Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Romeo and Juliet (Blu-ray)
$21.49
1 day ago
12 Angry Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
Triangle of Sadness 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.54
 
The Fisher King 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
Jet Li Double Feature: The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
The Running Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
10 hrs ago
Secret Admirer (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
The Seventh Seal 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99
 
Bates Motel: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$53.40
6 hrs ago
Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.98
6 hrs ago
Westworld: Season Four 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #2001
master gandhi master gandhi is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
master gandhi's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
United States
1
Default

I actually use the three big digital providers (Amazon, iTunes and VUDU). Of course, there's no UV redemption with Amazon or iTunes, but there's still a lot of movies that include iTunes codes. All three providers sometimes have good sales too, but iTunes has the best sales IMO, and more special features than the others. My favorite is easily iTunes, which is why I buy discounted gift cards for it whenever I can.

But there's no current way for me to restrict myself to just one provider. That's way too limiting, unless the industry finds a way to create a universal Keychest system like DMA, where all my VUDU copies and Amazon copies would migrate into iTunes as well. That would be amazing, and there's talk of something like that happening someday, which makes me want to stop buying movies on iTunes that I already have on Amazon/VUDU just in case.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #2002
huskerbear huskerbear is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2011
1
84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
I actually use the three big digital providers (Amazon, iTunes and VUDU). Of course, there's no UV redemption with Amazon or iTunes, but there's still a lot of movies that include iTunes codes. All three providers sometimes have good sales too, but iTunes has the best sales IMO, and more special features than the others. My favorite is easily iTunes, which is why I buy discounted gift cards for it whenever I can.

But there's no current way for me to restrict myself to just one provider. That's way too limiting, unless the industry finds a way to create a universal Keychest system like DMA, where all my VUDU copies and Amazon copies would migrate into iTunes as well. That would be amazing, and there's talk of something like that happening someday, which makes me want to stop buying movies on iTunes that I already have on Amazon/VUDU just in case.
That's the thing, they did...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...tent_Ecosystem

They can't make them join. Should they re name it to see if they will join then? I don't have the answers either, it's all guess work
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #2003
master gandhi master gandhi is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
master gandhi's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
United States
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbear View Post
That's the thing, they did...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...tent_Ecosystem

They can't make them join. Should they re name it to see if they will join then? I don't have the answers either, it's all guess work
Right. I mean, something like UV/Keychest that is adopted by all the studios and providers. Somehow (money), Disney got all the major providers to support DMA, which makes it superior to UV. Buy on Amazon, get it on iTunes/VUDU. The best UV can do is let you buy it on FandangoNow and get it on VUDU. That is, unless it's DMA, and then it's stuck on FandangoNow.

For the average consumer, digital is a bit of a headache, unless you do just stick to one provider and ignore all the others. For the more savvy individuals, digital is still a mess. It needs to be cleaned up. I'm sure most of us agree on that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #2004
huskerbear huskerbear is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2011
1
84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
Right. I mean, something like UV/Keychest that is adopted by all the studios and providers. Somehow (money), Disney got all the major providers to support DMA, which makes it superior to UV. Buy on Amazon, get it on iTunes/VUDU. The best UV can do is let you buy it on FandangoNow and get it on VUDU. That is, unless it's DMA, and then it's stuck on FandangoNow.

For the average consumer, digital is a bit of a headache, unless you do just stick to one provider and ignore all the others. For the more savvy individuals, digital is still a mess. It needs to be cleaned up. I'm sure most of us agree on that.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I think it would take a name change and give Apple a 1yr. exclusive (they like to feel special) similar to what Disney did..... they probably still wouldn't. I know many disagree but I just don't think allowing competition to itunes on the Apple tv is something they would consider, as far as buying and renting movies. I'm just glad I didn't start with itunes as many did. Disney and Apple had a chance to vote in the DECE and chose not to, they probably already had the DMA thing in the works.

Last edited by huskerbear; 12-16-2016 at 09:19 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:19 PM   #2005
PenguinMaster PenguinMaster is offline
Banned
 
May 2009
1800
380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
The Studios do want more control over their Movies, and I think with Digital they get this. Your titles should not disappear, if you keep good records and stay with one Provider your Library is pretty safe. With UV it also saves them on various Servers. What I have been telling you guys about FTTH, and in The Home has been verified by my Magazine Sound & Vision. They said with Streaming Video Fiber will be needed, especially with 4k+. I watch all the recent Movies now Streaming, because I can see them way before they come out on Disc. These time intervals are getting shorter and shorter, and I'm sure First Run Movies are next to come to Streaming.
It doesn't matter how many servers the movies are stored on. I'm not worried that the studios are going to accidentally lose the files. I'm worried that they will lose the rights to movies or TV shows. I'm worried that they'll remove titles because they don't want to sell them. This has already happened with plenty of titles and it will become more and more common.

With physical media the used market ensures that there is no possible way that anyone can prevent a title from being available.

Last edited by PenguinMaster; 12-16-2016 at 11:24 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:25 AM   #2006
stonesfan129 stonesfan129 is offline
Senior Member
 
Jun 2016
Wisconsin
122
10
2
Default

I love iTunes, buy most of my music there, but not movies. The thing that kills it for me is the DRM and that most of the encodes look worse than somebody who ran the Blu-ray through x264 on their computer. What would make my day is if Blu-ray players could decrypt iTunes DRM so that I could watch all my purchases off of an external HDD on my Blu-ray player. iTunes as an app. I don't see why it couldn't be done. And I don't get why UV codes stopped being redeemable in iTunes.



Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
It doesn't matter how many servers the movies are stored on. I'm not worried that the studios are going to accidentally lose the files. I'm worried that they will lose the rights to movies or TV shows. I'm worried that they'll remove titles because they don't want to sell them. This has already happened with plenty of titles and it will become more and more common.

With physical media the used market ensures that there is no possible way that anyone can prevent a title from being available.
Either that or they'll take them off of the purchase sites in favor of streaming. Music is going in the same direction.

Last edited by stonesfan129; 12-17-2016 at 12:50 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:03 AM   #2007
alchav21 alchav21 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
alchav21's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
ST George, Utah
1
2
2
52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesfan129 View Post
I love iTunes, buy most of my music there, but not movies. The thing that kills it for me is the DRM and that most of the encodes look worse than somebody who ran the Blu-ray through x264 on their computer. What would make my day is if Blu-ray players could decrypt iTunes DRM so that I could watch all my purchases off of an external HDD on my Blu-ray player. iTunes as an app. I don't see why it couldn't be done. And I don't get why UV codes stopped being redeemable in iTunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
It doesn't matter how many servers the movies are stored on. I'm not worried that the studios are going to accidentally lose the files. I'm worried that they will lose the rights to movies or TV shows. I'm worried that they'll remove titles because they don't want to sell them. This has already happened with plenty of titles and it will become more and more common.

With physical media the used market ensures that there is no possible way that anyone can prevent a title from being available.
Either that or they'll take them off of the purchase sites in favor of streaming. Music is going in the same direction.
You guys have to wake up and smell the Digital, Discs are a thing of the past. Technology moves fast, one day Blu-ray was King and the next day people are wondering what happened. Discs had a good run, but now it's all about Digital Streaming. I saw this coming years ago when I Streamed DVD Video from my Home Server. I think it's a good thing to watch First Run Movies when they come out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:13 AM   #2008
PCFan PCFan is offline
Expert Member
 
Oct 2008
202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
You guys have to wake up and smell the Digital, Discs are a thing of the past. Technology moves fast, one day Blu-ray was King and the next day people are wondering what happened. Discs had a good run, but now it's all about Digital Streaming. I saw this coming years ago when I Streamed DVD Video from my Home Server. I think it's a good thing to watch First Run Movies when they come out.
When I go to Best Buy and see someone carry out a TV, it says 4k on the box 4 out of 5 times and I would not be surprised if their main 4k source was 4k streaming from one of the major subscription streaming services.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #2009
Mr Kite Mr Kite is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2012
UK
367
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Infancy, where have you been.....It's here now, and only getting better. I don't buy Disc anymore if it doesn't have a Digital Copy. I watch all my movies on Streaming now, it's getting to be a waste of money buying Disc. I see barrels of Blu-ray going for $5, and no one buying them because few have Digital Copies. The demise of the Disc is just around the corner!
I hope not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #2010
PenguinMaster PenguinMaster is offline
Banned
 
May 2009
1800
380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
You guys have to wake up and smell the Digital, Discs are a thing of the past. Technology moves fast, one day Blu-ray was King and the next day people are wondering what happened. Discs had a good run, but now it's all about Digital Streaming. I saw this coming years ago when I Streamed DVD Video from my Home Server. I think it's a good thing to watch First Run Movies when they come out.
How is this an argument against our points? We are well aware that digital is popular and will continue to get more popular. But all of the problems we mentioned will continue to exist no matter how popular it is. The studios love digital because they have full control over it; they're never going to give up that control.

We don't have to support digital just because it's popular and frankly I'm not sure why you care that we do. Since the studios prefer digital and digital is getting more popular the physical supporters aren't doing digital any harm... no matter how many titles we buy on physical media everything will still be released digitally. Obviously the opposite isn't true, more people supporting digital means less support for physical media and less titles available on physical media.

Please stop comparing ripping your own physical media to digital media. The important thing is the distribution method, not how you watch it. If you get content physically from the studios but watch it digitally via rips that's still physical distribution.

Last edited by PenguinMaster; 12-18-2016 at 12:31 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #2011
stonesfan129 stonesfan129 is offline
Senior Member
 
Jun 2016
Wisconsin
122
10
2
Default

The only reason studios are pushing streaming is because then you have to keep paying them whereas with physical you pay once and own it forever.

Last edited by stonesfan129; 12-18-2016 at 12:53 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:18 PM   #2012
master gandhi master gandhi is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
master gandhi's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
United States
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesfan129 View Post
The only reason studios are pushing streaming is because then you have to keep paying them whereas with physical you pay once and own it forever.
You're thinking of a subscription serivice. We're talking more about digital services like iTunes and VUDU. There's no monthly cost with them.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
flyry (12-20-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 04:16 AM   #2013
alchav21 alchav21 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
alchav21's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
ST George, Utah
1
2
2
52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
You guys have to wake up and smell the Digital, Discs are a thing of the past. Technology moves fast, one day Blu-ray was King and the next day people are wondering what happened. Discs had a good run, but now it's all about Digital Streaming. I saw this coming years ago when I Streamed DVD Video from my Home Server. I think it's a good thing to watch First Run Movies when they come out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
How is this an argument against our points? We are well aware that digital is popular and will continue to get more popular. But all of the problems we mentioned will continue to exist no matter how popular it is. The studios love digital because they have full control over it; they're never going to give up that control.

We don't have to support digital just because it's popular and frankly I'm not sure why you care that we do. Since the studios prefer digital and digital is getting more popular the physical supporters aren't doing digital any harm... no matter how many titles we buy on physical media everything will still be released digitally. Obviously the opposite isn't true, more people supporting digital means less support for physical media and less titles available on physical media.

Please stop comparing ripping your own physical media to digital media. The important thing is the distribution method, not how you watch it. If you get content physically from the studios but watch it digitally via rips that's still physical distribution.
It's not only popular, but mainstream too. You Disc Lovers put Digital down because you say it's not as good as Physical, when in fact it's all Digital now. Your Slogan, that Streaming and Downloads are the Death of the preservation of The Arts, does not make sense anymore. You have to go all the way back to Film, to really put meaning to your Slogan. When I talked about Streaming DVD from my Home Server, that was Decades ago that I would put DVD Files to Stream to my HDTV. My only concern, and point is that HD Digital and Physical are one in the same when the BitRate is equal. With the right set up and Bandwidth this is possible, especially with FTTH.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #2014
PenguinMaster PenguinMaster is offline
Banned
 
May 2009
1800
380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
It's not only popular, but mainstream too.
Saying that digital is popular and mainstream isn't an argument about its merits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
You Disc Lovers put Digital down because you say it's not as good as Physical, when in fact it's all Digital now.
The files on a disc are digital, but they are distributed physically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Your Slogan, that Streaming and Downloads are the Death of the preservation of The Arts, does not make sense anymore. You have to go all the way back to Film, to really put meaning to your Slogan.
Digital distribution isn't as good as physical distribution because the studios have full control: they can make a title unavailable at any time... I've stated this repeatedly. If a title is unavailable then it isn't preserved, that's what my signature is referring to. The used market prevents this from ever happening with physical media.

There is a reason I said "streaming and downloads" rather than "digital" in my signature. I don't have a preference of analog over digital. I have a preference of physical distribution over digital distribution.

Last edited by PenguinMaster; 12-19-2016 at 01:59 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:10 PM   #2015
pabloccb pabloccb is offline
Senior Member
 
pabloccb's Avatar
 
Sep 2014
13
243
5
55
Default

Sorry, but physical copies are forever. Digital depends on computers, internet connection, streaming services. Remember when Prince catalog used to be on Spotify and then he dediced it shouldn't be there anymore. I still have my cd's.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
stonesfan129 (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #2016
stonesfan129 stonesfan129 is offline
Senior Member
 
Jun 2016
Wisconsin
122
10
2
Default

I don't understand why it's still illegal to buy the physical disc and create your own digital copies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:29 PM   #2017
PenguinMaster PenguinMaster is offline
Banned
 
May 2009
1800
380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesfan129 View Post
I don't understand why it's still illegal to buy the physical disc and create your own digital copies.
Because the studios have powerful lobbyists. It's also illegal to remove DRM from purchased digital copies for the same reason.

Last edited by PenguinMaster; 12-19-2016 at 03:35 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:38 AM   #2018
alchav21 alchav21 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
alchav21's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
ST George, Utah
1
2
2
52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Your Slogan, that Streaming and Downloads are the Death of the preservation of The Arts, does not make sense anymore. You have to go all the way back to Film, to really put meaning to your Slogan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
The files on a disc are digital, but they are distributed physically.

There is a reason I said "streaming and downloads" rather than "digital" in my signature. I don't have a preference of analog over digital. I have a preference of physical distribution over digital distribution.
I see your point now, you're not putting down Digital Streaming but from the point of Distribution, Physical is better. That may be so, but the way I see it, it will only get more expensive. 4k is around $30, and Blu-ray $20 for new releases. I know you Disc Lovers count on the prices even lower, like you said, the used market. So I think what will happen, especially with 8k, 16k+, is the prices will keep going up. It's all about supply and demand, even in the used market. So if you want Disc, you're going to pay for it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:05 AM   #2019
PenguinMaster PenguinMaster is offline
Banned
 
May 2009
1800
380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
I see your point now, you're not putting down Digital Streaming but from the point of Distribution, Physical is better. That may be so, but the way I see it, it will only get more expensive. 4k is around $30, and Blu-ray $20 for new releases. I know you Disc Lovers count on the prices even lower, like you said, the used market. So I think what will happen, especially with 8k, 16k+, is the prices will keep going up. It's all about supply and demand, even in the used market. So if you want Disc, you're going to pay for it!
New release digital titles are around $20 as well. The studios will charge whatever they think customers will pay, regardless of the costs associated with distribution.

4K sales have been pretty good lately and they'll go lower as 4K becomes more popular. At launch Blu-ray frequently went for $35-$40 but 4K is already cheaper than that. If I'm not mistaken DVDs launched for even higher. Prices are trending downward for all media.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:10 AM   #2020
Lowenbotten Lowenbotten is offline
Junior Member
 
May 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
I see your point now, you're not putting down Digital Streaming but from the point of Distribution, Physical is better. That may be so, but the way I see it, it will only get more expensive. 4k is around $30, and Blu-ray $20 for new releases. I know you Disc Lovers count on the prices even lower, like you said, the used market. So I think what will happen, especially with 8k, 16k+, is the prices will keep going up. It's all about supply and demand, even in the used market. So if you want Disc, you're going to pay for it!
Knock it off already. Your act is tiresome. Do you have some kind of personal stake in digital goods? You seem determined to convince everyone that digital is superior to the point of saying things that are blatantly untrue, especially your claim that Vudu = Blu-ray (it doesn't). Yes, I know you'll go on about fiber to the home. Fiber to the home doesn't magically make the video source, Vudu's files on their servers, the same as Blu-ray.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:16 AM.