Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Romeo and Juliet (Blu-ray)
$21.49
22 hrs ago
12 Angry Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
Triangle of Sadness 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.54
 
The Fisher King 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
Jet Li Double Feature: The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
The Running Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
8 hrs ago
The Seventh Seal 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
Bates Motel: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$53.40
4 hrs ago
Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.98
4 hrs ago
Secret Admirer (Blu-ray)
$17.99
22 hrs ago
Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99
 
Westworld: Season Four 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2018, 07:07 PM   #10001
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
116
855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
I vote CV19 be the pro physical spokesperson. You kept it brief and made some fine points without making it personal. Which I’m guilty of too. My wife and I literally came across our old Blockbuster and local video stores when purging for the move Dustin44. It has been so long I can’t remember when ours closed their doors.
I consider CV a true online friend. He is a absolute gent. Having said that, too many egos in here for that to work!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (07-15-2018), dublinbluray108 (07-16-2018), Vilya (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #10002
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
116
855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
Yes, horror is my favourite genre closely followed by sci-fi. You're absolutely right about the cover art - I recall getting Driller Killer one night which had that very famous image on the cover and remember the film not being anywhere near as gory as the image would have indicated. I'm guessing the video was a heavily cut version of the film, as back in those days the BBFC (British Film Censors) were cracking down on so-called 'video nasties'.
Hammer horror especially if I remember correctly? My fave Christopher Lee film is The Wicker Man. Think I might have mentioned it!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #10003
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
511
4677
3706
1250
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
Yes, horror is my favourite genre closely followed by sci-fi. You're absolutely right about the cover art - I recall getting Driller Killer one night which had that very famous image on the cover and remember the film not being anywhere near as gory as the image would have indicated. I'm guessing the video was a heavily cut version of the film, as back in those days the BBFC (British Film Censors) were cracking down on so-called 'video nasties'.
As a horror film fan, what do you think of A Quiet Place? I am curious what a fan, any fan, of classic horror thinks of this most recent release.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #10004
CV19 CV19 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Hammer horror especially if I remember correctly? My fave Christopher Lee film is The Wicker Man. Think I might have mentioned it!
I love the Hammer films too. Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Boris Karloff are definitely my favourites of the British actors, and out of the many American actors I admire, Vincent Price has to be the very best for me. It's a coincidence they all happen to be well known horror actors.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (07-16-2018), Dustin44 (07-15-2018), Steedeel (07-15-2018), The_Donster (07-15-2018), Vilya (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #10005
CV19 CV19 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
As a horror film fan, what do you think of A Quiet Place? I am curious what a fan, any fan, of classic horror thinks of this most recent release.
I'm afraid I haven't got round to seeing that one yet Vilya. In fact in all honesty, there's quite a few recent horror films that I have yet to catch up on, and there are a number of them which have come highly recommended. As I now only work part-time, I'll have more opportunity.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #10006
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
87
681
Default

IIRC, in the early 2000's there was a Blockbuster board member (with a lot of shares) that had a background in kiosk and tried to get Blockbuster to move in the direction of kiosk. I believe MacDonald’s already had some in place.

Redbox purchased the MacDonald’s kiosk business and did a great job of expanding it to most of the US. Blockbuster tried to get into the by-mail and kiosk business but it was to little and way too late. Last I looked Redbox had > 41,000 kiosk. Never used them, Netflix delivers BD to my mailbox .
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #10007
gotmule gotmule is offline
Special Member
 
gotmule's Avatar
 
Feb 2010
20
17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
As a horror film fan, what do you think of A Quiet Place? I am curious what a fan, any fan, of classic horror thinks of this most recent release.
I really enjoyed it. Second half was pretty much non stop tension. It could have been the third Cloverfield movie as it somewhat fits that universe. One of the better Atmos mixes for those who are interested and have that in their setup.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (07-15-2018), Dustin44 (07-15-2018), Vilya (07-15-2018), Wendell R. Breland (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #10008
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
116
855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
I love the Hammer films too. Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Boris Karloff are definitely my favourites of the British actors, and out of the many American actors I admire, Vincent Price has to be the very best for me. It's a coincidence they all happen to be well known horror actors.
Yep, Love Vincent Price. His first big film was ‘House Of Wax’ which I own on 3D Blu-ray. Masterful transfer with some superb depth.

Last edited by Steedeel; 07-15-2018 at 09:39 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (07-15-2018), Vilya (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 09:26 PM   #10009
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
116
855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
I'm afraid I haven't got round to seeing that one yet Vilya. In fact in all honesty, there's quite a few recent horror films that I have yet to catch up on, and there are a number of them which have come highly recommended. As I now only work part-time, I'll have more opportunity.
It’s a cracker CV19.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #10010
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
511
4677
3706
1250
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Yep, Love Vincent Price. His first big film was ‘House Of Wax’ which I own on 3D Blu-ray. Masterful transfer with some superb depth.
I bought that 3D blu-ray recently; I need to watch it. I have never seen House Of Wax in 3D.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:53 PM   #10011
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
116
855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I bought that 3D blu-ray recently; I need to watch it. I have never seen House Of Wax in 3D.
Watch it man, it’s great.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #10012
The_Donster The_Donster is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
The_Donster's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas
1
216
231
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Having said that, too many egos in here for that to work!


Speaking of which, are some of you trolling one another at this point? I went to see where alchav21’s posts in the forum and saw some familiar faces in every thread they post in
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #10013
CV19 CV19 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Yep, Love Vincent Price. His first big film was ‘House Of Wax’ which I own on 3D Blu-ray. Masterful transfer with some superb depth.

A terrific film mate. I've always liked Price's non-horror films too, which he made in the 1940's such as Laura and Dragonwyck which I also have on Blu-ray. A versatile actor, he was excellent in dramas and comedies - I love the one he did with Peter Lorre called Comedy Of Terrors. If you haven't seen that one, check it out.

My favourite series of Vincent Price's films are the Edgar Allan Poe adaptations he made with Roger Corman in the 1960's. Brilliant gothic horror films.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
It’s a cracker CV19.
Thanks for the recommendation. I think it's out on disc next month, so I'm having that one. Somehow I know I'm going to enjoy it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 10:19 PM   #10014
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
511
4677
3706
1250
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
A terrific film mate. I've always liked Price's non-horror films too, which he made in the 1940's such as Laura and Dragonwyck which I also have on Blu-ray. A versatile actor, he was excellent in dramas and comedies - I love the one he did with Peter Lorre called Comedy Of Terrors. If you haven't seen that one, check it out.
I recently bought Dragonwyck, too. I have yet to watch it. I sense a Vincent Price marathon coming soon.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:22 PM   #10015
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
116
855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post


Speaking of which, are some of you trolling one another at this point? I went to see where alchav21’s posts in the forum and saw some familiar faces in every thread they post in
Not at all, I’m ashamed to say I include myself in that. Something I’m working on.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #10016
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
116
855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
A terrific film mate. I've always liked Price's non-horror films too, which he made in the 1940's such as Laura and Dragonwyck which I also have on Blu-ray. A versatile actor, he was excellent in dramas and comedies - I love the one he did with Peter Lorre called Comedy Of Terrors. If you haven't seen that one, check it out.

My favourite series of Vincent Price's films are the Edgar Allan Poe adaptations he made with Roger Corman in the 1960's. Brilliant gothic horror films.




Thanks for the recommendation. I think it's out on disc next month, so I'm having that one. Somehow I know I'm going to enjoy it.
Yeah, comedy of terrors was very good. I actually prefer Price to the also excellent Cushing and Lee.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:35 PM   #10017
CV19 CV19 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I recently bought Dragonwyck, too. I have yet to watch it. I sense a Vincent Price marathon coming soon.
Excellent. I would also like to have added Leave Her To Heaven which I saw many years ago, and Twilight Time did release it on Blu-ray but I gather it's now unavailable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Yeah, comedy of terrors was very good. I actually prefer Price to the also excellent Cushing and Lee.
To tell you the truth when I first signed up on this forum, I was trying to decide whether to have Price for my avatar or Lee. I would have been perfectly happy to have Price, but in the end I settled for Lee because with me being a Brit, I thought it was more appropriate to have a Brit actor too.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 10:42 PM   #10018
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
511
4677
3706
1250
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
Excellent. I would also like to have added Leave Her To Heaven which I saw many years ago, and Twilight Time did release it on Blu-ray but I gather it's now unavailable.
Amazon.es has Leave Her To Heaven for 12.99 euros. It is region free, English audio, but it only has Spanish subtitles, apparently.

https://www.amazon.es/Leave-Her-to-H...A1AT7YVPFBWXBL
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (07-15-2018), Steedeel (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #10019
CV19 CV19 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Amazon.es has Leave Her To Heaven for 12.99 euros. It is region free, English audio, but it only has Spanish subtitles, apparently.

https://www.amazon.es/Leave-Her-to-H...A1AT7YVPFBWXBL
Thanks for that link Vilya. The only issue I have with Blu-rays from Spain is that they are usually on burnt discs rather than original pressed ones. In saying that, it's a reasonable price as I think the Twilight Time disc was around $30 with shipping on top of that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #10020
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
511
4677
3706
1250
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
Thanks for that link Vilya. The only issue I have with Blu-rays from Spain is that they are usually on burnt discs rather than original pressed ones. In saying that, it's a reasonable price as I think the Twilight Time disc was around $30 with shipping on top of that.
It is being sold directly from amazon.es, so that might lessen the likelihood of getting a burned disc.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (07-15-2018), Steedeel (07-15-2018)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:26 PM.