Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
12 Angry Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
2 hrs ago
Triangle of Sadness 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.54
1 day ago
Romeo and Juliet (Blu-ray)
$22.78
1 day ago
The Seventh Seal 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
Programmed to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.13
8 hrs ago
Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99
 
Westworld: Season Four 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
If I Had a Million (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 hr ago
House of the Dragon: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.50
21 hrs ago
Red Eye 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
Doctor Who: William Hartnell - Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$49.69
 
The Prince of Egypt 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.98
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2022, 04:10 PM   #1
happynerd happynerd is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2021
EU
Default How to learn to "understand" pictures quality on a movie?

Hi guys, I love movies since always but I'm not good on valuate blu ray and 4k picture quality. how can I learn to recognize contrast, dnr, hdr, color grade etc? What do I have to look in particular? I hope I was clear, sorry for the bad language
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:30 PM   #2
formula_nebula formula_nebula is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
formula_nebula's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
363
1706
66
509
10
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynerd View Post
Hi guys, I love movies since always but I'm not good on valuate blu ray and 4k picture quality. how can I learn to recognize contrast, dnr, hdr, color grade etc? What do I have to look in particular? I hope I was clear, sorry for the bad language
That's a tough one. Only because you would have to go into extreme detail, to explain all those. If you're looking for the best possible release on a certain movie, I would read the site reviews, or reviews from members.

Or, are you trying to make sure your TV is properly calibrated?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 02:54 PM   #3
happynerd happynerd is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2021
EU
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_nebula View Post
That's a tough one. Only because you would have to go into extreme detail, to explain all those. If you're looking for the best possible release on a certain movie, I would read the site reviews, or reviews from members.

Or, are you trying to make sure your TV is properly calibrated?
No I just want to train my eye to recognize this things
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:15 AM   #4
Landing5000 Landing5000 is offline
Junior Member
 
Nov 2021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynerd View Post
No I just want to train my eye to recognize this things
I am not the most trained at this, but for movies that were originally shot on film, a great way to see if there is DNR or not is to look for film grain, which will appear as a bunch of dots/"texture" on the film that personally reminds me of the texture of sandpaper. This makes the film not have a smooth look to the colors on it. This, in turn, makes it look different from "clean" digital camera shots and DNRed films and if present normally means that there is little or no DNR on the film.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:26 PM.