016, 12:27 AM   #65

Feb 2016
Spain

Oh wait! I have just tried it again and I think it works!! OMG, at last!
Thanks given by:
Cavewmn (03-21-2017)
Old 03-29-2016, 01:16 AM   #66
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
Oh wait! I have just tried it again and I think it works!! OMG, at last!
Congratulations!
Thanks given by:
Qwertygirl7 (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 11:51 PM   #67

Feb 2016
Spain

But now I realize that I don't know how to add new editions (I tried and I failed)...
Old 03-30-2016, 02:41 AM   #68
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
But now I realize that I don't know how to add new editions (I tried and I failed)...
It can be hard, especially at the start. Maybe I can help?

The first thing to do is look under "Movies" for the movie that you want to add your edition to. If it isn't there at all then say that and we can try to add it. Hopefully it is there.

If it was Bourne Ultimatum then you would first go to that page: https://www.blu-ray.com/The-Bourne-Ultimatum/20725/

and then look for this line:

Quote:
Edit movie | Edit cast & crew | Upload image(s) | Clone movie | Add new movie | Create: Blu-ray DVD UltraViolet iTunes AIV
If it's a Blu-ray you want to create then press on that link (on the right Movie page) and that will take you to a new page.

Before you start, make sure to never press the "Enter/Return" key on your computer or the little buttons on that page that say "Submit" until you are done entering all the information for everything at the very end.

Retail information
You start by adding the EAN by the barcode on the back.
Then look for the ASIN number for it on Amazon and add that.
Below that type in whatever number is next to "Current timestamp:".
You don't need to type all the information for those other stores.

Title information
The first one is "Bundle IDs" and that's only for sets with different movies all in the same package, like all the Bourne movies together.
Then "Official forum link" is nice if you want to look for it, but isn't needed.
Then give the name for the title, a Title prefix if there is one (like The or Los or El) and then the rest of the name below that.
The Studio that released it. The back of your Blu-ray can help, or maybe Amazon?
The Country of Spain if it's Spanish, or any other country if it's not.
Then the date it was released, and again Amazon can help often with that.
"Retailer exclusive" is almost always No, unless only one store sold it.
"Season / sequence / chronological order" is always 1, unless it's a tv show or a sequel "like Bourne Ultimatum" (that would be #3, for 3rd Bourne movie).
Runtime is for how many minutes the movie is.
And then the rating.

Disc info
"Unique movies" and "Unique cuts" are almost always 1. Unless there are different movies all together in the same package. Like this one: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-B...lu-ray/116359/
Blu-ray discs is usually 1 too, unless there was more in the same package.
After that is "Media" that you can leave unless you know it.
The same for everything after. Sometimes there is a 3D Blu-ray or DVD or something else, but usually not.

Features
You can leave all these alone unless you know them.

Video
Same as Features, just go past that unless you know any of it for sure.

Audio
First there is a lot of space for different languages. A lot of times this will be on the back of your Blu-ray package/case, so write that if it's there or leave it alone if you don't. This can be hard to enter anyway, because of how the computer works, so if you try it and can't do it then leave it alone too.
The last important information is subtitles. So click yes if you know they are there and which ones. But if you don't then you can skip that too.

You then are taken to a new page and you wait a day, or a few days, to see whether it was okayed or not. You can enter other editions while you wait. If it is okayed then you will need to add art for the cover and maybe the back, but that is later, after it has been approved.

I hope I have helped and good luck.
Thanks given by:
ColtanW (03-20-2021), gabby98 (03-30-2016), IXOYE1989 (08-02-2016), Qwertygirl7 (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #69

Feb 2016
Spain

I am reading you carefully. I tried to add an edition and was rejected and I don't know why. A moderator wrote me and finally he fixed what was wrong and was approved. But I don't know exactly what was wrong. So thank you very very much!! This is what I need
Thanks given by:
Strapped4Cash (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 10:51 PM   #70

Feb 2016
Spain

I'm having trouble with the EAN. I thought it was the same for all the Spanish versions of a movie (for example) and now I noticed that some of my movies (that I have previously scanned and were not found) are already in the database but have another EAN.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:04 PM   #71
Special Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash View Post
[Show spoiler]It can be hard, especially at the start. Maybe I can help?

The first thing to do is look under "Movies" for the movie that you want to add your edition to. If it isn't there at all then say that and we can try to add it. Hopefully it is there.

If it was Bourne Ultimatum then you would first go to that page: https://www.blu-ray.com/The-Bourne-Ultimatum/20725/

and then look for this line:

If it's a Blu-ray you want to create then press on that link (on the right Movie page) and that will take you to a new page.

Before you start, make sure to never press the "Enter/Return" key on your computer or the little buttons on that page that say "Submit" until you are done entering all the information for everything at the very end.

Retail information
You start by adding the EAN by the barcode on the back.
Then look for the ASIN number for it on Amazon and add that.
Below that type in whatever number is next to "Current timestamp:".
You don't need to type all the information for those other stores.

Title information
The first one is "Bundle IDs" and that's only for sets with different movies all in the same package, like all the Bourne movies together.
Then "Official forum link" is nice if you want to look for it, but isn't needed.
Then give the name for the title, a Title prefix if there is one (like The or Los or El) and then the rest of the name below that.
The Studio that released it. The back of your Blu-ray can help, or maybe Amazon?
The Country of Spain if it's Spanish, or any other country if it's not.
Then the date it was released, and again Amazon can help often with that.
"Retailer exclusive" is almost always No, unless only one store sold it.
"Season / sequence / chronological order" is always 1, unless it's a tv show or a sequel "like Bourne Ultimatum" (that would be #3, for 3rd Bourne movie).
Runtime is for how many minutes the movie is.
And then the rating.

Disc info
"Unique movies" and "Unique cuts" are almost always 1. Unless there are different movies all together in the same package. Like this one: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-B...lu-ray/116359/
Blu-ray discs is usually 1 too, unless there was more in the same package.
After that is "Media" that you can leave unless you know it.
The same for everything after. Sometimes there is a 3D Blu-ray or DVD or something else, but usually not.

Features
You can leave all these alone unless you know them.

Video
Same as Features, just go past that unless you know any of it for sure.

Audio
First there is a lot of space for different languages. A lot of times this will be on the back of your Blu-ray package/case, so write that if it's there or leave it alone if you don't. This can be hard to enter anyway, because of how the computer works, so if you try it and can't do it then leave it alone too.
The last important information is subtitles. So click yes if you know they are there and which ones. But if you don't then you can skip that too.

You then are taken to a new page and you wait a day, or a few days, to see whether it was okayed or not. You can enter other editions while you wait. If it is okayed then you will need to add art for the cover and maybe the back, but that is later, after it has been approved.

I hope I have helped and good luck.
Thanks for this....lots of godd dtuff I didn't know about. But what if it doesn't necessarily have a parent id.

For instance there is a Die Hard 4-Film Collection DVD that is not linked to a parent, but i was trying to figure out how to make it a UV Entry...Do I just have to start from scratch/copy paste? Or should the parent ID's of the 4 films be added to this one? Or both?

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2016, 11:05 PM   #72
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
I am reading you carefully. I tried to add an edition and was rejected and I don't know why. A moderator wrote me and finally he fixed what was wrong and was approved. But I don't know exactly what was wrong. So thank you very very much!! This is what I need
You are welcome Qwertygirl7. I like to try to help and I think everyone should be able to enter all their editions in the site, Blu-ray, DVD, digital. Also, the more editions that are entered, then the better blu-ray.com is to all members and new members too.

I am glad that you had one new edition approved, even with help. If you give a link to that edition then maybe we can see what the moderator did? On that edition there is a way to maybe see. Look for a line that says:

Quote:
Edit movie | Edit cast & crew | Upload covers | Add new country/edition | Add new movie
^ Click on "Edit movie" and that will take you to the page with all the information you added before. All the way to the right of that page you will see your name by all the information you entered, and the names of everyone else who entered information on different lines. So if you see that moderators put in one, two, or a few lines then you will see what they did. And that can help you know for the next edition, I think.

Edit: I see that you both asked more questions. Give me a few minutes and I will try to answer.
Thanks given by:
Qwertygirl7 (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 11:12 PM   #73

Feb 2016
Spain

I had not read your email when I checked if all the info of the edition was right and I saw what you say, the moderator's name in the lines he changed. Thank you again...
Thanks given by:
Strapped4Cash (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 11:45 PM   #74
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
I'm having trouble with the EAN. I thought it was the same for all the Spanish versions of a movie (for example) and now I noticed that some of my movies (that I have previously scanned and were not found) are already in the database but have another EAN.
A movie is released to Blu-ray with one EAN. If it is only made one time, then it is easy. One edition = one EAN.

BUT, sometimes they make more than one. I don't know much about Spain but in the U.S. sometimes there is a special edition and a regular edition. Maybe they add a extra disc, or a DVD too, or a digital code, or get rid of one that was in the first edition.

When they do this, maybe they make a new EAN and maybe they use the first one again. Sometimes they only change the cover and nothing else. Different studios might do it differently. It can be very confusing, and sometimes people who enter editions here can make a mistake too.

So what you want to do is always look at the EAN on the back of your edition first. If it IS in the database, then look at that edition, and see how it is different from your edition. Maybe you just missed it before? Or maybe the difference is very small and maybe you add it to your collection the way it is.

If it is not in the database then that is easy and you enter it for the first time, or you can try to look at how that one with the different EAN is the same or different from your edition. Maybe the person entering made a mistake, but don't assume that, especially now when you're starting out. If you have a different EAN, and you are sure of it, then the right thing might be to just add a new edition with your different EAN. There might really be 2, 3, or more editions with different EAN's that look very close. Sometimes the best thing is to ask for advice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
Thanks for this....lots of godd dtuff I didn't know about. But what if it doesn't necessarily have a parent id.

For instance there is a Die Hard 4-Film Collection DVD that is not linked to a parent, but i was trying to figure out how to make it a UV Entry...Do I just have to start from scratch/copy paste? Or should the parent ID's of the 4 films be added to this one? Or both?

Thanks!
You're welcome gabby98. This is one of those situations that I honestly hoped wouldn't come up. At least not until you had more experience. A lot of people get confused by this, and some people just disagree on the right way.

When more than one film is on the same dvd then probably the best name for that is a bundle. You WANT to leave the "Master movie ID" and "Parent" fields blank. Enter the Retail info as usual. The very first field in "Title information" is Bundle IDs.

Look at this one: https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Die-Hard...tion-DVD/8555/ and go to edit it the way I explained above (but don't edit anything, just look). There are 4 groups of numbers, separated by commas, with no spaces. Those numbers correspond to the DVD listings of each of the DVDs in the set. By linking to those, the database will also pull the necessary info from the Master Movie ID's on those dvd listings.

Though you have to find the right BD, DVD, UV, etc. to link to, or create that if it's not already in the database. For movies that only are ever released as part of a collection, and never on their own, that means creating a "dummy" entry, which is harder than normal and annoys some people (because some don't like seeing entries for movies that were never released and probably never will be).

If you continue to look at that Die Hard entry then you will see some important differences from a regular release. Like "Unique movies" is 4 instead of 1, for the 4 movies. Unique cuts is 5, for those 4 plus one of them has 2 different versions (Probably a director's cut?).

I have never actually created a UV entry (only linked a few Master Movie ID's to existing entries when I've created those), but I would guess that the same thinking applies. Still, I'd recommend trying to familiarize yourself as much as possible with simpler entries before tackling a Bundle ID entry like that. And don't be afraid to ask for help from others too, like in the Feedback Forum or maybe the UltraViolet sub-forum in the Digital movies forum.

I hope that helps.
Thanks given by:
ebmv (12-07-2016), gabby98 (04-06-2016), Qwertygirl7 (03-31-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 11:54 PM   #75
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
I had not read your email when I checked if all the info of the edition was right and I saw what you say, the moderator's name in the lines he changed. Thank you again...
You're welcome. I'm glad that you were able to see what the moderator did. We all make mistakes, or don't know everything, especially at the start. I hope you can study what they did, and try to remember what you wrote, and try to understand the difference and why the moderator did it differently.

As long as you are trying to do it right, and learn, then I think that is what's important (but I'm not a moderator ).

I do need to take a break for a little while, so if there are any more questions then I can't reply right away, but will as soon as I can.
Thanks given by:
Qwertygirl7 (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 01:06 AM   #76

Feb 2016
Spain

You explained it all very well! Now I'll be working in the database. Thanks!
Thanks given by:
Strapped4Cash (03-31-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #77

Feb 2016
Spain

I have another doubt: how can I add movies that I bought in a video store? They don't have the usual EAN, there is another number and they can't be even scanned.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:41 PM   #78
Special Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash View Post
A movie is released to Blu-ray with one EAN. If it is only made one time, then it is easy. One edition = one EAN.

BUT, sometimes they make more than one. I don't know much about Spain but in the U.S. sometimes there is a special edition and a regular edition. Maybe they add a extra disc, or a DVD too, or a digital code, or get rid of one that was in the first edition.

When they do this, maybe they make a new EAN and maybe they use the first one again. Sometimes they only change the cover and nothing else. Different studios might do it differently. It can be very confusing, and sometimes people who enter editions here can make a mistake too.

So what you want to do is always look at the EAN on the back of your edition first. If it IS in the database, then look at that edition, and see how it is different from your edition. Maybe you just missed it before? Or maybe the difference is very small and maybe you add it to your collection the way it is.

If it is not in the database then that is easy and you enter it for the first time, or you can try to look at how that one with the different EAN is the same or different from your edition. Maybe the person entering made a mistake, but don't assume that, especially now when you're starting out. If you have a different EAN, and you are sure of it, then the right thing might be to just add a new edition with your different EAN. There might really be 2, 3, or more editions with different EAN's that look very close. Sometimes the best thing is to ask for advice too.

You're welcome gabby98. This is one of those situations that I honestly hoped wouldn't come up. At least not until you had more experience. A lot of people get confused by this, and some people just disagree on the right way.

When more than one film is on the same dvd then probably the best name for that is a bundle. You WANT to leave the "Master movie ID" and "Parent" fields blank. Enter the Retail info as usual. The very first field in "Title information" is Bundle IDs.

Look at this one: https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Die-Hard...tion-DVD/8555/ and go to edit it the way I explained above (but don't edit anything, just look). There are 4 groups of numbers, separated by commas, with no spaces. Those numbers correspond to the DVD listings of each of the DVDs in the set. By linking to those, the database will also pull the necessary info from the Master Movie ID's on those dvd listings.

Though you have to find the right BD, DVD, UV, etc. to link to, or create that if it's not already in the database. For movies that only are ever released as part of a collection, and never on their own, that means creating a "dummy" entry, which is harder than normal and annoys some people (because some don't like seeing entries for movies that were never released and probably never will be).

If you continue to look at that Die Hard entry then you will see some important differences from a regular release. Like "Unique movies" is 4 instead of 1, for the 4 movies. Unique cuts is 5, for those 4 plus one of them has 2 different versions (Probably a director's cut?).

I have never actually created a UV entry (only linked a few Master Movie ID's to existing entries when I've created those), but I would guess that the same thinking applies. Still, I'd recommend trying to familiarize yourself as much as possible with simpler entries before tackling a Bundle ID entry like that. And don't be afraid to ask for help from others too, like in the Feedback Forum or maybe the UltraViolet sub-forum in the Digital movies forum.

I hope that helps.
Thanks again!

I have kind of a dumb question...can an entry have more than one UPC entered, maybe comma separated? I see a few of my DVD's where nothing apears different by maybe the upc. I do not want to assume the other person put it in wrong, but could I just add my upc to that entry so that anyone else that my just import upcs will still come up?

Ty

ETA: Do Covers have to be customized by uploader or can it be pulled from like Walmart/Amazon?

Last edited by gabby98; 04-06-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #79
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
Thanks again!

I have kind of a dumb question...can an entry have more than one UPC entered, maybe comma separated? I see a few of my DVD's where nothing apears different by maybe the upc. I do not want to assume the other person put it in wrong, but could I just add my upc to that entry so that anyone else that my just import upcs will still come up?

Ty

ETA: Do Covers have to be customized by uploader or can it be pulled from like Walmart/Amazon?
You're welcome. I'm not well-versed in either of these areas unfortunately. It might be good to ask in the Feedback Forum too.

My guess is that there should only be one UPC. I've seen a lot of examples where the changes were very small, like a digital code is added from a release, or removed, or the expiration changed. Sometimes a studio will re-release a title with corrected discs, which is impossible to tell unless you know what's been changed content-wise. The recent US Army of Darkness Blu from Shout is one example of this, though I've heard there is tiny writing on the back that differentiates the 2 releases.

You could be right that the original entry person put it in wrong, and you can even see who it was and pm them (if they're still here), but it's at least as likely that there is some difference that you might not be able to see. And we do have a big problem with Duplicate Entries being created of the exact same thing.

I never try to customize covers, I've heard of some people doing strange things with that and even getting banned. I usually just straight copy it from Amazon, and then check some other sites like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, Target, DVDEmpire, Swap-A-DVD, etc. when that doesn't work. Occasionally I can't find any that does work, so just leave it alone until later. I really appreciate it when a release does have a cover, but it's not essential.
Thanks given by:
gabby98 (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 09:06 PM   #80
Special Member

Jan 2016

Thanks again!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Tags
amazon