Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
£12.99

The Professionals: MkI (Blu-ray)
£8.92
20 hrs ago
You Were Never Really Here (Blu-ray)
£7.49

Justice League (Blu-ray)
£7.49

Loveless (Blu-ray)
£7.49

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
£17.99

Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
£4.99

Papillon (Blu-ray)
£7.00
13 hrs ago
Halloween (Blu-ray)
£7.00

The Mind of Mr Soames (Blu-ray)
£14.99

The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Finding Your Feet (Blu-ray)
£7.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 12-22-2017, 09:46 PM   #101

Jul 2017
The interior of my own mind

It's nonsense, whichever way you slice it.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:30 PM   #102

Feb 2017
Middlesborough, England

I really hope this does well enough to at least get a few more done. Evil Of The Daleks would be a real treat.
Thanks given by:
Lord Okon (06-29-2018)
Old 12-24-2017, 06:22 AM   #103

Oct 2009
Calgary, Canada

Can this be played on an american ps3 or ps4?
Old 12-24-2017, 09:10 AM   #104
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
UK

It is 50i content.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:48 PM   #105
Special Member

Nov 2011
Melbourne, Australia

Started watching this the other night and it sounded like they used the First Doctor theme over the Fourth Doctor's titles?
Throne of Elves Princess Nerwin: Beautiful, pretty, elegant, alluring, hot, radiant, enchanting, stunning, attractive and very, very sexy!!

Frozen's Elsa: Attractive, alluring and sexy with the loveliest hips.

Barbie in CGI: An Exquisite Beauty
Old 12-25-2017, 01:33 AM   #106

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformr162 View Post
Can this be played on an american ps3 or ps4?
I can't speak for American PS3s, but I just received the Blu-Ray as a Christmas gift and can confirm that it plays on my American PS4.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:36 AM   #107
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKorman View Post
I can't speak for American PS3s, but I just received the Blu-Ray as a Christmas gift and can confirm that it plays on my American PS4.
As said earlier the disks arenít region locked so will play on any PS. The problem for most Americans is the content is 50i so you need a TV capable of playing that format and most in the US canít.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:25 PM   #108

Sep 2015

Anyone else having issues with blocky artefacts at the bottom of the picture during the 16mm scenes or just me? Particularly noticable during the punting scene.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:00 AM   #109

Jul 2017

Have to say, this was absolutely delightful. It's still a bit weird that it's not episodic (contrary to the "explanation" we got above, you can tell where the cliffhangers would be and they're all pretty much around the 23/24 minute per episode mark, as they would be, so it really doesn't make any sense and the cynic in me suggests it's solely for the sake of showing it in cinemas) but it is still utterly wonderful (I say that as a long time fan who has always loved this story even in the "narrated" VHS form).
Delightful. More please!
Old 01-19-2018, 05:32 AM   #110

Nov 2016
Time, And Relative Dimensions In Space
Question

Please forgive me if I missed it, but I don't believe that anyone here has commented on the one thing that I haven't seen anyone, anywhere else on any online forum I visited, here in the U.S. complaining about, and that is, that the 3-disc Steelbook version of the Blu-Ray is NOT to be released here in the U.S. at all.

Sure, the regular Blu-Ray will be released here in the U.S., later in the year (September I believe?), BUT from what I've read, and seen, so far, the BBC has no plans to release the Steelbook in the U.S...

Yes, I know - it can be had quite easily on Amazon, and elsewhere online.

Unfortunately, I've also read the many complaints on Amazon from those who live in the U.S., and purchased the Steelbook - only to find out that even though it's listed as being "0 REGION", or "ALL REGION" - that it doesn't actually play!

Many buyers were able to access the menus, but little else...

This stopped me from purchasing the Steelbook, which really was a disappointment, as I was looking forward to it, but what's the point in buying something that MIGHT work?

So, I'm curious...Are there ANY members here who live in the U.S., and bought the Steelbook, and have actually been able to access ALL the content with no problem?

If so - I love to hear about it. Also, I'd be interested in hearing from those who couldn't get it to play, as I'm sure others here would be interested in reading of your accounts.

I don't know WHY the BBC isn't going to release the Steelbook here in the U.S.??? It really p*sses me off.

There are many serious WHO fans here in the U.S. I'm actually from the UK, and grew up there as a child, Tom Baker was (still is) my Doctor, and I have everything I can get my hands on from him, as well as Jon Pertwee, and Peter Davison on DVD / Blu-Ray.

As for 'Shada'...I have all the previously released versions... actually there's only a few, but I also have the original VHS.

I wrote the BBC several times making inquiries regarding the Steelbook - will it be released here in the U.S. and I never received any word from them. Which tells me - it WON'T be made available as a proper REGION 1 only release. So it's either you take your chances, and buy the supposed "ALL Region" Steelbook UK release online, and hope you didn't waste your money, or you forget about the Steelbook altogether, and settle for the regular U.S. release...later this year.

If anyone here has any news on the U.S. version that I'm not aware of, or I wrote something wrong, please I beg you - enlighten me.

I'd LOVE to be wrong, and it turns out there are plans after all for the Steelbook to be released in the U.S.

DOC
"I'm a Time Lord...I Walk in Eternity."
Old 01-19-2018, 06:00 AM   #111
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 4th Doctor View Post
Please forgive me if I missed it, but I don't believe that anyone here has commented on the one thing that I haven't seen anyone, anywhere else on any online forum I visited, here in the U.S. complaining about, and that is, that the 3-disc Steelbook version of the Blu-Ray is NOT to be released here in the U.S. at all.

Sure, the regular Blu-Ray will be released here in the U.S., later in the year (September I believe?), BUT from what I've read, and seen, so far, the BBC has no plans to release the Steelbook in the U.S...

DOC
I hate to point it out, but as it stands it seems a standard Blu-ray may not be released in the US, let alone the Steelbook. This follows the same pattern as The Power of the Daleks the previous year, where the US settled just for the DVD.

Technically the Blu-ray is region free, however its encoded as interlaced 1080i50 footage, thus presenting it at the correct frame-rate and allowing the studio videotape footage to retain is video 'look'.
If it was presented at 1080p24 then it would be presented as progressive footage and at the incorrect frame-rate.

The problem for the US is some players struggle with 1080i50 content, hence why there is some ambiguity over whether it's actually region free.

It's up to you whether you take the chance or not.

There is a ray of hope though, as later this year they're starting to do Classic Who season Blu-ray sets, with the first set being Tom Baker's first season, so Shada may be on the Season 17 set.

Last edited by Jezza; 01-19-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #112

Dec 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
I hate to point it out, but as it stands it seems a standard Blu-ray may not be released in the US, let alone the Steelbook. This follows the same pattern as The Power of the Daleks the previous year, where the US settled just for the DVD.

Technically the Blu-ray is region free, however its encoded as interlaced 1080i50 footage, thus presenting it at the correct frame-rate and allowing the studio videotape footage to retain is video 'look'.
If it was presented at 1080p24 then it would be presented as progressive footage and at the incorrect frame-rate.

The problem for the US is some players struggle with 1080i50 content, hence why there is some ambiguity over whether it's actually region free.

It's up to you whether you take the chance or not.

There is a ray of hope though, as later this year they're starting to do Classic Who season Blu-ray sets, with the first set being Tom Baker's first season, so Shada may be on the Season 17 set.
Is there a demand for non-film non-animated Classic Who on blu-ray? Presume these will be moderately priced barebones or vanilla releases as I can see many fans (myself included) reacting angrily if all the bonus material from the DVDs is replicated thus rending our collected over many years and at considerable expense DVD collections technically obsolete.

I like the idea of a visually improved series 12 blu-ray set on DW Shelf 1 nestling between my DVDs of Planet of the Spiders and Robot (or just as likely between Revenge of the Cybermen and Terror of the Zygons) but I'm not inclined to upgrade if it means purchasing an expensive boxed set to replace my rendered obsolete and all but worthless DVD copies.

Last edited by yer wot?; 01-19-2018 at 01:32 PM. Reason: "an" not "as"
Old 01-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #113
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by yer wot? View Post
Presume these will be moderately priced barebones or vanilla releases as I can see many fans (myself included) reacting angrily if all the bonus material from the DVDs is replicated thus rending our collected over many years and at considerable expense DVD collections technically obsolete.
Why would it? You've had them for literally years.

Your DVDs aren't obsolete unless you choose them to be. No one would be forcing you to buy them again.
Thanks given by:
Lord Okon (06-29-2018), thecooldud (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #114

Dec 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Why would it? You've had them for literally years.
I won't be buying any Classic Who blu-ray sets if they replicate and perhaps add to the DVD bonus material as I feel that would be a money grab and disrespectful to fans.

I just think it would make better commercial sense to make available a release without the majority or any of the DVD bonus material. I'm a fan and if the A/V quality is noticeably improved I'm happy to re-purchase for example The Ark In Space. But if BBC Worldwide think having already invested in the original and Special Edition releases I'm paying extra for a third chance to own documentaries and commentaries I've no interest in watching again they can go whistle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Your DVDs aren't obsolete unless you choose them to be. No one would be forcing you to buy them again.
Which is kind of the point I made in the second paragraph: I'm not inclined to replace if...

Last edited by yer wot?; 01-19-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #115
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by yer wot? View Post
Is there a demand for non-film non-animated Classic Who on blu-ray? Presume these will be moderately priced barebones or vanilla releases as I can see many fans (myself included) reacting angrily if all the bonus material from the DVDs is replicated thus rending our collected over many years and at considerable expense DVD collections technically obsolete.

I like the idea of a visually improved series 12 blu-ray set on DW Shelf 1 nestling between my DVDs of Planet of the Spiders and Robot (or just as likely between Revenge of the Cybermen and Terror of the Zygons) but I'm not inclined to upgrade if it means purchasing an expensive boxed set to replace my rendered obsolete and all but worthless DVD copies.
It seems not as they appear to be producing some new extras and that some members of the Restoration Team are involved.
At this stage it's just rumour, but there are indications from various outlets/people that it's true.

I too was opposed to the idea of Classic Who season sets at first, especially as I spent 10+ years collecting the DVDs. However, many of the earlier releases have pretty poor encodes compared to the later ones.
I watched An Unearthly Child just last night and it looks awful at times, it just looks too soft a fuzzy. A Blu-ray would certainly give it a sharper, more pleasing image even if it's not full HD.

Plus some of the original camera negatives exists for a handful of stories, so the location footage for those could at least be presented in HD.
The camera negatives for all of Peter Davison's first season (Season 19) all exist, so I'd consider that a very worthwhile release.

I remain skeptical, but they may be worth it if done well.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #116

Nov 2016
Time, And Relative Dimensions In Space
Question

Quote:

Ahh, I see...I thought I'd read somewhere that there would be at least the regular Blu-Ray for the U.S., hmmm...the BBC's attitude towards WHO fans outside the UK is strange to me. One could argue that the States helped to keep the series alive back in the 90's, after the BBC had canceled it in 1989, as the PBS stations across the U.S. continued to play the classic series...Of course eventually the BBC forced those same PBS stations to either purchase the new upcoming reboot of the WHO series in 2005, or lose out completely, as they made it apparently impossible for the PBS stations to continue to afford to broadcast the classic original series, as PBS had since the 1970's...there's gratitude for you.

Quote:

That's news to me...are you 100% sure? Do you have any links?

I'd never before heard that the BBC was to RErelease the CLASSIC ORIGINAL DOC WHO on BLU-RAY?

Though I also admit I haven't kept up on release dates of the series in the last couple years, because all the classic episodes had all been released on DVD. So there was no point in keeping track of it anymore, or so I thought...other than the occasional special release such as 'Shada' anyway.

From what I understood, the classic series would never be released on Blu-Ray, because it just wasn't possible. All the classic episodes were filmed on regular tape, with one exception - 'Spearhead from Space'.

The very first episode to ever feature the late, great Jon Pertwee, was 1970's Spearhead from Space which was shot entirely on 16mm film, allowing for a true 1080p transfer to be created. This was always understood, and WHY I bought ALL the Doctor Who episodes when they were released on DVD. I had them all on VHS, but DVD was always going to be welcome. However, the BBC made it clear that Spearhead from Space would be the only complete original classic adventure to be released in Blu-ray, and so it was...now you're telling me something I've never heard before, that the BBC is going to be rerealesing the classic episodes on Blu-Ray? For what purpose? Only to make money? I mean if they can't improve the quality from DVD to Blu-Ray, and I still believe they can't - then what's the point? Other than to screw all the people who already paid out for all the DVD's? It's probably just so they can store more episodes on disc, and I'm sure some collectors, and fans will like that, but I'm not going to take the bait on that. I'm happy with my DVD's. Cost me a small fortune, and took years to get them all, as the BBC's schedule was ridiculously slow, but I got them all in the end.

Anyway, I looked online after I read what you said, but couldn't find any info on the classic series being rereleased on Blu-Ray...so any links for me to follow would be appreciated. Years ago I had a friend online who ran a site for all the DOC WHO releases in North America - for the classic series only. It was a great site for reference. He quit the site, once all the original episodes had been released. Just like myself - he had no love for the series (2005) reboot. Still, I shall try to contact him, and see what he knows of these classic series Blu-Ray releases...

DOC
"I'm a Time Lord...I Walk in Eternity."
Old 01-20-2018, 07:09 AM   #117

Jul 2017

There's a link somewhere in this forum, it's season 12 supposedly out in March, billed as "Tom Baker: The Complete First Season".
Thanks given by:
yer wot? (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 07:37 AM   #118

Mar 2012
Monrovia, Indiana U.S.

Quote:
here's been some talk about it on tvshowsondvd.com:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-...ason-Blu/23925
Old 01-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #119
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 4th Doctor View Post
Ahh, I see...I thought I'd read somewhere that there would be at least the regular Blu-Ray for the U.S., hmmm...the BBC's attitude towards WHO fans outside the UK is strange to me. One could argue that the States helped to keep the series alive back in the 90's, after the BBC had canceled it in 1989, as the PBS stations across the U.S. continued to play the classic series...Of course eventually the BBC forced those same PBS stations to either purchase the new upcoming reboot of the WHO series in 2005, or lose out completely, as they made it apparently impossible for the PBS stations to continue to afford to broadcast the classic original series, as PBS had since the 1970's...there's gratitude for you.

That's news to me...are you 100% sure? Do you have any links?

I'd never before heard that the BBC was to RErelease the CLASSIC ORIGINAL DOC WHO on BLU-RAY?

Though I also admit I haven't kept up on release dates of the series in the last couple years, because all the classic episodes had all been released on DVD. So there was no point in keeping track of it anymore, or so I thought...other than the occasional special release such as 'Shada' anyway.

From what I understood, the classic series would never be released on Blu-Ray, because it just wasn't possible. All the classic episodes were filmed on regular tape, with one exception - 'Spearhead from Space'.

The very first episode to ever feature the late, great Jon Pertwee, was 1970's Spearhead from Space which was shot entirely on 16mm film, allowing for a true 1080p transfer to be created. This was always understood, and WHY I bought ALL the Doctor Who episodes when they were released on DVD. I had them all on VHS, but DVD was always going to be welcome. However, the BBC made it clear that Spearhead from Space would be the only complete original classic adventure to be released in Blu-ray, and so it was...now you're telling me something I've never heard before, that the BBC is going to be rerealesing the classic episodes on Blu-Ray? For what purpose? Only to make money? I mean if they can't improve the quality from DVD to Blu-Ray, and I still believe they can't - then what's the point? Other than to screw all the people who already paid out for all the DVD's? It's probably just so they can store more episodes on disc, and I'm sure some collectors, and fans will like that, but I'm not going to take the bait on that. I'm happy with my DVD's. Cost me a small fortune, and took years to get them all, as the BBC's schedule was ridiculously slow, but I got them all in the end.

Anyway, I looked online after I read what you said, but couldn't find any info on the classic series being rereleased on Blu-Ray...so any links for me to follow would be appreciated. Years ago I had a friend online who ran a site for all the DOC WHO releases in North America - for the classic series only. It was a great site for reference. He quit the site, once all the original episodes had been released. Just like myself - he had no love for the series (2005) reboot. Still, I shall try to contact him, and see what he knows of these classic series Blu-Ray releases...

DOC
The truth is like it or not, Classic Who outside the UK is an extremely niche product and a Blu-ray release would require a different encode to present it properly in the US. So that's extra time and extra expense where it may not be marketable enough to justify releasing it.

I'm not sure if you're aware but many of the Region 1 DVDs have subsequently gone out of print, possibly because they're no longer turning a profit. So it doesn't surprise me there is no US Blu-ray of Shada.

To be fair there was never any clarification that Spearhead would be the only Classic Who on Blu-ray, just that it appeared that way due to the nature of the existing source material. If I recall the Blu-ray actually came with a sticker saying "The First Classic Doctor Who Story on Blu-ray", so one could read into that that there were plans for more.

The Restoration Team have always said that if put on Blu-ray Classic Who could look better than the DVDs, if only for a slight improvement, because the nature of DVD results in far more compression than Blu-ray. They even scanned the episodes in HD and restored them as HD files so that all the detail could be extracted for the restoration, but that was reduced down for transferring to DVD.
Also, as I outlined in a previous post, some of the original film elements or negatives still exists for the location footage on some episodes, so a Blu-ray could present that in HD. (All of Peter Davison's first could be presented in HD)

And at the end of the day BBC Worldwide's purpose is always to make money, that's the point of season sets, especially now all the episodes have been released on DVD. If anything I'm surprised they haven't come out sooner.
And in fairness the only reason it took so long for them to be released on DVD was because they were restoring all the episodes from the ground up. Many of the early Pertwee episodes only exist as B/W film recordings, so they had to wait for technology to be affordable enough to be able to recolourise those episodes and that only became available around the end of the range.

The season set hasn't been officially announced, hence the lack of concrete evidence, but it did appear as a listing on Best Buy a month ago as well as an Australian site.

Here are a couple of sites that have the listing, as well as it being released in October:
https://www.moviesunlimited.com/doct...n/883929620111
https://shop.tcm.com/doctor-who-tom-...n/883929620111

There is also a thread on this forum:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=300192

The indication it's going to be part of a major rebrand of the show to tie in with Series 11.

If done well then Season sets could be an improvement over the DVDs, especially as there are still quite a few faults with the DVDs that I'm sure the Restoration Team would like to fix. Plus there are various things that couldn't have been included on the DVDs, such as better encoding (many of the early DVDs use a very old encode) and HD film footage. Plus for you and others in North America you'll finally be able to see Classic Who at full resolution as PAL has a higher resolution than NTSC.

We'll have to wait and see and I'm not keen on the idea of rebuying everything for a third time, but if handled properly and the Restoration Team are involved (and indications show that they are) then I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by Jezza; 01-20-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #120

Jun 2011

Forum for Baker Season 1 boxset

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=300192
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Tags
doctor who, tom baker