Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Coco 3D (Blu-ray)
£12.00
3 hrs ago
You Were Never Really Here (Blu-ray)
£7.49
 
Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
£12.99
 
Justice League (Blu-ray)
£7.49
 
The Professionals: MkI (Blu-ray)
£8.92
23 min ago
Loveless (Blu-ray)
£7.49
 
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
£17.99
 
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
£4.99
 
The Mind of Mr Soames (Blu-ray)
£14.99
 
Halloween (Blu-ray)
£7.00
 
Papillon (Blu-ray)
£7.00
17 hrs ago
The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
£9.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #141
thecooldud thecooldud is offline
Senior Member
 
thecooldud's Avatar
 
Jul 2017
The interior of my own mind
154
1
Default

According to sales statistics classic Who actually sells way more DVDs and Blus than the new series, so it's perhaps unsurprising the BBC wants to do more special editions and animations!

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-...f-2017__21680/
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The 4th Doctor (02-12-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 06:28 AM   #142
The 4th Doctor The 4th Doctor is offline
Member
 
The 4th Doctor's Avatar
 
Nov 2016
Time, And Relative Dimensions In Space
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooldud View Post
According to sales statistics classic Who actually sells way more DVDs and Blus than the new series, so it's perhaps unsurprising the BBC wants to do more special editions and animations!

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-...f-2017__21680/


That's really good to know, as I'm a huge fan of the original classic series, but have hated the series reboot since it came back in 2005.

Thank You for that link.

I liked Christopher Eccleston as the Doc in that first season of the 2005 reboot, I thought he was good, and the series felt as if it had some potential early on in that first season, but unfortunately it soon became obvious the writers / producers of the reboot had no intention of making the series as it had been in the past, and the character, and manner of the Doctor were to be different, chiefly his relationships with his assistants. Which in the past were based on friendship, but were now to be more...romantic?! Quite ridiculous really (in my opinion), I mean the Doctor in 'love'? With his assistants?

Also the 2005 series reboot was obviously, intentionally meant to be more (for want of a better word), 'comedic' than its predecessor, and it's just been too odd, and silly in my opinion. The original was odd as well, yes, but not odd stupid, as the newer series has been.

The stories have been mostly dreadful, and just plain stupid. The characters annoying.

The reboot to me wound up being a huge disappointment, and I left it after the dreadful David Tennant took over, as by then it sunk in, it was never going to be anything other than what the new writers / producers wanted it to be - a Romantic Comedy set in time, and space.

I just can't relate to it, and don't wish to.

I really feel the BBC damaged the legacy of the original by bringing it back.

Sorry, I digress, I like the original only, but understand the reboot has been very popular.




DOC
"I'm a Time Lord...I Walk in Eternity."

Last edited by The 4th Doctor; 02-11-2018 at 06:34 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
thecooldud (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #143
thecooldud thecooldud is offline
Senior Member
 
thecooldud's Avatar
 
Jul 2017
The interior of my own mind
154
1
Default

The sad thing is, I actually thought it was getting back on track somewhat with the first Matt Smith season (not least as his character seemed more like the Doctor of old)... and then it went careering wildly out of control for the rest of the Moffat era.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #144
SoundableObject SoundableObject is offline
Member
 
May 2013
Liverpool
379
370
6
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooldud View Post
The sad thing is, I actually thought it was getting back on track somewhat with the first Matt Smith season (not least as his character seemed more like the Doctor of old)... and then it went careering wildly out of control for the rest of the Moffat era.
Agree completely. Series 5 was brilliant. Series 6 was such a let down and by 7 I decided it was time to stop watching.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
thecooldud (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #145
Fnord Prefect Fnord Prefect is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Fnord Prefect's Avatar
 
Jul 2015
818
11
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooldud View Post
The sad thing is, I actually thought it was getting back on track somewhat with the first Matt Smith season (not least as his character seemed more like the Doctor of old)... and then it went careering wildly out of control for the rest of the Moffat era.
Indeed. Series 1 and 5 are by far the best New Who seasons, heck even the one genuinely poor 2005 episode is well directed and kind of fun making it way better than later troughs. After series 5 IMO both Smith's potentially old school characterisation and Moffat's story arcs quickly and seriously went off off the rails never to recover, to the point he pretty much wasted his last four years and potentially one of best actors ever to play the Doctor.

It's no secret I have little to no belief things will change for the better under Chibnall. Who as I know and love it is very much dying and will probably be dead come episode 10 series 11 (figuratively rather than literally as haven't series 12 and 13 already been commissioned?) Which is a shame.

Last edited by Fnord Prefect; 02-11-2018 at 06:03 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
thecooldud (02-11-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 05:51 AM   #146
The 4th Doctor The 4th Doctor is offline
Member
 
The 4th Doctor's Avatar
 
Nov 2016
Time, And Relative Dimensions In Space
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 4th Doctor View Post
I liked Christopher Eccleston as the Doc in that first season of the 2005 reboot, I thought he was good, and the series felt as if it had some potential early on in that first season, but unfortunately it soon became obvious the writers / producers of the reboot had no intention of making the series as it had been in the past, and the character, and manner of the Doctor were to be different, chiefly his relationships with his assistants. Which in the past were based on friendship, but were now to be more...romantic?! Quite ridiculous really (in my opinion), I mean the Doctor in 'love'? With his assistants?




I felt the same about the 1996 Who movie. I thought the movie itself was absolutely dreadful, and was unfortunately a harbinger of things to come on the reboot which was still almost 10 years away, but that the actor chosen to play the Doctor (Paul McGann) was an excellent choice.

I liked McGann a lot, and thought him to be worthy, he looked the part, and played it well - with confidence. He had a charisma much like Pertwee, and Baker did, but unfortunately the movie was as I said, a warning for the future Who universe, and the direction it was to take, featuring a very different Doctor, a Doctor in love.

A shame that McGann was never called upon to continue as the Doctor in the 2005 reboot, though ultimately I don't suppose it would've made a bit of difference as the writers / producers were still going to have it their way, regardless of who played the role, and it was, and still is a way I could never be interested in.

While we're on the subject, it wasn't so long ago I stumbled on an interview with the actor Christopher Eccleston, who of course played the Doctor so well in that '05 season, and Eccleston dropped hints at just why he left the series after only one year. Apparently Eccleston had signed on expecting a different series from the one we saw, he'd excepted a more serious show himself, and had trouble with some of the comedy aspects featured. In short - he felt it was too funny. Now he doesn't come straight out, and say that, as he was careful with his words, but that was his meaning. I'm an even bigger fan of his now for knowing it. I was initially sad to see him go after such a short time on the series, but after (finally) hearing his reasons all these years later, and I'm in total agreement with him, and having respect for him as to why he left.

Apparently he protested, and the producers didn't agree with him, so it was by mutual decision that he left the series after only one season.

Our loss, as he was a good Doctor.




DOC
"I'm a Time Lord...I Walk in Eternity."

Last edited by The 4th Doctor; 02-13-2018 at 09:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Fnord Prefect (02-13-2018), thecooldud (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 08:00 AM   #147
moorje moorje is offline
Member
 
moorje's Avatar
 
Sep 2017
London, UK
544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 4th Doctor View Post

While we're on the subject, it wasn't so long ago I stumbled on an interview with the actor Christopher Eccleston, who of course played the Doctor so well in that '05 season, and Eccleston dropped hints at just why he left the series after only one year. Apparently Eccleston had signed on expecting a different series from the one we saw, he'd excepted a more serious show himself, and had trouble with some of the comedy aspects featured. In short - he felt it was too funny. Now he doesn't come straight out, and say that, as he was careful with his words, but that was his meaning. I'm an even bigger fan of his now for knowing it. I was initially sad to see him go after such a short time on the series, but after (finally) hearing his reasons all these years later, and I'm in total agreement with him, and having respect for him as to why he left.

Apparently he protested, and the producers didn't agree with him, so it was by mutual decision that he left the series after only one season.

Our loss, as he was a good Doctor.

DOC
That's odd because a few interviews I've seen with him speaking about it he said he did Doctor Who because he had never done a family show before and wanted to try something more comic for the first time. He's been quite open about leaving the show because the production was so chaotic and didn't respect the way one of the directors treated the cast.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The 4th Doctor (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #148
Fnord Prefect Fnord Prefect is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Fnord Prefect's Avatar
 
Jul 2015
818
11
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorje View Post
That's odd because a few interviews I've seen with him speaking about it he said he did Doctor Who because he had never done a family show before and wanted to try something more comic for the first time. He's been quite open about leaving the show because the production was so chaotic and didn't respect the way one of the directors treated the cast.
Don't remember hearing him say he specifically wanted to do something more comic but I do remember him talking about wanting to a family show and considering the behind the camera talent involved and the show's reputation it seemed an ideal part to go for.

Never figured out which director he had such a problem with other than it wasn't Joe Ahearne who he's expressed admiration for.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The 4th Doctor (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 08:21 PM   #149
The 4th Doctor The 4th Doctor is offline
Member
 
The 4th Doctor's Avatar
 
Nov 2016
Time, And Relative Dimensions In Space
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorje View Post
That's odd because a few interviews I've seen with him speaking about it he said he did Doctor Who because he had never done a family show before and wanted to try something more comic for the first time. He's been quite open about leaving the show because the production was so chaotic and didn't respect the way one of the directors treated the cast.


Hmmm...Well I wish I could find the interview for you to read.

I found the interview, read it, then deleted the link weeks ago after I had originally bookmarked it, as I was done reading it.

I found it, because I had (several weeks ago) come across a video interview with Christopher on Australian TV (of all things) speaking of his role on the Drama 'The A Word'.

I'm a fan of Christopher's, as well as 'The A Word', so I watched the video, and was pleasantly surprised when Christopher was then asked (briefly) about his time on Doctor Who, as I had never heard him speak at all of Doctor Who since he'd left the series abruptly.

He didn't say much about the series, but I was intrigued, and decided to 'google' Christopher Eccleston, as I was hunting for any further comments from him regarding Doctor Who.

It was then I found an interview (can't say when the interview was from - how old it was?) with Christopher discussing his departure from Doctor Who, and since I had always liked him, and been very disappointed when he had left, I read with much interest.

Now I know Christopher is a very versatile actor, and he doesn't mind comedy. I've seen him do it, and he obviously does it very well, (just see him on 'The A Word' he does a fair amount of comedy mixed with drama on that series) but I think what he was saying in the interview, was that even though he knew there was going to be some comedy in Doctor Who, there was more comedy in the Doctor Who role that he was required to do than he had initially been led to believe when he was signing on.

I guess he thought the series was going to be more serious than what it was, and he disagreed with producers about the comedy aspect, and so that was that. He couldn't reach an agreement with them, and left by mutual decision.

I really wish I could find that interview for you, if I do, I will let you know.



DOC
"I'm a Time Lord...I Walk in Eternity."

Last edited by The 4th Doctor; 02-14-2018 at 07:54 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:31 PM   #150
The 4th Doctor The 4th Doctor is offline
Member
 
The 4th Doctor's Avatar
 
Nov 2016
Time, And Relative Dimensions In Space
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord Prefect View Post
Don't remember hearing him say he specifically wanted to do something more comic but I do remember him talking about wanting to a family show...

That could explain why he joined the cast of 'The A Word'.

It really is a family drama.

A good series, and I've enjoyed Christopher's character on it.



DOC
"I'm a Time Lord...I Walk in Eternity."
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #151
kidc kidc is offline
Active Member
 
kidc's Avatar
 
May 2015
191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 4th Doctor View Post
A shame that McGann was never called upon to continue as the Doctor in the 2005 reboot, though ultimately I don't suppose it would've made a bit of difference as the writers / producers were still going to have it their way, regardless of who played the role, and it was, and still is a way I could never be interested in.
Have you heard any of the Big Finish productions starring McGann? I know it's not really a substitute for a TV series, but it did give McGann a chance to stretch his legs and properly become the Eighth Doctor. I haven't listened to that much of his series, but what I have heard was good. Chimes at Midnight lived up to the hype.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Lord Okon (06-29-2018), The 4th Doctor (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 09:17 PM   #152
The 4th Doctor The 4th Doctor is offline
Member
 
The 4th Doctor's Avatar
 
Nov 2016
Time, And Relative Dimensions In Space
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidc View Post
Have you heard any of the Big Finish productions starring McGann? I know it's not really a substitute for a TV series, but it did give McGann a chance to stretch his legs and properly become the Eighth Doctor. I haven't listened to that much of his series, but what I have heard was good. Chimes at Midnight lived up to the hype.


Yes I have heard of those.

Here in the U.S., back in the late 1990's / early 2000's I used to get a popular SCI-FI merchandise magazine in the post called '1 800 Trekker'.

That magazine had a fair amount of WHO merchandise, and I can recall the Big Finish Productions from then.

(Unfortunately the 1 800 Trekker business seemed to depart this planet as suddenly as the TARDIS! Which was a shame, as I had ordered some nice WHO goodies back in the 90's from them, items that were all UK import, and at that time still hard to get over here in the states)

I do remember though, Thank You for bringing that up.

I never did listen to any, but maybe one day, as it's obvious that the new TV series itself will never have anything of any worth to offer me.



DOC
"I'm a Time Lord...I Walk in Eternity."
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #153
kidc kidc is offline
Active Member
 
kidc's Avatar
 
May 2015
191
Default

As you're clearly a big Who fan I think Big Finish are absolutely worth a shot, and not just the McGann stuff. If you're more interested in the Classic stuff, they have a range where they go back and produce commissioned but unfilmed scripts (Lost Stories), some are definitely better than what we actually got on TV... Can't guarantee you'll like BF, as they have a different vibe to the Classic series, but in my opinion they're miles ahead of what the new series is doing.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The 4th Doctor (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #154
The 4th Doctor The 4th Doctor is offline
Member
 
The 4th Doctor's Avatar
 
Nov 2016
Time, And Relative Dimensions In Space
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidc View Post
As you're clearly a big Who fan I think Big Finish are absolutely worth a shot, and not just the McGann stuff. If you're more interested in the Classic stuff, they have a range where they go back and produce commissioned but unfilmed scripts (Lost Stories), some are definitely better than what we actually got on TV... Can't guarantee you'll like BF, as they have a different vibe to the Classic series, but in my opinion they're miles ahead of what the new series is doing.


Well you've really got me curious now!

I've never done the audiobook thing before, but there's always a first time.



DOC
"I'm a Time Lord...I Walk in Eternity."
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:20 PM   #155
Darby1985 Darby1985 is offline
Senior Member
 
Darby1985's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Middlesborough, England
1403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 4th Doctor View Post
Well you've really got me curious now!

I've never done the audiobook thing before, but there's always a first time.



DOC
Well, remember it's not just an audiobook - it's full cast dramas. Essentially just the same as on TV without the pics - full casts, full sound effects and scores.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The 4th Doctor (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 12:37 AM   #156
drsyn71 drsyn71 is offline
Active Member
 
drsyn71's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
Monrovia, Indiana U.S.
2
Default

Thought I'd throw in some thoughts on WHO. I'm in the U.S. as well and am boggled as to why the Beeb have left us out in the cold when it comes to Power Of The Daleks and Shada NOT being released on Blu-ray here in the states. For a juggernaut of a corporation such as the BBC who seem to be making money hand over fist when it comes to WHO merchandising, they are really dropping the ball.

I ordered the limited editon (region-free) 3 disc Shada steelbook from Amazon.co.uk last year. I'm very pleased with it. Some have been upset with it not being in episodic format, but I am fine with that. I started watching WHO in 1984. I was 13. WPDS Channel 59 in Indianapolis started showing Tom Baker episodes on Saturday night in the "movie" format in a 2 hour block with commercials. Up until this point, I had only HEARD of Doctor Who and seen pictures in Starlog and Fangoria magazines. I actually like watching the story all together in one go. After that, WFYI PBS Channel 20 In Indianapolis started showing WHO sometimes all together on one day of the week or they'd show it weeknights an episode at a time. It's just personal preference, I guess.

Once again, I think the BBC is dropping the ball when it comes to WHO. I really like Paul McGann and wish they'd do a season of episodes and call it THE LOST YEARS or THE WAR YEARS or something. We got to see a snippet of him in Night Of The Doctor and then he regenerated into what we now call "The War Doctor", played by John Hurt. But it looked like McGann's doctor had been fighting for quite a time in the war as well. Or even have his stories BEFORE the time war. They could have a whole second production team doing it while the "regular" production team is going. They could air THE LOST YEARS after the regular season and have WHO in some form or another on the air for a year straight. It's really sad the wait time in between seasons. SO much wasted time. It reminds me of how fans of The Sopranos would wait what seem to be FOREVER for more episodes.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Fnord Prefect (02-15-2018), The 4th Doctor (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:24 AM   #157
The 4th Doctor The 4th Doctor is offline
Member
 
The 4th Doctor's Avatar
 
Nov 2016
Time, And Relative Dimensions In Space
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby1985 View Post
Well, remember it's not just an audiobook - it's full cast dramas. Essentially just the same as on TV without the pics - full casts, full sound effects and scores.


Yeah, silly of me really.

I could've put that better, as an Audiobook is something usually read by the Author, or an individual, but as you say the Big Finish Productions stories include cast members. So most certainly not the same as a regular audiobook.





DOC
"I'm a Time Lord...I Walk in Eternity."
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #158
Fnord Prefect Fnord Prefect is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Fnord Prefect's Avatar
 
Jul 2015
818
11
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 4th Doctor View Post
Yeah, silly of me really.

I could've put that better, as an Audiobook is something usually read by the Author, or an individual, but as you say the Big Finish Productions stories include cast members. So most certainly not the same as a regular audiobook.





DOC
Actually the AudioGo audio books of the Target novelisations can be very good. I buy the CDs and rip them as mp3s which i copy onto my phone and listen to them when I'm on the train, tram or (spits in disgust) bus if i'm feeling to ill or tired to bother reading.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The 4th Doctor (02-15-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:23 PM   #159
The 4th Doctor The 4th Doctor is offline
Member
 
The 4th Doctor's Avatar
 
Nov 2016
Time, And Relative Dimensions In Space
Question

Well, it's now been 2 weeks since I ordered my Shada Steelbook from Zavvi, and I haven't seen it yet.

I'm nervous, not because it seems everyone else here has said they had theirs in hand within a week of ordering, but because Zavvi offers absolutely no way to track my package, so I don't have a clue as to where in the world it is at this moment.

I could have had tracking on it, but it would've cost an additional $20!!!

There was no way I was going to pay a fee that large to track something I just bought from them, when most other retailers offer free tracking.

I think Zavvi should have tracking with every order, and NOT charge for it, but then that's just my opinion.


Anyway, the dates I was told to watch for the package, were from the 19th February - 20th.


WHAT happens if I don't receive it?


HOW do I contact Zavvi?


This is the worrying part for me, as I have already been told here that their Customer Service is not good.

If anyone here has any good contact info for me - If, and when I need that info - I would appreciate it.

I'll give it until next Friday (3 weeks), and then I'll contact my Credit Card company, and ask them to deal with it.

I'm not assuming anything yet, but just preparing myself for what might happen.





DOC
"I'm a Time Lord...I Walk in Eternity."

Last edited by The 4th Doctor; 02-17-2018 at 05:00 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #160
malcy30 malcy30 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-
1
Default

The only way to contact Zavvi is via the online message system in the order history online. No email or phone contact available.

They do respond but take their time so don’t be surprised with a 24 hour delay in them responding to each of your messages.

I think shipping to the US they would probably not consider anything lost in post for at least a month. To start talking about credit card chargebacks without contacting them and after 3 weeks is rather unfair. I know my bank need proof you have tried to contact them and been unable to resolve the situation before they would even consider a chargeback.

Here in the U.K. we face the same the other way. Amazon.com is a month but they now track every order whilst WoWHD is 2 months !
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Tags
doctor who, tom baker

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:25 AM.