Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$5.00

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
18 hrs ago
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Midnight Cowboy (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Bull Durham (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Crimson Peak (Blu-ray)
$36.68

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 02-01-2018, 04:10 AM   #1

Jan 2011
Default Running front height speaker as Atmos in ceiling?

I have a question regarding front height speakers and was wondering if anyone can give some insights on using it as Atmos as in ceilings speakers. More specifically the placement.

I have an Integra revived DTR80.1, way before Atmos was even conceived however it is a 9.2 receiver that has the ability to have front height and front wide. Right now I have 5.2 setup but will eventually do a 7.2. My question is can I use the front height speaker in ceiling above where I sit and not above the front speaker. I know itís not true Atmos but with speakers over head it can give some sort Atmos feeling. Everywhere I read and even on Dolbyís website they say you can use the front height as Atmos and they prefer in ceiling. However they are not clear on the placement. From what I read it seems like people are saying use in ceiling but put it in top of the front stage. If I could place it above me and use the front height setting that would be great and when I eventually upgrade the receiver to a true Atmos receiver I would need to set up new speakers.

Anyone else have this issue or setup? I love my integra and really donít want to replace it. If I can replicate somewhat of an Atmos sound without upgrading everything that would great.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
PSN:krimsonking04
Old 02-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #2

Sep 2015
Glenview IL, Chicago Suburb

HA! I was actually thinking of running this experiment a few years ago, but said **** it and bought an Atmos Receiver. I ran front heights for years, and the sound effect was like my main speakers were 9 feet tall (from floor to ceiling) and I had what I would describe as a wall of sound coming at me. And I really liked the effect and it sounded great in my HT. But alas, I am sickened with upgradeitus, and Atmos beckoned.

Atmos is a totally different animal. Front heights are like an extension of the mains, where Atmos Tops are a dedicated channel. It is kind of like the difference in going from a Dolby Pro Logic II upgrade from a stereo source to a true Dolby Digital 5.1. Yeah you get the surround in Pro Logic, but it is what the receiver decided is the surround. The Dolby Digital has dedicated information going to each of the 5.1 speakers. However, you are going to run into a snare that most Blurays are not recorded in Atmos, so you are getting the DolbySurround program deciding what goes to the Tops. In my opinion, though, this Atmos-DolbySurround is vastly superior to the pre-Atmos upmixing technology.

Atmos upmixing tech >> pre-Atmos height effects.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #3

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy4547 View Post
HA! I was actually thinking of running this experiment a few years ago, but said **** it and bought an Atmos Receiver. I ran front heights for years, and the sound effect was like my main speakers were 9 feet tall (from floor to ceiling) and I had what I would describe as a wall of sound coming at me. And I really liked the effect and it sounded great in my HT. But alas, I am sickened with upgradeitus, and Atmos beckoned.

Atmos is a totally different animal. Front heights are like an extension of the mains, where Atmos Tops are a dedicated channel. It is kind of like the difference in going from a Dolby Pro Logic II upgrade from a stereo source to a true Dolby Digital 5.1. Yeah you get the surround in Pro Logic, but it is what the receiver decided is the surround. The Dolby Digital has dedicated information going to each of the 5.1 speakers. However, you are going to run into a snare that most Blurays are not recorded in Atmos, so you are getting the DolbySurround program deciding what goes to the Tops. In my opinion, though, this Atmos-DolbySurround is vastly superior to the pre-Atmos upmixing technology.

Atmos upmixing tech >> pre-Atmos height effects.
That makes a lot of sense and it was what I was afraid would happen if I put he height speakers above me instead of the front stage. It would then really sound like a looooong front stage since the heights are right above me and then go all the way to the fronts.

I do eventually want to get an Atmos receiver however I really love my Integra and if I can get away with Atmos like sound and mount the ceiling speakers without sacrificing to much. This could hold my "upgradeitus" for awhile and I would not to add speaker for Atmos as they will already be there.

I might just install the in ceiling speakers over me and hook them up to the height speakers and try it. If it sounds bad I'll just disconnect them and then wait to get the Atoms receiver then.

The other question I had was if the movie is decoded in 7.1 or Atmos will the front height speaker always activate? will it be always on?
Old 02-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #4

Sep 2015
Glenview IL, Chicago Suburb

I run a 5.1.4, which is the regular 5.1 with 4 Atmos speakers, Top Middles and Top rears. It is like I have an ear level surround system, and a ceiling level surround system working in unison.

As I pointed out, there are a disappointing number of Blurays that choose present their content in Atmos format. However that's not such a big deal since the DolbySurround and DSX are very excellent at filling in the gaps. (even DirecTV Dolby Digital sounds awesome.) So in the instance that I am watching a Bluray with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, my receiver plays the DTS 5.1 on my 5.1 speakers then the receiver adds DSX (or DolbySurround if you are in Dolby) to the Atmos top speakers. So it's the true playback PLUS the Atmos add-in.

If you have a bluray coded in Atmos, then it is pure audio glory!

If you choose to get a relatively high end Atmos receiver, basically you will have limitless options for speaker placement and sound configurations. So to answer your question, if you choose you can have your Atmos speakers always active or you can have your playback be true to the source material. It is all a matter of preference.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #5

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy4547 View Post
I run a 5.1.4, which is the regular 5.1 with 4 Atmos speakers, Top Middles and Top rears. It is like I have an ear level surround system, and a ceiling level surround system working in unison.

As I pointed out, there are a disappointing number of Blurays that choose present their content in Atmos format. However that's not such a big deal since the DolbySurround and DSX are very excellent at filling in the gaps. (even DirecTV Dolby Digital sounds awesome.) So in the instance that I am watching a Bluray with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, my receiver plays the DTS 5.1 on my 5.1 speakers then the receiver adds DSX (or DolbySurround if you are in Dolby) to the Atmos top speakers. So it's the true playback PLUS the Atmos add-in.

If you have a bluray coded in Atmos, then it is pure audio glory!

If you choose to get a relatively high end Atmos receiver, basically you will have limitless options for speaker placement and sound configurations. So to answer your question, if you choose you can have your Atmos speakers always active or you can have your playback be true to the source material. It is all a matter of preference.
Ok thanks!

That helps! I ordered my speakers and now have to install them! Can't wait to hear it.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:06 AM   #6

Jan 2018

Atmos encoding doesn't encode individual channels of sound but rather has data about where a sound's position is in 3d space. An Atmos receiver then figures out dynamically the best way to play the sounds given the 3d space position of the sound and your speaker layout.

I have a Yamaha RX-A770 Dolby Atmos capable receiver. I use front height speakers (called front presence speakers by yahama) and I have setup the receiver to know that I use this speaker configuration. The Atmos sounds really great most of the time and the receiver can combine sound from the height speakers and the surrounds to make it sound more overhead though sometimes I wish the sound was truly coming from directly overhead.

That being said a good Atmos audio track with my front height speakers is a wonderful experience.

LG OLED65B7P 65-in 4k TV ● Xbox One S UHD Blu-Ray Player ● Yahama RX-A770 Receiver with 6.1.2 Speaker Setup ● Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker ● Energy Connoisseur CF-30 200-Watt Tower Front Speakers ● Energy 2 Classic Satellite Front Presence and Surround Speakers ● Energy 2 Center Speaker Rear Center Channel
Old 02-16-2018, 05:57 PM   #7

Jan 2011

Quick update:

I did install all my speakers and set the Atmos speakers as height and they sound fantastic. Like I said it is not a Dolby Atmos receiver but with the height sound it really does a wonderful job in projecting sound up overhead.

I played Mad Max blu ray (not the Atmos track) and the receiver still decoded sound to 8 and 9the channel simulating the Atmos feel and let me tell you it sounded great. Overall I am really happy with upgrade. I can't imagine if I had a true Atmos receiver how it would sound.
Thanks given by:
evoll (02-16-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers